Official ES4: Oblivion thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 491 Old 03-28-2006, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
So it looks like I picked on of the worse birthsigns possible, "The Serpent". Does anyone know what it means to "Dispel Magic on Self" anyways? My character is pretty good other than that and I don't really want to re-start.

PSN / Steam - KrimsonStudios
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 491 Old 03-28-2006, 01:02 PM

Liked: 10
Usually dispel helps you remove a spell that has been cast on you, especially a spell that is causing a negative effect on your person.
post #183 of 491 Old 03-28-2006, 01:06 PM

Dispelling magic on self would be used to remove all magical status effects on your character. So if an evil mage or shaman casts something on you that makes you susceptible to fire and starts hitting you with fire spells you could trigger this birthsign effect and remove the negative status. Unfortunately if you've cast any spells to boost or protect yourself like say shield those will be removed as well. Dispel does not fix attribute damage or diseases. So this sort of birthsign is good for a character that is non-magic. The poison means you need a character that fights at touch range, say a thief. I imagine the skill will be more useful at higher levels when magic becomes prevalent.

The fact it heals, removes status effects and helps you do extra damage makes it a more effective birthsign than the previous game if you plan your character accordingly.
post #184 of 491 Old 03-28-2006, 08:34 PM

This game gets REALLY laggy!! I read about holding the A button when starting the 360, but it doesn't seem to be working. It gets totally horrible when I am on my horse traveling across the countryside. The Loading Area thingy always pops up and it gets super laggy.

The lag is the worst thing about the game. Besides that, I'm level 10 and I've been playing for 23 hours.

Anyone else plagued by the framedrops?

Nothing is real
post #185 of 491 Old 03-28-2006, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadEyeB View Post

All I have to say is to make sure you keep save games strung out over a long period of time. I just had a glitch in the Thieves Guild Quest "Ahdarji's Heirloom" were I ended up with two of the item I was attempting to steal. As it turns out if that happens you are not able to complete the quest thus precluding any future thieves guild advancement.

I'm seeing reports of a number of quest glitches on Oblivion's forums, in a game this complex this is to be expected.

Just make sure you keep multiple saves and don't rely on auto save to bail you out.

That's pretty disconcerting since I delete all my saved games each time I turn off the 360 and start playing again. I didn't originally want to, but for some reason I have a glitch where if I quit the game then continue, my new saved games start at the very bottom of the list then work their way up. It would be a huge pain in the ass to try and keep scrolling down the list and finding the most recent saves. I still need to exchange my disc too because of the "read error", I wonder if that would fix that problem or if it's a Hard Drive issue?
post #186 of 491 Old 03-29-2006, 06:10 AM

Mine has been freezing and locking up like crazy, lost an other hour or so of play.

I just read something about holding the power button when you turn on the 360 clears the hd
post #187 of 491 Old 03-29-2006, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukealexan View Post

Mine has been freezing and locking up like crazy, lost an other hour or so of play.

I just read something about holding the power button when you turn on the 360 clears the hd

hold down the a button on the controller clears the hd cache. It helps some people load faster supposedly.
post #188 of 491 Old 03-29-2006, 07:06 AM

The one thing I will say about the "a" button fix that is left out of most descriptions is that your 360 should be fully on if you are using a wireless controller. Doing a cold start of the 360 with the Oblivion disk in the drive with my wireless controller and holding down "a" didn't seem to fix the cache problem. However, when I turned on the XBox and started the game from the blade and held "a" it did fix the problem. I'm not sure when the controller fully connects to the XBox 360 at startup and my understanding is that even if you use the charging cable the wireless controller is still connection wirelessly.

So if clearing the cache with "a" isn't working for you I'd start the 360 without Oblivion in the drive and then when you load the game press "a". It could be that I pressed the a button too late/early the first go around though. I have no way of testing this since the game has worked fine since that initial problem.
post #189 of 491 Old 03-29-2006, 08:41 AM

I used the "a" fix once at about 8 hours in as the game was starting to take 10-30 seconds to process through a dialogue menu and my "b" menu. So far 14 hrs later I haven't yet had a repeat of the problem. I do however save freuquenly as mine has locked up leaving cities or gone to a "can't read disc" error during fights.
post #190 of 491 Old 03-29-2006, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I've gotten 1 "can't read disc error" as I was about to talk to someone. Now I know to save my game constantly.

post #191 of 491 Old 03-29-2006, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I try to remember to hold "A" every time I boot up the game. I figure it doesn't hurt. I usually wait until the ring-of-light on the controller goes solid on slot 1, then I hit "A'. It is about that time that the Xbox 360 splash screen is done and the game starts to load, so I think it works. I haven't had any problems.

Xbox/PS/WiiU gamertag: GoNats
Apple Game Center: iGoNats

post #192 of 491 Old 03-29-2006, 12:21 PM

i as well have gotten a cant read disc error.... it wasnt that far after i saved, so i didnt lose too much progress, but still a pain....
post #193 of 491 Old 03-29-2006, 01:43 PM

You really should only do the "hold A" trick if your drive is fragmented. Like if you switch to other games frequently that save to your HD as well. Otherwise it would be pointless and your cache won't build which will cause more "loading screens" effectively defeating the purpose of caching. I only get the "loading" message when I go to new places (because it has to read it from the DVD and place it on the hard drive), once I've visited a place I don't get them the next time I visit.
post #194 of 491 Old 03-29-2006, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh. OK. I'll try it without holding A for awhile and see how it goes. Though the load screens aren't bothersome to me.

post #195 of 491 Old 03-29-2006, 03:56 PM

Interesting. I didn't know you could clear the temp data file cache on the X360 by holding A at startup. Is this a general thing or just an Oblivion thing? When should you start holding it, and how long should you hold it? Do you get a confirmation of the cache being cleared?

Oblivion's load times haven't gotten longer for me, too, and I wouldn't be surprised if my drive was fragmented pretty badly from the various demos/trailers/etc. I've downloaded and data stored there by games. I'd love it if this would help resolve one of my only really gripes with Oblivion.
post #196 of 491 Old 03-29-2006, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool54 View Post

i as well have gotten a cant read disc error.... it wasnt that far after i saved, so i didnt lose too much progress, but still a pain....

OK, it guess it's "good" to hear that other people are having this problem as well. I still haven't gotten around to exchanging my disc though. I got the "disc insurance" from EB games though, so no rush even if I get past the exchange date.
post #197 of 491 Old 03-29-2006, 09:01 PM

Is anyone else having a problem activating things?

I'm on the canvas in the castle quest. I have found the odd painting, and the paint stain, but when the fist comes up as your cursor (activation) and I press A, nothing happens.
And when I go into the maids room to find paint supplies, there's a chair leaning against the table, preventing me from opening her box

Is it possible to screw up a quest so that the game prevents you from finishing it?
post #198 of 491 Old 03-29-2006, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Your more than likely missing something that lets you activate it.
For instance some blocked entrances have hidden switches and some stones can only be activated at certain times. You miss the switch or go at the wrong time the activate button will not work.
post #199 of 491 Old 03-30-2006, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photic View Post

You really should only do the "hold A" trick if your drive is fragmented. Like if you switch to other games frequently that save to your HD as well. Otherwise it would be pointless and your cache won't build which will cause more "loading screens" effectively defeating the purpose of caching. I only get the "loading" message when I go to new places (because it has to read it from the DVD and place it on the hard drive), once I've visited a place I don't get them the next time I visit.

I absolutely agree with this. I had no problems with oblivion running but I decided to go ahead and press A while it was booting. For the first hour last night, my loading times were significantly LONGER than before. Oh well, ya live and you learn. I guess I would suggest to NOT clear the cache unless you are having significant problems.
post #200 of 491 Old 03-30-2006, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'm around seventh level now, playing an Argonian Assassin who goes by he name of Sinn H'arr K'ahn. He's wearing light armour, a mixture of leather and chainmail with a large leather shield. His weapons of choice are a Long Bow and a Long sword.

I came across some caves just outside of Imperial city last night and decided to investigate. Low and behold it was some sort of outpost for a group of bandits. Slowly but surely I skulked within the shadows and took them out one by one. Always starting with a 6x damage attack from behind.

Eventually I came upon a larger, more cavernous area with a few bandit's roaming about. I hate taking on more than one enemy at a time due to the fact that I usually end up dead. Instead I just lurked in the shadows and moved from one dark area to the next which eventually lead me to the bounty that they were hoarding. Not only that but I also managed to sneak up behind those left behind and remove various items from their belongings.

In and out I went, killing most of them, and robbing the rest blind!

This game rules!

"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."

Ash - Army of Darkness
post #201 of 491 Old 03-30-2006, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I "unlocked" Dar Jee as a Fence but when I go to talk to him there is no bartering button to sell my stolen gear. Anybody have any ideas on whether this is normal?

post #202 of 491 Old 03-30-2006, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloideyes View Post

This game gets REALLY laggy!! I read about holding the A button when starting the 360, but it doesn't seem to be working. It gets totally horrible when I am on my horse traveling across the countryside. The Loading Area thingy always pops up and it gets super laggy.

The lag is the worst thing about the game. Besides that, I'm level 10 and I've been playing for 23 hours.

Anyone else plagued by the framedrops?

Your not alone!

I am level 10 after about 23 hours as well. The game really gets choppy (drops frames) for me as well. In fact, I would venture to say it runs like crap! I would never play an FPS with the framerates I get in Oblivion. But because it is not a fast paced game, I can tolerate it. I have a hard time believing other people are getting constant "silky smooth" framerates through out the game. The only time it is smooth for me is indoors or in the woods where I can't see very far. I also think the draw distance is pretty bad, as I move through the forest things just "pop" out of nowhere for me all the time. I have not, however, had any disc read errors or other issues. And yes, I have cleared the cache, a couple times in a row, then I left it to build up again. I pretty much have only played Oblivion since I got it, so I don't see how my drive could be very fragged.

Don't get me wrong, I am having a blast. But I am saddened by the fact that I feel like this game has already hit the limit of what the 360 can do. And yes, I know. It is amazing that a $400 piece of hardware can run this game at all, but it still makes me sad!

Gamertag: zbose

The System is down. The System is down.
post #203 of 491 Old 03-30-2006, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbose View Post

Don't get me wrong, I am having a blast. But I am saddened by the fact that I feel like this game has already hit the limit of what the 360 can do. And yes, I know. It is amazing that a $400 piece of hardware can run this game at all, but it still makes me sad!

Fear not. They have not even begun to tap into the power of the 360. Just look at the first Xbox games and compare them to the last. Programming for the 360 will only improve.

"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."

Ash - Army of Darkness
post #204 of 491 Old 03-30-2006, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgmckee View Post

I am. At least I think I am. I've seen the Activate option on the screen quite a bit, and when I hit the "A" button, nothing seems to happen. I'm not sure if it's doing something that I just can't see or what the deal is. I think this happens with road signs for me a lot of times.

post #205 of 491 Old 03-30-2006, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

A couple times, trying to activate a gate (the cursor changes), it didn't open. Then, I look around and see a lever that I should use instead.

I mainly stick with fast travel when possible. However, since a lot of quests require you to get to the place yourself the first time, I've also done some overland running. No framerate problems for me at all. My 360 was purchased (from Sam's Club) the week GRAW came out (I bought it mainly for Oblivion, but GRAW was on sale)

One laggy issue I've been encountering lately, on the otherhand, is when I try to get my inventory up... or when I try to open a chest/sack/any container. That one dialog box takes around 3 seconds to load. Seems like a lifetime, since when I started the game, it took zero time to pop up.

One Sub to rumble them all. One Sub to shake them. One Sub to humble them all, and in the darkness break them.
post #206 of 491 Old 03-30-2006, 12:43 PM

I finished the Dark Brotherhood storyline and there are come great quests and the story is pretty good. In one of them you have to wipe out a group of people in a house and that one is excellent.

Now I'm working on the Mage Guild and Thief Guild. I don't know if I can join the fighters guild because they want people with clean records and I had accidentally sullied my record very very early in the game.
post #207 of 491 Old 03-30-2006, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photic View Post

I finished the Dark Brotherhood storyline and there are come great quests and the story is pretty good. In one of them you have to wipe out a group of people in a house and that one is excellent.

Now I'm working on the Mage Guild and Thief Guild. I don't know if I can join the fighters guild because they want people with clean records and I had accidentally sullied my record very very early in the game.

Fear not! I thought the same thing, but as long as you have no outstanding bounties (last tab of your stats page) you may join the guild with no problems. I got arrested a few times in the beginning of the game, but paid my dues, so to speak (even spent time in jail) and its cool, I joined up.

Later

Keither

Gamertag: The Keither
post #208 of 491 Old 03-31-2006, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamelover360 View Post

At this point the game is more fun than real life. If only I could get married in the game and have kids, then I wouldn't need my real life wife and I could make the break from reality completely!

That was hilarous !!
thanks
post #209 of 491 Old 03-31-2006, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Keither View Post

Fear not! I thought the same thing, but as long as you have no outstanding bounties (last tab of your stats page) you may join the guild with no problems. I got arrested a few times in the beginning of the game, but paid my dues, so to speak (even spent time in jail) and its cool, I joined up.

Later

You can also go to certain people to get it cleared. I believe even the church can clear you according to one of hte loading screens I read. That is why I am doing the fighters guild first, then I can turn evil!!
post #210 of 491 Old 03-31-2006, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quick tip... To quickly raise Alchemy, only make potions using 2 ingredients... You get more times to raise Alchemy because you are making more potions, and you get more money as you sell those potions.

Its soo obvious, but I missed it the first 10 hours of gameplay on my mage...
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page