Closed Thread

post #181 of 192 Old 01-05-2006, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Freestepping is different from Sidestepping in DoA in that a lot of characters have special sidestep moves meant to use in SS evasion with built-in counter attacks.
so yeah, like I said, freestepping is pretty useless for evading attacks.

Quote:
As for button mashing against random holds, that pure scrub on scrub play only. Why would you counter hold randomly when you can simply BLOCK, as you would in any other fighter? The hold is for when you think you have a chance to gain something.
well if you read my post you would see that I'm not advocating randomly using a hold counter against scrubs. my beef is the relative ease that an attacker can stun a defender. I mean I understand you can break through defenses, but it shouldnt be so easy...and the defender is at such a huge disadvantage when he does get stunned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 192 Old 01-06-2006, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFreezed
I made a mistake buying this game. Not my cup of tea.

Going on eBay.

No more Japanese fighting games for me.

I got a good deal so I picked it up. I'm liking it more than I thought I would. The graphics are incredible but there's really no excuse for the suddenly disappearing and reappearing trees, animals, scenery, etc.

I guess we'll never see an English language track. Strange since the game has music tracks in English all over the place.........
post #183 of 192 Old 01-06-2006, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I must agree, the sidestep/freestep is somewhat useless in this game because it is true that the attacks track your movement. I also agree that you get stunned too easily. I'm on the fence about the counters, in one sense I would like for the counters to be a little easier to pull off, on the other hand, I don't want to have every move countered like the cpu does me. I agree with the previous poster about button random mashers having an advantage to a certain extent. It isn't easy to fine tune a fighting game, but this is still a great game. I never liked the older DOA games cuz the hits felt lightweight, but this one has some umph!
post #184 of 192 Old 01-06-2006, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
so yeah, like I said, freestepping is pretty useless for evading attacks.
Strictly for evading purposes it is useful for certain attacks, but not meant for attacks in general. A great case in point is Haybusa's Ninpo attacks (dissapearing). If someone is abusing the Ninpo against you then freestep evasion will allow you to avoid and position yourself for advantage against most of the Ninpo attacks, because they are airborne attacks.

Quote:
well if you read my post you would see that I'm not advocating randomly using a hold counter against scrubs. my beef is the relative ease that an attacker can stun a defender. I mean I understand you can break through defenses, but it shouldnt be so easy...and the defender is at such a huge disadvantage when he does get stunned.
The idea is that DoA provides all the blocking options (actually a bit more) that other 3D fighter do but it also provides the counter hold / reversal system for all characters. Thus defensive oriented options are stronger than normal and could make the game overly defensive.

Because of the stun system the game's shifts back to a more offensive posture, allowing you to pressure an opponent that is trying to sit back and wait for you to initiate everything..

The SS moves (up,up or down, down) and the rolls, weaves, ducks etc. are meant for the purposes you're stating. This is not a Namco style design so you have to learn more of the characters individual move properties to do some things like evade attacks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Insider thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
? R.I.P.
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
Samuel Johnson 1709-1784, British Author
post #185 of 192 Old 01-06-2006, 03:58 PM

I've noticed that button mashing depends on the progressive difficulty and character that the cpu is controlling.

Some I can't beat until I'm button mashing and others I can't beat unless I take a more defencive/strategic role. My brother is a button masher and I can win consistently against him, he'll get me very rarely.
post #186 of 192 Old 01-06-2006, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I'm sure the hardcore fighting fans will disagree with me on this one, but for us regular folk.....do you miss when fighting games didn't run at the blistering 60fps framerate?

It seems today the animations happen SO QUICKLY that I, as an aging gamer (heh heh) just can't keep up. Its like "BAM BAM BAM" I'm getting the snot beat out of me with animations that happen so fast I have no time to react. Sometimes I get lucky, but at the end of a gaming session my hands are clutching the controller like vice-grips from the stress of trying to not take too hard ofa beating from the CPU :)

The games that ran at 30fps meant the animations took a little longer to execute, which gave a lousy fighter like myself a chance block, and pick and choose my moves a little better.

I think once back in 83 I was in an arcade and a guy wanted to join in my Karate Champ match, I said "Sure". He was a few years older than I was, and proceeded to beat me senseless. He even paid for a few more games when I wanted to walk away, just to beat on me somemore. But, he did tell me "Dont do the flashy moves, stick to the basics if you wanna win!".

And thats when I realized something....I didn't WANT to just "win". I wanted to pull off flashy moves that sent my opponent flying to the floor with 10 different types of hurt on his body :)

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #187 of 192 Old 01-06-2006, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxcomet
The graphics are incredible but there's really no excuse for the suddenly disappearing and reappearing trees, animals, scenery, etc.
Yes there is. If they did not disappear then they would obscure your view of the match and make the game very difficult to play. How would you like being forced into a corner where you cannot see your character because of a wall or tree in the way? The other alternatives would be to have the players fight on rails or to have completely sparce environments where nothing would ever get between the camera and the players.
post #188 of 192 Old 01-06-2006, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rader
How would you like being forced into a corner where you cannot see your character because of a wall or tree in the way?
;) It would teach you not to get yourself stuck in a corner..........
post #189 of 192 Old 01-07-2006, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm sure the hardcore fighting fans will disagree with me on this one, but for us regular folk.....do you miss when fighting games didn't run at the blistering 60fps framerate?

It seems today the animations happen SO QUICKLY that I, as an aging gamer (heh heh) just can't keep up. Its like "BAM BAM BAM" I'm getting the snot beat out of me with animations that happen so fast I have no time to react. Sometimes I get lucky, but at the end of a gaming session my hands are clutching the controller like vice-grips from the stress of trying to not take too hard ofa beating from the CPU
Ahh, a fellow "aging gamer". Yup, fighters are faster and more complex, losing a lot of simplicity that made the early days so much fun. Well they are coming out with Street Fighter for Xbox arcade shortly. I just wish they would spiff up the graphics a bit a la "Geometry Wars". ;-)

Insider thread
? R.I.P.
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
post #190 of 192 Old 01-07-2006, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I think thats why I dig the re-emergence of the side-scrolling beat-em-up. They seem to have the same level of complexity as the original fighters, only now you get to whup-ass on a whole bunch of people onscreen at once :D

These include games like The Warriors. MK:Shaolin Monks, Hulk:Ultimate Destruction, and the like......Granted, I still fire up DOA3 from time to time on xbox, but without the hours to devote to actually getting good at any one character (beyond the most basic of moves like dragon-punch movements and double taps + buttons) I know I'll never be anything more than a quasi-buttonmasher.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #191 of 192 Old 01-09-2006, 03:13 PM

Hey guys, I bought DOA4 yesterday and so far I am enjoying myself. The fighting is really fun however to me it seems to be rather fast. For example, when I am fighting against the computer I have a hard time countering the moves because everything is happening so quickly.

Also, the computer seems to be really good at countering a great deal of my moves. It seems to know before I even know whether my attack will be high, middle, or low. It's hard for me to counter their moves since I really don't know where or how the attack is coming. It can sometimes get rather frustrating.

The graphics in the game are really nice for both the characters and the backgrounds. Team Ninja even included a gamma, brightness, and another option (forgot what) you can play with to get optimal picture quality. It would be nice that all games started coming with these types of features so that each game can be customized rather than just making a general set of levels for the whole TV.

I hope Team Ninja starts work on a sequel to Ninja Gaiden soon because seeing Ryu in the game really reminded me of the orignal on the X-Box and all the fun I had playing it.
post #192 of 192 Old 01-09-2006, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Also, the computer seems to be really good at countering a great deal of my moves. It seems to know before I even know whether my attack will be high, middle, or low. It's hard for me to counter their moves since I really don't know where or how the attack is coming. It can sometimes get rather frustrating.
AI is tougher in general and getting held by it definitley feels at times like it was "cheating".

Keep in mind the AI is somewhat punishing you for repetive play, so adding a few more moves and strings to your repoitoire could help.

Insider thread
? R.I.P.
Closed Thread Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page