Connect 2 TV's to one XBox 360? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-29-2006, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd like to try to connect two tv's to one xbox 360 but not sure how. I have my 42" plasma in my living room and in an adjoining room, I have a 32" LCD that I have my computer hooked up to. Currently, my 360 is hooked up to my plasma thru component. My computer is hooked up to the lcd using VGA. 360 is hooked by ethernet to computer and streams music and vids and also provides connection to XBox Live. So good so far?

Inputs available on plasma are HDMI, component, and vga (plus composite and s-video). Inputs available on LCD are HDMI, component, and VGA (plus the aforementioned s video and composite). As noted, I have the XBOX 360 component cables and another set of just plain old component cables. (I also have my old Monster component cables from the original xbox, but I have no idea if that would work or be of help to anyone with my problem).

AS I can find no splitter for the XBox connection out of the back to the 360, I would need to find a way to split the components, I suppose. I am trying to do this in the cleanest way with the fewest number of connections. My thought was to split the signal at the end of the component cables and have one end go into the plasma and the other end to connect to that spare set of component cables and plug that into the lcd. Or should I use VEGA and buy those cables and splitters, if they are even out there?

I'd like to do this as economically as possible. Why am I doing this? Because it would be nice to be able to play Xbox in either living room (plasma) or spare room (lcd). The 360 wireless controllers have plenty of range for my set-up. Advice, please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-30-2006, 12:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
it will not work. i did the same thing at first, bought splitters. ended up purchasing something called a component matrix switcher which had like 4 component ins and 2 outs. the product was only like 120 dollars, and seemed to work with short cables, but i was trying to run 75 feet up to the third level. kept getting scrolling bars which made it unplayable. i sent it back but other products in the 300 range seem to better constructed with higher bandwith for hd.

on the other hand you could use the yellow composite cable, run that to the other tv, disable the hd switch on the back and voila, standard def on both tvs. i dont think any of us would do that but it does work
post #3 of 11 Old 12-30-2006, 12:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
forgot to mention the audio will output 5.1 through the optical and 2ch through the red/white analogs.

since i wired a 5 wire component through the wall, i just unplug/plug in the components real quick and i have video upstairs. I actually never hook video up but i can stream music throughout my house on my upstairs surround also. nice for parties and when your cleaning the house
post #4 of 11 Old 12-30-2006, 03:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Just get a 2nd 360 and problem solved.

The 5.0 is here
post #5 of 11 Old 12-30-2006, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

Just get a 2nd 360 and problem solved.

2007 Chrysler 300C(HEMI) Inferno Red
Will be delivered 20 Feb 2007
22's here I come
Already have the Sony 60" XBR1 picking up a 70" XBR2. I love being a father.

You should of ordered the 300C SRT8(big hemi)
post #6 of 11 Old 12-30-2006, 06:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtr0id View Post

22's here I come

He's right.

Hey I spent some time at Balad. I'd tell you what I did down there, but I'm a little worried about OPSEC. Be safe over there.

As for the OP, forget it unless you try the annoying HD/SD switch. You could buy amplifiers to help boost the signal but it may wind up being more costly than you want to spend.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-02-2007, 05:59 AM

Video Storm CSM42 - awesome!! I've got xbox, PS3, 360 & tivo going to a projector and a 42" CRT with optical audio. With this piece, you can watch any combination on either or both displays at the same time. It also has a built in amplifier to allow for 150' runs. I've got a 100' component and it works great.

I held off buying this for a while because of the price (>$200), but I can now play all my game on either display without having to buy separate consoles or worry about which console has my last game save. I wish I bought it sooner.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-02-2007, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtr0id View Post

22's here I come

I would have but not concerned about racing anyone on the streets. I am a single parent with a son and daugther back home. I take them to school, I go to work and the gym and pick them up and go home. Plus got it through the AAFES program at a great price being able to build to my own specs. Plus I did get the BIG HEMI 340 HP is just fine with me. Your talking about the BIGGER HEMI

The 5.0 is here
post #9 of 11 Old 01-03-2007, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Okay, here's what I did. Got some simple rca splitters from radio shack (5 sets of one rca male to two rca female). Hooked rca male to tv inputs. I now have two rca females per "input" (red, green, etc.). Hooked one to XBox 360 component cable which is hooked to XBox. Hooked other to another set of component cables I had (ten foot length) which I hooked to another set.

From what I can tell, it works great!! No noticeable signal loss. I haven't measured it with any instruments or anything, but picture looks great on either set (42" Panny HD plasma and 32" Element aka Polaroid HD LCD). And the range on the wireless controlers is such that I can use the XBox in either room!
post #10 of 11 Old 01-03-2007, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD MC View Post

it will not work. i did the same thing at first, bought splitters. ended up purchasing something called a component matrix switcher which had like 4 component ins and 2 outs. the product was only like 120 dollars, and seemed to work with short cables, but i was trying to run 75 feet up to the third level. kept getting scrolling bars which made it unplayable. i sent it back but other products in the 300 range seem to better constructed with higher bandwith for hd.

on the other hand you could use the yellow composite cable, run that to the other tv, disable the hd switch on the back and voila, standard def on both tvs. i dont think any of us would do that but it does work

I get very minor scrolling bars on my setup (with a second 50' cable run). Used a cheap RS switch box (actuall mechanical) to run my 360 to the second room (vs. into our scaler for our HT). The scrolling bars are not very visible, but they are there... What are these caused by? Thanks. SJ
post #11 of 11 Old 01-03-2007, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

You'll want a commponet video distrbution amplifier. It has 1 input and 2-8 outs. Its powered as well so intefernce should be minnimul.

Many stores such as wallmart use these to power their entire wall of HD set. Often times dasiy chaining sevral together.

So I'd geuss if you looked around you might find some industral models used for fairly cheep. Most are high bandwith as well and should handle xbox just fine.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page