Costco Rocks! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 92 Old 07-19-2006, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So my launch day Xbox 360 had a problem yesterday. The very first one, and it had nothing to do with the unit itself. My wireless controller would not charge. So, one call to Costco and they say bring in the entire thing (the Xbox 360 bundle) and we'll return it for you and give you a cash card to buy another. So, 1 hour later I have a brand new 360 in my home. Not bad considering I got it launch day and never had a single problem with the Xbox 360 itself. Feels good though to know that I now have a second or thir production run unit that might have some increased benefits of not being made back in Oct 2005.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 92 Old 07-19-2006, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Costco has the best return policy in the business. If it breaks 2 years from now, just go get a new one. Same for just about anything in their store.
post #3 of 92 Old 07-19-2006, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I wish I had a Costco....We have a Sams Club and they flat out suck....They dont even sell coffins at Sams like they do Costco...Haha, I was in a Costco before and they had them on display...I got a good laugh....I love that store.

I wish we had a Costco and a Frys they seem to be so cheap and give great warranties...
post #4 of 92 Old 07-19-2006, 09:30 AM

Being a Costco member and appreciating their policy for some time I have to chime in and say it is awesome!
post #5 of 92 Old 07-19-2006, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

What about your saves?
post #6 of 92 Old 07-19-2006, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villanman View Post

What about your saves?

Just swap harddrives.
post #7 of 92 Old 07-19-2006, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villanman View Post

What about your saves?

Saves are on Xbox live as well right?
post #8 of 92 Old 07-19-2006, 10:13 AM

I agree Costco is awesome
post #9 of 92 Old 07-19-2006, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdank View Post

Just swap harddrives.

Did he do that?
post #10 of 92 Old 07-19-2006, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanb61 View Post

No. You really think MS is going to hold gigs and gigs of info for everyone buying their console?
post #11 of 92 Old 07-19-2006, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdank View Post

No. You really think MS is going to hold gigs and gigs of info for everyone buying their console?

If i get an acheivment for beating a level in a particular game, which is stored on Xbox live, shouldn't that be the same as game save? Anyhow, this is really not a big deal for me. Currently only playing LOTR BFMII anyhow, so not worried about game saves too much. Also, I don't think costco would allow me to swap hard drives, so I would have had to buy a memory card I guess. not really worth it to me.
post #12 of 92 Old 07-19-2006, 10:31 AM

Quote:

If i get an acheivment for beating a level in a particular game, which is stored on Xbox live, shouldn't that be the same as game save? Anyhow, this is really not a big deal for me. Currently only playing LOTR BFMII anyhow, so not worried about game saves too much. Also, I don't think costco would allow me to swap hard drives, so I would have had to buy a memory card I guess. not really worth it to me.

There are 2 ways you can swap hard drives.. First talk to the manager at COSTCO, he may be very cool and let you do it (although it depends who you are getting). Next, you can go to target or walmart, buy a new hard drive, put that in the package you give back to COSTCO (keeping your old hard drive) and then take back the new hard drive to TARGEt that you get from your new package from COSTCO. This will work, because TARGET will take this item back for up to a month and it will be a new clean hard drive and they will never know the difference. I know that is a pain, but it will worik
post #13 of 92 Old 07-19-2006, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpe8598 View Post

There are 2 ways you can swap hard drives.. First talk to the manager at COSTCO, he may be very cool and let you do it (although it depends who you are getting). Next, you can go to target or walmart, buy a new hard drive, put that in the package you give back to COSTCO (keeping your old hard drive) and then take back the new hard drive to TARGEt that you get from your new package from COSTCO. This will work, because TARGET will take this item back for up to a month and it will be a new clean hard drive and they will never know the difference. I know that is a pain, but it will worik

All good ideas but like i said, it is not really and issue for me.
post #14 of 92 Old 07-19-2006, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

It would be for me, I'd hate to lose all my saves over a bad controller battery.
post #15 of 92 Old 07-19-2006, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

I think that trading up to a newer produciton run unit is worth more to me than losing games save, I didn't have that many anyhow, I play a lot online.
post #16 of 92 Old 07-19-2006, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

If Costco will give you a refund that makes things even easier. Buy a new one, swap drive, then return the old one, all in one visit.

Certainly good to discuss these types of things should these situations arise for folks around here.
post #17 of 92 Old 07-19-2006, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpe8598 View Post

Being a Costco member and appreciating their policy for some time I have to chime in and say it is awesome!

I agree, Costco is awesome. Doesn't Sam's club have a similar return policy now though?
post #18 of 92 Old 07-20-2006, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin803 View Post

I agree, Costco is awesome. Doesn't Sam's club have a similar return policy now though?

Yes if you are a member they will replace it.
post #19 of 92 Old 07-20-2006, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Dub View Post

Yes if you are a member they will replace it.

Sams doesnt offer nearly as good of a warranty neither do they give you as much time....

I have a friend who works their and he got a 360 it crapped itself on its 36th day and Sams even being an employee told him tough luck his 30 days was up...*ouch*
post #20 of 92 Old 07-20-2006, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinksjinx View Post

Sams doesnt offer nearly as good of a warranty neither do they give you as much time....

I have a friend who works their and he got a 360 it crapped itself on its 36th day and Sams even being an employee told him tough luck his 30 days was up...*ouch*

3 weeks ago I returned my launch day 360 to Sam's. At first they tried to swing it over to Microsoft, but after letting them know I had already done 2 warranty repais with MS, Sam's agreed to replace it with no further hassle. Gave me a gift card, and I bought a new one off the shelf.

BetrayThis Clan
Xbox Live Gamer Tag:
DreamKill
post #21 of 92 Old 01-13-2007, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Where does Costco ship all the Xbox 360 returns it is getting? I wonder how they make money on this product, since so many members have learned it is simpler to return the unit to Costco than wait for the Microsoft ship them a new console? Plus, Microsoft does not accept returns on controllers or hard drives that are more than 90 days old. Speaking to their customer reps on the phone is nerve-wracking too.
post #22 of 92 Old 01-14-2007, 10:44 PM
Advanced Member

well costco is refining its return policy due to abuse. so there goes that. not sure what the new agreement will be, but i think its going to be like everyone elses....30days
post #23 of 92 Old 01-15-2007, 04:07 AM

Be careful, I bought some T.Vs from costco - missing parts, damages; turned out they had taken returned T.Vs and just resold them as new so I bought THREE T.Vs that were all missing parts or were damaged.

...And then they get pissy at me for making these expensive returns... dickwads...
post #24 of 92 Old 01-15-2007, 09:24 AM

Quote:

Saved games, no. Downloaded content (except for movies) yes. Any games you've downloaded from Live Marketplace will be associated with your account so you will not have to pay for them again when you re-download them. That goes for gamer pictures, additional content, themes, games.....Everything but movies.
post #25 of 92 Old 01-15-2007, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Costco will work for you when the V2(HDMI) 360 comes out.
post #26 of 92 Old 01-15-2007, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I have both Costco and Sams memberships - we like those stores and honestly even if I saved nothing I get entertainment out of going there. Sams is a lot closer so we tend to go there more but Costco is infinitely preferable to us, everything is just that little bit better (and their new very close store will be open in 3 months). Their return policies on electronics will likely get adjusted. I talked to them about laptops a while ago and after learning their policy I asked if they had people abuse it - "oh yeah" with a shake of the head. Considering it's a membership driven store a few bad seeds will ruin it for all of us. No problem with using but a lot of people like to exploit and abuse.

Panasonic 65" VT60 (calibrated by Jeff Meier), Marantz 6005, Kef Q towers/rears Kef Reference center, Win 7 Pro with XBMC, Harmony Ultimate One
Xbox Live: Arbitrage XXL
post #27 of 92 Old 01-15-2007, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

The other day when I returned 1 item back to Costco; I noticed a sign said "return within 30 days". I asked them and they said "it is nice to return within 30 days...but it is still life time return policy...however it will change around February to a standard 30 days"

but then again; their CEO said the policy will not be changing....at least from the dailytech.com article.

I don't know who to believe now.
post #28 of 92 Old 01-15-2007, 02:49 PM

If Costco changes their return policy. I'll be sitting there the day before they change it with about 10 grand worth of merchandise to return and closing my account. Half the reason they are such a great place is because of their customer service. Take the commitment to their satisfaction garauntee out of the picture and they are nothing.

In all honesty their deals really are not that good. Half the time I actually pay more for an item at Costco just because of the piece of mind should something happen to that product.

I for one do not like to abuse the policy however if something I buy ends up not working as I expected I will be right there with my return.

I have heard this ugly rumor and I have asked them at the store. I haven't heard that this is true.

I know for a fact they changed two policies PC's which has been for some time and recently their cell phones.

I really think they'd take a beating if they changed their policies.
post #29 of 92 Old 01-15-2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago77 View Post

If Costco changes their return policy. I'll be sitting there the day before they change it with about 10 grand worth of merchandise to return and closing my account. Half the reason they are such a great place is because of their customer service. Take the commitment to their satisfaction garauntee out of the picture and they are nothing.

I for one do not like to abuse the policy however if something I buy ends up not working as I expected I will be right there with my return.

I think returning $10,000 of stuff because you can't rely upon them for a free, infinite warranty on all of it would be "abusing" the policy.
post #30 of 92 Old 01-15-2007, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

What is the return policy on those coffins? 30 days just barely breaks it in.
Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page