Xbox 360 Elite (HDMI) Thread! - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 2409 Old 03-21-2007, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll buy it. I might keep the other one or trade it, can't decide. I'm not too crazy about black though. My HD-DVD player will stick out like a sore thumb. Wasn't there a pic about 2 weeks ago of a black HD-DVD drive that was a "gift" to the development team? Hmmmmmmmmm?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 2409 Old 03-21-2007, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber View Post

Not sure if I'd do this or not. If it is quieter than the one I got now (launch console here), I'd probably consider it.

This problem is already getting taken care of and you dont even have to get a new console...A patch will slow down the speed of the drive...Bad news is longer load times...Id rather turn my volume up a few notches.
post #33 of 2409 Old 03-21-2007, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVEN56706 View Post

really? where?

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...070&adid=17662

Quote:

you should cry about it a little more, i'm sure your complaints will have microsoft change their pricing schemes.

seriously, pay to play or shut the hell up. the 360 doesn't need that large of a drive anyway, not for 90% of it's users.

I really don't want to say anything here...you want to take it up the you know what and pay $200 for a 120 gb drive? be my guest.
post #34 of 2409 Old 03-21-2007, 11:07 AM

Why would an unconfirmed rumor be 'stickied'? Just curious, not flaming.

The ozone layer or cheese in a spray can? Don't make me choose
post #35 of 2409 Old 03-21-2007, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
A built in or included network adapter would be nice...would make the almost $500 price tag a lot nicer.
post #36 of 2409 Old 03-21-2007, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kysersose View Post

I'm going to allow this ONE thread to be the rumour thread. Until/IF MS announces something... there will be no new threads on this subject. Just this one...

This forum was getting swamped with them.

Kyser

Thanks for doing so Kyser! This keeps those who are interested in following this particular story from having to sort through all of the threads here where the "Elite" gets mentioned tangentially.

Most of us realize that this is rumor (albeit one that's looking more and more like fact as more widespread media sources weigh in on it), but it does allow for some good discussion. If Microsoft does indeed release this in late April, or May, it will be one of the stealthiest releases of such a major product change I've seen in console history!

"If the amount of views was how we judged the quality of a thread, then all we would have is a bunch of trolling fanboy threads."... Kysersose
post #37 of 2409 Old 03-21-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakesh.S View Post

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...070&adid=17662

I really don't want to say anything here...you want to take it up the you know what and pay $200 for a 120 gb drive? be my guest.

I won't be buying this HDD for any price, as the 20GB is just fine for me. When I download a demo, I can decide pretty quick whether I'm interested in the game or not, and just delete it. Videos aren't watched too often and I don't download TV shows or movies.

You shouldn't compare that drive to the 120GB, as that can't be used (currently) for the same purposes as the 360 HDD:

Game Saves
Demos
XBL TV Shows / Movies / Videos

I do hear where you're coming from though (In relation to price in general).

The upgrade is definitely worth it if you don't own one and ever planned to get a bigger HDD.

What's the complaining for really (not you, Rakesh.S)? Those 20GB will hit the used market at great prices!

Enough with the PMs about the name...

Getting
Everything
Never
Implies
U are
Satisfied
post #38 of 2409 Old 03-21-2007, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ.Cone View Post

No 65nm CPU no thank you. I would like a 360 thats quieter but HDMI means nothing to me until there is an affordable 1.3 HDMI switching receiver as my PS3 is using the only port anyway.

Frank,
I thought most HDMI switching receivers would do? The only thing the 1.3 brings to the table is carrying the new compressed digital sound formats (lossless and lossy). 1080p should still get passd through no problem and new sound formats can get passed as PCM.
-Evangelo2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBox/PS3/Steam/Origin ID:Evangelo2
post #39 of 2409 Old 03-21-2007, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I was under the impression that 1.3 added Deep Color and some other video improvements that while this gen of consoles/set top boxes will not support the next will. (Then again I might be reading too much propaganda!)

Frank J. Cone

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #40 of 2409 Old 03-21-2007, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

I thought the PS3 supported hdmi 1.3?
post #41 of 2409 Old 03-21-2007, 02:26 PM

I'll be buying one... this will be my third 360 . I think it's a respectable deal. Considering that there will be a limited supply of the black models, expect gamers to line up and prices on ebay to reach $1000 (just my prediction).

-Matt
GT: FRISKY MEECROB
post #42 of 2409 Old 03-21-2007, 02:34 PM

I'm not interested in one. I found this picture in case anyone wanted to see what it might look like.

post #43 of 2409 Old 03-21-2007, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

I like my white one better. Looks like someone took a can of spray paint to it. At least make it glossy.
post #44 of 2409 Old 03-21-2007, 02:42 PM

I've pre-ordered mine @ GameStop. $600 with Assassins Creed & Halo 3 Super Duty Exemplary Spartan Edition.

APRIL FOOLS!!!
post #45 of 2409 Old 03-21-2007, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 148
As an owner of the HD-DVD add on, I'm slightly intrigued by this version. The only reason I have any interest whatsoever, is because I'm thinking that I would be able to connect my HD-DVD add on to this version, and use the HDMI out to get the lossless audio on HD-DVD movies. Of course, I'm not 100 percent sure that this would actually even be possible. I'm assuming it would be, but I don't think it's a total given that this will translate into lossless sound for the add-on owners. The larger hard drive doesn't interest me in any way, and I'm a bit shocked that it doesn't include built in wireless.
post #46 of 2409 Old 03-21-2007, 03:07 PM

Ok, larger storage capacity is always welcomed, but is MS increasing the 50MB cap for Xbox Live Arcade games?
post #47 of 2409 Old 03-21-2007, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assasyn View Post

I'll buy it. I might keep the other one or trade it, can't decide. I'm not too crazy about black though. My HD-DVD player will stick out like a sore thumb. Wasn't there a pic about 2 weeks ago of a black HD-DVD drive that was a "gift" to the development team? Hmmmmmmmmm?

The rumor says that black Elite is a limited edition of a few hundred k units; say a month or two of sales, after which (E3 in july?) this becomes the default Premium config in white for $399.

That sound more reasonable, children? ;-)
post #48 of 2409 Old 03-21-2007, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denze View Post

Ok, larger storage capacity is always welcomed, but is MS increasing the 50MB cap for Xbox Live Arcade games?

Already done, when they announced the 512Mb memory cards two weeks ago.
post #49 of 2409 Old 03-21-2007, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyMelon View Post

Why would an unconfirmed rumor be 'stickied'? Just curious, not flaming.

Not really a rumor.... To be on the cover of this months Game Informer Magazine

http://www.gameinformer.com/NR/exere...EBA64ACB99.htm

Xbox 360 To Get HDMI Support, Larger Drive
by Jeff Cork
POSTED: 3/21/2007 12:09 PM

As reported in the April issue of Game Informer Magazine, Microsoft is preparing a new revision to the Xbox 360's hardware. According to the source within the company, the new version is poised to take advantage of the console's popularity as a media-delivery system. The revision will pack HDMI output and a 120 GB hard drive in a black case, and it includes an HDMI cable and black game controller. The system will not support HD-DVD playback, however, though owners can purchase an add-on HD-DVD drive for $199.99. If you already own an Xbox 360 and are drooling over all that hard-drive space, fear not. When the new system debuts at the end of April, the new drive will be available separately for less than $200.

Since the issue went to press, some new developments have come to light. Engadget is reporting that the new system will be called the Xbox 360 Elite, and it will cost $479. The first run will be limited, and subsequent systems will revert to the traditional white case. Eventually, the Xbox Premium will be phased out in favor of the Elite, which could be as soon as this summer.

We'll keep you posted with more information as it becomes available.

Loserland
post #50 of 2409 Old 03-21-2007, 03:37 PM

So from what I have been reading, the new processor for the Xbox 360 based on a 65nm die process will be out sometime 3rd quarter of this year.Does this mean the Elite will have the current 90nm processor or the 65nm?
post #51 of 2409 Old 03-21-2007, 03:54 PM

There are some popular myths that gets repeated over and over again, based more on market hype and misinformed feeling, rather than actual rational thought. Hence the following rant.

The upscaling DVD feature (that people so often list as a must have or highly desirable function) is for most people a complete waste of time, or at worst, a negative. LCD/Plasma TV's have a fixed number of pixels, otherwise known as native resolution. It doesn't matter what input resolution they receive, it must be upscaled to the native resolution prior to display.

When you ask your TV to tell you what scale the input source is (eg: 480i/p, or 576i/p if you are in New Zealand like me) that is all it is telling you: What the input scale is. Upscaling the image prior to input into the TV does not promise a better picture, unless (1) Your TV has a crap scaler (2) The source device has a better scaler than your TV. You also need to consider that very few TV's have true 720/1080 native resolution, meaning that if the TV receives an upscaled 720/1080 image, it will still need to scale it up/down to it's true native resolution. This means the picture you are watching is actually being scaled multiple-times, and in my opinion, that is likely to result in a poorer picture, rather than a better one. Although some scalers are very advanced (I understand the scaler that comes with XBMC is very good and claimed to be as good or better than what most TV's can do) we should face the facts that what is most important is the level of detail in the source material. If you really want High Def, get HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. Otherwise, accept that what you are watching is DVD, and assuming your TV is good at what it does, it will be making the best of the input signal you are feeding it. You should also consider the concept of "work distribution". Since games machines are often pushed beyond breaking point in terms of CPU requirements, why would we further burden the system with upscaling demands when your TV does it anyway? This is why for most 360 owners, 720p output is the best choice, especially given nearly all games support that resolution natively.

Next point is the obsession with pixel-count, as if that was the most important factor regarding picture quality. Not even close. The most important factor regarding picture quality is colour depth and accuracy. That is why a quality 42 inch Plasma (which is limited to a maximum resolution of 1024 * 768) will typically hand an equivalent LCD TV with much higher resolution it's a*se on a plate. In fact, for graphic's professionals, the science of "colour quantization" (ie scaling a image down/up in terms of it's colour depth) is regarded as a critical technology to producing the best picture possible. This was well known back in the old days when a game developer had to choose between writing a PC VGA game that ran at 320*200 at 256 colours, vs 640*400 at 16 colours. Even disregarding performance benefits (of a lower resolution) 320*200 was nearly always the best choice (depending on the style of game) because it "looked" better. Bottom line, the technology surrounding colour is more important than resolution. Technology professionals know that, but the features surrounding the technology cannot be easily conveyed by a set of simple numbers, so it's much harder to market than pixel counts to the fickle masses. (BTW 1024*768 4:3 which is not wide-screen 16:9. The Wide-screen aspect is achieved by making the pixels egg shaped rather than perfectly round)

To be honest, I think it would be great if you could choose to run 360 games at native 480p, if for no other reason than allow the customer to enjoy a game that has a truly smooth frame-rate and less load times (less data to load for lower res bitmaps). Specifically, I suspect that as beautiful as Oblivion looks, I might enjoy the game more if it ran smooth and fast. In other words, let the consumer decide what is more important, the latest uber-shading technology, or a game that is fast and responsive. Unfortunately, this is marketing suicide, because M$ and $ony have spent a small fortune selling the next gen based on hi def pixel counts, even though their new hardware actually struggles to move this amount of data around and retain optimal frame-rates.

Lastly, about the new 360, it seems like step by step, the machine is looking more like a PS3 (spec wise). However, the horse has already bolted, and they can't address the fundamental issue that stops the 360 being a thorough-bred Hi Def system. They chose to go with DVD as their media delivery mechanism, and in terms of games, that is what they are stuck with, unless they decide to launch the Xbox 720, which they may do, once the war between HD DVD and Blu Ray is over. That's going to take a long time, because both these formats are fighting the wrong enemy (although to $ony's credit, they decided to hang their balls out and truly back one). DVD remains king, and will do for quite some time to come. Unlike the VHS to DVD transition, neither of the next gen formats offer the same step up in terms of features and performance that the last transition did (anyone remember having to rewind your tapes before taking them back to the video-store?) DVD is cheap as chips, and delivers good quality picture and excellent surround sound capabilities. The fact that it's easy to copy, and can also be used to record TV/Videos in a cost effective fashion, leaves me with the inevitable conclusion that consumers are not going to get a sufficient "hard-on" for the new formats in order to start opening their wallets on mass for a quite a few years yet.
post #52 of 2409 Old 03-21-2007, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wonderful View Post

The price point is a little ridiculous, though I like how the package is all shaping up. But the higher price point just makes me think more of whether I should go with a PS3 or a 360. It's a decision that's only getting harder.

They are not doing this for those that are trying to make that choice. They are doing this for people like me who need a V2 Media Center extender with an HDMI port on it so badly that we would pay the standard X360 cost and the $80 and not even think about it. If these were in stores now, I would have been there at 10AM when one of my local retailers opened the doors this AM with $$ in hand.....
post #53 of 2409 Old 03-21-2007, 04:29 PM

Kotaku posted some scans from the magazine:
http://kotaku.com/gaming/top/game-ma...ing-245472.php

No word on if it will use the 65nm processors, but probably not since that wasn't expected before Q3.
post #54 of 2409 Old 03-21-2007, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eimajnacnud View Post

I like my white one better. Looks like someone took a can of spray paint to it. At least make it glossy.

I think it looks great. Very stealth-like, not just aping the PS3. And no fingerprints.
post #55 of 2409 Old 03-21-2007, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

i want the 65nm. my mouth was salavating at news of the elite, as i got a 56" 1080p set and i WANT HDMI, but my launch 360 recently died and i won't make the same mistake again.
post #56 of 2409 Old 03-21-2007, 06:06 PM

how much can you trade the 360 in for because i would want the new elite for the hdmi port but i dont need two 360's
post #57 of 2409 Old 03-21-2007, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Try selling it first as you will get raped at trade in.
post #58 of 2409 Old 03-21-2007, 06:48 PM
rto
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla rice View Post

i want the 65nm. my mouth was salavating at news of the elite, as i got a 56" 1080p set and i WANT HDMI, but my launch 360 recently died and i won't make the same mistake again.

I don't think this SKU makes sense whatsoever without 65nm, and a price point of $399. Instead of the same feature-set for less money, it would be more for the same. Tacking on features at a higher price, is a page out of Sony's book. How's that been working out?
post #59 of 2409 Old 03-21-2007, 08:14 PM

well if MS figures out how to fix the over heating problem ..i might consider buying it...maybe put a cooling liquid in it lol like alienware ha ha

GT: ZIZO79
post #60 of 2409 Old 03-21-2007, 08:24 PM

I think everyone here has a great point. The new 360 is geared towards the diehard fanboys who want the latest and greatest only, regardless of cost.

Most of these new devices like blue-ray and HDDVD are mostly a waste and rite now the market is looking for any device to accompany the new HDTV we all bought or wanna buy. And by waste i mean still an early adopter purchase. Thats why this so called format war hasnt been decided yet. you know why...b/c most consumers dont care who wins when the products are to expensive either way.

So of course MS would come out with a new 360 to pacify the HDTV masses fanboys.. what else would go great with an new HDTV then a NEW 360 with all the hyped up stuff we really dont care bout. Honestly how much better is a game really gonna look with HDMI. Ive spent countless hours drooling in BB and CC and yes PS3 and 360 look geat over the HD connections. But am i gonna spend a couple hundred more to replace what i know looks damn good already.Am i gonna buy new 360 for its bigger HDD.....NO

Go to newegg and price a laptop HDD and ull get a 120GB for like $120. The 200GB ull get from MS will prob only be 140gb anyway after its preloaded with crap.. And ofcourse with there new Live movie DLs they have to try and pimp out that system with something like a bigger HDD to store all those movies i am not gonna DL. Kinda weird how they push there movie DLs over live and also have a HD DVD player also. how much $$ do you think i have MS?

And if you want a black 360, go to decalgirl and buy a freakin skin.. it looks exactly the same.

So this new 360 is a waste of time. they should focus on how can we make this product CHEAPER for the consumer base. Not just the highend FANBOYS thatll buy anything. And to many different 360 systems will just confuse the consumer.

If you wanna make me love my 360 even more then i do. Make it a real Media Center dont strip it of its potential. Give me the ability to play anything i want. BUT WHY WOULD MS DO THAT. Its not like they ever listen to the consumers.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page