post #481 of 491 Old 10-17-2009, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHDTVDiet View Post

Not once you picked up the Boots of Blinding Speed . Then all you had to worry about were the stupid cliff racers that would follow you forever until you slowed down so a pack of them could attack you.

You know, I used those boots for the longest time and couldn't figure out why the game had become so dark. I was constantly adjusting my TV and NVidia settings (played it on PC), it drove me nuts. One day I finally realized that a side effect of those boots was a 20% or so drop in screen brightness. They were boots of literally blinding speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 491 Old 10-18-2009, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJonathan View Post

IMO they made a good compromise. You should be forced to explore manually -err, pedally?- new areas. It enhances the wanderlust and adventuring that helps flesh out the world of Elder Scrolls. And think of all the amazing random adventures you'd miss out on by just skipping over all the unexplored areas. But Morrowind really took too much time traveling on foot, especially with NPCs sending you back and forth across the map just to finish one quest. And the terrible directions ("Go west." "Uhhh, how far and stuff?"). I think Oblivion's fast travel is a well balanced system.

It's just that, sometimes when you decide to take on a new quest you have to do some backtracking to get to the new destination. I know you can backtrack quickly, and then travel normally to the new marker. I was just looking for an even quicker way...I was on a timeline, as my game sessions are a little restricted these days(darn kids hoggin' the set).
post #483 of 491 Old 12-17-2009, 06:05 AM

Liked: 12
I thought I'd played through Oblivion in every way possible..... until I decided to efficiently level. It's great fun building an ultimate character. So far I've been successfull, that is to say that I've gained two levels and gotten 6 +5 modifiers in the attributes that I set out to increase. I did overlevel a bit the first time, but I think I've found a way around doing that again.

I originally thought it might be laborious, but it really has turned out to be a lot of fun. Not to mention a whole different exp. with my all time favorite game. I recommend it to those that havn't tried it and are looking for new ways to play old games.

Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice.
post #484 of 491 Old 04-10-2012, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Reviving an old thread to see if anyone can answer a question i have about Oblivion game saves.
We bought Oblivion at launch and my wife loved it so much she bought all the expansions as they came out. Now, my daughter was in town over the weekend and had a hankering to play Oblivion so she fired up her old save and played for some hours. Well, I guess the game got its hooks in her and she is wanting to continue on her Xbox at home, where she has access to the regular Oblivion disc.
My questions...
--Since her save is from our house with all the expansions will she be able to play from the regular disc? This i can test tonight when I get home by trying to load her save on one my Xbox's that doesn't have all the oblivion extras on it, BTW. I'm guessing it won't work...
--If she buys the GOTY edition, does that contain all the extras or will she still need to buy some stuff? Will the GOTY edition even load her save?

Thanks for any help,
Robb
post #485 of 491 Old 04-10-2012, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I believe you are right, the save won't work unless the expansions are there. The GOTY and new Anniversary edition should come with all expansions, so you should be fine getting one of them.
post #486 of 491 Old 04-10-2012, 09:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 17
I would recommend getting the GotY edition with all the expansions and content. I believe it is all on there... perhaps with some minor exceptions like horse armor. However, I will say that her save should still work even if she uses it on a setup without the expansions. My son loaded his game and he must have been in the wizards tower when he saved.

He loaded his game without the wizards tower installed and he was in a black room if I recall correctly. He saw one light that we went to and ended up exiting back into the land around the wizards tower but there was no tower there. He also had goods on his character that were from The Shivering Isles. These things looked like exclamation marks in his inventory and were giant exclamation marks when he dropped them into the world.

Beyond that, I think he was able to play the game... but there was some definite oddness involved. So, I'd recommend getting the GotY edition and avoiding that stuff.
post #487 of 491 Old 04-11-2012, 06:08 AM

Thanks for the replies guys.
Well, last night I copied a couple of saves to a USB drive and attempted to load them from one of my 360's that doesn't have any expansions. It gave me a message stating something like "some items may be available, do you still want to load?". After clicking yes, the game starts to load and the locks up the xbox.
I tried multiple saves, I copied saves to the hard drive, and I installed the game to the hard drive, but it lock up in the same spot each time.

So, it looks like it should work but for whatever reason is not...I might play around with it a little more tonight.
Regardless, I'm just gonna tell my daughter to pick up the GOTY edition...
post #488 of 491 Old 04-11-2012, 07:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 17
Were those saves at locations in DLC content or in an area in the main game? If inside DLC, you may want to make a save in Choral or something like that and then try that. I don't have any other ideas. Sorry it didn't work.
post #489 of 491 Old 04-11-2012, 07:41 AM

Hmm, that's a good point. I think she might have been in the Shivering Isles when she saved. I'll check it out and update this thread with the results. Thanks!
post #490 of 491 Old 04-13-2012, 01:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Unless there is a new GOTY edition that included everything, it won't come with all the expansions. It just included the major ones.

If you bought every little thing, you'll have to rebuy them as downloads. I think the original GOTY edition only came with Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine. Things like Mehrunes Razor will still have to be purchased and downloaded.

Looks like even the new 5th Anniversary Edition fails to include all of the DLC and is just a repeat of the normal GOTY release.

Edit - Looks like only PC owners got a release that includes everything. It's called Game of the Year Deluxe Edition.
post #491 of 491 Old 04-13-2012, 05:14 AM

So, it looks like her save was in a DLC area, but even after saving in a main game area the game still locks up at the loading screen. Oh well, she has the GOTY edition coming from Amazon and she can buy a few of the others that aren't included if she wants...
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page