Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #181 of 235 Old 03-13-2006, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I am really enjoying GRAW, but am still getting used to the control system. I thought the D-Pad on the wireless controller was flakey while using it for weapon selection in Quake4. Now I'm convinced of it.

Clearaudio Ovation/Magnify/Concerto v2; Herron Audio VTPH-2
Naim Audio ND5XS/NAC282/HC/NAP250-2; Dynaudio S3.4e2; REL R-328
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 235 Old 03-13-2006, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver
Nice to see someone like me who isnt imressed with the game...give it time and you will find much more about it that is dissapointing.
I'm liking the game although I'm not a huge fan of squad based stuff. It just makes things a bit too busy.......I'd just assume let my squad get killed and play myself.........
post #183 of 235 Old 03-13-2006, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver
Nice to see someone like me who isnt imressed with the game...give it time and you will find much more about it that is dissapointing.
I am baffled by this post. "nice to see someone who isn't impressed etc etc"... What message are you trying to convey with this? I don't think I have read a more bitter or negative post this year.

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #184 of 235 Old 03-13-2006, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ.Cone
I am baffled by this post. "nice to see someone who isn't impressed etc etc"... What message are you trying to convey with this? I don't think I have read a more bitter or negative post this year.
You know it's O.K., there will always be some people who don't like every game that comes out. Part of it may be personal preference, and part may be that they don't give a game a fair shake becasue they aren't good at the technical controls of a game. If you don't "get" the essence of a game because you aren't understanding/making the effort to master the controls, then you can develop a sour attitude.

This sour attitude colors the game "negative" from then on for them. Have you ever seen a frustrated kid that throws a tantrum, nomatter which toy you put in its' hands, they throw it, get red faced, and cry. I think perplexed frustrated gamers exist as well.

Now, I am not personally making reference to the original poster. I do not know anything about him/her. I am just refering to situations I have seen before. I knew a gamer who just stopped playing Gun because they couldn't figure out how to beat the guy on the horse in the relative beginning of the game. He tried 10-15 times and then just quit. Not that Gun is a great game, but the idea that games don't get seen for what they truly are because of gamer frustration/lack of understanding. Just my 2 cents. :)
post #185 of 235 Old 03-13-2006, 10:22 AM

My wife picked up a copy from Fry's when it was $48 for me, and I played a few levels this weekend. I'm right at the first night mission (so as not to put up any spoilers). So far, I'm very impressed. I've never played a Ghost Recon game before, and I wasn't sure I'd like it. I tried Brothers in Arms on the X-Box and felt like I was playing an RTS from a first person perspective...didn't appeal to me. However, the sense of immersion in GRAW is REALLY impressive. You really do feel like you're in a true urban setting, and the need to stay under cover (or die) is palpable. The graphics are definitely impressive, especially when things are well lit. I find the HDR lighting to be gorgeous most of the time, but sometimes it darkens things enough so that things look kind of muddy.

Anyway, so far, so good. Based on my current experience, I gave it a 9/10.
post #186 of 235 Old 03-13-2006, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01
My personal favorite, SA80......
If only it were any good in real life. Woeful weapon.

After some early crashes I seem to be having fewer problems [fingers crossed] with only the odd glitch and instance of slowdown. I've been told this is due to a memory caching issue (whatever that is) but I've been unable to get any further information.
I've also read that the performance of this game can vary depending on the type of optical drive in the console. Allegedly, there are four variants. Ubisoft is aware and making a patch. This is all unconfirmed and I've just caught snippets on various mb's. Would be nice, if true.
It would be nice if patches weren't really necessary like on old skool consoles but, frankly, with the hardware and software getting this complex, I'm happy to have the option. Because this game is awesome when it's running well.
post #187 of 235 Old 03-13-2006, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangs55
Well I made it through the 2nd mission now w/o anymore problems...almost.

I am still getting one of my squad mates acting like he has tourette's on the first mission at the same spot.

I took a little video w/my digital camera to show you ubi what I'm talking about:
http://www.psalms4610.com/graw.avi

Oh well...that's the only problem I've had so far and it SHOULD NOT cause anyone to avoid this game. It's definately the best the 360 has to offer, and so far, one of the most immersive games I've played.
wow, that video is pretty funny, the problem is solved when you reset right?

Member of SFX-360: http://www.sfx-360.com
post #188 of 235 Old 03-13-2006, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamegod2x
wow, that video is pretty funny, the problem is solved when you reset right?
Nope :(

I can duplicate it at any time...even with the new disc I got.

XBOX - Hyperplasia | PS4 - Hyperplasia
post #189 of 235 Old 03-13-2006, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I got a question that has been started in another forum (xbox.com) about tearing in GRAW.. I finally was shown what it meant and I've actually seen it alot on MultiPlayer but not in SinglePlayer... Is this something they can patch or is it peoples TV..

If you don't know what tearing is this is what I was shown

http://www.filefarmer.com/Tomb/problem.jpg

D.I.N.K

Double
Income
No
Kids
post #190 of 235 Old 03-13-2006, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangs55
Well I made it through the 2nd mission now w/o anymore problems...almost.

I am still getting one of my squad mates acting like he has tourette's on the first mission at the same spot.

I took a little video w/my digital camera to show you ubi what I'm talking about:
http://www.psalms4610.com/graw.avi

Oh well...that's the only problem I've had so far and it SHOULD NOT cause anyone to avoid this game. It's definately the best the 360 has to offer, and so far, one of the most immersive games I've played.
I think you meant epilepsy. If he had Tourette's, he would be yelling obscenities over the cross com! :D
post #191 of 235 Old 03-13-2006, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Can anyone tell me if this game is two players?

Can you play split screen co-op? :)
post #192 of 235 Old 03-13-2006, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01
I got a question that has been started in another forum (xbox.com) about tearing in GRAW.. I finally was shown what it meant and I've actually seen it alot on MultiPlayer but not in SinglePlayer... Is this something they can patch or is it peoples TV.. [/url]
It is caused by vsync being turned off to get more frames per second. If they turned it on, the framerate of the game would drop significantly. They decided they'd rather have the tearing than a low framerate. Any patch to turn on vsync would most likely result in a pretty unplayable average framerate.
post #193 of 235 Old 03-13-2006, 03:44 PM

there is a single player only part, and then there are co-op missions, you can also play online with 3 guests (4 player split screen with more people online).

The co-op is really fun.
post #194 of 235 Old 03-13-2006, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ.Cone

no you are right..I am bitter about this game. Its just my opinion, but ill give you an explanaition. Sure I can appreciate the "overall scope of the game" and I have mastered the controls of the game...as another poster refered. The issue is they have "dumped" this game down in my opinion. There is less strategy involved then even the first Gohst regon. Why not at least give the option to control each player, choose what weapons each one carries. etc. These are not small details, but thing in my opinion which breaks this game.

At least if they gave this option then you could choose to play the game with strategy, or just as a typical shooter that looks pretty (as it currently is).

Sure the game is OK, but its missing A LOT to get a mark over 7 out of 10.

Maybe im wrong....but Im almost done the game on the Hard setting and am bored with it....

I dont knwo why but the fact that everyone is drooling over this game and it got a 9.2 just anoys me for some reason....it really does.
post #195 of 235 Old 03-13-2006, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

After playing demo's of the previous versions I just never could get into the tactical shooter genre. So I bought GRAW on hype and reviews alone and I'm happy to say I'm not disappointed in my purchase.
post #196 of 235 Old 03-14-2006, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
9/10

Awesome Multiplayer. The only downside is a shortage of maps. It doesn't play like Halo 2, but its fun enough to keep me from playing Halo 2 again.

The campaign is fun, but just like in the first two, the enemy soldiers can see you through trees, grass, hedges and will shoot you before you know they're there. On top of that your teammates are complete morons. They stand in the open, they walk across your line of fire, they will kill you and each other with RPGs. Unfortunately it's the first GR where you can't direct the team to crouch or lie prone, or force them to monitor a certain sector.

So whay a 9 out of 10 with all the problems of the campaign? Because the Online play is simply that good.

Nunc lento sonitu dicunt, morieris.
Now this bell tolling softly for another, says to me, Thou must die.
-John Donne

My Home Theater (QTVR)
"Thirst is worse than homesickness"
post #197 of 235 Old 03-15-2006, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 49
You can see enemies long before they can see you IF you take it slow and scan the horizon, your enemy indicator will show enemies through shrubs, solid objects, etc., just move...look, pause..move, look , pause.

RE: the team-mates, I find its best to send them to corners. You know, corners where they can provide strategic fire. Then you go, scout someone, and then designate a target for them to open up on. In a flat-out firefight I kinda just thorw em into assult mode and hope for the best ;)

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #198 of 235 Old 03-15-2006, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I picked up GRAW and am really enjoying it. I've just been playing the single player missions and tryed one local muliplayer coop with a couple buds vs. the pc. It was a lot of fun, but i felt like i didn't know how to set up the best game for us, but we still had a killer time.

Do you all get together at certain times and play all AVSforum style? I'd enjoy getting in on one of those if you do!
post #199 of 235 Old 03-16-2006, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I am NOT impressed with this game at all. the reviews and screenshots really overhyped this game. first major gripe is the framerate. not only does it NOT run at 60fps, it cant run at a steady 30fps either - I can easily see places where it drops down to the 20s - wtf? also this game is supposed to be "next gen" but if you look at the models, they are all pretty low poly still and the textures on many of the objects look really poor. I also have other minor gripes such as why cant you command a 30 ton apc to go over a roadblock made of wooden sawhorses? why cant advanced tactical assault rifles in the future have a grenade launcher AND scope mounted at the same time? if this is such a super elite team of operators why cant they do basic things like stack up behind me in recon mode when I'm peeking a corner or crouch down or lay prone when taking fire. I'm sure I can think of more lol.
post #200 of 235 Old 03-16-2006, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckshop
I am NOT impressed with this game at all. the reviews and screenshots really overhyped this game. first major gripe is the framerate. not only does it NOT run at 60fps, it cant run at a steady 30fps either - I can easily see places where it drops down to the 20s - wtf? also this game is supposed to be "next gen" but if you look at the models, they are all pretty low poly still and the textures on many of the objects look really poor. I also have other minor gripes such as why cant you command a 30 ton apc to go over a roadblock made of wooden sawhorses? why cant advanced tactical assault rifles in the future have a grenade launcher AND scope mounted at the same time? if this is such a super elite team of operators why cant they do basic things like stack up behind me in recon mode when I'm peeking a corner or crouch down or lay prone when taking fire. I'm sure I can think of more lol.
Boo f-ing hoo.
post #201 of 235 Old 03-16-2006, 01:24 PM

did you play the game or the demo? I've never had any problems with the frame rate or graphics.

the point is that it's still fun to a lot of people despite the team control deficencies you mention. Also, try the MP and realize that they did use every button on the controller but I'm sure they'll work to improve some things in the sequal
post #202 of 235 Old 03-16-2006, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
I am NOT impressed with this game at all. the reviews and screenshots really overhyped this game. first major gripe is the framerate. not only does it NOT run at 60fps, it cant run at a steady 30fps either - I can easily see places where it drops down to the 20s - wtf?
Where would those places be, I haven't seen any hint of the game running at anything less than a 30fps margin. 60fps in this game would be utterly wasted since its not a twitch-shooter, everytihng from the movement to the aiming speed is all carefully paced. 60fps would just refresh the screen quicker, which isn't necessary when it takes 10 seconds to do a complete 180...

Quote:
also this game is supposed to be "next gen" but if you look at the models, they are all pretty low poly still and the textures on many of the objects look really poor.
....how can you tell they are low poly versus high poly with high-end textures applied to them, exactly....?? You're talking out your @ss here dude....if you're referring to the cars and trucks that blow up or litter the streets, yeah I agree but that hardly gets in the way of the gameplay since the surroundings and buildings are so believably lit and shadowed and textured...

Quote:
I also have other minor gripes such as why cant you command a 30 ton apc to go over a roadblock made of wooden sawhorses?
I agree with you on this. Seems the only thing I can tell my APC to do is go forwards or backwards before it gets stuck and tells me "I can't go there".

Quote:
why cant advanced tactical assault rifles in the future have a grenade launcher AND scope mounted at the same time?
Usually rifles that have grenade launchers mounted require you to have an aiming device to fire those grenades reliably, and a scope gets in the way of that. Many rifles have aimpoints on them, but those aren't scopes as they provide little to no maginfiaction (its just easier than lining up ironsights). Its the near future, not startrek.

The OICW weapon supposedly has smart grenade munitions but that doesn't appear to be part of this game...

Quote:
if this is such a super elite team of operators why cant they do basic things like stack up behind me in recon mode when I'm peeking a corner or crouch down or lay prone when taking fire. I'm sure I can think of more lol.
Well now you're picking nits..."why isn't my Night Vision super powerful" and "why can't I carry 7 weapons at a time" and "why can't I bunny-hop and shoot and switch weapons without delay" and so on all start to come into play here.

Having group formations would be irrelevant in a game that doesn't allow you to control individual team elements anyhow. You can order your crew to attack a given target, or hunker down behind some cover, or just send them someplace and let em fend for themselves...they aren't particulary smart, but they aren't necessarily particulary stupid either.

The idea is to use them tactically.....assaulting a position, send them in recon mode to a point where you can set up a crossfire and let em go to town, or send them out into the open to draw fire while you take aim at the enemy.

Yeah its not perfect, but its not dramatically different from teh GR games that have come before it...you can make thes ame complaint about the rainbow six games too....

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #203 of 235 Old 03-16-2006, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm sure I can think of more lol.
Great. While you think of more, most of us will be enjoying the game. :)
post #204 of 235 Old 03-16-2006, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Let's not deny the issues of the framerate. Having the game at 60 fps would have been nice and certainly does add to the visual quality and smoothness of the game. It's silly to say 60 fps isn't needed or wouldn't have been nice. Also let's not be under the illusion that the game is a rock solid 30 fps either. It's quite easy to get the game to slow down and I've seen it on a few occaisions to be as bad as around 10 fps. For the most part it's a constant 30 but it does have issues of slow down.
post #205 of 235 Old 03-16-2006, 01:55 PM

i've never had slowdown.
post #206 of 235 Old 03-16-2006, 01:57 PM

This game just gets better and better with each mission.
Easily a 9+ in my book.

XBL:  B Klip

PSN:  Chodite

post #207 of 235 Old 03-16-2006, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Where would those places be, I haven't seen any hint of the game running at anything less than a 30fps margin.
when you are boarding the helo at an extraction point. extra geometry from helo + particle effects + 4 squadmates all on screen = less than 30fps easy.

Quote:
60fps in this game would be utterly wasted since its not a twitch-shooter,
what about the aesthetic appeal that 60fps provides? you dont think that 60fps would provide for much smoother and enjoyable gameplay?

Quote:
how can you tell they are low poly versus high poly with high-end textures applied to them, exactl
with exception of the main character and teamates all the models are fairly low poly. a good example is the santa fe mission where you are being briefed in the helo with the mexican president. look how badly his arm is clipping into his torso. the reason its doing that is because there is not enough geometry in that area to deform realistically. and not all textures are low res, but many are. walk up to a brick wall and see how horrible it looks when you are right on it. oh and yes things do generally look nice because of the bump mapping used, but that doesnt hide the fact that the geometry isnt there.

Quote:
Usually rifles that have grenade launchers mounted require you to have an aiming device to fire those grenades reliably, and a scope gets in the way of that
M4A1s are being fielded by the US military with scope and grenade launchers today. dont see why thats not possible in 201(?) but I will concede that is a minor nitpick. but having your squad stack behind you when you are peeking a corner is NOT a nitpick. first of all thats just basic small squad tactics. secondly, whats the point of peeking a corner if my teamates are gonna give my position away by standing in plain sight or moving somewhere I dont want them to be?
post #208 of 235 Old 03-16-2006, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasman
Boo f-ing hoo.
Oh I get it. This is a thread to vote for and comment on GRAW, but only if you're a fanboy and have good things to say. But if you have legitimate negative opinions or complaints don't bother participtaing, unless you want to be ridiculed.

Clearaudio Ovation/Magnify/Concerto v2; Herron Audio VTPH-2
Naim Audio ND5XS/NAC282/HC/NAP250-2; Dynaudio S3.4e2; REL R-328
post #209 of 235 Old 03-16-2006, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwette
Oh I get it. This is a thread to vote for and comment on GRAW, but only if you're a fanboy and have good things to say. But if you have legitimate negative opinions or complaints don't bother participtaing, unless you want to be ridiculed.
Exactly!

Jasman
post #210 of 235 Old 03-16-2006, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

I think the reason some people are seeing slowdown and others are not is due to play style. If you run around more and are often surprised by the enemy, you might feel like the controls are sluggish as you'd need to turn faster. If you play more slowly and methodically, keeping under cover, and inching ahead, you might not necessarily notice it as much.
Closed Thread Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page