VGA cable washed out compared to component - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 71 Old 12-26-2006, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just got back with a vga cable and set it to the resolution closest to my lcd hdtvs native resolution (1360x768) and it looks all washed out. the colors arent as vibrant as the components and I dont even see a difference in quality.

thinking about taking them back tomorrow...todays crazy for christmas returns.

do I need to calibrate the tv or something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 Old 12-26-2006, 03:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
yes you do
post #3 of 71 Old 12-26-2006, 03:18 AM

You always need to calibrate when you change just about anything, especially a major switch of inputs.
post #4 of 71 Old 12-26-2006, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't know about you but on my TV, VGA is supreme to my component. But that's after tickering with the picture, brightness, color temp, and going into service menu and optimizing the grayscale.

Say Wha Wha....
post #5 of 71 Old 12-26-2006, 02:46 PM

When i first switched from component to vga, i was extremely unimpressed. However, after calibrating my Westinghouse LVM37W3 (lowering the brightness to around 43, contrast and saturation up to around 60) and a few other minor tweaks, it now looks MUCH better than component.

took a bit to get used to switching from an incredibly over-saturated/over bright picture
to a more cinematic one, but boooy I sure don't regret it a bit!

another plus is the dvd upscaling!
post #6 of 71 Old 12-26-2006, 07:25 PM

Just increase your color
post #7 of 71 Old 12-26-2006, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFX View Post

Just increase your color

What's interesting is on my Panny 9UK, the VGA port does not give the option for color/tint...
post #8 of 71 Old 12-26-2006, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg17 View Post

What's interesting is on my Panny 9UK, the VGA port does not give the option for color/tint...

Same with my tv but what you do is go to your tv settings and change it from there.
post #9 of 71 Old 12-26-2006, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Same with my tv but what you do is go to your tv settings and change it from there.

What do you mean "go to your tv settings"?
post #10 of 71 Old 12-26-2006, 10:07 PM

Quote:

What do you mean "go to your tv settings"?

You know how your on a different source when your using vga. You can change the settings when your watching tv. For me its called "Air"
post #11 of 71 Old 12-26-2006, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You know how your on a different source when your using vga. You can change the settings when your watching tv. For me its called "Air"

Each source for me has different settings...changing it over HDMI (my tv source) does not affect VGA...
post #12 of 71 Old 12-27-2006, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I've done as much calibrating as I possibly can, but on my Bravia KLV-S26A10, I simply cannot tweak the picture enough (a few settings I need to tweak are grayed out on VGA) to make VGA get on par with Component, for detail and color accuracy. The picture is still washed out and HD DVD movies lack the detail I see on Component. I am close to giving up.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Carl Sagan (1980)

post #13 of 71 Old 12-27-2006, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

I was thinking about getting the HD-DVD add on but I dont want to use the VGA cable for 1080p output since my TV (Samsung LN-S4695D) is horrible in PQ with VGA. From what I've read here in AVSforums, all Samsung TVs give horrible PQ with VGA for xbox 360. I just going to get the Toshiba HD-A2 for HD movies.

Gamertag: BaneAssassin
PSN: BaneAssassin
post #14 of 71 Old 12-27-2006, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Where on this forum have you been reading this about Samsung sets? You just need to calibrate your set. Also I do not play in game mode which tends to have washed out settings. A higher percentage of people on AVS love VGA on their Samsung set. You seem to be spreading incorrect information.
post #15 of 71 Old 12-27-2006, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post

I was thinking about getting the HD-DVD add on but I dont want to use the VGA cable for 1080p output since my TV (Samsung LN-S4695D) is horrible in PQ with VGA. From what I've read here in AVSforums, all Samsung TVs give horrible PQ with VGA for xbox 360. I just going to get the Toshiba HD-A2 for HD movies.

Those people dont realize that you can change the color settings on there tv. I have Samsung and all you have to do is change your source to television and you can change it from there! It looks sooo much better now! As vibrant as componet.
post #16 of 71 Old 12-27-2006, 09:24 AM

Quote:

Each source for me has different settings...changing it over HDMI (my tv source) does not affect VGA...

So you have more than one cable connected to your tv? Hmmmm The only thing I can think of is disconnect your HDMI cable and than change your VGA settings.
post #17 of 71 Old 12-27-2006, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Management View Post

Where on this forum have you been reading this about Samsung sets? You just need to calibrate your set. Also I do not play in game mode which tends to have washed out settings. A higher percentage of people on AVS love VGA on their Samsung set. You seem to be spreading incorrect information.

If I was trying to convince someone/anyone here on the forums then yes, I would be spreading incorrect information BUT I was merely stating what I have read in here said threads.....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=722482
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=661538

I'll have to reconsider the VGA cable thanks to you guys now. I do hope I get good results.

post #18 of 71 Old 12-27-2006, 12:13 PM

Quote:

Those people dont realize that you can change the color settings on there tv. I have Samsung and all you have to do is change your source to television and you can change it from there! It looks sooo much better now! As vibrant as componet.

I have a Samsung LN-S4696D and get the same washed out colours I've been reading about using the VGA cable. Wouldn't bumping up the colours on the TV source affect all other inputs? I'm going to give this a try tonight and have my fingers crossed this will improve the PQ from VGA.
post #19 of 71 Old 12-27-2006, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Management View Post

This is incorrect.

Many LCD Samsungs do not correctly handle the signal output from the 360 over VGA. The 360 sends a video signal, the Samsung looks for a PC/Text signal. Do some searching and you will find the color ranges are incompatible, resulting in a washed out image. Calibration can compensate to a degree, but in my case, it is still way off. The TV needs a firmware update to truly fix the VGA problem.

But an HDMI solution from MSFT would be much better.
post #20 of 71 Old 12-27-2006, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by svelteboy View Post

I have a Samsung LN-S4696D and get the same washed out colours I've been reading about using the VGA cable. Wouldn't bumping up the colours on the TV source affect all other inputs? I'm going to give this a try tonight and have my fingers crossed this will improve the PQ from VGA.

Lets us know if it works!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMacMan View Post

This is incorrect.

Many LCD Samsungs do not correctly handle the signal output from the 360 over VGA. The 360 sends a video signal, the Samsung looks for a PC/Text signal. Do some searching and you will find the color ranges are incompatible, resulting in a washed out image. Calibration can compensate to a degree, but in my case, it is still way off. The TV needs a firmware update to truly fix the VGA problem.

But an HDMI solution from MSFT would be much better.

Thats what I thought I had read. Thanks for your input. MS could do us all a tremendous favor by providing a HDMI plug for sure!

post #21 of 71 Old 12-28-2006, 08:26 AM

Quote:

Lets us know if it works!!

Since the colours cannot be changed from the PC input, I just selected another source (e.g. Component 1) and bump up the colour on the "Custom" setting. With the increase in colours, the VGA input is definitely improved but to me, it still looked a little washed out and blurred. I tried changing the contrast, brightness and sharpness, but still couldn't mimic the vivid colours from the component input. A side note, I couldn't use the Custom setting for anything besides the PC input because the colours were too oversaturated.

I played my King Kong HD DVD and noticed the PQ was "flat", unlike the depth and sharpness the component input provided. Even though VGA was at 1080p, I still preferred the 1080i over component. I then tried playing NHL 2K7 and noticed the ice wasn't a true white over VGA. I tried adjusting the settings but couldn't get the bright white I could with component. I know some people really don't like the oversaturated and bright colours of component, but to my eyes I prefer this look in games and movies.
post #22 of 71 Old 12-29-2006, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Since the colours cannot be changed from the PC input, I just selected another source (e.g. Component 1) and bump up the colour on the "Custom" setting. With the increase in colours, the VGA input is definitely improved but to me, it still looked a little washed out and blurred. I tried changing the contrast, brightness and sharpness, but still couldn't mimic the vivid colours from the component input. A side note, I couldn't use the Custom setting for anything besides the PC input because the colours were too oversaturated.

I played my King Kong HD DVD and noticed the PQ was "flat", unlike the depth and sharpness the component input provided. Even though VGA was at 1080p, I still preferred the 1080i over component. I then tried playing NHL 2K7 and noticed the ice wasn't a true white over VGA. I tried adjusting the settings but couldn't get the bright white I could with component. I know some people really don't like the oversaturated and bright colours of component, but to my eyes I prefer this look in games and movies.

Thank you! I see now no need for a VGA cable. I'm completely content with the component cables. I guess what I had read was true after all

post #23 of 71 Old 12-29-2006, 11:46 AM

Quote:

For the record I dont watch tv on my Samsung so changing the settings on the tv source doesnt affect me. But no it just changes whatever settings you decide to put it on like dynamic, standard, movie, custom.
post #24 of 71 Old 12-29-2006, 11:47 AM

Quote:

Thank you! I see now no need for a VGA cable. I'm completely content with the component cables. I guess what I had read was true after all

Your lost!
post #25 of 71 Old 12-29-2006, 12:10 PM

Quote:

Bear in mind also that your 1080p tv will automatically upconvert all non-native 1080p sources to 1080p.
post #26 of 71 Old 12-30-2006, 06:17 PM

I have a plasma Samsung TV, 42", and I have this same problem. I see more detail, but the image is washed out. I can only adjust for Contrast and Brightness and everything else is greyed out. I assume it's because the TV assumes you can adjust that on the computer's end since the VGA input is dubbed "PC" input. Is there any way to bypass the greyed out areas and use 'em anyway? If I could just get to those settings, everything would be fine. I hate that they grey those options out.

I think if MS had an update where you can adjust color and stuff from the Xbox 360's dashboard, I think it could fix this issue. Anyone know if an update like that is coming? I also love that I can upscale my DVDs, but I just hate that the image is washed out. The higher resolution does help with making text smaller and sharper, but I HATE the washed out look. Anyone know if there's a work around? I'd greatly appreciate it.
post #27 of 71 Old 12-30-2006, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlybadfly View Post

When i first switched from component to vga, i was extremely unimpressed. However, after calibrating my Westinghouse LVM37W3 (lowering the brightness to around 43, contrast and saturation up to around 60) and a few other minor tweaks, it now looks MUCH better than component.

took a bit to get used to switching from an incredibly over-saturated/over bright picture
to a more cinematic one, but boooy I sure don't regret it a bit!

another plus is the dvd upscaling!

question ive heard that you can upscale dvds like you said but is there really any notable difference between 480p and 1080i or 720p? ive read some things to not expect so much difference with the gva cable
post #28 of 71 Old 12-31-2006, 01:20 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiskoKid View Post

I have a plasma Samsung TV, 42", and I have this same problem. I see more detail, but the image is washed out. I can only adjust for Contrast and Brightness and everything else is greyed out. I assume it's because the TV assumes you can adjust that on the computer's end since the VGA input is dubbed "PC" input. Is there any way to bypass the greyed out areas and use 'em anyway? If I could just get to those settings, everything would be fine. I hate that they grey those options out.

Yes, you can still change the 'greyed out' settings on a Sammy, at least on my LN-S4051D LCD. Just change the input source to one that allows you to change all of the settings (DTV for example). Select the same settings mode that you use for VGA (Dynamic, Custom, Standard, or Movie). Change whatever you want, then go back to VGA. Your changes will still be intact, you just can't change them while VGA is the source.

I really don't understand why it was engineered this way, but I tested it by changing the Color to 0, then went back to VGA and the picture was B&W.
post #29 of 71 Old 12-31-2006, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffChap View Post

Yes, you can still change the 'greyed out' settings on a Sammy, at least on my LN-S4051D LCD. Just change the input source to one that allows you to change all of the settings (DTV for example). Select the same settings mode that you use for VGA (Dynamic, Custom, Standard, or Movie). Change whatever you want, then go back to VGA. Your changes will still be intact, you just can't change them while VGA is the source.

I really don't understand why it was engineered this way, but I tested it by changing the Color to 0, then went back to VGA and the picture was B&W.

Each source has its own color settings. If I change something in my TV source, it doesn't change anything in my HDMI, PC, Component 1 or Component 2 sources. If I change the TV stuff, it just changes the TV source. Is there a way to bypass this? Is there something you're doing that I'm not following? I can make a custom color scheme which I have, and that's helped the color issue a lot, but I still would like to up the sharpness just a tad and a little bit of the tint and color aspects.
post #30 of 71 Old 01-01-2007, 11:29 AM

Liked: 11
I don't know what model Samsung you have, so it may work differently than mine. But on mine, if I make changes to the Movie mode while using DTV as the input, when I switch back to PC as the input, also using Movie mode, the changes I made are still in effect.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page