Official ES4: Oblivion thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 491 Old 10-13-2009, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ive had 2 strange things happen and i was wondering if they were game glitches or not.
1. showed up in skingrad and about 10 or twelve guards all started running around and then they ran towards kvatch killing all of the stuff along the way. half way to kvatch i couldnt keep up with the guards any longer. has anyone experienced this? and does anyone have any clue to what happened?

2. showed up at an oblivion gate and there were like 10 xzivley (spelling?) and three other deadra. there were also 5 or 6 guards fighting them. was this just some kind of spawning glitch or is it unique to a certain oblivion gate?

any ideas out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 491 Old 10-13-2009, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanwinter View Post

Ive had 2 strange things happen and i was wondering if they were game glitches or not.
1. showed up in skingrad and about 10 or twelve guards all started running around and then they ran towards kvatch killing all of the stuff along the way. half way to kvatch i couldnt keep up with the guards any longer. has anyone experienced this? and does anyone have any clue to what happened?

2. showed up at an oblivion gate and there were like 10 xzivley (spelling?) and three other deadra. there were also 5 or 6 guards fighting them. was this just some kind of spawning glitch or is it unique to a certain oblivion gate?

any ideas out there?

I have experienced that as well(the guards taking off like that, and not being able to keep up), and I think it's normal. I actually lost the guard I was supposed to follow, and had to find the guard house alone.

How far along the main quest are you? I keep getting sidetracked, but now am focusing more on the main quest now. Have closed only 1 Oblivion gate so far. I am just going to do one quest for the Fighter's guild and one for the Dark Brotherhood, and then I will try to focus... well maybe... JoeB
post #453 of 491 Old 10-13-2009, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
You just ran into a random encounter. They're pretty cool sometimes and makes the world seem more alive since you're not the only one fighting every thing all the time. It makes sense that you would come upon something like that. I just wish there were random encounters with other fortune hunters trying to make their way through an Oblivion gate.
post #454 of 491 Old 10-13-2009, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

During the siege of Kvatch, I decided to grab a few things I might need for the road in the castle. When the siege was over, I ran into some Imperial guards who tried to arrest me, calling me a thief!!

I dispatched the first one for being so insolent, especially as I just saved their city. When the second one accosted me in a village inn, he said there was a 3000 gold bounty on my head! Needless to say I dispatched him as well. It was after these events that I was visited by a member of the Dark Brotherhood. This game is ridonculous. I can see how you can lose your life for a few months. Very addictive, but that's a good thing, right?
post #455 of 491 Old 10-13-2009, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebloggs13 View Post

How far along the main quest are you? I keep getting sidetracked, but now am focusing more on the main quest now. Have closed only 1 Oblivion gate so far. I am just going to do one quest for the Fighter's guild and one for the Dark Brotherhood, and then I will try to focus... well maybe... JoeB

im pretty far along on the main quest. I really want to save it for last.

i think ive closed 43 oblivion gates. ive done all of the guild quests. Ive put in alot of time into this game and still have alot more to do. Ive got to find some more side quests but in the mean time im working on a quest to gather aliad statues. I know i have missed alot.
post #456 of 491 Old 10-13-2009, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

im pretty far along on the main quest. I really want to save it for last.

i think ive closed 43 oblivion gates. ive done all of the guild quests. Ive put in alot of time into this game and still have alot more to do. Ive got to find some more side quests but in the mean time im working on a quest to gather aliad statues. I know i have missed alot.

What are your impressions of the game so far? I haven't investested anywhere near the amount of time you have, and I am hooked.
post #457 of 491 Old 10-13-2009, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 361
****Potential Mild Spoilers--nothing story intensive, just action intensice***

I've been through nearly every inch of this game--and i believe the part you are referring to is the GIANT OBLIVION GATE that spawns about.....70% through the main campaign. Here's the thing. if there were only 5 or 6 guards fighting them, then you're in for a rough one--the way it works is, you're supposed to close a special oblivion gate outside each major city, (usually in quest form) and then speak with the leader of that city. For each of those oblivion gates that you close, there will be soldiers at that giant oblivion gate to help you fight the invasion. (you'll know you closed the right gate when people within the city thank you for closing the gate) my suggestion would be to close more of the special gates outside of these cities so you have more help, because once you destroy that first wave, MORE creatures will spawn...and after that wave is done, MORE will spawn--I promise.

Quote:

any ideas out there?

post #458 of 491 Old 10-14-2009, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What are your impressions of the game so far? I haven't investested anywhere near the amount of time you have, and I am hooked.

personnally i love the game. there are a couple of parts that could have been done better quest wise. there are also a couple of bugs to look out for but nothing that ruins the experience. i do wish there was more to do with the money later in the game so that money didnt become useless.

the game is complex enough without being over bearing. some of the stuff can get repetative. For instance, if you only run around closing oblivion gates one after the another then i can see losing interest in the game, so i try to keep mixing it up.

there are plenty of different things to fight but it seems some of the creatures dissapear when you reach a high enough level which is a shame.
I hate the goblins... i think they are the toughest thing to fight and the sound they make gives me the creeps LOL.

All in all its by far the best game i have played on my xbox. i feel its a game that will have alot of replayability and am looking forward to my second run through. I also think the most fun is had between the start of the game and when your character hits somewhere around 25th level.

Things i would have liked to see in the game. i do understand they are working within limited space and certain things propable wouldnt be able to be implemented, so the game is what it is but;
1. ambushes. i think it would be fun to be jumped by 5 or 6 things at once. being in a situation where you have to run away would be a good thing.
2. a house that advances with your level that eventually expands into a castle. having to pay for all of the expansions would create a reason to continue to make money and retrieve stuff at later levels.
3. Some more variety in monsters.
4. A pet would be a nice thing.
5 being able to store stuff on your mount to add for a reason to keep him around or alive. for myself i find no use for a horse ymmv.
post #459 of 491 Old 10-14-2009, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

****Potential Mild Spoilers--nothing story intensive, just action intensice***

I've been through nearly every inch of this game--and i believe the part you are referring to is the GIANT OBLIVION GATE that spawns about.....70% through the main campaign. Here's the thing. if there were only 5 or 6 guards fighting them, then you're in for a rough one--the way it works is, you're supposed to close a special oblivion gate outside each major city, (usually in quest form) and then speak with the leader of that city. For each of those oblivion gates that you close, there will be soldiers at that giant oblivion gate to help you fight the invasion. (you'll know you closed the right gate when people within the city thank you for closing the gate) my suggestion would be to close more of the special gates outside of these cities so you have more help, because once you destroy that first wave, MORE creatures will spawn...and after that wave is done, MORE will spawn--I promise.

im looking forward to getting to that main gate, it will be like a minature war. i hope the poor little xbox can keep up with the action. im planning to get as much help as i can.

I have not gotten that far yet. I didnt know the closing of the special gates were a quest, thanks for that info. ive just been closing each as i come to it. How many times will the regular gates themselves respawn and will they respawn in the same places?
post #460 of 491 Old 10-14-2009, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Taking my time with this and it's growing on me (I played through and already beat Fallout 3 first). About 10 hours in and feel like I'm scratching the surface

Quick question, how do I join Fighters Guild? First town where I found it they said I need to go certain place to sign up?

XBL : lowgn
post #461 of 491 Old 10-14-2009, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_j View Post

Taking my time with this and it's growing on me (I played through and already beat Fallout 3 first). About 10 hours in and feel like I'm scratching the surface

Quick question, how do I join Fighters Guild? First town where I found it they said I need to go certain place to sign up?

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
To join the Fighters Guild speak to Guild Master Vilena Donton in Chorrol, Azzan in Anvil, or Burz Gro-Khash in Cheydinhal. You must have an infamy score of under 100 to join. Once you join, you'll immediately hold the rank of Associate.
post #462 of 491 Old 10-15-2009, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceRocket View Post

That's the beauty of Oblivion, you can have multiple quests at the same time and handle the one you want when you want to. I can't tell you how many times I got sidetracked here and there helping some random person or taking on a minor quest. Enjoy - you can turn a blind eye on the main quest without any issues.

-JR

lol, no doubt... i have 180 hours, and i'm just barely the hero of kvatch.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #463 of 491 Old 10-15-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd View Post

lol, no doubt... i have 180 hours, and i'm just barely the hero of kvatch.

Hahaha, I'm in the same boat on my third playthrough. I'm doing EVERYTHING before even going to meet with Jauffre. Thought it would be fun to be at a very high level before starting the main quest. It's something I had not done with my previous playthroughs.

It's amazing to me that after putting in so much time into my first two playthroughs there's still such an appeal to this game. I mean, I think I could do the Thieves Guild over and over and never tire of it. Just an amazing game in all aspects.

post #464 of 491 Old 10-15-2009, 02:23 PM

Just checking out these last 2 pages to see what people were experiencing and saying, and man, I can't wait for Elder Scrolls V.

I have all the achievements, but I get tempted to go back and finish off side quests.
post #465 of 491 Old 10-15-2009, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVblues3 View Post

Just checking out these last 2 pages to see what people were experiencing and saying, and man, I can't wait for Elder Scrolls V.

I have all the achievements, but I get tempted to go back and finish off side quests.

I am curious about one thing. I am on my first playthrough, and am going as a Barbarian. My question is this. Does the type of character you choose, ie. Dark elf vs Imperial or Khajiit, influence the way the Guild quests play out? Or are they the same regardless of character? It would be great if they differed for each character. It would make the possibilities enormous, and the replay value huge.
post #466 of 491 Old 10-15-2009, 04:20 PM

It's amazing that a game that was released in March of 2006 (3.5 years ago!) still generates this level of discussion. Oblivion is one of my favorite games of all time and I've put just under 200 hours into the base game and all of the expansions. I really do hope that there are more Elder Scrolls single player games because Morrowind is another of my all-time faves. I'm waiting for Risen to come out hoping it'll scratch my itch for a Western-style fantasy sandbox RPG.

For what it's worth, I also found Two Worlds to be very fun. It's not anywhere close to as technically refined as Oblivion, but if you overlook some of the technical flaws and just play it, it comes across as a blend of Oblivion, Fable, and Diablo.
post #467 of 491 Old 10-15-2009, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am curious about one thing. I am on my first playthrough, and am going as a Barbarian. My question is this. Does the type of character you choose, ie. Dark elf vs Imperial or Khajiit, influence the way the Guild quests play out? Or are they the same regardless of character? It would be great if they differed for each character. It would make the possibilities enormous, and the replay value huge.

I have not finished my 1st play through but i am assuming that the guild quests wont change due to your character class or race. implementing something like that would have required alot more storage space and memory that they probably didnt have.

Quote:

HDTVblues3

you should really do the side quests. some of them are lots of fun.
post #468 of 491 Old 10-15-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:

There is sually some discrimination (nothing really noticeable even), but otherwise, most quests go unchanged.
post #469 of 491 Old 10-15-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCWells72 View Post

It's amazing that a game that was released in March of 2006 (3.5 years ago!) still generates this level of discussion. Oblivion is one of my favorite games of all time and I've put just under 200 hours into the base game and all of the expansions. I really do hope that there are more Elder Scrolls single player games because Morrowind is another of my all-time faves. I'm waiting for Risen to come out hoping it'll scratch my itch for a Western-style fantasy sandbox RPG.

For what it's worth, I also found Two Worlds to be very fun. It's not anywhere close to as technically refined as Oblivion, but if you overlook some of the technical flaws and just play it, it comes across as a blend of Oblivion, Fable, and Diablo.

I really wish we had a larger number of Western-style RPG's. I'm interested in Risen, which I tried on PC demo on my bro's notebook (mine... ), and I loved playing Gothic I & II (maybe III one day).

Two Worlds had me lmao when my younger bro tried it last year on X360.
post #470 of 491 Old 10-15-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:

I have not finished my 1st play through but i am assuming that the guild quests wont change due to your character class or race. implementing something like that would have required alot more storage space and memory that they probably didnt have.

you should really do the side quests. some of them are lots of fun.

Yeah. I think I will. But first, Fallout 3... then I'll eventually have to go back and finish F3's sidequests. Probably not though.

P.S. Couldn't get the stupid multi-quote to work. Maybe next time.
post #471 of 491 Old 10-16-2009, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I bought this game a long time ago, but it didn't really do it for me. Now that I'm through with Fallout, this one may get another go. I really like RPG type games now.

The previous post may contain spoilers, which will make the post less aerodynamic and increase handling at high speeds.
post #472 of 491 Old 10-16-2009, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Like HDTVblues says below, there is race discrimination, but other than that you won't see a huge change. It may make some quests a tad more difficult if you're trying to dig for information, and there are some slave rescue quests that may have more impact to you if you are actually playing as that enslaved race and have started to feel the discrimination, but overall it won't massively change your Oblivion experience.

My friend played through as a Khajiit, and he would definately get some odd statements from NPCs. Of course, the same goes if you're human - where you'll hear a whisper of "fressshhh prey approachesss... from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVblues3 View Post

There is sually some discrimination (nothing really noticeable even), but otherwise, most quests go unchanged.

post #473 of 491 Old 10-16-2009, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Played a long session last night(well, long for me these days!)...2.5hrs!! I just picked up Conan yesterday on the cheap at BB. It's a good romp and nice to change it up between Oblivion and Dead Space, which are my two main games right now.
post #474 of 491 Old 10-17-2009, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Another question, I read somewhere that you can fast travel anywhere on the mao, but when I tried to do that I was only able to fast trave to places I had been to before. Is there some way I am able to fast travel to places I haven't visited before?
post #475 of 491 Old 10-17-2009, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Another question, I read somewhere that you can fast travel anywhere on the mao, but when I tried to do that I was only able to fast trave to places I had been to before. Is there some way I am able to fast travel to places I haven't visited before?

Unfortunately no, you can only fast-travel to where you've visited. What you can do is fast travel to an area close to where you want to go, and then go on foot.

-JR
post #476 of 491 Old 10-17-2009, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Only the cities.
post #477 of 491 Old 10-17-2009, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

IMO they made a good compromise. You should be forced to explore manually -err, pedally?- new areas. It enhances the wanderlust and adventuring that helps flesh out the world of Elder Scrolls. And think of all the amazing random adventures you'd miss out on by just skipping over all the unexplored areas. But Morrowind really took too much time traveling on foot, especially with NPCs sending you back and forth across the map just to finish one quest. And the terrible directions ("Go west." "Uhhh, how far and stuff?"). I think Oblivion's fast travel is a well balanced system.
post #478 of 491 Old 10-17-2009, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJonathan View Post

IMO they made a good compromise. You should be forced to explore manually -err, pedally?- new areas. It enhances the wanderlust and adventuring that helps flesh out the world of Elder Scrolls. And think of all the amazing random adventures you'd miss out on by just skipping over all the unexplored areas. But Morrowind really took too much time traveling on foot, especially with NPCs sending you back and forth across the map just to finish one quest. And the terrible directions ("Go west." "Uhhh, how far and stuff?"). I think Oblivion's fast travel is a well balanced system.

Not once you picked up the Boots of Blinding Speed . Then all you had to worry about were the stupid cliff racers that would follow you forever until you slowed down so a pack of them could attack you.
post #479 of 491 Old 10-17-2009, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHDTVDiet View Post

Not once you picked up the Boots of Blinding Speed . Then all you had to worry about were the stupid cliff racers that would follow you forever until you slowed down so a pack of them could attack you.

Boots of blinding speed!?: Now those would have come in handy before I got arrested!
post #480 of 491 Old 10-17-2009, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHDTVDiet View Post

Stupid oblivion trick: I stacked a whole bunch of speed boost spells, enchanted gear, and potions and built up superspeedster mobility. Two problems: hard to control and I took major damage just bumping into stuff. I did manage to run across Cyrodill before the boost wore off. A second attempt using water walking went better following the river, the only slowdown was crossing cells. I'll have to retry with a disk-installed session.

Stupid Morrowind trick: Cliff Racers are extinct in my Morrowind game saves. I combined a flight ring with a lightning casting ring and I killed them. They swarmed me like mosquitoes! Wouldn't leave me alone. Later I added invisibility for stealth and the superfast flight scrolls for cross-continent flights. Nothing like going from Balmora to Azura's shrine in less than a minute.

I really wish they'd let you levitate in Oblivion...
Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page