How to fix Media Sharing issues between your PC and XBox 360 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 45 Old 02-08-2007, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I'm posting this as a guide to fix media sharing issues between a PC running Windows Media Player 11 (WMP11) and an XBox 360.

The reason I am posting this is that questions about sharing media between a PC and the XBox 360 pop up on a semi-daily basis!

I'll set it up as a FAQ. Please post follow up questions in this thread. As new problems and solutions arise, I will try to summarize the solution in the first posts in the thread.

Before I even get started, there is an excellent Windows Media Player 11 Sharing FAQ. Lots of answers are in this FAQ, and I will probably end up referring to it.

Q: Do I need the Zune software installed in order to share media between my PC and my XBox 360?

A: No! This is a common misconception that is brought about by a rather confusing media sharing web page on the XBox web site. It is possible that the page was set up this way because the Zune software (which is really just a wrapper around WMP11) is made by a group that is in the same division as the XBox group. All you need to share media between a PC and an XBox 360 is Windows Media Player 11.

Q: Do I need Windows Media Connect?

A: Not anymore! Windows Media Connect functionality was absorbed into Windows Media Player 11.

Q: How do I set up Windows Media Player 11 to share media with my XBox 360?

A:
Step 1: Turn on your XBox 360.
Step 2: Start up Windows Media Player 11.
Step 3: Right click in the border around WMP11 to bring up the menu.
Step 4: Select Tools->Options... An options window should pop up.
Step 5: Select the Library tab.
Step 6: Select the "Configure Sharing" button. A Media Sharing window should pop up.
Step 7: Select "Share my media". The XBox should appear in a box below the sharing checkmark widget.
Step 8: Select the XBox 360 and click "Allow."
Step 9: Select "OK"

You can also select the type of media to share by clicking on the Settings button in that same "share my media" window. There are lots of options there.

Q: How do I play my shared media on my XBox?

A: I don't have my XBox in front of me right now, so I'll fill this in tonight.

Q: Why isn't it working?

A: Here are some common issues.

First make sure that the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service is started. This was the service that kept me from sharing my media. For some reason, the service was stopped on my computer.

1. Log on to your computer as an administrator.
2. Click Start, and then click Run.
3. In the Run box, type services.msc.
4. In Services, find "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service", and then verify that the Status column indicates Started.
5. If the service is stopped, double click on the service. A window should pop up.
6. In that window, ensure that the startup type is "Automatic."
7. Click on the Start button in that window to start up the service.
8. Close the services windows and see if you can view your media on the XBox.

Services that must be started:
SSDP Discovery - Must be started before the other two
UPnP Device Host
Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service

Problems with DRM files.

If you upgrade your computer's processor or hard drive or some other hardware components, your DRM files may no longer be valid.

I currently use Vista.

I was getting an error in the event logs:
A new media server was not initialized because WMCreateDeviceRegistration()
encountered error '0xc00d2751'. The Windows Media DRM components on your
computer might be corrupted. Verify that protected files play correctly in
Windows Media Player, and then restart the WMPNetworkSvc service.

Go into the registry editor (regedit.exe), and look at this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\DRM

In there, there will be a "Datapath" variable. Double click it. The Value Data will show you where the DRM files live.

Mine lived at C:\\ProgramData\\Microsoft\\Windows\\DRM .

Trouble is that the files in there are hidden. So go up to "Organize" and select Folder and Search Options. Click on the view Tab. Then select Show hidden files and folders. Then you simply select everything in there and delete it.

Then you can go back to the Control Panel/Administrator Tools/Services and restart the "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service". Or just reboot.

After that, sharing is fixed.

Josh - GamerTag: ShapeGSX PSN: ShapeGSX
'97 Eclipse GSX - 11.825@117.55mph in the 1/4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 02-08-2007, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This post left intentionally blank.

post #3 of 45 Old 02-08-2007, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This post also left intentionally blank.

post #4 of 45 Old 02-26-2007, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I tried this step and indeed the service was stopped. However when I do this I get the following error...

Could not start the Windows Media Player Network Sharing service on local computer
Error 1008: An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist.

Any idea what this is and more importantly... how do I fix it?

Just call me the cheap AVS nooob!
post #5 of 45 Old 02-27-2007, 06:03 AM

post #6 of 45 Old 04-07-2007, 11:44 PM

When trying to play videos I'm getting the message "Disk Error. A temporary problem occured when Media Center attempted to play TV. Please restart media center and/or computer and then try again."

Suggestions?
post #7 of 45 Old 04-08-2007, 12:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I have a lot of problems connecting my 360 with my Vista PC (Vista is total junk, btw, I would not recommend getting it until at least the first service pack has been released). I had both my PC and 360 connected to a router via cables, so I know it's not a wireless thing. Basically if I'm able to get anything to play, the connection gets disconnected within a couple of minutes, and I have to restart everything. Also the 360 won't play Divx, MPEG-2 in HD, or even some WMV files, which is really weird. Considering one of the big selling points for Vista for me was the Xbox 360 connectivity, I have to say it's been a huge letdown. It's actually much easier for me to just hook up my laptop to my PJ via VGA and to my receiver via RCA audio cables than to do the 360 thing. Also much more inconvenient, but at least it works.
post #8 of 45 Old 04-08-2007, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyaDawn View Post

I have a lot of problems connecting my 360 with my Vista PC (Vista is total junk, btw, I would not recommend getting it until at least the first service pack has been released). I had both my PC and 360 connected to a router via cables, so I know it's not a wireless thing. Basically if I'm able to get anything to play, the connection gets disconnected within a couple of minutes, and I have to restart everything. Also the 360 won't play Divx, MPEG-2 in HD, or even some WMV files, which is really weird. Considering one of the big selling points for Vista for me was the Xbox 360 connectivity, I have to say it's been a huge letdown. It's actually much easier for me to just hook up my laptop to my PJ via VGA and to my receiver via RCA audio cables than to do the 360 thing. Also much more inconvenient, but at least it works.

What about using the Media Center? It sees all of my videos and music just fine. The only problem with my Media Connect with Windows Media is having a new Router and I bought a new computer and it says it sees the computer but it is connecting to my old computer. But I see my computer in Media Center just fine.

The 5.0 is here
post #9 of 45 Old 11-25-2007, 10:24 AM

Hi all

I did have WMP11 but when trying to share media no device is present,
I have quickly rebuilt my pc as it was needed and now I have WMP 10 with WMC 2.0 again no device is present. I have checked all services and all are looking ok,
The pc i am trying to share from is connected to my Netgear DG534 router, the other pc is a Windows Media Centre which is wireless.
I have disabled Zone alarms but still no luck.
All my partitions are shared out everything can share via file sharing but i am stumped on this ? any ideas?
I currently have TVersity which works but idealy i would like 2 use WMP

Thanks

PB1JB1
post #10 of 45 Old 11-26-2007, 06:18 AM

I tried all those ports listed when I got a new router and the sharing didn't work until I opened up 3074 and 88 to go with them.
post #11 of 45 Old 11-26-2007, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
how do you open up ports again?
post #12 of 45 Old 11-27-2007, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

This post left intentionally blank
post #13 of 45 Old 11-29-2007, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Bump
post #14 of 45 Old 11-30-2007, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonstiller View Post

how do you open up ports again?

RTM of your router.
post #15 of 45 Old 11-30-2007, 01:12 PM

I found the biggest annoyance is DHCP and firewalls. My Xbox doesn't always come online with the same IP address on my network, as it pulls it from the router. Considering it's different, I have to approve a number of IP addresses to get Zone Alarm to let the Xbox get through to the PC. Is there a way around this that doesn't mean I have to give the 360 a static IP?

The reason I rather stick with DHCP is that every so often, although rarely, Charter will change the DNS address, and I have to go in and change everything that I've assigned an IP address to.

It's not a BIG deal, but if you have any workarounds, that would be great. Thanks! I'm sure this post will help out a lot of people.
post #16 of 45 Old 11-30-2007, 01:47 PM

Get the MAC address of your Xbox, either on the back, or in your router.

Be sure your Xbox is set to Automatic.

Go into your router's setup, tell it to give MAC address xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx IP xxx.xxx.x.x. That works better than assigning a static IP on the Xbox, NAT seems happier. At least for me!! YMMV, depending on router I suppose.
post #17 of 45 Old 11-30-2007, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thosj View Post

Get the MAC address of your Xbox, either on the back, or in your router.

Go into your router's setup, tell it to give MAC address xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx IP xxx.xxx.x.x. That works better than assigning a static IP on the Xbox, NAT seems happier. At least for me!! YMMV, depending on router I suppose.

This is what I do. Unfortunately, not every router has that option. The WRT-54G, for instance, has no way to do this unless you flash it with aftermarket firmware.

post #18 of 45 Old 11-30-2007, 03:18 PM

For me, it's not the router ... it's Zone Alarm. Even playing with the router (that I just replaced last weekend), I'll still have to face Zone Alarm... ZA doesn't seem to allow filtering by Mac address. Maybe it would if I paid for it, but I don't like it enough to pay for it.
post #19 of 45 Old 12-01-2007, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ningyo View Post

The reason I rather stick with DHCP is that every so often, although rarely, Charter will change the DNS address, and I have to go in and change everything that I've assigned an IP address to.

No need to rely on Charter's DNS.
http://www.opendns.com/

But in my own way, I am King. Hail to the King, baby.

My Networked Media/Music/DVD Server
post #20 of 45 Old 06-23-2008, 04:00 PM

the service was also stopped for me, but i get error code 1068 when i try to start it:The dependency service or group failed to start. any idea what this means?
post #21 of 45 Old 06-24-2008, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

I am able to see pictures but the 360 doesnt seem to see the video.
The videos are in WMV format.

Suggestion why I can see pictures and not video.
Also Im using a WRT-54G router.

TV - Samsung DLP 4674W
Receiver - Pioneer 1015-K
Speakers - Polk 6901 (7.1 setup)
Sub - PSW303
DVD - LG 3510A
post #22 of 45 Old 06-24-2008, 11:39 AM

If you are using Vista and the PC came with Mcaffee or Norton that you no longer use,and have uninstalled,that can cause problems.
Go to the security center in Vista and click on firewalls and it will tell you the active firewalls. If you see one that you know you uninstalled you need to get it COMPLETELY uninstalled. Even if it doesnt show up in add/remove programs it could still be there.
I had to go through a bunch of hoops to get Mcaffee off my Vista machine,but once I did Media Center works great and my wireless connection stopped timing out all the time.
post #23 of 45 Old 08-28-2008, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yendor14 View Post

the service was also stopped for me, but i get error code 1068 when i try to start it:The dependency service or group failed to start. any idea what this means?

This is definetly a media sharing issue. If you go to services like stated before
there are three or four other services that need to be running in order for media sharing to run. You'll need to make sure there enabled as well.

I still have the issue though now where my xbox can not see my computer

I have a Linksys WRT54G router.

It seems like its some kind of router networking issue but I just can't seem to get it to work. I have messed around with setting up a static IP address and setting up port forwarding but still no go.

TV - Samsung DLP 4674W
Sub - PSW303
DVD - LG 3510A
post #24 of 45 Old 08-28-2008, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinoza_43221 View Post

This is definetly a media sharing issue. If you go to services like stated before
there are three or four other services that need to be running in order for media sharing to run. You'll need to make sure there enabled as well.

I still have the issue though now where my xbox can not see my computer

I have a Linksys WRT54G router.

It seems like its some kind of router networking issue but I just can't seem to get it to work. I have messed around with setting up a static IP address and setting up port forwarding but still no go.

Did you enable the uPnP option in your router? Are you running the Linksys firmware or DD-WRT?

post #25 of 45 Old 08-28-2008, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ningyo View Post

I found the biggest annoyance is DHCP and firewalls. My Xbox doesn't always come online with the same IP address on my network, as it pulls it from the router. Considering it's different, I have to approve a number of IP addresses to get Zone Alarm to let the Xbox get through to the PC. Is there a way around this that doesn't mean I have to give the 360 a static IP?

It's not a BIG deal, but if you have any workarounds, that would be great. Thanks! I'm sure this post will help out a lot of people.

Ding ding ding....winner. Firewalls and antivirus softwares are file sharing killers. There are a lot of PIA things that can be done to share while running both a firewall and AV software but I got so annoyed trying I Just shut my AV software down when I want to stream. Who knows how much it opens my laptop up to attacks though........
If I were you Id just use static IP....do they really change the DNS that often? My Xbox would change IP address all the time and Id have to reconfigure my NAT ports on the router, so I finally just went to static IP.
post #26 of 45 Old 08-28-2008, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Did you enable the uPnP option in your router? Are you running the Linksys firmware or DD-WRT?

I do have the uPnP option enabled in the router.

what is DD-WRT ?

Router is still using its original firmware.

TV - Samsung DLP 4674W
Sub - PSW303
DVD - LG 3510A
post #27 of 45 Old 08-28-2008, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davio View Post

If I were you Id just use static IP....do they really change the DNS that often? My Xbox would change IP address all the time and Id have to reconfigure my NAT ports on the router, so I finally just went to static IP.

As you say, static IP is much preferred. It turns out that most routers can serve as a DNS server, in that they relay the request onto the real (dynamic) DNS servers from the ISP. Hence, when statically setting up the Xbox, one can simply use the router's own internal LAN IP (e.g. 192.168.1.1) as the DNS server. Even if the ISP changes DNS address, this will never have to change.
post #28 of 45 Old 08-28-2008, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinoza_43221 View Post

what is DD-WRT ?

Router is still using its original firmware.

It is a custom firmware that adds many features not available on the original firmware. One of the best things in DD-WRT for me is the ability to increase the antenna power so that I stay on top of my neighbor's routers. Went from medium connection to high by upping the power to 100mW.

Installing DD-WRT may or may not solve your problem. I would do it just to get more out of my equipment.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/dd-wrt/about.html

post #29 of 45 Old 10-30-2008, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ironically, I ended up with a WMP11 sharing issue that I was having a hard time solving. Turns out that when I upgraded my PC, my Windows DRM files no longer were valid.

I currently use Vista.

Here is how I figured it out.

I was getting an error in the event logs:
A new media server was not initialized because WMCreateDeviceRegistration()
encountered error '0xc00d2751'. The Windows Media DRM components on your
computer might be corrupted. Verify that protected files play correctly in
Windows Media Player, and then restart the WMPNetworkSvc service.

Go into the registry editor (regedit.exe), and look at this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\DRM

In there, there will be a "Datapath" variable. Double click it. The Value Data will show you where the DRM files live.

Mine lived at C:\\ProgramData\\Microsoft\\Windows\\DRM .

Trouble is that the files in there are hidden. So go up to "Organize" and select Folder and Search Options. Click on the view Tab. Then select Show hidden files and folders. Then you simply select everything in there and delete it.

Then you can go back to the Control Panel/Administrator Tools/Services and restart the "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service". Or just reboot.

After that, sharing is fixed.

post #30 of 45 Old 10-30-2008, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I added some troubleshooting info to the first post.

Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page