The second Xbox 360 revealed: (includes HDMI) - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #331 of 353 Old 01-06-2007, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am willing to guess this new console will come out shortly before the release of Halo 3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 353 Old 01-06-2007, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 51
Quote:

wireless cards going for $99.

Holy sh!t!!! I had no idea MS was getting that much. Shoot I can upgrade my desk top to wireless for $40, and thats not even looking for a bargain.

No big deal for me since when I get DSL in a couple weeks, I plan on putting the router in the basement where my dedicated HT is and where I game, and upgrading my desk top to wireless.

PSN: UndeadREDD

My Racing Seat

post #333 of 353 Old 01-06-2007, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhferry View Post

If this move was a year from now I wouldnt have as much of an issue with it but MS did lie and said the current 360 did output digital and they would ADD an HDMI cable If there was a demand. They didnt say add it on to a replacement. If there is an upgrade path of some kind as well I will be fine with it.

As far as I know Microsoft has not said a word about the new console. Nor did they say anything for you to think they lied about being able to provide HDMI ouput on the current consoles.

Just because they are releasing a console with an integrated HDMI port does not mean they will not relese a HDMI cable for current systems.

XBL/PSN: wirechild
post #334 of 353 Old 01-06-2007, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
wrong quote
post #335 of 353 Old 01-06-2007, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg17 View Post

So you have HDMI on your HT receiver? Are there reasonably priced ones with this feature?

Yeah, Onkyo TXSR604 is reasonably priced for what you get. HDMI switching, 5.1 Linear PCM. Component upconversion. About $365-400
post #336 of 353 Old 01-06-2007, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
I would be very happy to see a version 2 xBox 360 if:
1. The machine is quiter much quiter, fan noise redused, and less DVD drive noise
2. Upgrade DVD drive to HD-DVD
3. HDMI interface
post #337 of 353 Old 01-06-2007, 10:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The DVD-Drive is what makes all the noise in the 360, not the "loud fans". My 360 is silent when not playing a game. That DVD-ROM driver sounds like a g-damn jet airplane taking off when running a game. Does this update address that?
post #338 of 353 Old 01-06-2007, 11:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectCr View Post

The DVD-Drive is what makes all the noise in the 360, not the "loud fans". My 360 is silent when not playing a game. That DVD-ROM driver sounds like a g-damn jet airplane taking off when running a game. Does this update address that?

That's wierd, everyone keeps saying that their 360 is silent when not using the dvd drive. Mine is about twice as loud as my pc when not using the DVD drive!
post #339 of 353 Old 01-06-2007, 11:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirechild73 View Post

As far as I know Microsoft has not said a word about the new console. Nor did they say anything for you to think they lied about being able to provide HDMI ouput on the current consoles.

Just because they are releasing a console with an integrated HDMI port does not mean they will not relese a HDMI cable for current systems.

Well If thats the case then you are right, If not here is one place I read it:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/735/735860p1.html
post #340 of 353 Old 01-06-2007, 11:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I have a 360 and I think this stinks however why any 360 owner would want the PS3 to fail is beyond me. What do you think MS will pull If they are the only ones out there. These are the same people who charge $99 for a wireless card and 20 GB hard drive. I mean cmon, I love my 360 but competition is great.

I couldn't agree with you more about competition being great. I don't understand why everyone treats this 360 vs PS3 like either you are with us or against us. Act with some honor and stop making personal attacks.
post #341 of 353 Old 01-06-2007, 11:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirechild73 View Post

If you look on xbox-scene.com 's main page, you'll see they have more pictures of this zephyr (and I trust them to provide accurate news).

If you look at one of them, there is a new scaler chip, named "Hana", most likely a new digital scaler. The old one is named "Ana". This leads us to the conclusion that digital video is not possible with "Ana" (because it's an analog only chip, it had to be replaced by the new "Hana") so "true" HDMI wouldn't be possible on the old generation consoles without some sort of hardware modification.

They could always release some sort of little converter box, but you'd get the same quality as VGA. There wouldn't be any point for most people.
post #342 of 353 Old 01-07-2007, 01:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:

I have a 360 and I think this stinks however why any 360 owner would want the PS3 to fail is beyond me. What do you think MS will pull If they are the only ones out there. These are the same people who charge $99 for a wireless card and 20 GB hard drive. I mean cmon, I love my 360 but competition is great.

If this move was a year from now I wouldnt have as much of an issue with it but MS did lie and said the current 360 did output digital and they would ADD an HDMI cable If there was a demand. They didnt say add it on to a replacement. If there is an upgrade path of some kind as well I will be fine with it.

Yet they have sold over 10million consoles to date now so what does it matter. People are obviously buying the system. No one needs to feel cheated. The thing about the PS3 is I want it but MS keeps getting me a reason to stop putting my money towards the system and Sony continues to lose it exclusives that every other day gives me a new reason to hold out on a PS3. I would think Sony would want my money sooner then later and that seems to be on alot of others mind is why should I invest now vs later which isn't good for Sony.

The 5.0 is here
post #343 of 353 Old 01-07-2007, 01:52 AM
Advanced Member

Would it not be smart for Microsoft if they did a price drop first? For instance, first Microsoft should drop the price of the $400 dollar Xbox 360 to $350. Then 2 months or so later Microsoft should release the upgraded Xbox for $450.

Might people feel less shafted ? LOL
post #344 of 353 Old 01-07-2007, 04:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon72 View Post

That's wierd, everyone keeps saying that their 360 is silent when not using the dvd drive. Mine is about twice as loud as my pc when not using the DVD drive!

When watching a MOVIE it is silent (mine is, manufactured May 2006), when playing GAMES the drive is loud. You DO know that the noise you hear when playing a game is the DVD Drive spinning, and not fans, right?
post #345 of 353 Old 01-07-2007, 05:16 AM

my wife WAS RIGHT. When I pulled the xbox out of the box and told her how much i paid for it she said in 3 weeks they will have some new that you have to buy fo it. If this thing is for real, how long befor the 360s are phased out, in otherwords should i start saving for a new system (i just got this one last week)
post #346 of 353 Old 01-07-2007, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 429
Then take it back wait for the OFFICIAL announcement problem solved. Nothing should be surprising here. The 360 has been out for 13 months now. It is an option you got 30 days so plenty of time to take it back or keep it.

The 5.0 is here
post #347 of 353 Old 01-07-2007, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

What time, and where will this all be resolved today? Isn't Bill making the announcements today?
post #348 of 353 Old 01-07-2007, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr D View Post

I am willing to guess this new console will come out shortly before the release of Halo 3.

If this console is true, it will be out VERY soon. Otherwise, it will KILL XBOX 360 sales until it's release.
post #349 of 353 Old 01-07-2007, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Mapstone View Post

Exactly, which makes me wonder what is up Sony's sleeve. Sony still has more game storage capacity, but they will still need to counter with something else. Competition is great for the consumer!

P.S. Please dont try to tell me that BD is not important in games. No need to rehash that, in that there will always be 2 different opinions on that one. But it still remains a selling point, whether you agree or not.

Well,at this point in time,I'd say 360 is playing catch-up to PS3 in terms of offering features like 1080p and HDMI.At some point,Sony will have to do something big to counter microsoft's moves.

As far as Blueray,I've never said it's not important for games.It's only valuable if developers take advantage of it,which I don't think they 'really' will for a while.But they will eventually,I have little doubt.That will always be PS3's big advantage,having the storage space advantage for possibly larger games down the road.

In terms of BR playback,that's only seen as an asset as long as this format war continues.If blueray loses on the movie front,that's one less feature Sony can throw around to entice people.If Blueray wins,it's the steal of the century getting a blueray player and game player for 5-600 dollars.Too early to predict either way.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #350 of 353 Old 01-07-2007, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjensen View Post

If this console is true, it will be out VERY soon. Otherwise, it will KILL XBOX 360 sales until it's release.

Yeah I agree.Who RIGHT NOW would buy an 360 if they know a revised console is in the works this year??

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #351 of 353 Old 01-07-2007, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

In terms of BR playback,that's only seen as an asset as long as this format war continues.If blueray loses on the movie front,that's one less feature Sony can throw around to entice people.If Blueray wins,it's the steal of the century getting a blueray player and game player for 5-600 dollars.Too early to predict either way.

By the time the winner is determined, High Definition disc players will be much cheaper than $500 to $600. I don't consider any movie player priced at $500 to be a "steal". At least the HD-DVD guys understand that price matters.

Josh - GamerTag: ShapeGSX PSN: ShapeGSX
'97 Eclipse GSX - 11.825@117.55mph in the 1/4
post #352 of 353 Old 01-07-2007, 05:53 AM
Nox
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastxbr960 View Post

The best solution for storage would be to let users buy there own usb2 drive and USB GB sticks and remove retrictions so they can store their paid for downloads, video and games on them, of course this would not work with the currental rental model where it gets erased, but they can make it work if they try.

I agree with this. I would be buying movies/programs all the time if I could keep them. Watching them once and having them delete themelves is not appealing to me; which is why I bought into the HD-DVD drive. HD-DVD disks I will have forever.

-David
post #353 of 353 Old 01-07-2007, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Wait for something official.

Closed

"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."

Ash - Army of Darkness
Closed Thread Xbox Area