AFH
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HangEmHi
I'm not quite sure if stealth is the word. More like cautious aggression and situational awareness in terms of use of (the right kind of) cover and movement.
Well, that works too. I don't mind that. As long as I know going in that the pacing of the game is gonna be kinda of slow due to being cautious, I'm okay with this aspect of the game.

"I'm going to call them scallywags" - Ollie

Xbox Live: Stunt1on1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 235 Old 03-09-2006, 12:16 PM

Liked: 10
There are still a bunch of guys to shoot and you won't lose if you get spotted.
post #93 of 235 Old 03-09-2006, 12:28 PM

Has anyone tried split screen and live combined?... I know it was an option when I went into multiplayer. Anyone know if you can use guest accounts or if you need two live gold accounts to play online?
post #94 of 235 Old 03-09-2006, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Has anyone tried split screen and live combined?... I know it was an option when I went into multiplayer. Anyone know if you can use guest accounts or if you need two live gold accounts to play online?
I haven't tried it but I believe it would work like Unreal Championship for Xbox. You would use guest accounts. My question is if everyone can have a headset or not. I would assume so since you can go with up to 4 people on 1 xbox 360 online for co-op and such. But I don't have 2 headsets so I wouldn't know
post #95 of 235 Old 03-09-2006, 12:50 PM

This game does rock, but the only thing that annoys me is the shooting recepticle circle thingy. (you know, the thing that shows you where you are shooting!). I don't like just having a big circle for where I'm shooting. I wish there was at least a point in the middle to show where the bullets will go mostly. Whenever I'm shooting it feels like I'm just hitting a general area and hope I hit the bad guys. It just doesn't seem to give you that accuracy feel that you get when playing previous GR games or SOCOM. This would be my only gripe, I don't feel like I have enough control over where specifically I'm shooting. Like if I felt like capping a guy in the legs from far away, the aiming circle is as big as the guy i'm trying to shoot on the screen, so I can't aim at a specific part of the body unless I use the zoom, which in some cases isn't the best to do with multiple hostiles in the area

Otherwise game friggin rocks 9/10
post #96 of 235 Old 03-09-2006, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Yea I have to agree with HamnEmHi, I don't think it is stealth but I think the word is tactical. Like Sam Fisher, you have some high tech tools to use in the battlefeild, if you use them right you'll surprise the enemy and have them down for the count before they can put down their tequila. You can send your team in one way while you flank the other way if you wish by using the 3d map.

Xbox GT: LENNY 2112
post #97 of 235 Old 03-09-2006, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
BrianEK, that's the point. The circle is bigger if you're moving, standing, etc, representing the fact that you can't aim well under those conditions and your bullets will just go in that general area. If you want to really hit what you're aiming at, you need to zoom.

An iron sight mode button like in Call of Duty 2 would be ideal, but what can ya do.
post #98 of 235 Old 03-09-2006, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
I gave it a high 8 out of 10. :D

I still haven't played single player or the training missions but this game by far blows COD2 out of the water in terms of multiplayer online expereince. We played some 12-16 player co-op games and we had zero lag, probably since our host had a 2mb up connection. ;)

I don't know if I'll ever get to touch single player for this game but the multiplayer alone has so far delivered my expectations so far.

My only gripe about the game so far is the auto-aim. With the sniper, the reticule moves very slow across the screen so it's hard to catch a beed on moving targets when you sight then a little too late. On top of that, when you do get a beed and the player is moving, the game decides that it wants to help you and jerks your reticule around with the autoaim. This sucks especially if you have a nice steady lead on your target and the game all of sudden jerks your reticule down to the left and then back again when all your are doing is moving your aim from left to right. :(

However as a Halo2 player, all I can say is One shot kills with the sniper makes this game very likeable. I wish there was an achievement for 1000 sniper leg shots. :D

BTW, yes you can have guests log on to play at least in the custom games. But for some wierd reason the player name shows up Gamertag(B1) and Gamertag(B2). Not sure where the heck they got "B2" from.
post #99 of 235 Old 03-09-2006, 02:56 PM

Anyone playing on a non-HD tv? I've been playing an hour, and it is really difficult to read the text. I went to my friend's place and everything was crystal clear on his hd LCD. Guess I should think about getting an HDTV.
post #100 of 235 Old 03-09-2006, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravel0524
Guess I should think about getting an HDTV.
Well, you've come to the right forum! :D

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #101 of 235 Old 03-09-2006, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravel0524
Anyone playing on a non-HD tv? I've been playing an hour, and it is really difficult to read the text. I went to my friend's place and everything was crystal clear on his hd LCD. Guess I should think about getting an HDTV.

Yes you should and TWC in Houston has the best HDTV lineup....

D.I.N.K

Double
Income
No
Kids
post #102 of 235 Old 03-09-2006, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

One thing that is stupid is the Rank Game system.. Yu can't join friends in ranked games and once the round is over you have to search for another one... Also if you're playing and you die you can still invite a friend into a private chat and help them in a game.. LAME.........

Why would you want to play a ranked game that's based on teamwork with people you don't know? Most are to quiet or don't have a clue about teamwork...

D.I.N.K

Double
Income
No
Kids
post #103 of 235 Old 03-09-2006, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

We didn't try any ranked games last night. So you're telling me that no parties are allowed when entering Ranked Games? That's pretty lame and just as bad as COD2.
post #104 of 235 Old 03-09-2006, 03:27 PM

I didn't realise there was auto-aim. I don't think the manual mentioned it. How does it work? Does it kick in when you click the "aim" or "scope" buttons? (Kinda like the left trigger on CoD2?)
post #105 of 235 Old 03-09-2006, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01
One thing that is stupid is the Rank Game system.. Yu can't join friends in ranked games and once the round is over you have to search for another one... Also if you're playing and you die you can still invite a friend into a private chat and help them in a game.. LAME.........

Why would you want to play a ranked game that's based on teamwork with people you don't know? Most are to quiet or don't have a clue about teamwork...
I haven't played the game yet, BUT just reading this and thinking....

I think the reason would be that they don't want a group that is always together and insanly good to just always whup up on everyone else. THis keeps some randomness, even in ranked games. I know that that is the point of ranked games in the first place, but they don't want a group of a bunch of people that are a team against a bunch of individuals when everyone wants to improve their rank.

Thats why in non ranked games its ok...thats where you go for fun, not serious.
post #106 of 235 Old 03-09-2006, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantMeThePower
Thats why in non ranked games its ok...thats where you go for fun, not serious.
Which is the opposite of how it should be if they want clans to be able to play. Why even bother if the games aren't ranked?
post #107 of 235 Old 03-09-2006, 04:38 PM

I really like this game and gave it an early 8/10, though Has anyone noticed this on their hd tv? It's strange but I'll try to describe it, it was very much like the "image tear(?)" I have seen in some games like PDZ and NFS. The easiest place to see this is at the splash screen for UBISoft when the game boots up. The UBisoft logo comes up in it's typical swril, but the graphic doesn't flow in one single image.. the image sort of breaks up into sections, being cut and shifted slightly by a horizontal line (like a 1 pixal line). Those lines break the image up about every 4 inches up and down the screen the screen.. It's so strange. I can sometimes see the same thing when I'm playing when I pan left to right some tesxtures sort of break apart as I pan, but then snap back togather very quickly... Anyone else notice this (look again closly at the ubisoft logo when it loads) It's quite annoying. I may make a seperate post on this because it's OT. If I didn't see this, the game gets a 9 or a 10. Vsync issue?
post #108 of 235 Old 03-09-2006, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Yeah, you're seeing some image tearing.........it happens on this game, in fact it happens on lots of games, its happend on the old Xbox and even on the PC with the UBISOFT logo as well.

There are some other graphical flaws in the game but nothing serious. HOwever, one thing I did find annoying was at the start of one of the levels, I think the one after the convoy ambush (the president speeds off in the APC). IF you look at the sign posts on the street, with the sun behind you, an invisible "box" lights up around them with HDR effects.

Its as though the HDR is rendering the entire object box, and not the actual pole in the center of that box. Its just one of those little sniglets you find now and again in a game but this one is kinda righ tthere at the start of the level, its hard to miss.

Also, I do have to take a bit of issue with the way HDR in this game is done. In some areas if you look the right way the entire SCREEN basically blacks out to the point where no contrast is visible. This makes no sense because your eyes will adjust, you ARE wearing a helmet and I'm betting those fancy goggles have some sort of POLARIZATION in them :)

HDR otherwise is great, but some areas I can see being REALLy frustrating for people running low contrast LCD's....or first generation DLP's.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #109 of 235 Old 03-09-2006, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ding62
I didn't realise there was auto-aim. I don't think the manual mentioned it. How does it work? Does it kick in when you click the "aim" or "scope" buttons? (Kinda like the left trigger on CoD2?)
For the few hours that we played last night, I stuck with only the sniper rifle as my weapon of choice with the occasional grenade throw. So I'm not sure how the othe weapons are.

It's like the Halo2 auto-aim but 2x more obtrusive. Basically if you have an enemy in your zoomed in sights start from the left of your screen and start walking in a straight line from left to right this will happen: If you have a perfect beed on the targets head when the enemy first shows up between your sights and you strafe to follow his head from left to right, the reticule will try to compensate and move the reticule ahead for you anticipating where the enemy is going to be. Sometimes the reticule will start moving too fast (leaving the targets head) and then compensate back but it will aim back towards the targets body as opposed to the head where you had originally started your target with. So you get this jerky reticule when you swipe it over your targets head.

I haven't tested it much last night but I wouldn't be surprised if it does the exact same thing as Halo2. Just zoom in the general target area, do a swipe with the reticule around the targets head, hit the trigger at the approximate time and the shot will auto aim for a kill.
post #110 of 235 Old 03-09-2006, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Auto Aim is invaluable in a game like this, because the controls aren't precise enough to play this game as anything BUT a sniper without the auto aim.

And by a sniper I dont mean with a nsiper rifle, but I mean in a manner where one camps out and aims carefully at targets of opportunity. Hence, the auto aim function (since you can't adjust the control speed) is a bit of a necessity. Blessing/Curse kinda thing.

Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #111 of 235 Old 03-09-2006, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Ok now that I've spent a couple of hours with this game and gotten somewhat comfortable with the controls I have to say well done 9/10. The only thing that realy fell short is the sound. COD2 sound blows it awayl They could have done a better job with the sound. I hope to see some of you soon online once I feel like I'm worthy. :p

RuFF RyDaH

Samsung 60 F7500

Denon 3808CI

Sony BDP-S790 3D/Bluray

Harmony 900

post #112 of 235 Old 03-09-2006, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

<Bitch Mode On>
Ok, spent more time in this game tonight, and have the following bitch complaints whiney bitch bitching.....

1) This is a creeping tactical shooter. Play it up if you want but its really about moving from cover to cover and taking your shots. But when suddenly, you are presented with a major action sequence..you know...like...your building blowing up and being beseiged with enemies....the controls are WOEFULLY inadequate. Yes eventually I got past it, LONG after the fun had gone out of it. It was 1 hour of "Well maybe I'll go here...no....dead. Maybe I'll go...over there...no, dead. Here? No...There? No...run out there? no no....here? blowed up. There? shot dead....over and over and over". ANd the thing is, if the controls were a bit..oh..snappier...or I had a freakin keyboard and mouse, it would have been heaven.

But its like...come-on.....why does throwing a grenade take 10 seconds to happen...???
Why isnt' there some nice little indicator throwing you "about where" your grenade will land when you throw it, as this game doesn't really offer a training mode that lets you practice tossing grenades, does it...!?!

2) Seriously, why on earth do they offer you an option to JOIN a game with someone on your friends list and you find that game has already started, and guess what...its an hour long and they're 2 minutes into it.....<SIGH>......

Everytime I saw someone playing online, the game was like 4 minutes into a 1/2 hour run.
Bleh. Gave up on Multiplayer quickly. Was it so hard to let someone else join the game IN game...??

3) I'm starting to get claustrophobic from the 3rd person view...its hard to describe, but the more I play the game, the more I wish I could turn off all the nicknacks on the screen because they block so much of the damn pretty graphics I'm supposed to be enjoying.

While the little cross-cam is cute, lets face it....its totally useless. It serves no purpose, save the one associated with the UAV, or watching a helo go in for a kill. Otherwise its just blocking valuable screen real-estate. I kinda wish the view was further back like Splinter Cell, zooming in only when you were actually zooming in (aiming).

STILL a great game...but man, sometimes definately frustrating. And being able to control your team members individually would be nice. I love having a sniper, ordering an attack on a distant target, and haveing all of your guys open up on the position....alerting everyone in town :)

<Rant off>

post #113 of 235 Old 03-09-2006, 11:20 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch
<Bitch Mode On>
Ok, spent more time in this game tonight, and have the following bitch complaints whiney bitch bitching.....
<Rant off>
You make some great points. On the multiplayer thing... I was not the host of the game and it was a private co-op session and I don't think you were on the friends list of the host. Sorry HeadRusch, didn't see the message until we were done.

I agree on the third person view. I do not like switching from left then right shoulder view and then my character blocks just where I want to look sometimes. I need to check out first person but then I guess there is no peaking around corners... which seems pretty damn useful. Overall, the controls are very slugish and cumbersome for close in fighting and I mean less then 20 feet distance. That's just the feeling it gives me though.

Co-op is awesome and the enemy is fairly smart at times, at least from what little of the game I have seen so far. I threw a smoke grenade and they rushed me through the smoke. It completely paralyzes the enemy in COD2...

Overall I am pretty damn impressed with the game. Very immersive and a game I will be playing for months. 9/10
post #114 of 235 Old 03-10-2006, 12:54 AM

Liked: 29
Im dissapointed by lack of southpaw controls...the game is ok, but no call of duty 2. Ill probably trade it in when oblivion comes out.....
post #115 of 235 Old 03-10-2006, 04:58 AM
Advanced Member

This is the first GR game I have ever played....I have played the first RB6 on PC back in the day, but other than that, I have no experience with this game........That being said....I have this game a 9 but that is only because I can't choose a 9.7 or so (I will never give a game a 10)........It doesnt take time to get used to this game and the more I play it the more I love it........I played co-op missions first with my father in law (split screen) and that was a blast. I did the training and some on the first mission......I love the graphic, sound and gameplay....I like the strategic style of play (I hate bunny hopping) and most definitely look forward to on-line play........
post #116 of 235 Old 03-10-2006, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evobrett
You make some great points. On the multiplayer thing... I was not the host of the game and it was a private co-op session and I don't think you were on the friends list of the host. Sorry HeadRusch, didn't see the message until we were done.
Oh thats alright, it wasn't the first time it happened! I tried jumping into Chris's game....same thing, tried into one of Streets games (I think)..same thing.
And hte only other online game I played was with daverJ and 16 people, and if the game wasn't lagging I was getting dropped from the server.

Soooooo my multiplayer experience hasn't been...stellar.

Quote:
and cumbersome for close in fighting and I mean less then 20 feet distance. That'sjust the feeling it gives me though.
Thats exactly what I'm talking about, you put it better than I did....sluggish.
I mean, slowing down the way it does in precise aim mode...thats fine with me,
but in the normal mode, its just a tad too slow to move around. Combine that with the auto-aim function and its a bit of a problem. Granted, with the controls the way they are, the auto-aim function in SP saves my ass more than once. In those action sequences I had very little time to work on my aim....so spray and pray was the order of the hour.

Quote:
Co-op is awesome and the enemy is fairly smart at times, at least from what little of the game I have seen so far. I threw a smoke grenade and they rushed me through the smoke. It completely paralyzes the enemy in COD2...
This happened to me too......but in a weird way. Enemy units were across a courtyard (this is right before you reach the presidents (burning) limo in an early mission. I popped smoke because the enemy was allll the way across the courtyard. So I figure, I'll pop smoke and run to the buildings across the plaza.
I pop smoke, switch to IR goggles....and suddenly I see like 3 guys 5 feet in front of me. !?!?!? Naturally I drop them......but its weird, the smoke makes em go crazy! They rush to it, and through it.

WHATS IN THAT SMOKE...!?!?!

Are these Opium Bombs!?!?

OH yeah..and imagine my joy when I found out those other buildings were tents...can you can shoot right through em.

FINALLY :) Tents that aren't made of kevlar!

post #117 of 235 Old 03-10-2006, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

whole the mp game rules finding a game is next to impossible. There are a few options though
1-Go to quick match and just let that find your game. It normally works on the first try for me but every once in a while it takes a few tries.
2-Join very very very quickly when your friends invite you. If you do not make it in on time then send a message to yoru friends. The host can quit back to the lobby, I do it all the time.

I can never search for team elimination games where it lists out all the servers, because when I try to join the game it has already started. The co op is a blast, its a shame there isnt more missions. The mp has a million options though, so I am still satisfied.
I am not having that auto aim sniper issue you speak of rusch. I will look closer again because I gave up ont he sniper early on. I know the rifles do not lock on to the best of my knowledge (nad eyeballs).
post #118 of 235 Old 03-10-2006, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

I think the AutoAim is only in singleplayer....in multiplayer the game is basically an enhanced version of Ghost Recon 2, which is fine by me. Single Player can drive me alittle batty sometimes tho.

how long is this game anyhow.....how many "helicopter rides" are there....

post #119 of 235 Old 03-10-2006, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

tons of chopper rides, you will always end up in a armored vehicle, transport, or chopper after each mission.
Ok, I know what you mean now by the auto aim. That is really annoying in single player. It should either lock onto the people or not. It locks on near them but you still have to aim, that is extremely frustrating.
post #120 of 235 Old 03-10-2006, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Well I picked this up yesterday and so far I am disappointed. The graphics are stunning. But the game lay so far I have found to be slow and a bit awkward.

Live was a disaster last night. Getting into games was tough as most of the time it told me that game was now full or i needed to wait for game to be completed. Then when I did get in, several servers shut down and when I actually played I would get spanked ini a minute or two and thats it since no respawn. Overall not happy so far :(

In general my experience with love on the 360 has been terrible. I never had these issues on the old xbox, live was always great. I even upgraded my dsl line since and it still stinks so it is NOT the line. I have tested bandwidth and thats not the issue. But my experience with Madden, COD2 and now GRAW has not been good.

Mark-
Closed Thread Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page