Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #211 of 235 Old 03-16-2006, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think that overall the visuals of GRAW are the best I've seen. Take off the arrows that point at your squadmates to make the game even mor erealistic and immersive!
The draw distance and geometry involved in that vast space are truly awe inspiring. What a sense of space and reality that conveys.

The character models are top notch, and the heat effects on buildings/objects in the distance is cool too. All weapons rule, and the animations are sick as well.

But, the textures are piss poor the closer yuu get, becoming Xbox like up close. But they couldn't do it all, and they chose to let the textures up close suffer. Ah well, still easily the best game visually in a technical sense and an aesthetic sense as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 235 Old 03-16-2006, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Even many hours in I'm often awestruck by some of the visuals. I just got to the level where the helicopter drops you on the roof and you have to destroy a roadblock (right after the trainyard level) and the graphics are just insane. The whole city laid out in front of you, the lighting, everything -- truly amazing. Now if we can get a true "sandbox" game like GTA looking anywhere near this good this gen...
post #213 of 235 Old 03-16-2006, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom
I think the reason some people are seeing slowdown and others are not is due to play style. If you run around more and are often surprised by the enemy, you might feel like the controls are sluggish as you'd need to turn faster. If you play more slowly and methodically, keeping under cover, and inching ahead, you might not necessarily notice it as much.
It's not even that. In the garage where you have to protect the VIP, a combination of guys and explosions caused the game to crawl and that's just one example. I play a pretty careful and slow pace but I've had it slow down in intense battles. Some people just aren't as sensitive to framerates as others is probably the likely reason. Heck some people can't see the difference between 60 and 30 where as to others it stands out quite a bit.
post #214 of 235 Old 03-16-2006, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curttard
Even many hours in I'm often awestruck by some of the visuals. I just got to the level where the helicopter drops you on the roof and you have to destroy a roadblock (right after the trainyard level) and the graphics are just insane. The whole city laid out in front of you, the lighting, everything -- truly amazing. Now if we can get a true "sandbox" game like GTA looking anywhere near this good this gen...

I just played that mission, and I agree! The more I play this game the more I appreciate a little something called "draw distance and geometry"! Wow, what a realistic game!

I took a closer look at some of the textures, and some are better than others up close. I guess I'd change my earlier feeling that they were **** up close. Many of them are decent, and some are lower quality. Basically when you get really close you don't get that "perfect dark effect".

I really wish the single player didn't have to end, dammit.
post #215 of 235 Old 03-18-2006, 11:18 AM

I gave it an 8. Keep in mind that I can't even imagine giving any game a 10 - I will always have something that I would have done differently. The main drawback is how G.D. stupid your team members are in the single player mode. The best part is the onlne action. Team elimination is sweet if you get in a good room with mature, cool players.
post #216 of 235 Old 03-18-2006, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I haven't looked too much into it, but is there a way to adjust the number of enemies in the campaign multiplayer games??

Playing solo "Terrorist Hunt" on the maps is great fun, even just single player...but it would be cool if you could add more and more enemies. In single player I notice the number of enemies is set to MEDIUM, or it was on the island map I played last night...

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #217 of 235 Old 03-18-2006, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
There is a game mode called Defend that you can set the terrorists number to unlimited. Its great fun.
post #218 of 235 Old 03-19-2006, 09:08 AM

I gave it an 8. I play alot of BF2 on the PC so I'm a little bias towards consoles anyway. I do think it is the best game for the 360 though. The singleplayer is solid and the multiplayer is good too. Trying to get in a multiplayer game though is a little hard sometimes and can be frustrating. I'm still trying to find some adult GRAW gamers so feel free to add me to your live list.

Xbox Live: handinmypantz
BF2: HANDINMYPANTS
post #219 of 235 Old 03-19-2006, 09:15 AM

I gave it an 8. I play alot of BF2 on the PC so I'm a little bias towards consoles anyway. I do think it is the best game for the 360 though. The singleplayer is solid and the multiplayer is good too. Trying to get in a multiplayer game though is a little hard sometimes and can be frustrating because of the wait times and search.

I'm still trying to find some adult GRAW gamers so feel free to add me to your live list.

Xbox Live: handinmypantz
BF2: HANDINMYPANTS
post #220 of 235 Old 03-19-2006, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknight
It's not even that. In the garage where you have to protect the VIP, a combination of guys and explosions caused the game to crawl and that's just one example. I play a pretty careful and slow pace but I've had it slow down in intense battles. Some people just aren't as sensitive to framerates as others is probably the likely reason. Heck some people can't see the difference between 60 and 30 where as to others it stands out quite a bit.
Is your system well ventilated? Do you see slowdown in other games?
post #221 of 235 Old 03-19-2006, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I gave it a 9. Best game so far along side of Fight Night 3, which I own too. I love the dynamic lighting of the environments. I was in cloudy scene and the tv was going dim then back bright. I thought my bulb was about to go out, but it was the cloud blocking the sun. AMAZING! Go out and buy it if you haven't already!
post #222 of 235 Old 03-19-2006, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I gave the game a 8/10. its a fun game, but its nothing special to me so far. i havent tried online yet, cause i gotta renew my live subscription. my main problem with the game (and with all 360 games so far) is the graffix. i was, and still am expecting a lot from the 360 graphically. im playing on an sd set, so that may have a lot to do with it.

ive also seen some glitches in the game (the wall disappears when you're in a tank hanger). also the ai of my team seems to act really stupid. one guy stayed behind a truck while everyone else followed me. it took me like 10 minutes to go back and get his stupid ass. i was hoping that the ai and physics would be a lot better. ive seen better on half life 2.

anyways the games fun, but it could have been a whole lot better. when i get my hd set ill play through it again, maybe that'll change my opinion of it. ill get on live whenever i get around to renewing live.
post #223 of 235 Old 03-19-2006, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
i was, and still am expecting a lot from the 360 graphically. im playing on an sd set, so that may have a lot to do with it.
That absolutely has a lot to do with it.
post #224 of 235 Old 03-19-2006, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villanman
That absolutely has a lot to do with it.
i played fight night 3 at best buy and the game seemed a lot better, woulda been cool if it looked as good on an sd set, but thats technology for u, never stops moving. i was thinking of buying the vga adapter for the 360 and using my 19" lcd monitor on it, just so i can get a taste of what the graffix should look like.
post #225 of 235 Old 03-19-2006, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdizzle
i played fight night 3 at best buy and the game seemed a lot better, woulda been cool if it looked as good on an sd set, but thats technology for u, never stops moving. i was thinking of buying the vga adapter for the 360 and using my 19" lcd monitor on it, just so i can get a taste of what the graffix should look like.
Boy are you missing out. I would almost tell anyone who doesnt have or will be getting an HDTV set over 26" to hold off on the 360, or PS3 for that matter.

Standard definition is like having to look through a pane of glass covered in dirt/slime to see your TV.. same thing.
post #226 of 235 Old 03-19-2006, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I have already posted in this thread about how groundbreaking I feel the visuals are in this game for a console game.

I have also stated how some of the textures up close don't cut the mustard.

I played the level last night where I am just about to get the football, and there is the part where you approach a square with your squadmates and a tank as support. In the square you have to destroy two enemy tanks and a handful of baddies sprinkled in the far side of the square. Then you enter a palace of sorts whose entrance is along the inside perimeter of the square. Once inside the palace you must shoot baddies at multiple levels all around the square inside of the palace.

The point of that description so you will know what I am refferring to. The inside of that palace has the most awful artwork for the walls, and the textures of the walls are just atrocious. It is such a contrast to walk out of the palace and as you approach the exit you are bombarded by puke ugly walls that could almost be created on the original Nintendo, and then you exit to the ouside square and are smacked with next gen draw distance and geometry. Freaky. Since this is near the end of the game I thought that maybe they just got lazy near the finish line and siad F---- it, it's just the inside of one building, time to ship this game..
post #227 of 235 Old 03-20-2006, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPtimeACE
Is your system well ventilated? Do you see slowdown in other games?
My system is not defective and is well ventilated. Yes I do see slowdown in some other games like in Need For Speed Most Wanted but that is attributed to the game engine not the system itself. Other people have reported seeing slowdown so why is it so hard to believe that the game's framerate stutters every now and then? Did you notice the framerate increase when switching to thermal vision?
post #228 of 235 Old 03-20-2006, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, it definately flies up to 60+ when going into thermal vision......

Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #229 of 235 Old 03-20-2006, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Ohdee~
Can anyone tell me if this game is two players?

Can you play split screen co-op? :)
Yes you can. I was undecided about this game since I generally did not care for jungle oriented GR games. But a few friends brought GRAW over saturday to play on my 60xs955 and we did 4 player splitscreen coop. Multiplayer seems to lose some graphical detail, but it's still really good. 4 player coop on the same TV is pretty sweet.
post #230 of 235 Old 03-20-2006, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Where's the option for "FRICKIN' SWEET!!!" :D

This is the first GR game I've liked since the 1st one on PS2. (didn't like the Xbox version)

Xbox Live ID: MihmsMe
post #231 of 235 Old 03-20-2006, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Gamelover -- it's funny, I just logged in to post about that very same scene. The walls you take cover behind inside the palace have textures that would be unacceptable for an Xbox game.

The darker levels in general have much worse graphics than the daytime ones. It's like they felt they could half-ass them since they're harder to see. You just don't get the same geometry and detail, and there are no textures to speak of.

I also have to drop the game a point for the truly abysmal final level(s). I was in a generic shootout with 4-5 generic bad guys in a generic location when suddenly my com popped up to tell me congrats on completing the mission and saving the world. Huh? Weak, weak, weak.

Best level: Bulldog. Incredible graphics, fun locations.
post #232 of 235 Old 03-21-2006, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the spoiler, dude.

post #233 of 235 Old 03-21-2006, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

The only thing I spoiled was the misplaced hope that there would be any kind of climax to the game.
post #234 of 235 Old 03-21-2006, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by curttard
The only thing I spoiled was the misplaced hope that there would be any kind of climax to the game.
I agree with HeadRusch.

When I read your message I thought you should have used the spoiler tag. Just because you don't like it, why spoil it for others? Good or bad ending, you've now spoiled it for me. Not everyone shares your opinion.

Clearaudio Ovation/Magnify/Concerto v2; Herron Audio VTPH-2
Naim Audio ND5XS/NAC282/HC/NAP250-2; Dynaudio S3.4e2; REL R-328
post #235 of 235 Old 03-21-2006, 02:37 PM

Thought I'd give my updated score based on having completed the single-player campaign and having played about four hours of multiplayer, both co-op and competitive, with a close friend. Bottom line, both are freaking fantastic!

The single-player campaign was absolutely immersive, gorgeous, and most important of all, fun. Everything from the sound (you can hear your guy breathing, and it's absolutely spot-on) to the movement of your player (definitely play this one in third-person mode, even if you're an FPS addict) serves to pull you into the game, and the cross-com and command interface cannot be overhyped. They really hit it out of the park on this game.

I also find it completely amazing that you get into the chopper, lift off, see the HUGE area you just played, move across the cityscape, and almost seamlessly drop back into another HUGE area. This is definitely the next-generation at work.

As far as the multiplayer, co-op is tremendous fun. I want to try it with a larger group some time. Competitive, though, is phenomenally addictive. Also, I know many have remarked on the differences between single-player and multiplayer, but I have to say that they work well...with one exception. I miss being able to stick to walls in the multiplayer. However, I do love the slightly faster pacing of the multiplayer, and the visuals are VERY close to on par with the single player, which, given all that's going on, is very impressive.

I'm definitely going to stick with this series as new versions are released for the X360 (and/or the PS3 when it comes out, since I'm sure I'll end up getting one). Very impressive...

Oh, revised score...raised from 9/10 to 9.5/10. Hard to give a perfect 10/10, but I figure this is VERY close!
Closed Thread Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page