Official crackdown thread, impressions, thoughts - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 385 Old 02-22-2007, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When you die, are you able to choose a different 'skin' for your character, or are you stuck with your guy the whole game.

And does your character constantly slowly change, or is it a one time 'now he looks really cool' type change. (Appearance)

Dasetup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 385 Old 02-22-2007, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Okay, so after spending five hours with this game over the last two nights, I've come to the conclusion that I thoroughly enjoy this game. BUT here's a couple of things that seem to get "in the way" of my reaching nirvana:

Left-stick sensitivity. Mainly the up-and-down sensitivity. It's just way too slow, and there's apparently no way to speed it up. It's most annoying when you're jumping in the air, targeting, shooting, and killing something on the ground beneath you (so you're looking down). Once you land on the ground, you're still looking down, and you have to hold "up" for five seconds just to be able to look around and target the other baddies around you. I don't know why they didn't make the sensitivity adjustable. I think I'm going to break off my analog stick one of these nights by pushing it too hard in a futile attempt to make my guy turn faster than he's programmed to go.

Targeting priority. Baddies are (apparently) of much higher priority than explodable barrels, so if there are two bad guys standing next to a barrel, you can't target the barrel to blow the guys up. It just targets the bad guys. I'm aiming directly at the barrel, but if I press left trigger it will target the bad guy next to the barrel, instead of the barrel. Also, it doesn't take distance into consideration -- if I've got a bad guy right next to me and a bad guy a half a kilometer away that hasn't even noticed me yet, of course I'm only concerned with the guy I'm actively fighting. Don't target bad guys in the distance that aren't even shooting at me if I'm in the middle of a battle with the guy right next to me.
post #93 of 385 Old 02-22-2007, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

ditto, i wish they had given us adjustable reticle sensitivity. i'm not surprised they didn't.

loving my completed home theater. :)
post #94 of 385 Old 02-22-2007, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Bull View Post

Okay, so after spending five hours with this game over the last two nights, I've come to the conclusion that I thoroughly enjoy this game. BUT here's a couple of things that seem to get "in the way" of my reaching nirvana:

Left-stick sensitivity. Mainly the up-and-down sensitivity. It's just way too slow, and there's apparently no way to speed it up. It's most annoying when you're jumping in the air, targeting, shooting, and killing something on the ground beneath you (so you're looking down). Once you land on the ground, you're still looking down, and you have to hold "up" for five seconds just to be able to look around and target the other baddies around you. I don't know why they didn't make the sensitivity adjustable. I think I'm going to break off my analog stick one of these nights by pushing it too hard in a futile attempt to make my guy turn faster than he's programmed to go.

Targeting priority. Baddies are (apparently) of much higher priority than explodable barrels, so if there are two bad guys standing next to a barrel, you can't target the barrel to blow the guys up. It just targets the bad guys. I'm aiming directly at the barrel, but if I press left trigger it will target the bad guy next to the barrel, instead of the barrel. Also, it doesn't take distance into consideration -- if I've got a bad guy right next to me and a bad guy a half a kilometer away that hasn't even noticed me yet, of course I'm only concerned with the guy I'm actively fighting. Don't target bad guys in the distance that aren't even shooting at me if I'm in the middle of a battle with the guy right next to me.

I'm not making exuses but honestly your guy has super human strenth roundhouse the guy who's near you then snipe the dumbass from afar. Anyways Iagree with you about sensitvty. Every man should have it.
post #95 of 385 Old 02-22-2007, 08:56 AM

I don't know about when you die, but when you load your campaign you can pick a new guy at that point. Their looks gradually change as you level up your powers. For instance, My character's face turned white (or it was a mask) after I hit 2 stars of agility. Lovin this game, and I imagine i'll beat it on psychotic once I beat it on ruthless. Its just too much fun to put down.....too bad I have to work to make a living. Grrrrr
post #96 of 385 Old 02-22-2007, 09:03 AM

Got this game when it came out, and I've just started the Volk area. It is a lot of fun, but I have a couple questions for those that are a little further in the game.

Will there still be enemies to kill in the areas that you clear?
Does the game end once you finish the storyline, or can you still mess around in the city?

PS: The grenade launcher and rocket launcher are indeed awesome!

XBL - kilongs
PSN - brewticus
post #97 of 385 Old 02-22-2007, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

BTW never pick up a gas barrel and toss at bad guys in hopes you can blow it up.

I tried this think I was all smart but they shot the barrel as I was comming and I died.... LOL.

But thowing stuff at pepole is great...
post #98 of 385 Old 02-22-2007, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerx View Post

I tried this think I was all smart but they shot the barrel as I was comming and I died.... LOL.

Wow, I didn't need to know that.
post #99 of 385 Old 02-22-2007, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by augmental View Post

Have any of you noticed that the Agency info vids that pop up to give you intel about bosses and such skip and stutter (both sound and video)? I have noticed this twice.

It's hard to get perfect cell-video from HQ to an agent each and every time. Maybe you were in a weak signal spot. lol
post #100 of 385 Old 02-22-2007, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerx View Post

BTW never pick up a gas barrel and toss at bad guys in hopes you can blow it up.

But thowing stuff at pepole is great...

I found this out the hard way too It can be useful when you are up on the rooftops and see some gangstas below and can surprise them. I guess once you get the rocket launcher though, there's not much point in it.

PSN/XBOX Live: Destro75
BattleNet Tag: BaronessMD#1680

Steam: vpnath

Gaming PC: i7 3770K OC 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 670 FTW Dual-SLI

post #101 of 385 Old 02-22-2007, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Here's something interesting I noticed last night: I was standing in front of an "All new Dodge Caliber, it's anything but cute" billboard (G.D. in-game advertising), and I turned around and there was another large billboard on a building. When I looked directly at that billboard, it changed into a scrolling sign that read "So-and-so holds the fastest time in the coastal car race." I thought that was cool...
post #102 of 385 Old 02-22-2007, 09:47 AM

A crack fiend's review... lol

There is a new drug in town, folks. And it's called Crackdown.

I picked up my copy Monday. I was never a big fan of the sandbox styled games such as GTA or its many clones. However, this game has me hooked. I originally picked it up for the Halo 3 Beta that is included, but found myself having way more fun playing this game than anything else at the moment..

Things of note:

1. You can level your character up. Each level any of the disciplines (Agility, Demolitions, Strength, Driving, and I believe its called Fire Power). You go from level 0 all the way to level 5.
2. The map is 10 sq miles. Its huge, the draw distance is unlike anything you've seen in a console game.
3. The achievements are pretty fun as well. One notable achievement is climbing a building in the center of the map *HQ*. It is as tall as the Empire State Building. Once at the top, you get an achievement. Then, to gain another, you jump off of the building into a small pond at the foot of the building.. Nice!!
4. Jump in Co-op. At anytime, someone can jump in your game and help you out. Gaining experience in someone else's game..
5. What a superhero game should be.
6. If you've preordered, it comes with the Halo 3 demo. (to be downloaded at a later date).

Cons:

1. You cant keep the Progress of someone else's game you've joined.
2. Game maybe too short. Pace yourselves when attacking bosses. Character respawning helps in this regard.
3. Cant think of any at the moment

Also, I hear they maybe opening up on-line play to include more players. Allowing for team battles as well as Capture the Flag type games..

Two Thumbs up. Highly reccomended for those that just like to have fun with their games.

What was once tame is now wild.
post #103 of 385 Old 02-22-2007, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here's something interesting I noticed last night: I was standing in front of an "All new Dodge Caliber, it's anything but cute" billboard (G.D. in-game advertising), and I turned around and there was another large billboard on a building. When I looked directly at that billboard, it changed into a scrolling sign that read "So-and-so holds the fastest time in the coastal car race." I thought that was cool...

WTF! That urks me. How can you create a totally fictional city, give it a cartoonish look, then insert ads in it. It totally kills the suspension of disbelief.

Dasetup
post #104 of 385 Old 02-22-2007, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

What I also found myself amazed at when playing the demo was how each building in this huge city looks completely different from the next. Unbelievable job they did!

PS- I just picked up my copy during my lunch break so I'm ready to go home now!!!

Gamertag: BaneAssassin
PSN: BaneAssassin
post #105 of 385 Old 02-22-2007, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillhouse17 View Post

WTF! That urks me. How can you create a totally fictional city, give it a cartoonish look, then insert ads in it. It totally kills the suspension of disbelief.

You've got to be kidding... right??

post #106 of 385 Old 02-22-2007, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 112
yes the vehicles get easier to control as you level up. I'm at 3 stars. I think the car skill is the hardest one to get so far.
post #107 of 385 Old 02-22-2007, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Cars are definatly hardest because I always wind up getting out and trying to get up to orbs that I see---and once I get to the orbs---oh look, there is another one, and eventually I totally forget where the hell I left the agency car--what is amazing is that half an hour later I come back and it is in the exact same spot and condition I left it in. Awesome.

Someone above mentioned how the never throw things down on people once you get the rocket launcher---I still do because it gives you strength stuff--then again, I'm 4*'s in both of them now too so using weapons should really be my next thing I do from up high.

Xbox 360 Gamertag: MisterxboxNJ
post #108 of 385 Old 02-22-2007, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
I'm making slow progress in the game, but having a lot of fun in the process! I put in a couple more hours last night and got all my skills to level 2. Once I found the RL in the Volk area which I stumbled into by accident, my explosives skill went up real fast.

I'm also starting to enjoy the driving aspects of the game. I just love the way the car morphs everytime you get into and and morphs back when you get out. I just don't get tired of seeing that! I probably put in a good hour just driving around and running down gang members and trying to pull of crazy stunts.

Man I love this game!

PSN/XBOX Live: Destro75
BattleNet Tag: BaronessMD#1680

Steam: vpnath

Gaming PC: i7 3770K OC 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 670 FTW Dual-SLI

post #109 of 385 Old 02-22-2007, 11:16 AM

After you get your first star in driving, things get quite abit easier. I got my driving star from picking up mystery orbs. Next time I took I car I was shocked at the difference. I can hear the narrator now at four stars, "You're driving skills have increased, agent. You now drive like Mario Andretti and can perform stunts like Evil Knevil."
post #110 of 385 Old 02-22-2007, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdank View Post

Wow, I didn't need to know that.

That's why its spelled with a O and not a U.

Well then I was running upto the bad guys. At which point they shot the barrel I was carrying.
post #111 of 385 Old 02-22-2007, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle_AA2 View Post

After you get your first star in driving, things get quite abit easier. I got my driving star from picking up mystery orbs. Next time I took I car I was shocked at the difference. I can hear the narrator now at four stars, "You're driving skills have increased, agent. You now drive like Mario Andretti and can perform stunts like Evil Knevil."

You got a driving star by picking up mystery orbs? I don't understand exactly. I thought you had to race races to get your driving skill up (that's how I got my single driving star). Did you drive over the mystery orbs?

Waitaminute, now that I think about it, if you kill bad guys with a car, do you get driving skills? I'm reminded that The Voice keeps telling me "Skills for kills, Agent."
post #112 of 385 Old 02-22-2007, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

oK i played last night with someone and the game is a blast leveling up is very addicting and fun. jumping and climbing roof to roof is cool....the only thing I still hate is that it does not tell you when your close to your next level and the driving controls suck.....overall still like the game great to play.
post #113 of 385 Old 02-22-2007, 12:27 PM

The hud tells you when youre about to be at the next level. Under each number is a
"progress bar". Look at that to guage how far you are to the next level.

post #114 of 385 Old 02-22-2007, 12:38 PM

Quote:

You got a driving star by picking up mystery orbs? I don't understand exactly. I thought you had to race races to get your driving skill up (that's how I got my single driving star). Did you drive over the mystery orbs?

Waitaminute, now that I think about it, if you kill bad guys with a car, do you get driving skills? I'm reminded that The Voice keeps telling me "Skills for kills, Agent."

Sure, the mystery orbs shoot out several different types of upgrades. Look at all the different colors that come out next time you pop one.
post #115 of 385 Old 02-22-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:

Mystery orbs boost everything, but not by a whole lot; if you kill a gang member with the car, you gain just driving orbs. if you shoot someone from very high up, you will increase your agility slightly but mostly improve your firearms skill. If you throw things or beat them up with your fists/feet of fury, you gains strength.
post #116 of 385 Old 02-22-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorrorScope View Post

It's hard to get perfect cell-video from HQ to an agent each and every time. Maybe you were in a weak signal spot. lol

So did you noticed the stuttering in the Agency video or not?
post #117 of 385 Old 02-22-2007, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 112
guys, get the 4 stars for the vehicle skill. It's crazy. You'll get special abilites like guns, nitro and air suspension that hops.
post #118 of 385 Old 02-22-2007, 02:20 PM

Yeah, I heard the narrator tell me that last night...the whole shooting someone from high up boosts your agility. I think that's a pretty cool idea. I can't wait to see what this creative team comes up with DLC. I bet their already spinning their wheels on a crackdown 2. This game has just created too much buzz for that not to happen.
post #119 of 385 Old 02-22-2007, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by augmental View Post

So did you noticed the stuttering in the Agency video or not?

I noticed some stuttering once on the main menu (the background animation is like you're circling the city skyline) but not during an Agency video. The main menu stuttering went away after maybe ten seconds. Like it was "busy" loading something while it was trying to display the background animation. I wonder if your stuttering was because it was loading the Volk part of the map or something. Does it happen every time you play a video or just periodically?
post #120 of 385 Old 02-22-2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:

I noticed some stuttering once on the main menu (the background animation is like you're circling the city skyline) but not during an Agency video. The main menu stuttering went away after maybe ten seconds. Like it was "busy" loading something while it was trying to display the background animation. I wonder if your stuttering was because it was loading the Volk part of the map or something. Does it happen every time you play a video or just periodically?

First, thanks for the reply. Yeah, I noticed the intro video stuttering a bit too. But yeah it seems like the game is streaming data off the disc during gameplay (or loading the next segment potentially) and trying to load the Agency video and the system is getting "taxed", if you will. It is only periodically and is not all the time. I am just hoping it is the game / disc and not my 360. What with the constant horror stories of dying boxes I don't want mine to be next

I just find it odd that no one else has noticed the videos stuttering when one loads up while there is alot of action going on onscreen. I plan to replace the disc to see if this helps.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page