Need to extend my wireless controller - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 02-28-2007, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I have my XBOX360 in my AV closet and connected to my home video distribution system.

I can play it in 3 rooms but the back room is too far away for the wireless controller to still work.

Anyway to extended the distance of my wireless controller? Is there a wireless repeater or something similar out there?

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 02-28-2007, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I don't know the specifcs of the exact tech in the controller but i know it's encrypted RF signals. I'd imagine any signal booster would cause latency as well. Plus MS is pretty Hardcore about keeping the Wireless spec in the controller propietary(Redoctane for example is having trouble making the guitar for 360 wireless for this reason alone).
post #3 of 26 Old 02-28-2007, 07:15 AM

not really to add any information but penngray I must say xbox hooked to distribution to play in multi rooms is one of the best ideas I have heard in a long time and can't believe I never thought of something like that.

It may be just enough to get my wife to let me do something fun with our systems. Thanks.
post #4 of 26 Old 02-28-2007, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah, its pretty damn cool and its a great way to play one game on multiple TVs and its great for me because my wife can kick me out of a room and I can just switch the game to another room with out disconnecting/connecting the box again.

post #5 of 26 Old 02-28-2007, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have a house under construction and plan to have the xbox360 & ps3 hooked up to the whole house distribution system. Im curious as to how far the controller's range allows you to go? I also wonder if the new ms wireless device that just got released might help our situation. I assume it plugs in via usb to the pc. if so, can it also be used for the 360? maybe have one wireless device in the bedroom that doesn't get range and then have the device wired back to the 360?

tum
post #6 of 26 Old 02-28-2007, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
that's an interesting idea with the wireless device... but i'm not sure it would work. it would depend on how you'd connect the wireless usb receiver into the 360. i'm not sure the 360 will take a usb controller?

i'm very interested in this, as i would often like to play in my room, while the 360 is hooked up to my pj downstairs.

add on question, is there a cheap distribution system available? only need a single source.

not meaning to threadjack, I definitely would like to know about the extension, as mine is definitely outside the range.

loving my completed home theater. :)
post #7 of 26 Old 02-28-2007, 10:01 AM

I did this with my XBOX wireless controllers by splicing a Cat5 run inbetween my wireless controllers.
Not sure how this would translate to the 360, but it was very easy on the XBOX to cut the USB wireless receiver, add male and female USB connectors, and use a Cat5 USB extender to get the signal to my bedroom (via Cat5)... I don't experience any lag.

I'd also like to know of any solutions on the Xbox360
post #8 of 26 Old 02-28-2007, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

You guys bring up a good point. Though I think the wireless controllers would not work. However you might be able to bridge a wired controller to your 360 with a wireless USB transmitter. The New driving wheel works just like a wireless controller. (when plugged into a 360 it just uses the usb connection for power not for data transfer).
post #9 of 26 Old 02-28-2007, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

add on question, is there a cheap distribution system available? only need a single source.

Video/audio distribution isnt cheap and I dont want to get off topic.

I need to expand the range of my controller

post #10 of 26 Old 02-28-2007, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

However you might be able to bridge a wired controller to your 360 with a wireless USB transmitter.

That sounds like something I could test.

post #11 of 26 Old 02-28-2007, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

Video/audio distribution isnt cheap and I dont want to get off topic.

I need to expand the range of my controller

that's what i figured! sorry!

back to the extension!

hell, i can just run a damn switch if i have to

thanks!

the wireless receiver is your best bet... however... i'm not sure it will work with the 360. i haven't been able to find info on that.

looks from pictures like it has a pigtail, so you could definitely splice into that, and run the pigtail all the way to your 360.

the one downside is i'm not sure this will work with a 360... it might be just a PC accessory. it does state it's usb 2.0... are the usb on the 360 2.0? i jsut don't know if anything plugged into the usb would override the 360s internal wireless receiver.

several persons also mentioned in their reviews (on a few sites) that this increased the range over the normal 360 system. so if it does work with the 360, you might not even have to have it in room.

loving my completed home theater. :)
post #12 of 26 Old 02-28-2007, 01:08 PM

If you're only using it for multimedia stuff in the areas its not reaching to, then use the IR media remote and get a wireless IR extender. Otherwise, maybe you can get the USB adapter to use your wireless remotes with a PC, maybe that will work plugged into the 360 with a long USB cable.
post #13 of 26 Old 02-28-2007, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalnoise View Post

I don't know the specifcs of the exact tech in the controller but i know it's encrypted RF signals. I'd imagine any signal booster would cause latency as well. Plus MS is pretty Hardcore about keeping the Wireless spec in the controller propietary(Redoctane for example is having trouble making the guitar for 360 wireless for this reason alone).

Actually the signal is NOT encrypted, but it is frequency hopping (FHSS) so any repeater or extender would have to know the "hop sequence" used. To my knowledge there are no capable devices that can currently do what the OP is wanting.

Last Watched 3D: Oz the Great and Powerful

It should be called Violet-Ray

post #14 of 26 Old 02-28-2007, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If you're only using it for multimedia stuff in the areas its not reaching to

No, Im fine with remote control of the XBOX, I have full IR functionality in my AV closet to all devices.

This is for gaming.

post #15 of 26 Old 03-01-2007, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

I have my XBOX360 in my AV closet and connected to my home video distribution system.

I can play it in 3 rooms but the back room is too far away for the wireless controller to still work.

Anyway to extended the distance of my wireless controller? Is there a wireless repeater or something similar out there?

I have a ELAN system12 distributing my stuff. I can play wireless in the media room (360 is in rack in wall), gameroom (right outside media room approx 25ft.) and living room (directly below the media room) with no issues.

To use them in the kids rooms, I use a usb to cat5 adapter and in their rooms it is not wireless, but they can play on their tvs with the play and charge kit/cable...

This is the only way I found to do this...

Dustoff00
post #16 of 26 Old 03-01-2007, 08:26 AM

I think you may be out of luck...

The Microsoft Wireless standard on the Xbox 360 is proprietary so your not gonna find a 3rd party solution for extending your controllers. Heck, you can't even find a 3rd party wireless controller. As someone stated above, Red Octane is fighting with Microsoft to make a wireless guitar for Guitar Hero II and not getting very far. You cannot synch up a controller to the Wireless USB Network adapter. That is for 802.11b or 802.11g network connectivity only.

Maybe as more and more people install AV distribution system in their homes, Microsoft will see a demand for providing a solution to extend the wireless controller range.

The truth is 99% of 360 owners have their consoles in the same room as the TV it's hooked up to (or at least within the 30ft max range of it).

I have the Wireless USB Gaming Receiver for Windows but never thought of trying it on my 360. I'll try it tonight and see if it works, I'm guessing not though. I think it is PC only. But being that the receiver has a fairly long cord (~3-4ft), if it works, that might be enough to get you within range.

Exactly how far away is the back room from the 360?
post #17 of 26 Old 03-01-2007, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 72
You may be able to find the wireless antenna inside the XBox, and install a better one. People do this all the time with routers and wireless cards. I suspect that the antennas that work well for the routers would also work well for the XBox's wireless controllers because the frequency used should be the same. But that would void your warranty for sure.

Josh - GamerTag: ShapeGSX PSN: ShapeGSX
'97 Eclipse GSX - 11.825@117.55mph in the 1/4
post #18 of 26 Old 03-01-2007, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustoff View Post

I have a ELAN system12 distributing my stuff. I can play wireless in the media room (360 is in rack in wall), gameroom (right outside media room approx 25ft.) and living room (directly below the media room) with no issues.

To use them in the kids rooms, I use a usb to cat5 adapter and in their rooms it is not wireless, but they can play on their tvs with the play and charge kit/cable...

This is the only way I found to do this...

Did you splice USB connectors into the Play & Charge cable?
If so, are the wire colors identical?
post #19 of 26 Old 03-01-2007, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Even if you use the play and charge cable, the wireless controller still uses wireless to connect to the XBox. The cable is only used for charging.

Josh - GamerTag: ShapeGSX PSN: ShapeGSX
'97 Eclipse GSX - 11.825@117.55mph in the 1/4
post #20 of 26 Old 03-01-2007, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post

Even if you use the play and charge cable, the wireless controller still uses wireless to connect to the XBox. The cable is only used for charging.

Not sure how it works but I am able to use in my kids rooms that are well over 30 feet away.

Obviously my stuff is home run to the wiring closet. USB on the 360-> USB/Cat5 Adapter->Cat5 Run in Wall->Cat5-USB adapter->Play and charge kit->wireless controler.

I just assumed that the wireless version worked like a wired version when it had the cable plugged in. Daughters room is about 40-45 feet away with at least 3 walls to go thru...

If I am just lucky with the wireless range, the wired controller should work just the same.

It charges in this scenario, as well.

Dustoff00
post #21 of 26 Old 03-01-2007, 12:12 PM

You could wire directly to the cat5 if you have modular plates using LibertyCable
modules at the link below:

http://secure.libertycable.com/ecomm....php?group=458

About 1/3 the way down...

PC-R20 USB A to B Feedthru, B to A & A to A also available

I just have not done this yet as I am using a dongle adapter on both ends.

Theoretically you could get two usbs on one cat5 (4 conductors each...)

When I am ready to do this, I will just pry open my dongle and look at the pin-outs..

Dustoff00
post #22 of 26 Old 03-01-2007, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I can confirm that the wireless controllers continue to communicate with the Xbox 360 wirelessly even when connected with the "Play 'n Charge" kit. The cable provides power only, without transmitting any data signals. There is unfortunately no way to make these controllers "talk" to the Xbox 360 via a USB connection. One would have to use the wired controller instead.
post #23 of 26 Old 03-01-2007, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slordak View Post

I can confirm that the wireless controllers continue to communicate with the Xbox 360 wirelessly even when connected with the "Play 'n Charge" kit. The cable provides power only, without transmitting any data signals. There is unfortunately no way to make these controllers "talk" to the Xbox 360 via a USB connection. One would have to use the wired controller instead.

I will try this weekend to just use a 100ft cable and go to the front of the house to see if I can still control it...

If I cant, this is good to know, so when I break out the usb to my Master and Office I will need the wired versions... Still a good option in my opinion...

In my case, it looks as though the range is greater than the reported 30ft at least.

Dustoff00
post #24 of 26 Old 03-08-2007, 08:33 AM

Any luck with your experiment?

Just wondering...if you're able to go from USB to Cat5e, couldn't you then hook up a wireless adapter to transmit the signal wirelessly without having to have cat5e in the walls? Kind of like I have for my Slingbox. Or are we back to the frequency hopping issue?

I'd really like for this to work as we'll be moving soon. The new house has a media closet for which I'd love to have the 360 as one of my inputs to my AVAtrix.

John
post #25 of 26 Old 03-08-2007, 10:45 AM

I've given up on putting the 360 as a source in my AvAtrix setup for this very reason. The most likely destination is the media room, so that's where the 360 will stay. However, it would be great to play in the bedroom, living room, etc.

I'm already using my two CAT5 runs to each room for the AvAtrix setup, so the option of using CAT5 for a wired controller is out.
post #26 of 26 Old 03-15-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkseger View Post

Any luck with your experiment?

John

Had to travel for work and am getting the house ready for the Omni II Pro and Vizia RF lighting, so I have not had a chance. But I will do it this weekend as everything is ready now... Just have to pry the controllers out of my 8 and 5 yo's hands...

Will let you know...

Dustoff00
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page