Can you stream live video to an XBOX 360? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-14-2007, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, I spent all evening finally being about to stream archieved video to my xbox. Can you stream a live video feed (like mlb.tv (baseball) to the xbox? Or is there anyway to archieve on the fly and then stream to the xbox (I don't mind a slight delay in the game). Do I need a third party application?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2007, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I doubt it, but won't say it with 100% certainty.

Gamertag: crud monkey
Old 03-14-2007, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Yes, it's called Windows Media Center. Obviously you need a MCE 2005 or Vista PC with a TV tuner card to do it. I've watched live content streamed wirelessly to my xbox 360 (which I do because the 360 is hooked up to my 720p projector onto a 100" diagonal screen in the basement...PC is upstairs). I've even used the MC remote that came with my PC to change channels using the 360 as the extender. It works flawlessly except for HD contnent...the 54Mbps limitation of using the adapter in A or G mode definately is not enough throughput for High Def. Would be nice if a wireless n adapter were offered, but since the 2nd draft was just submitted it's not supposed to be finalized til 2009 (although MS could certainly offer something earlier, but it wouldn't be compatible with all 802.11n WAPs). I don't watch much live TV using the 360 as the extender though, mostly use it to watch Recorded TV from my Vista PC on my bigscreen.

XBOX LIVE ID: JeepR kReapR
PSN ID: JeepR_kReapR

Originally Posted by emartins

Instead of the usual 2 minutes, give her 5 minutes of nothing but that Jeep ecstasy. She will be exhausted and fall right to sleep. You are now free to play.

Thats what I do.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

^^

OK, it's possible, but it's a PITA

Gamertag: crud monkey
Old 03-14-2007, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Instead of opening a new thread, could I stream video files (Divx, Mpeg, etc)?

There is no "best", best is what's best for you...

Have you tried searching first?
Old 03-14-2007, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Try tversity (its a third party app that transcodes "on the fly" or close to it.

I have come to the conclusion that Media Center is the way to go. I am now having a hard time getting my XBOX to connect to the media center. I was able to get Windows Media Player to connect. I uninstalled the Media Player and am still having a hard time getting them to "play nice".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_M View Post

Instead of opening a new thread, could I stream video files (Divx, Mpeg, etc)?

Old 03-14-2007, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, I now have Media Center connected to my xbox. I need to figure out how to view a streaming video from the net (major league baseball)......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallen234 View Post

Try tversity (its a third party app that transcodes "on the fly" or close to it.

I have come to the conclusion that Media Center is the way to go. I am now having a hard time getting my XBOX to connect to the media center. I was able to get Windows Media Player to connect. I uninstalled the Media Player and am still having a hard time getting them to "play nice".

Old 03-14-2007, 11:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyderulz View Post

Yes, it's called Windows Media Center. Obviously you need a MCE 2005 or Vista PC with a TV tuner card to do it. I've watched live content streamed wirelessly to my xbox 360 (which I do because the 360 is hooked up to my 720p projector onto a 100" diagonal screen in the basement...PC is upstairs). I've even used the MC remote that came with my PC to change channels using the 360 as the extender. It works flawlessly except for HD contnent...the 54Mbps limitation of using the adapter in A or G mode definately is not enough throughput for High Def. Would be nice if a wireless n adapter were offered, but since the 2nd draft was just submitted it's not supposed to be finalized til 2009 (although MS could certainly offer something earlier, but it wouldn't be compatible with all 802.11n WAPs). I don't watch much live TV using the 360 as the extender though, mostly use it to watch Recorded TV from my Vista PC on my bigscreen.

54mbs is more than enough. I have no problem streaming HD over a wireless G connection. No dropouts. Smooth as silk. Any HD streams are going to be much lower bandwidth than 54mbs. OTA is no more than 19mbs. If it's using VC1 it will most likely be even lower.

53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3--32TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Old 03-14-2007, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

No, you can't stream internet streams. That was the original question.

There's Good TV, Better TV and DirecTV, but nothing beats a calibrated TV!!
www.clearlyresolved.com
Old 03-14-2007, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Is there anyway to do it (without an XBOX)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmschultz View Post

Old 03-14-2007, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Actually you can in media center.... only certain types though (windows streaming server streams). ive done it a few times on my system.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

HOw can you do this? I think the mlb.tv is a windows streaming server stream.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagouar View Post

Actually you can in media center.... only certain types though (windows streaming server streams). ive done it a few times on my system.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
first off you have to get the actual stream name off their service.... dont know if mlb does this but alot of services like this hide the feed url from you.

then create and file with an .asx extension.... you can use notepad but be sure to not save as txt. and place the following code in notepad.

author goes here

save that file to somewhere you have shared in media center and go into media center and play the file. it works for me in vista on an xbox360 so it is extender proof.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The original question was 'live video feed'...he didn't orignally specify the feed was internet and not cable/satellite/OTA.

Instead of the usual 2 minutes, give her 5 minutes of nothing but that Jeep ecstasy. She will be exhausted and fall right to sleep. You are now free to play.

Thats what I do.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

54mbs is more than enough. I have no problem streaming HD over a wireless G connection. No dropouts. Smooth as silk. Any HD streams are going to be much lower bandwidth than 54mbs. OTA is no more than 19mbs. If it's using VC1 it will most likely be even lower.

My problems must be more related to strength of signal than throughput...when I run a high def feed through the 360 as the exteder I get intermittent network issue errors. I ran the network test utility and it recommnded that I switch to 802.11a from 802.11g ( I have a netgear router that supports a/b/g) with no improvement. I never get all the signal bars but it's usually no less than half which I would assume is at least 27Mbps. the router is only one floor up and maybe 25 ft over from the 360 in the basement...don't know what is causing all the interference especially in the 5 GHz band (802.11a). I guess I could go with a MIMO router to improve the signal...but if I do I'll probably be limited to g or n. I may wait till microsoft offers an n spec adapter and make due till then...I really don't have a need to stream high-def content to the 360 (yet) ;-)

You mentioned the 360 can stream VC1 encoded feeds...are there any sources of VC1 encoded HD material outside of HD-DVDs?

Thats what I do.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked: 870
I said vc1 but I guess i meant windows media video.

53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3--32TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Old 03-14-2007, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I said vc1 but I guess i meant windows media video.

I'm sure alot of wmv files are VC-1 encoded...I was curious to know if there was a source of VC-1 encoded HD wmv files that I could try out. Actually I think I already have. The 1080 wmv files that microsoft offers (like the dolphins or flight fliles) do stream seemlessly.

Anyone know how to tell if a wmv file was VC-1 encoded?

Thats what I do.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The original question was 'live video feed'...he didn't orignally specify the feed was internet and not cable/satellite/OTA.

Acually, he did say the feed was from mlb.tv in his orignial post.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:36 PM

Quote:

True, but mlb.tv is a website, not a tv channel. He was (should have been) referring to streaming live games.

Enough with the PMs about the name...

Getting
Everything
Never
Implies
U are
Satisfied
Old 03-14-2007, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylebisme View Post

Acually, he did say the feed was from mlb.tv in his orignial post.

Thought I was addressing the original issue in my reply...never been to mlb.tv in my life...I thought it was shorthand or a premium channel (i.e. NFL network). My bad

Thats what I do.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Is there anyway to do it (without an XBOX)?

Dude have you even tried TVersity yet? I stream Video from the net to my Xbox360 all the time.. The Video is only 512k but the video is decent looking.. If it plays using WMP them right click on the video and hit properties and highlight the text in "Location" then use TVersity..

D.I.N.K

Double
Income
No
Kids
Old 03-14-2007, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I apologize for not being more clear in my original post. This process was started because Cox cable will not (likely) carry Extra Innings this year. I subscribed to major league's baseball internet package (mlb.tv) which streams live baseball games. For example, right now they are streaming the Yankee game and the location is listed as

mms://a362.l1086962323.c10869.g.lm.akamaistream.net/D/362/10869/v0001/reflector:62323?auth=ca.aib5doaod1dNdDdhbgahdtdGafdgaudx-bf.i4E-bA-3fkxjK9z-mfmbmkkhjjmkmejamej2mfjdkamajgmemcmfmdkfjamgmajc&aifp=v0004&ct5=14-Mar-07&ct1=mlb&ct3=8676703&ct4=mlb&ct6=70.176.114.232

I can't get this to play in tversity (let alone stream to my xbox). When I run it through tversity, I get a "the file is missing media usage rights" error message.

I am about ready to ditch this and subscribe to Direct TV (all according to their evil plan..... )
Old 03-14-2007, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Try this stream and see if this even works.. If it does then maybe MLB is protected..

http://www.gametrailers.com/streambu...:t_crush_3::m:

D.I.N.K

Double
Income
No
Kids
Old 03-15-2007, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

When I tried that link, it switched to the gametrailers main page. At least it actually "ran" so, I guess the mlb feed is somehow protected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post

Try this stream and see if this even works.. If it does then maybe MLB is protected..

http://www.gametrailers.com/streambu...:t_crush_3::m:

Old 03-15-2007, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I'd love to know if you can stream any of these to the Xbox 360. I'm talking about the new NetFlix movies on demand feature and the full episodes posted on the various network sites.

I've tried the Media Center Browser on the Xbox and can view video that's not protected or does not need a different 'player' such as the 2 minute show wrap-ups on NBC.com. However the full episodes do not play. Any ideas.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When I tried that link, it switched to the gametrailers main page. At least it actually "ran" so, I guess the mlb feed is somehow protected.

Go step by step when you want to stream a video file off the net to your 360 using TVersity.. I don't have MLBTV so I can't just try it myself... The link I provided should show a video and not the main page when ran in WMP..

Can you stream anything?

Try this one in TVersity and if it doesn't work you don't have a codec or the program installed right.

http://www.gametrailers.com/streambu...ness_story::m:

D.I.N.K

Double
Income
No
Kids
Old 03-15-2007, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well I have three tv tuners and one of them is HD. I stream, pause, record and control all of them wirelessly without a hitch.