Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 491 Old 03-22-2006, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villanman View Post

I have to use 3rd person when riding the horse, Otherwise I use First Person, Much easier for me to look at and pick up objects etc.

I'm thinking First Person won't work too well for stealth based characters.

Plus, I spent so much time creating my character I at least want to be able to see him on the screen!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 491 Old 03-22-2006, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhchan View Post

Please treat the CA's (conference associates) nicely. And enjoy GDC.
I miss GDC... used to be a CA myself for many years.

I will. They are always nice to me. And I do enjoy coming to GDC.

I did break down and order Oblivion and Blazing Angels. They will be waiting for me when I finally get back home. It makes me realize how expensive things are getting though. I ordered the 2 games plus a strategy guide with overnight shipping and was shocked at the checkout price of over 170 bucks. Being an early adopter, "gotta have it now" guy sucks sometimes.
post #93 of 491 Old 03-22-2006, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kysersose View Post

And you didn't like the way it looked?

You can compare Screenshots here.

Did you make it out of the sewers yet?

Thanks for the screenshots Kysersose. As you noted, I think there is only a marginal difference at best. I think it's just myself that needs to adjust. I'm used to playing RPG's on my 21" computer monitor from a few inches away. Even if the graphics were completely identical it probably wouldn't look as sharp on my HDTV simply due to the fact that it's spread out over more area.

But on the flip side, I can't kick my feet up in the recliner while playing on my PC either
post #94 of 491 Old 03-22-2006, 08:14 PM

Wow, this game really is amazing. I haven't played an RPG since Final Fantasy VIII on PC, and the last RPG like this I played was Ravenshield back in 1995 or '96. I'm so totally hooked on this it's disgusting. Good thing I just finished the single player campaign on GRAW a few days ago or else I'd have felt I wasted my money. So far I've been playing for about 20 hours, just running around all over the place exploring ruins, fulfilling side quests, and I've just barely completed the first task in the primary quest (going to the Priory).

Graphics wise, I read from the IGN comparisons that the 360 and PC games are almost identical, the forest environments just aren't quite as clean or lush, lines a bit more jagged. It would have been nice to take advantage of that, but I specifically wanted to get something good for my plasma and 360.

Issues wise, the game has frozen on me once, on a loading screen. Equally disconcerting was when the games fans would all of a sudden kick off, the 360 would get real quite, and then it would blank and I would get a message saying the disc was unreadable. Each time it happened when some sort of speech/dialogue with an NPC was being initated. When I reset the console it worked just fine, and luckily each time I had just recently saved so it was never too inconvenient.

Speaking of which, has anyone else noticed that when you reload after turning the console off, then save the game, your new saves start at the bottom of the saved game scrolling list? Good motivation to delete old saves and keep the list cleaned up.
post #95 of 491 Old 03-23-2006, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadEyeB View Post

Load times were a real problem for me I had gone live marketplace crazy downloading trailers, demos and what not to the point I only had 4 gigs left. I deleted most but not all of that and it appears I have this defrag issue. This concerns me somewhat long term with the 360 I hope Microsoft is going to roll out some sort of a maintenance tool either in the background or added to the system blade to resolve this sort of thing.

Overall I'd rather be home playing Oblivion than writing about it during lunch. So yeah I like it. I'll love it if I can fix the load time issue.

Anybody know what a staff is considered? Is it a blunt weapon or its own thing?

The "A" button fix worked so my load times are nonexistent now and I was unfortunately playing until late/early this morning. Totally amazing game, running across the bridge from the imperial City at night I just stopped and looked around at the sky. Beautiful, fun and an immense game world. I can't wait to get back home.
post #96 of 491 Old 03-23-2006, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jailonacs99 View Post

So far I've been playing for about 20 hours, just running around all over the place exploring ruins, fulfilling side quests, and I've just barely completed the first task in the primary quest (going to the Priory).

That's me too. I have played nine or so hours so far, and aside from going to the Priory, I have run through two or three dungeons that I just happened across (i.e. not quest related), and that's still been damn fun! I think I will buckle down tonight and actually complete a quest (and join a guild, mages or fighters, I think. I may save the thieves' and Dark Brotherhood for my evil character on the second run through!)

Gamertag: HeartbreakRidge

Enjoy a quality XBOX Live Experience with the folks at Adult Gaming Enthusiasts !
post #97 of 491 Old 03-23-2006, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

My Oblivion observation of the day: At 1st level, I highly recommend not going to the first destination after Priory. Focusing on the main quest only isn't very doable if you're a stealth-type character.

One Sub to rumble them all. One Sub to shake them. One Sub to humble them all, and in the darkness break them.
post #98 of 491 Old 03-23-2006, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangEmHi View Post

That's me too. I have played nine or so hours so far, and aside from going to the Priory, I have run through two or three dungeons that I just happened across (i.e. not quest related), and that's still been damn fun! I think I will buckle down tonight and actually complete a quest (and join a guild, mages or fighters, I think. I may save the thieves' and Dark Brotherhood for my evil character on the second run through!)

Hey Heartbreak, I know you're on my Friends List (I'm Stimpy7) and Oblivion is, of course, "massively singleplayer"... but it sounds like we're up to the same thing!

I've been in for about 10 hours or so at this point, and have only hit that first stop on the main quest... (Which, BTW, I would advise everyone to do early on, if for no other reason than the "assistance" you're given by the Priory folks.) Otherwise it's been- hmm, wonder what this "crumbling mine" holds? Or- hmm, wonder if anybody in this tavern has any good rumors? Heck, right out of the sewer gate I thought- hmm, wonder what those ruins are over there across the water? (Cue: hour-long exploration.)

Wide-open possibilities -- as always with the ES series -- but this time only if you WANT to be "lost" in them! (Since you can always just activate a quest and use Fast Travel most of the time...) Now THIS is what I call adventuring!

And I too have been thinking about the whole Thief/Assassin choice I didn't make and almost wishing I would've gone that route for my first game. So many tempting things to pilfer! (I really appreciate how the potential crimes are indicated AHEAD OF TIME now, too!) But the good thing is that that will make for a significantly different experience the second time around.

Admittedly I have been motivated enough to join both the Fighters and Mages Guild (I like to dabble in both), but have barely started on either.

Great game! I had extremely high expectations for it... and I have to say to this point they've been met!

Gamertag & PSN: Stimpy7
post #99 of 491 Old 03-23-2006, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

So I picked up this game last night. I must say it's rad.

I find myself killing quite a few people for the hell of it. I've just been asked by that one dude to join the Dark Brotherhood. Is there any downside of doing this? Like will people around towns not like me and i'll be forced to sneak around in the dark? Or will it simply help me to kill lots more random people?

One thing I dont like is the guards. They ALWAYS seem to know when you did something wrong... even if they were very far away when it happened. And they are freaking impossible to kill.

So far, this is shaping up to be the best 360 game so far.
post #100 of 491 Old 03-23-2006, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastahkaz View Post

One thing I dont like is the guards. They ALWAYS seem to know when you did something wrong... even if they were very far away when it happened.

Ha ha. That reminds me of Fable. I always got caught by the guards, even in the middle of the night, behind someone's house on the other end of town from the guards.

I just got Oblivion in the mail. I'm hoping to start it tonight when I get home from work. The pocket guide, coin, and fold-out box sure are pretty to look at in the meantime.

Xbox/PS/WiiU gamertag: GoNats
Apple Game Center: iGoNats

post #101 of 491 Old 03-23-2006, 12:26 PM

Quote:

One thing I dont like is the guards. They ALWAYS seem to know when you did something wrong... even if they were very far away when it happened. And they are freaking impossible to kill.

The strategy guide suggests that you don't even attempt to fight the guards as they will always be several levels above you. Just pay the fine or serve your jail time.

They also mentioned that even though your inventory will get cleaned out when you go to jail, they will always leave you with one lock pick. Thus, there's always the chance to escape.
post #102 of 491 Old 03-23-2006, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxcomet View Post

They also mentioned that even though your inventory will get cleaned out when you go to jail, they will always leave you with one lock pick. Thus, there's always the chance to escape.

But if you escape, will you not get all of your stuff back from the guards? What's the downside of serving your time? It seems it just lowers some of your skill levels a bit.
post #103 of 491 Old 03-23-2006, 12:57 PM

Quote:

But if you escape, will you not get all of your stuff back from the guards? What's the downside of serving your time? It seems it just lowers some of your skill levels a bit.

I think I read in the manual that they confiscate only your stolen items and if you opt for jailtime those are kept in a chest very near the guards, so essentially in order to get them back you have to both:
1) be lucky or skillful enough to pick the cell lock with your one lockpick, and
2) then be sly enough to "steal" your goods back out from under the guards' noses...

And if you don't succeed in both of those steps, your stolen items are gone.

I myself have yet to go to jail... (I say "yet" because even though I'm playing a law-abider, I just know it's going to happen at some point... I just won't be able to resist.) But- good luck!

Gamertag & PSN: Stimpy7
post #104 of 491 Old 03-23-2006, 01:03 PM

I have played about 6 hours so far and I like the game, but I must admit I am having a bit of trouble. I have reached Wenyon Priory and Chorrol and have been trying to do some side quests. I keep getting killed! I think the issue is that my character has not even leveled up yet. Usually in these types of games there are areas/dungeons/etc that you can go spend some time grinding away to level up your character a bit then go try the quest again. I haven't really found a place to "practice" and the only combat I get is during quests, which is too hard for my lowly character right now. Anyone have any suggestions for places to fight low level (rats, etc)? Running around in the woods takes to long to find things to kill.

-zb

Gamertag: zbose

The System is down. The System is down.
post #105 of 491 Old 03-23-2006, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

So i'm assuming that if you kill someone and take their stuff its not "stolen". Its only stolen if you steal it by sneaking around them?
post #106 of 491 Old 03-23-2006, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbose View Post

Usually in these types of games there are areas/dungeons/etc that you can go spend some time grinding away to level up your character

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I remember reading in the Strategy Guide that the combat stays at the skill level of the main character... meaning as you level up, the enemies level up too. The point was that there's no reason to needlessly level up the character to aid in combat.

It was late when i read this... did I understand it correctly?
post #107 of 491 Old 03-23-2006, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I remember reading in the Strategy Guide that the combat stays at the skill level of the main character... meaning as you level up, the enemies level up too. The point was that there's no reason to needlessly level up the character to aid in combat.

It was late when i read this... did I understand it correctly?

If that is the case.... then it means I just suck! I will have to turn the difficulty down I guess (I had eeked it up a tad).

post #108 of 491 Old 03-23-2006, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Can anyone explain the persuasion mini game to me? I really don't understand what i'm supposed to do and the manual is of no help. Thanks!
post #109 of 491 Old 03-23-2006, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I actually kind of like that. One thing I hated about the Final Fantasy Games (when I used to play them) was walking around for hours fighting people trying to get my level up. It was very boring.
post #110 of 491 Old 03-23-2006, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxcomet View Post

The strategy guide suggests that you don't even attempt to fight the guards as they will always be several levels above you. Just pay the fine or serve your jail time.

makes you wonder where exactly your character was hiding that one lockpick.....
post #111 of 491 Old 03-23-2006, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantMeThePower View Post

Can anyone explain the persuasion mini game to me? I really don't understand what i'm supposed to do and the manual is of no help. Thanks!

By the time I post this someone will probably have a better description, but here goes:

The Persuasion Game gives you a wheel divided into four wedges. Each wedge corresponds to an action ... joke, threaten, etc (sorry, don't remember each one).

In the middle of wheel is a number ... the higher the number, the more they like you. The goal of the game is to increase this number.

The Persuasion game is played in rounds, you can play as many rounds as you like.

One round of the persuasion game involves clicking each of the actions once. That is, in one round you have to click each one, and you can only take each action once.

Every NPC will Love one action, Like one action, Dislike one action, and Hate one action. You can tell by looking at their face when you move the cursor over the action on the wheel.

Actions they like and love will increase the number in the middle (how much they like you), ones they hate and dislike will decrease the number.

Now, where it gets tricky is you will notice each wedge is filled in with some color. The more a wedge is filled in, the more that action will affect the NPC. So, if the NPC Loves the Joke action, and the wedge is completely filled in, it will greatly increase their opinion of you when you click the Joke action.

Anytime you click an action, the amount each wedge is filled in will shift clockwise. That is, if the wedge on the top is fully filled in, when you take an action the wedge on the right will now be completely filled in.

So, ultimately, what you are trying to do is click the Loved action when the wedge is full, and the Hated action when the wedge is almost empty.

As a final thing, the number in the center (how much they like you) counts down as the round goes on - so, you can't take too long to think about it!

It really is easier to give it a few tries than to describe it or read about it, though. The manual wasn't too helpful, and I don't know if what I wrote here is just more confusing than anything

-keVin
post #112 of 491 Old 03-23-2006, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
keVin-

THanks, that was a great explanation and made sense of the nonsense that i was looking at. Being at work sux! I want to go play! :-D
post #113 of 491 Old 03-23-2006, 02:15 PM

as far as levelling up, remember that you have to sleep in a real bed to actually level up.
post #114 of 491 Old 03-23-2006, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormchaser View Post

as far as levelling up, remember that you have to sleep in a real bed to actually level up.

But you don't actually do that until your "next level" bar is full right?

post #115 of 491 Old 03-23-2006, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Does anyone know what the advantage/disadvantage to hiring a trainer to level you up a skill? And why does it say "x/5 Times Trained"? What's different between this and just using that hell out of the skill until it levels?

XBOX - Hyperplasia | PS4 - Hyperplasia
post #116 of 491 Old 03-23-2006, 03:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kysersose View Post

The PC shots look a little better to me but I would hate to see how much that PC costs to run it. And by "better" I mean marginally.

It should be noted that the PC version can be setup to render more detail than the Xbox 360 version by hand editing the config files. Check out this post (different forum) for an example.
post #117 of 491 Old 03-23-2006, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

In fact, with the persuasion game, you don't really have to care about what each wedge means.
With my current character, I notice that the game usually involves: 1 Positive wedge, 1 Negative wedge, and 2 Neutral wedge. What each wedge 'means' to that character stays the same, so you don't have to recheck with each round.

The pie rotation tends to be 1 full, 1 half, 1 quarter, and 1 close to zero 'empty' pie, randomized in terms of sequence.

You can 'force' a clockwise rotation once per round.

Each round, you must play all four wedges.

From my own experience, this is what I do:
1) Quickly establish which wedge is the positive and which wedge is the negative.
2) use the two Neutral wedges to advance the full pie to the Positive wedge and the empty-pie on the Negative wedge.
3) it is better to waste the positive wedge on a smaller pie than to hit the negative wedge with a full pie. Actually, hitting the Negative wedge with even the quarter pie tends to hurt.

Strategy:
After finding the Positive wedge and the Negative wedge, try to burn the negative wedge on an empty 'pie' first. It might mean using the Neutral wedges, but if the full pie is on a Positive wedge, use it.

Focusing on clicking the 'empty' pie on the Negative wedge seems to make things easier than to play all 4 wedges.

Do this fast and don't wait for the animation or speech to end.

One Sub to rumble them all. One Sub to shake them. One Sub to humble them all, and in the darkness break them.
post #118 of 491 Old 03-23-2006, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

What exactly do you pursade people into doing?

I saw the option to do this come up on a lady while playing last night. The A.D.D. in me made me skip the constant pages of instructions that kept popping up and what I was left with was that pie graph thing (which you explained nicely above). I ended up quitting that and just killing her.
post #119 of 491 Old 03-23-2006, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What exactly do you pursade people into doing?

I saw the option to do this come up on a lady while playing last night. The A.D.D. in me made me skip the constant pages of instructions that kept popping up and what I was left with was that pie graph thing (which you explained nicely above). I ended up quitting that and just killing her.

persuade them to like you more. the number represents how much they like you. higher number = better impression.

higher number = better chance at getting good bargains if they barter. (that's all I've seen so far... might affect dialog later on)

post #120 of 491 Old 03-23-2006, 08:26 PM

This game is just ridonkulous. I've never liked RPGs in my life, but picked this up simply because of its size and the hype. There's no turning back now. I'm freakin hooked!

XBL:  B Klip

PSN:  Chodite

Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page