Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 491 Old 03-20-2006, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Probably everyone that has it is too busy playing it. One reason why I didnt get it yet. I need to coincide my getting it with some vacation... and my HDTV purchase.
post #3 of 491 Old 03-20-2006, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The Dean's got it

XBOX - Hyperplasia | PS4 - Hyperplasia
post #4 of 491 Old 03-20-2006, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangs55 View Post

The Dean's got it

No kidding?
post #5 of 491 Old 03-20-2006, 03:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I played it at a friends house earlier today for about 20 mins and even though I am not an RPG fan it seems like a very cool game .

-------- Jason
post #6 of 491 Old 03-20-2006, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I think the title of this thread is wrong. No one plays Oblivion, their lives become Oblivion.

Dasetup
post #7 of 491 Old 03-20-2006, 04:14 PM

Sort of like World of Warcrack :0) Which i became addicted to. But Oblivion is on my list to get.
post #8 of 491 Old 03-20-2006, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

I too was addicted to World of Warcraft, while at the same time I traditionally don't like RPG's. I'm really curious to see if this game, like WoW, is so good that it can appeal to gamers who don't even like RPG's.
post #9 of 491 Old 03-20-2006, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey guys, my ears were burnin so I thought I would drop by with some early impressions.
I haven't had any real time to offer anything close to a review or rate it or anything at this point because my time with it has been short.

Basically I played through to the first achievement which involves getting out of the initial area you start in and make it outside.
You get the usual stuff early on starting with character creation. Probably the most involved I have seen for a console game, and one where you will never really see your face in game.
On that note, I was kind of freaked out because the default character strikes a resembelance to yours truly. A few more tweaks and I had a character that was a spitting image.
I got to explore some caves, walk around the countryside, ride a horse, and do some swimming. It was a very adventurous couple of hours and even for that short of a time it's hard to sum it all up.
There's so much here and the area is so huge. 16 sq miles, I believe. There are many things to pick up in the game, in fact you can grab just about anything even if it won't be used for anything.
There's also lockpicking, which I'm still a little cofused how to do. Thannk God there is an auto pick feature.
The voice acting is really done well, Patrick Stewart really takes a game up to new levels just hearing his narration.
The score is quite excellent as well.
So initially my take is the graphics look really good. The buildings & textures are really detailed as well as some of the outdoor environments. The character movements and fighting is a step up from Morrowind.

My New Xbox Live Gamertag: General Hazard
post #10 of 491 Old 03-20-2006, 06:16 PM

Dean, and anyone else for that matter that likes RPG's, I have a question for you.

I have never been a PC gamer, and I have never been an RPG gamer. The closest I have ever played to a true RPG was the Legend of Zelda. Anyhow, this game looks great, and I hear so many great things about it, it makes me want to buy the game.

However, I don't want to spend $60 on it if it is a true hardcore RPG that I wouldn't like.

Anyhow, just curious what some of you RPG fans think of this game and whether or not a casual gamer like myself might enjoy it. Thanks!
post #11 of 491 Old 03-20-2006, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tour de Force View Post

I have never been a PC gamer, and I have never been an RPG gamer....
Anyhow, just curious what some of you RPG fans think of this game and whether or not a casual gamer like myself might enjoy it. Thanks!

I'm in the same boat. I've never played a RPG game, not ever. Mostly FPS and car racers/sims. But Oblivion has sparked my interest.

Clearaudio Ovation/Magnify/Concerto v2; Herron Audio VTPH-2
Naim Audio ND5XS/NAC282/HC/NAP250-2; Dynaudio S3.4e2; REL R-328
post #12 of 491 Old 03-20-2006, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
I haven't played Oblivion yet but I played both its predecessors Daggerfall and Morrowind.
It really depends on the type of gamer you are. I always liked these games but never really thought of them as mainstream.

If you like a lot of structure you definitely don't want this game. There is a main quest but, if its like morrowind, there is nothing to push you towards it so you pretty much just wander around and do what you like. If you are good at making your own fun and love exploring then you will like it. If you hate that type of thing and just want to get on with the next plot point to 'finish' the game, well then you may not like it.
post #13 of 491 Old 03-20-2006, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Let it be said that I do not like RPG's especially turn based style games and games like KOTOR although I enjoyed KOTOR.
IMO this game is an RPG in the way that the game is designed based on the algorythms used to determine various outcomes. For me, this game is more of an adventure game although it has traditional RPG elements like leveling up and spell casting etc.
I can tolerate RPG's like World of Warcraft, Kotor, or similar games that bring exciting ideas to the table but games like Final Fantasy bore the heck out of me.

As far as spending $60 go, it depends on what you expect to get out of it. I was just going through the strategy guide, which is HUGE, and the level of depth in the game is unbelievable. They really have put a lot into this game.

So if you are interested in following an adventurous storyline & quests, building a character etc, this game will be for you. For me, it's all about the adventure. There are some really cool elements that I want to go back & explore. But I am by no means an RPG guy so take this for what it is worth.

post #14 of 491 Old 03-20-2006, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitTRL1000 View Post

I too was addicted to World of Warcraft, while at the same time I traditionally don't like RPG's. I'm really curious to see if this game, like WoW, is so good that it can appeal to gamers who don't even like RPG's.

I'm not so sure, there is something about the multiplayer aspects of a MMO that add a strong addictive nature, imo.
post #15 of 491 Old 03-21-2006, 03:19 AM

i bought xbox1 just for morrowind and got a core 3 days ago just for oblivion id pay 300.00 for just the game no other game compares just hope no bugs like on morrowind for xbox1
post #16 of 491 Old 03-21-2006, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

It's a lot like Morrowind but with a lot of improvements since you don't get lost as easily as I did in the first game.
What I don't really like about the game is the menu. It's probably more intuitive on the PC but on the 360 it takes some getting used to navigate.
You bring up the menu with the B button and from there you use the triggers and the D pad or analog stick to flip through the pages.
There are also load times of about 20 seconds or so to go into buildings and as you are riding around the countryside load screens for new areas pop up but it's kind of like Halo
in that you only ntice it for a second.
Again, graphically the game is good. Some things look great and detailed but there is still clipping in some areas and some things pop right into view when you are looking at a distance.
The game isn't perfect but there's so much to the game that it's easy to overlook some of these minor things.

post #17 of 491 Old 03-21-2006, 06:27 AM

I got to play it for about 2hours last night. It sounds like Dean has gotten farther in then I have. Anyways this definitely an RPG with some adventure sytle to it.

So far I have had fun, and I have briefly looked through the guide. Normally I don't buy guides but for $25 CAN and for the size of the thing I thought I should.

So far the hardest part of the game was decided what class I wanted to play as.

I went as a mage but I still am a little lost to how aquire new spells.
post #18 of 491 Old 03-21-2006, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

I was going to try and hold out to this weekend to get it but I saw on the boards it was available here in ohio and I broke down and went and bought it.

How does it look? I don't get into all the details of graphics and lighting and what not. All I can say is the art work is incredible. Its very immersive as well. When your in the sewers it makes you feel like your in some dank sewer. So far what I have seen of the city art work it is excellent. The game as a whole has a very Myth/Riven feel to it. They have very much captured the story/adventure feel in the game. It does truly feel like your exploring a new world.

(side not...early on I start picking the lock on one of the shops in the city and was caught by one of the guards. I didnt even realize I was doing something I shouldnt be doing at the time. I felt much shame and then I reloaded the game.)

Controls. The controls are very responsive and I can't see any defects when I pan quickly. Its very responsive and you have the ability to tweak this as well. The item menu's are pretty self explanatory all though I do wish there was a character view that showed all the items you are wearing. Maybe it just me but for practical purposes there are basically four hot keys you can use while you play.
The D-pad acts as the hotkey selector. Its just hitting a diagonal in the middle of combat doesnt seem real comfortable yet. Thats okay though. That means you have four combat spells and four buff/non combat spells hotkeyed.

Combat. Im still getting use to it but it is definetly more of a FPS feel to it. I remember reading that all spells automatically hit. Sure that's true if the monster stays in front of you. But I have missed a few times with the creature spotting me as I was lining up the shot and then bolting for me. Also I definetly like that you don't default to being able to see things before they see you. Like I said the combat is very real time/ action oriented it is definetly not a turn based combat system.

Game System. Overall I really like the system. Its very open, very easy to customize your character. There is a crazy amount of customization to how your character looks. Honestly why they would use so much on a single player game is beyond me but its there if you want it. Creating your character is quite enjoyable although I will bet after time that there will be 2 or 3 uber builds. This game definetly would not lend it self to online play. At least not the way it is balanced right now.

Difficulty...Now this I was really pleasantly suprised by. There is a sliding bar that you can adjust the difficulty of the game at any point. Turning it up definetly increases the difficulty of the game. I turned it up just after I started and I could just barely defeat a giant rat. I always hate the turn based rpgs because encounters become trivial. If you know what your doing there is never any danger. This game is nothing like that. If your getting overly comfortable turn up the difficulty a bit.

Overall there is a definet 'feel' to the game that I'm still getting use to. I have the feeling that some might not appreciate it but for now I am really enjoying it.

(Final note I dont have much to say about the audio yet because I was playing this after the kids went to bed and didn't want to wake anyone. Ill edit this later to tell everyone about the audio)

TV - Samsung DLP 4674W
Receiver - Pioneer 1015-K
Speakers - Polk 6901 (7.1 setup)
Sub - PSW303
DVD - LG 3510A
post #19 of 491 Old 03-21-2006, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shieze View Post

I got to play it for about 2hours last night. It sounds like Dean has gotten farther in then I have. Anyways this definitely an RPG with some adventure sytle to it.

So far I have had fun, and I have briefly looked through the guide. Normally I don't buy guides but for $25 CAN and for the size of the thing I thought I should.

So far the hardest part of the game was decided what class I wanted to play as.

I went as a mage but I still am a little lost to how aquire new spells.

As you move thought the sewers and loot some of the spell casters you get 4 basic spells. Fire damage, healing, cloak, and light spells

After that you have to start buying them. Although I do have summon spell that Im not sure how I acquired. As soon as you get out of the sewers there is a city near you with a merchant district that has a shop that sells spells. Also I know there is a Mage University south of the city but I havent visited it yet.

You should definetly hotkey your spells. It makes it much more effective when you can use several spells at once in combat.

TV - Samsung DLP 4674W
Sub - PSW303
DVD - LG 3510A
post #20 of 491 Old 03-21-2006, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
So you get to ride horses....is it like Barbie Horse Adventure!?!?!? :P

I thought this game was multiplayer online...yes/no?? Is Oblivion just a standard single player RPG a-la Fable and the old games that have come before it?

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #21 of 491 Old 03-21-2006, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Difficulty...Now this I was really pleasantly suprised by. There is a sliding bar that you can adjust the difficulty of the game at any point. Turning it up definetly increases the difficulty of the game. I turned it up just after I started and I could just barely defeat a giant rat. I always hate the turn based rpgs because encounters become trivial. If you know what your doing there is never any danger. This game is nothing like that. If your getting overly comfortable turn up the difficulty a bit.

I actually found that last night when I was playing & was a little dissapointed. In a game where you are supposed to work on your character and level up, etc. it seems odd to be able to change your skill level, especially after the game has started.
I will say it is probably the best skill level chooser I have seen in a game but it seems like it can defeat the purpose of the whole game.
You are going to have people out there turning the slider all the way down to nothing and blowing thru the game.

post #22 of 491 Old 03-21-2006, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxThe Deanxx View Post

You are going to have people out there turning the slider all the way down to nothing and blowing thru the game.

This happens in most games, my Nephews do it all the time. So what? Play it on the hardest difficulty and it will last you a long time. That's what I do. Who cares what everyone else is doing?

"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."

Ash - Army of Darkness
post #23 of 491 Old 03-21-2006, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

So you get to ride horses....is it like Barbie Horse Adventure!?!?!? :P

You tell me.

Ash - Army of Darkness
post #24 of 491 Old 03-21-2006, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxThe Deanxx View Post

I actually found that last night when I was playing & was a little dissapointed. In a game where you are supposed to work on your character and level up, etc. it seems odd to be able to change your skill level, especially after the game has started.
I will say it is probably the best skill level chooser I have seen in a game but it seems like it can defeat the purpose of the whole game.

Okay I admit I a horrible min/maxer. Im glad that even after I max my character I can adjust the difficulty so that those lich encounters wont be a walk through. The only thing I wish is that the difficulty meter was tied to how good of loot is dropped. The hard the difficulty the better the loot that should drop.

Regards,

TV - Samsung DLP 4674W
Sub - PSW303
DVD - LG 3510A
post #25 of 491 Old 03-21-2006, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kysersose View Post

You tell me.

lol, touche kysersose

post #26 of 491 Old 03-21-2006, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

I got mine yesterday but got a disc read error when I popped it in, DOH!! Have to exchange it today.
post #27 of 491 Old 03-21-2006, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm on my way to pick it up...

It's good to take the entire day off.

post #28 of 491 Old 03-21-2006, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangs55 View Post

lol, touche kysersose

Hope you don't mind me borrowing that pic from the other thread.

Ash - Army of Darkness
post #29 of 491 Old 03-21-2006, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kysersose View Post

This happens in most games, my Nephews do it all the time. So what? Play it on the hardest difficulty and it will last you a long time. That's what I do. Who cares what everyone else is doing?

I guess I don't realy 'care' about how others play it but you are inevitably going to read about people finishing it and they probably will do it on the easisest setting.
This isn't just like picking a skill level, it's more comparable to the sliders in the EA sports games. It makes it impossible to not win confrontations.
The other thing is when you look at other people's progress in the game, as we are now capable of doing, you may need some assitance or a tip only to realize they got where they are by playing it on a really easy skill level.

And then finally, there's the temptation issue. Why bother going & leveling up when you can just adjust the slider & go on?

I would have been fine with a few skill level choices but setting the slider all the way down to zero is ridiculous.

my 2 cents...

post #30 of 491 Old 03-21-2006, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinoza_43221 View Post

Okay I admit I a horrible min/maxer. Im glad that even after I max my character I can adjust the difficulty so that those lich encounters wont be a walk through. The only thing I wish is that the difficulty meter was tied to how good of loot is dropped. The hard the difficulty the better the loot that should drop.

Regards,

Agreed, the meter should have some sort of negative or positive affect. It seems silly to have a game where you build your character to get to a certain point and then just have to adjust a slider if you get stuck.

Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page