Anyone using the Logitech Harmony for 360 remote? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 02-27-2007, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone out there using this remote? I'm thinking of picking up one this weekend and wanted to get some opinions.

Also, can you go through the Xbox Live marketplace with just the remote? Any issues using it with the HD-DVD attachment?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 02-27-2007, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 72
This remote is exactly the same as any other Harmony remote, except that it has the red, blue, yellow and green buttons.

Yes, you can use the remote to browse through the marketplace and with the HD-DVD player.

I have a Harmony 880, and it works with the 360 perfectly.

I guess what I am saying is that a Harmony remote can do so much more than just operate an XBox. So the best remote to get would be the one that has the buttons that work the best with your entire system (DVR, DVD player, XBox, etc...). The hard buttons and the screen size and quality are really the only differences between the different Harmony remotes.

For instance, I really like the 880 because it has the transport buttons right in the center of the remote, where it is easy to access them. Some of the Harmonies have them at the bottom, where the thumb-reach is a pain.

Josh - GamerTag: ShapeGSX PSN: ShapeGSX
'97 Eclipse GSX - 11.825@117.55mph in the 1/4
post #3 of 28 Old 02-27-2007, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

It would help if you told which remote you are referring to. Logitech has several Harmony models.

I have the 550 and it works perfect with the 360 and the HD DVD addon, I really like it. I started with the 670 and thought the buttons were too small or too close together for my hands so I returned it, but it also worked well with the 360. My sister has the 520 and it works with their 360 just fine, but seems to have problems with the HTPC. I need to go by and help get that working

XBL/PSN: wirechild
post #4 of 28 Old 02-27-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirechild73 View Post

It would help if you told which remote you are referring to. Logitech has several Harmony models.(

I assume he's talking about the 360 model - if you haven't seen it, it has A/B/X/Y buttons and is color-matched to the 360. I have one, and it works great! No issues navigating menus like the Marketplace on the 360 itself, or on my DVR (I remapped the B/X buttons to PageUp/PageDown when watching TV).

post #5 of 28 Old 02-27-2007, 10:38 AM

I have the 880. Zero problems with the 360. Works like a charm. A/B/X/Y are mapped to the LCD display flanking buttons. I don't feel the need to have the specialized "360" remote. Just my 2¢
post #6 of 28 Old 02-27-2007, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiehi View Post

I have the 880. Zero problems with the 360. Works like a charm. A/B/X/Y are mapped to the LCD display flanking buttons. I don't feel the need to have the specialized "360" remote. Just my 2¢

Ditto.
post #7 of 28 Old 02-27-2007, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiehi View Post

And with the deals on these, you can usually get a 880 for less than $150 at Amazon or Dell.

880 works like a charm here.
post #8 of 28 Old 02-27-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdank View Post

And with the deals on these, you can usually get a 880 for less than $150 at Amazon or Dell.

880 works like a charm here.

I agree. Best $150.00 I ever sent. I caught it on sale at Amazon.com. Took about 15 mins to configure it and have it running. I had no problems with it yet.

Gamertag:Cryptin
post #9 of 28 Old 02-27-2007, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb101 View Post

I assume he's talking about the 360 model - if you haven't seen it, it has A/B/X/Y buttons and is color-matched to the 360. I have one, and it works great! No issues navigating menus like the Marketplace on the 360 itself, or on my DVR (I remapped the B/X buttons to PageUp/PageDown when watching TV).

I've had this remote for a little over a month now, and I sure do enjoy it. I wish it had a little bit more flexibility in programming custom commands for each of my A/V components -- like when I want to tweak speaker levels and such -- but overall it's been terrific. The addition of the colored buttons is a real boon when I'm using my 360 for media playback -- and though a Guide Button function is pre-programmed as one of the custom commands, I do wish it had a big silver hemisphere. (I miss the big silver hemisphere. Oh well.) Best thing about this doodad is my wife no longer complains about needing a Master's degree to turn on the home theater and/or select components.

==\dub/==
post #10 of 28 Old 02-27-2007, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

^^Same here, I've had the 880 for a few months now and couldn't be happier. I now have one remote to control all my stuff, versus 5. Only thing missing is Logitech giving us the option to change the Activity backgrounds. I also like renaming my Activity buttons-- this thing is customizable in every way, I love this thing !

I don't have a signature...
post #11 of 28 Old 02-27-2007, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub273 View Post

Best thing about this doodad is my wife no longer complains about needing a Master's degree to turn on the home theater and/or select components.

I have the 880, and yes, it is worth it's weight in gold in that aspect.

Actually, we recently moved TVs around and the 880 went with the HDTV and the "Generic Universal Remote" stayed in the Living Room (read main TV room). I have gotten more calls in the last month about why the TV isn't working than in the 18 months when we had the 880 in the room.

I am thinking about picking up another one as soon as I can find a deal.
post #12 of 28 Old 02-27-2007, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirechild73 View Post

It would help if you told which remote you are referring to. Logitech has several Harmony models.

I have the 550 and it works perfect with the 360 and the HD DVD addon, I really like it. I started with the 670 and thought the buttons were too small or too close together for my hands so I returned it, but it also worked well with the 360. My sister has the 520 and it works with their 360 just fine, but seems to have problems with the HTPC. I need to go by and help get that working

+1 for the 550.

I tried handling the 880 in the stores and just didn't like the design/layout. For me, the 550 handles much more naturally. But in any case, all of the Harmony remotes will do everything you want with your 360, HD-DVD, and whatever else you have.
post #13 of 28 Old 02-27-2007, 02:22 PM

For sure, the 360-specific remote isn't necessary if you want to control your Xbox - and it's fully customizable just like any of the others. The best addition to my TV room since my Plasma.
post #14 of 28 Old 02-27-2007, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I also have this remote and really enjoy it, but there are two things that I don't particularly care for.

a) It can be slow to respond. For example, it's slower than the controller and "actual" Xbox remotes when it comes to responding to your input.

b) It clicks loudly whenever you depress the 4 way directional circle and the volume, as opposed to the quite controller and Xbox remotes.

Just an FYI.

-JR
post #15 of 28 Old 02-27-2007, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceRocket View Post

I also have this remote and really enjoy it, but there are two things that I don't particularly care for.

a) It can be slow to respond. For example, it's slower than the controller and "actual" Xbox remotes when it comes to responding to your input.

Check out the sticky on the top of the remote forum. You need to adjust your interkey delay and you'll be fine.
post #16 of 28 Old 02-27-2007, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

360 remote owner here....works well and a great buy at less than $100.

All harmonies seem to work and function beautifully, so it's basically a question of cost and ergonomics. Unless you actually need to control more than 8 items, in which case the 360 won't be your go-to remote.

XBL: AJ in HD
PSN: AJ_in_HD
post #17 of 28 Old 02-27-2007, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

I have the 360 remote and the Harmony H659. I prefer the 659 only because for my setup I use it for my LCD and PJ simultaneously. And the 360 remote does not have the buttons for Sound and Picture which gives you a submenu to easily change things. That is my only gripe about the 360. But of course the H659 does not have the dedicated Y/B/X/A buttons. But you can program so they show up on the LCD on the 659. Oh well I guess you can't have everything.

Curtis
Xbox Live ID: Blaze104
MSI Media Live DIVA 5.1
Ahanix MCE701 case
LG Blu-ray/HD-DVD
3 Cable Card
1 HDHomerun
Windows 7 32bit
42" HP MediaSmart
WHS Norco 4020 case w/ WHS 2011
post #18 of 28 Old 02-27-2007, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNMatthias View Post

Check out the sticky on the top of the remote forum. You need to adjust your interkey delay and you'll be fine.

Thanks MNMatthias, I'll check that out!

-JR
post #19 of 28 Old 02-28-2007, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis104 View Post

I have the 360 remote and the Harmony H659. I prefer the 659 only because for my setup I use it for my LCD and PJ simultaneously. And the 360 remote does not have the buttons for Sound and Picture which gives you a submenu to easily change things. That is my only gripe about the 360. But of course the H659 does not have the dedicated Y/B/X/A buttons. But you can program so they show up on the LCD on the 659. Oh well I guess you can't have everything.

You know you can program anything you want to the soft buttons, right? I set mine up to be able to easily switch surround modes with one of the soft buttons.
post #20 of 28 Old 02-28-2007, 11:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb101 View Post

You know you can program anything you want to the soft buttons, right? I set mine up to be able to easily switch surround modes with one of the soft buttons.

On any Harmony remote you can reprogram all but a few buttons to do anything. You don't ever have to accept the stock device mappings.

I have the "for Xbox 360" Harmony (it has no apparent model number) and I really like the way that it looks and feels in my hand. I don't much care for the peanut-shaped remotes, so it was between it and the 550. It won by having more hard buttons.

But they're right--any Harmony remote will do what you want.

Actually, I'm a bit down on Harmony recently, since learning that they removed the ability to map macro actions to buttons from the programming interface. With that capability it was the equal of the Home Theater Master remotes with a simpler programming interface; w/o it, the HTMs are more powerful, though still harder to program.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #21 of 28 Old 02-28-2007, 01:14 PM

I have the 688 Harmony remote and its the best remote I've ever had.

688 Pic

It does everything and only took a few minutes to setup. Some of the custom macros and key placement took a little longer, but was still easy.
post #22 of 28 Old 03-09-2007, 10:29 AM

does anyone know if the harmony xbox remote has discrete on/off codes? Or does it just toggle the xbox on and off?
post #23 of 28 Old 03-09-2007, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seatrend13 View Post

does anyone know if the harmony xbox remote has discrete on/off codes? Or does it just toggle the xbox on and off?

Pretty sure it's just a toggle.
post #24 of 28 Old 03-09-2007, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I have the 550. It's light, it's "ok". I came from a URC remote, which I think are still the best remotes on the face of the planet. I got the 550 for less then 100 Canadian, so I thought I'd try it.
Overall I am happy with it, but I wish I went with URC again. The setup for the harmony can be tedious, although not hard at all. And the response is slow. no matter how fast u turn up the response time, it's still a lot slower then a oem remote.
post #25 of 28 Old 03-09-2007, 12:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seatrend13 View Post

The question would be whether the Xbox 360 responds to discrete on and off codes. There are no unique codes built into the Logitech Harmony Remote for Xbox 360; as with any other device, you define activities which include it (like "Play Xbox 360") and it maps buttons on your remote for functions when you're in that activity. It does not map a power on, power off or toggle power button by default; it uses the "power toggle" function to start and leave the activity.

I checked and the device has discrete power on and power off buttons defined for it online. I mapped these to keys and they work properly (often enough it will have such codes for a device and they don't do anything).

I set up my remote to not turn the Xbox 360 off and on when I change activities; often, I'm downloading something and I want to do something else that doesn't involve the Xbox. The Xbox 360 Guide button (silver ball with X on the remotes and pads) makes a handy "on" button.

post #26 of 28 Old 03-30-2007, 08:27 AM

Is there an Xbox button on the remote to access friends list while watching a movie? Or is there another way to access it while watching a movie?

Dear BLK 04,

You have received a warning at AVS Forum.

Reason:
-------
Signature Rule Violation
post #27 of 28 Old 03-30-2007, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK 04 View Post

Is there an Xbox button on the remote to access friends list while watching a movie? Or is there another way to access it while watching a movie?

Have you tried hitting the guide button while watching a movie?

I'm currently at work or I would try it myself.
post #28 of 28 Old 03-30-2007, 10:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyerox View Post

Have you tried hitting the guide button while watching a movie?

I'm currently at work or I would try it myself.

That works just fine. Of course, on the remote there is no Guide button, but it's mapped to the upper left soft button.

Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page