AVS Forum banner

If your happy with VGA on your set, clap your hands.

10K views 123 replies 99 participants last post by  xwinkx 
#1 ·
I've sifted through a lot of random threads regarding the 360 hooked up via VGA vs component so I thought we could sound of here if your VERY HAPPY with YOUR set using VGA. I have my 360 hooked up to my 32 inch Vizio (Last years model), and prefer the VGA over component. The reason? Less ghosting for sure, and the overscan via component was TERRIBLE. I did a side by side comparison of many games and the component cut off a LOT of screen on a lot of games.

Granted, the VGA does have slightly less vibrant colors as the component, but the VGA does make games look a tad bit punchier and crisper. Once in a while, I switch a game to component and while I do enjoy a little more vibrancy in the color on some games, the clarity and punch is better on VGA. And the overscan is just terrible via component. Also of interest is many Vizio models will crop off a 1/4 of the left screen if you run VGA via 1366x768. So the best resolution to my eyes via VGA is 1280x720. Overall, I'm much more pleased with VGA and my 360. The new update a few weeks ago didn't seem to change any of the supposed "washed out look" many report. My colors via VGA look the same to me. Even after my limited ability to calibrate settings on this particular set, the colors via VGA are not as saturated as component. The closest I can get to component colors is setting the color temperature to the preset 6500 k But my eyes have adjusted.

So, here's your chance to help the community. Tell us your T.V. and model, and tell us why you feel your VGA settings are better than component in your experiences.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sanyo Z3. Full color adjustments under VGA. Took about an hour to get everything perfect, ok maybe 2.

Its a crisper picture than component, especially due to the red push via component on Z3's that is tough to compensate for.

#9 ·
*clap* *clap*... for the VGA performance I got out of my Vizio 42" plasma while I had it. It truly did make a difference in sharpness, and the upscaling of SD DVD's done by the XBox was commendable. I wish the JVC 56FC97 that I exchanged the Viz for had a VGA port, but such was not the case.

Mukdweller's comment about selecting the 1280 x 720 res is spot on... that worked like a champ with my Vizio. BTW, I had to exchange the Vizio after it developed a stuck pixel right in the middle of the screen. Costco gave me a store credit for it, which I used to help cover the cost of the 56FC97. I was happy with the Viz, but the 42" screen size was way too small for my living room. I'm happy with the 56" size of the JVC, which does a good job of upscaling and deinterlacing itself.

#10 ·
Sammsung HLR 4667W 720 set...

Just invested in the VGA this past weekend, Not much chance to tweak, but I put in LOTR as soon as I hooked up the cable, set the XBOX to 720 and WOW!!! I have not seen any upconverted DVD's until now, but if that's what they look like, I will be very VERY happy.

Checked the opening sequence "Balrog Scene", and after I picked up my jaw, moved on to "The Battle of Hornbug".

I had to make minor tweaks to the color, but the picture is every bit as good as the OTA signals I am receiving.

Games look the same, but then they always have transmitted the game in 720 over component.

#11 ·
VGA looks a little sharper than component on my Samsung LN-S3292D LCD running @ 1360x768. The black levels don't seem to be as deep as they are with component though... especially in NBA2K7, which for some reason has noticeably lower contrast on my TV with VGA than it does with component. Maybe my TV only accepts PC levels over the VGA input and not video levels. Not sure. All I know is that I have to set the brightness way down (to about 20 or so) to get suitable black levels with the 360 at VGA while it's fine at 40-50 with component.

#12 ·
Great comments so far everyone!! The reason for this thread is to help some of those who want to buy a new set and should be considering how VGA looks on the set before they buy. I know some have said there VGA just can't compete with component so all your posts are a great help!!

#14 ·
Works great with my panny 50HD7UY. It was even a 'free' input that you are stuck with out of the box, so much the better.

I wish I could run NR with the xbox, but 1360x768 scaled to leave 3 pixels black on either side is pretty close from what I can tell with test patterns displayed to the 360, so no worries for me. It also expects RGB (can switch to YPbPr too but no reason to) so it's all good from a calibration standpoint. And I don' t have to worry about scaling 1080i in the TV (not that it does a horrible job, but just that I'd rather have the Xbox keep the progressive signal intact and do the scaling in the output buffer.

#17 ·
Another Samsung HL-S5086W owner here (just bought it a couple days ago), and I'm more than happy with it. Absolutely breath-taking.

KJ

#19 ·
Sony VPL-HS20 projector - VGA 1280 x 720 ... Everything looks pretty good .. just can't get full screen ... native is 1368 x 768 Really like DVD upverts and HD-DVD

Tried on my 26" Olevia also and plays full 1368 x 768 ... with the small screen at that rez .. it really makes DVD upverts look great.

#22 ·

I love it. The colors are more natural, clarity is improved.

I have a 4805 and a Westinghouse 32w6

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by F355FTS /forum/post/0

HLS6187 Sammy. VGA is literally worth its weight in gold.

Samsung HSL5687W here and this guy took the words right out of my mouth. Consider my hands clapping...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.