post #31 of 151 Old 06-06-2006, 02:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcats
Jason... what is that exactly. Does it mean that DVD's are now upconverted to 720p (over VGA)?
Yes , but don't expect much from the upconversion quality ... it does not compete with a good upconverting standalone dvd player IMO .

---------- Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 151 Old 06-06-2006, 02:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Downloaded. DvD playback over component still overly bright. I know this because i hit the xbox menu button the controller to bring up the blade and it was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy to bright. I have it a custom color of red and it was barely red. Damn you MS. But thanks for the other stuff.
post #33 of 151 Old 06-06-2006, 02:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Music Player

* Player now populates music data (Title, Artist, etc.) when no track information is available

I just noticed this... so now it connects to Microsoft and tells them which mp3's we have that are seeking data? I'm on the fence on this one either way, I just wasn't expecting it so quickly.

Last Watched 3D: Oz the Great and Powerful

It should be called Violet-Ray

post #34 of 151 Old 06-06-2006, 03:02 AM

MS-actually........................listened to us. man am i impressed. reading one review on the update noted an MS fellow saying "well, we noticed people wanted this..." and huge company noticing what people want is just lovely to me
post #35 of 151 Old 06-06-2006, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp
Yes , but don't expect much from the upconversion quality ... it does not compete with a good upconverting standalone dvd player IMO .

---------- Jason
Cool. It should be good enough till the HD-DVD arrives. :)
post #36 of 151 Old 06-06-2006, 03:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Cool. It should be good enough till the HD-DVD arrives. :)
Hehe , that is exactly what I was comparing it to (my HD-A1) . For example ... my Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD player looks better over S-Video than the 360 looks over VGA (with SD DVD's) even though the 360 is upconverting and the Toshiba is sending 480i ;) . But then again it could be display dependent so YMMV .

----------- Jason
post #37 of 151 Old 06-06-2006, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 59
This is interesting:

* Improved voice quality when connected through wired gamepad
Finally a use for those wired pads other than MAME

I found the A1-HD to be a very good upconverter, much better than the dedicated (under $100) player we have. I need to find out if it upscales better than my Z3 as upscaling is not its stong point.

I just read this on another board, anyone care to comment? I will not be able to check till I get home tonight:

Quote:

Anyway as you all know VGA on the 360 seems to be washed out and lacking colour compared to Component (the degree of this depends on your T.V. though, luckily mine wasn't as severe as others). Well after the Spring update colours are much richer and the brightness and contrast now seem normal (on par with Component). It looks just amazing, and now there's absolutely no reason to use Component if you're HDTV supports it ^_^.

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #38 of 151 Old 06-06-2006, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ.Cone
This is interesting:

* Improved voice quality when connected through wired gamepad
Finally a use for those wired pads other than MAME

I found the A1-HD to be a very good upconverter, much better than the dedicated (under $100) player we have. I need to find out if it upscales better than my Z3 as upscaling is not its stong point.

I just read this on another board, anyone care to comment? I will not be able to check till I get home tonight:

I am going to disagree with what someone said up above and say that to my eyes dvd playback is a lot better.. as is overall pic thru VGA.. it may be wishful thinking but I went back and recalibrated using DVE and the pic looks great for DVD and gameplay. If I didn't own an Oppo already there would be no reason to buy another upconverting player as far as I can tell.. fwiw, I am using a 32" Aquos with the 360 set to 1366*768.

Curious to hear other peoples results... but I will say that it definitely looks better to me.

Cory
post #39 of 151 Old 06-06-2006, 06:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 17
I use the 360 as my DVD player over component. I've found it a bit washed out and have had trouble adjusting the projector for it. Any thoughts on the improvement in that regard? I don't hav my projector at the moment and my 360 is going into the shop soon as well. So, I can't check it out myself *whimper*.

I think this update looks great but I really wish we could have had friend's list organization. I want to be able to put a note on my friends so I can tell who they are in real life. And I want to create folders like AVS or RealLife or something like that and put them into the proper categories.
post #40 of 151 Old 06-06-2006, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Jason... what is that exactly. Does it mean that DVD's are now upconverted to 720p (over VGA)?
That's what it means. I'm not sure about all the legality of it, but I also scale DVDs on my PC to 1280x720 to feed my TV, and though the DVI connection on the TV supports HDCP, I'm pretty sure the DVI out on the video card doesn't, so maybe there are some loopholes.

Edit - Actually, it upscales to the set VGA resolution, not just 1280x720.

-Lee
XBL GT: S4Lee
(Former) MS MVP - Xbox
post #41 of 151 Old 06-06-2006, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Just got the update, and let me say that background downloading is so so very nice. I haven't download all of the E3 stuff yet because I just couldn't get myself to let it sit, I'd rather play.

That said, I question why they created so many menu options for new movies/games, themes/gamertags. I liked just opening once and seeing all the NEW stuff there was, now we have to open multiple menus. I'm sure that I'll get used to it, but right now it just seems more cluttered and jumbled than before. Seems like there are more places where a video can get stuffed and lost...kind of like when you create a ton of folders on your desktop, and folders in those, and folders in those...then you can never find what you want. Even live arcade got this 'improvement'. I hope that in the next update this'll get streamlined.

Dasetup
post #42 of 151 Old 06-06-2006, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper
I use the 360 as my DVD player over component. I've found it a bit washed out and have had trouble adjusting the projector for it. Any thoughts on the improvement in that regard? I don't hav my projector at the moment and my 360 is going into the shop soon as well. So, I can't check it out myself *whimper*.

I think this update looks great but I really wish we could have had friend's list organization. I want to be able to put a note on my friends so I can tell who they are in real life. And I want to create folders like AVS or RealLife or something like that and put them into the proper categories.
360 DVD player is crap. You can get a much better player for like $70 these days.
post #43 of 151 Old 06-06-2006, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Thanks for your educated input, Yoda. Could you please point out all these cheap DVD players that are better?
post #44 of 151 Old 06-06-2006, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I've never noticed poor DVD movie playback with my Xbox360. Seems just as good as my progressive scan Panasonic DVD player.

Xbox/PS/WiiU gamertag: GoNats
Apple Game Center: iGoNats

post #45 of 151 Old 06-06-2006, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda1
360 DVD player is crap. You can get a much better player for like $70 these days.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1.../stfu_yoda.gif
post #46 of 151 Old 06-06-2006, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGuyX
:eek: LOL!!!

Love me some HD
post #47 of 151 Old 06-06-2006, 10:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Now if you were talking Xbox 1 I would pretty much agree but the 360 is actually a decent dvd player (once proper calibration has been done) . However the upconversion quality over VGA is nothing to get too excited about IMO .

Also it would appear that the VGA output is better now as far as the color/washout/levels issue , but again this still could end up being display dependent so YMMV ;) .

-------- Jason
post #48 of 151 Old 06-06-2006, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
^^
Quote:

Perfect!

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #49 of 151 Old 06-06-2006, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Edit - Actually, it upscales to the set VGA resolution, not just 1280x720.
That's a significant value add if you have a display that can use it. :)

Quote:
Now if you were talking Xbox 1 I would pretty much agree but the 360 is actually a decent dvd player (once proper calibration has been done) . However the upconversion quality over VGA is nothing to get too excited about IMO .

Also it would appear that the VGA output is better now as far as the color/washout/levels issue , but again this still could end up being display dependent so YMMV .
I'll have to check it's 1080i upscale and compare it my XBMC and Helios standalone. The dvd player could get some use on one of my displays ;) Keep in mind if you're comparing to the Toshiba $500/$800 hd-dvd player you're comparing to what many are considering top of the line quality upscaling.

Consider this for pure value as free software update... Background downloading :) Boot to Blade :)

Family DVD Collection
Insider thread last question? R.I.P.
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
Samuel Johnson 1709-1784, British Author
post #50 of 151 Old 06-06-2006, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
http://www.cinematical.com/images/20...damsandler.jpg
AH HA HA HA HA! OH MY GOD THAT IS FUNNY!

No, really, that is funny as hell.

XBL: Rocko1290
PSN: Rocko1290
post #51 of 151 Old 06-06-2006, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp

Also it would appear that the VGA output is better now as far as the color/washout/levels issue , but again this still could end up being display dependent so YMMV ;) .

-------- Jason
It really does appear that the VGA output has been improved, though as Jason said YMMV. I had my TV serviced yesterday, so I can't definitely attribute the improvement to the dash update.
post #52 of 151 Old 06-06-2006, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Why will it only upconvert over VGA? Hopefully PS3 will have better DVD playback...

XBL: Rocko1290
PSN: Rocko1290
post #53 of 151 Old 06-06-2006, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Microsoft needs to give the entire xbox live team a big fat bonus check.
post #54 of 151 Old 06-06-2006, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko1290
Why will it only upconvert over VGA? Hopefully PS3 will have better DVD playback...
Movie studios put a lot of pressure on CE manufacturers to not allow upscaling over component. So upscaling over VGA is sort of a loophole. Supposedly DVD playback in general has improved, but I don't use the 360 as a DVD player, so I can't really comment.
post #55 of 151 Old 06-06-2006, 02:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 17
So, I guess no one has tried it out over component and has any comment?
post #56 of 151 Old 06-06-2006, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco
Movie studios put a lot of pressure on CE manufacturers to not allow upscaling over component. So upscaling over VGA is sort of a loophole. Supposedly DVD playback in general has improved, but I don't use the 360 as a DVD player, so I can't really comment.
Yes the blame does not fall on console manufacturers. Personally I am happy to see this so I can properly tune my projector now that I can display my calibration disc at 720P.

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #57 of 151 Old 06-06-2006, 02:03 PM

For those who used to (or still) have problems with a washed out pic over VGA, are you using the official MSFT cable or a third party? The first VGA cable I tried was a third party cheapy and the image was quite noticeable washed out vs. component. Then I tried the MSFT cable and the difference was indistuingishable (at leats at 1280x720 VGA res).

I've never been a believer that cable quality matters, but in this case I saw a clear difference.
post #58 of 151 Old 06-06-2006, 02:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlsim
Keep in mind if you're comparing to the Toshiba $500/$800 hd-dvd player you're comparing to what many are considering top of the line quality upscaling.
Yes but what I stated was that S-Video out from the Toshiba @ 480i looks better than the Upscaled 360 image over VGA ;) .

------------ Jason
post #59 of 151 Old 06-06-2006, 02:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper
So, I guess no one has tried it out over component and has any comment?
It does not upconvert over Component , tried it ;) .

--------- Jason
post #60 of 151 Old 06-06-2006, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ.Cone
Yes the blame does not fall on console manufacturers. Personally I am happy to see this so I can properly tune my projector now that I can display my calibration disc at 720P.

Sadly it does not work , I already tried it and the AVIA/DVE calibration does not come out proper for gaming even though it is now upscaled to whatever your VGA is set for ( 720 , 768 , etc. ) . Again however this could be display dependent , so ... ;) .

----------- Jason
Closed Thread Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page