Xbox 360 Elite (HDMI) Thread! - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2409 Old 03-26-2007, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
technically its not official, but i dont see any possible way it wont come, and soon.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2409 Old 03-26-2007, 08:51 PM

Liked: 10
I want it more for the HDMI than the space, although extra space never hurts! I will wait until the Elite becomes Premium because I like the white better.

[Samsung HL-S5087W 50" 1080p DLP HDTV]
[Xbox 360 and HD DVD player connected via VGA]
[Belkin PureAV AP20800-10 Conditioner and UPS]
post #183 of 2409 Old 03-26-2007, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

i do realize they are putting HDMI on this 360 for the soon to be IPTV and the Media Center hungry peepz, but to charge $480 for this system?! geezuz...i know its only $80 bucks more than the current "premium" but it sure makes the PS3 a lot more attractive...sure you dont get as big of a HDD but you dont really need a bigger HDD for the PS3...at least not yet, and if you ever did need more space you can go buy any hard drive you choose...hell you can buy a 500 gig HDD for $150 at FRYS.COM...thats more than three times the space of the MS HDD for even less money.

i could see paying almost $500, well after tax over $500 but anywho...i could see paying that much if they were to include HD DVD...i mean comn, they have an add on drive but wont include it internally? or hell...if they absolutely wont do it internally, which they obviously are totally against, include the add on with it...but then you have an HDMI port that is capable of transmitting lossless audio but because the add on doesnt have HDMI your stuck with out it...but even with the lossless audio aside if they were to include the add on with this so called "elite" edition they would have an absolute jugernaut on their hands...what would Sony be able to tout about their PS3 then? just about nothing.

ohh ohh ohh the missed oportunitys MS!
post #184 of 2409 Old 03-26-2007, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla rice View Post

why do people keep thinking they're entitled to something from MS for buying the first 360? did anyone force them to buy it? what is this mentality people have that they're entitled to everything? do ipod buyers want some trade in program when there's a new model out every year? the 360 was probably built pretty crap, resulting in overheating, but there's a 1 year warranty. if it breaks in 366 days, complain to your mom and go buy a PS3. or try to sue MS. but has there ever been an instance of a CE maker doing a hardware trade-in program when a newer model comes out?

Because Microsoft tells the world $600 is way too expensive and then turn around and ask you to spend another $479 for HDMI, a bigger HDD and IPTV.

So, yeah, nobody is forced to buy the Elite, just as no one is forced to buy a PS3 or a Wii. Still, there will be 10M of first-year adopters left with the option of owning the less up-to-date and prone-to-failure older model.
I am sure you are excited about this option.

And know one thing, the second-hand market for the older model is going to collapse as soon as Microsoft releases the news officially. So, if you are lucky, you may still be able to sell your older model for $150-$200, after the news is officially out, it'll be $50-$100.
post #185 of 2409 Old 03-26-2007, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

good for me, i'd love to have a second 360 in the bedroom, especially for 100 bucks.

i dont know why everyone is crying about the "early adopters" getting "screwed"

you make it sound like if there was no update or no elite, that things would be different. either way you look at it you'd be stuck with a "less up to date, prone to failure" 360.

times change, technology changes, accept it and move on or cry yourself to sleep at night, not everyone wants to read about it.

and this isnt directed at you dralt, just everyone in general.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #186 of 2409 Old 03-26-2007, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd View Post

good for me, i'd love to have a second 360 in the bedroom, especially for 100 bucks.

i dont know why everyone is crying about the "early adopters" getting "screwed"

you make it sound like if there was no update or no elite, that things would be different. either way you look at it you'd be stuck with a "less up to date, prone to failure" 360.

times change, technology changes, accept it and move on or cry yourself to sleep at night, not everyone wants to read about it.

and this isnt directed at you dralt, just everyone in general.

Of course, you are right. Microsoft acquired a very loyal fan base and they should be free to do whatever they want with it.
In the current state of affairs, they can get away with things that would cause Sony mountains of terrible publicity.

As far as I am concerned, I don't mind them doing whatever they want.
I would like a much quieter 360, but my only HDMI port is currently assigned to my PS3, so that doesn't square well until I have a fancy receiver that can HDMI-switch without problem.
post #187 of 2409 Old 03-26-2007, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko1290 View Post

so is the elite official or not?

The Sydney Morning Herald reports that Microsoft Australia is planning to issue an announcement on Wednesday on this.

"If the amount of views was how we judged the quality of a thread, then all we would have is a bunch of trolling fanboy threads."... Kysersose
post #188 of 2409 Old 03-26-2007, 10:41 PM

The new update isn't that bad. I don't see people complaining every time Nintend releases an update to there handhelds do you?

I will be getting the elite because my replacement 360 is already starting to show signs of failure. It'll free up every once in awhile just like my old one.
post #189 of 2409 Old 03-27-2007, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralt View Post

Because Microsoft tells the world $600 is way too expensive and then turn around and ask you to spend another $479 for HDMI, a bigger HDD and IPTV.

So, yeah, nobody is forced to buy the Elite, just as no one is forced to buy a PS3 or a Wii. Still, there will be 10M of first-year adopters left with the option of owning the less up-to-date and prone-to-failure older model.
I am sure you are excited about this option.

And know one thing, the second-hand market for the older model is going to collapse as soon as Microsoft releases the news officially. So, if you are lucky, you may still be able to sell your older model for $150-$200, after the news is officially out, it'll be $50-$100.

In marketing/pr terms $479 is still less than $600.

In any case, I believe we will not see used xbox360s for sub $100 for at least another 2-3years. Just checking craigslist right now shows that original xbox1 systems can still fetch around $100. Over $200 if it's modded. How old is that system now? Prem 360s are still fetching around $300+ used today.

If anything, the price of the original xbox360s may see an increase in price on the used market if the new xbox360 w/ HDMI has new dvd drives that can't be modded like the original 360s.
post #190 of 2409 Old 03-27-2007, 01:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Wired Editor Chris Kohler reports that Microsoft will announce the XBox 360 Elite on Wednesday. He has been extended an opportunity to interview Xbox hardware team manager Albert Penello regarding it.

Wired reports Elite Announcement to come Wednesday

"If the amount of views was how we judged the quality of a thread, then all we would have is a bunch of trolling fanboy threads."... Kysersose
post #191 of 2409 Old 03-27-2007, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourDoor View Post

In marketing/pr terms $479 is still less than $600.

In mathematical terms even!

If this is a new "permanent" SKU then $479 is crazy. If its a limited run for fans then you would expect to pay a "premium" for it.

With a 120G notebook HDD going for $80-$100 it appears MS doe not want to lose $$$ on the system (Aren't they paying a $15 licensing fee for HDMI?)

Who can blame them for not wanting to lose money on hardware? They already did that to build there brand. It would suck to expect stockholders to pay to build the brand all over again

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #192 of 2409 Old 03-27-2007, 06:14 AM

Notebook hard drives are cheap. I upgraded my 20 gig "other console" to a 120 gig 8 meg cache SATA notebook drive for $82.99. They are cheap but all companies like to make money. I personally like HDMI and I bet a nice group might buy it for that depending on what TV they have.
post #193 of 2409 Old 03-27-2007, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

At $479, the Xbox 360 Elite will still be cheaper than Sony's $499 20-gigabyte PlayStation 3 and the $599 60-gigabyte PS 3. But it will match the Sony box with the HDMI connector feature.

uh, why didn't they factor in the price of the HD-DVD add-on. And don't tell me its marketing, this quote is coming from the mercurynews.com link, not MS PR. All of a sudden MS feels HDMI is so important that they can over charge for it. Sure MS "match the Sony box with the HDMI connector feature" but where is HD-DVD at that price...

PSN: UndeadREDD

My Racing Seat

post #194 of 2409 Old 03-27-2007, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Mapstone View Post

uh, why didn't they factor in the price of the HD-DVD add-on. And don't tell me its marketing, this quote is coming from the mercurynews.com link, not MS PR. All of a sudden MS feels HDMI is so important that they can over charge for it. Sure MS "match the Sony box with the HDMI connector feature" but where is HD-DVD at that price...

Its got a 100G Larger HDD and 360 games do not require a BR or HD DVD drive for games so why put one in? BR and HD DVD are niche products and will be until the next round of consoles. It plays the disk thats 99% of the market. Seems to be OK for a gamesystem to me. The 360 supports HD downloads out of the box, with the 120G HDD it seems thats where MS wants you to get you HD. (And from all reports the business is booming)

Frank J. Cone

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #195 of 2409 Old 03-27-2007, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Again, so much emotion for a little box with circuits. Unbelievable!

Why the outrage? As several folks have already mentioned, I don't recall MS forcing anyone to buy the "Elite." If you want IPTV next fall or Spring 2008, you may need to buy it but how many of you really want IPTV? Again, is anyone forcing you to switch to IPTV?

So, I have a few questions:

Do you really, really need HDMI?

Do you really, really need a bigger hard drive?

Do you really, really need a black Xbox?

Do you think you may switch over to IPTV in the next 10-15 months?

Do you want the Elite so your friends with the PS3 will stop making fun of you, calling you names like "your console doesn't have HDMI...you are such a loser."

If you answered yes to any of the above questions, buy the Elite and stop complaining.

If you answered no to the above questions there is no need to buy the Elite so stop complaining.

post #196 of 2409 Old 03-27-2007, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

So, I have a few questions:

Quote:

Do you really, really need HDMI?

No--only one input on my TV and my cable goes through it---720p/1080i is all my TV does so HDMI is useless for me.

Quote:

Do you really, really need a bigger hard drive?

Nope still have 7-8 GB of free space. I delete most content when I am not using it anymore and the media center abilities of the 360 means I can keep all my music, videos and photos on my computer.

Quote:

Do you really, really need a black Xbox?

Looks nice but don't "need" it.

Quote:

Do you think you may switch over to IPTV in the next 10-15 months?

I've heard about the service but can't see myself switching to IPTV as my main source of TV. I don't know what the pricing of this will be but the current TV downloads are more expensive than my cable's on demand programming.

Do you want the Elite so your friends with the PS3 will stop making fun of you, calling you names like "your console doesn't have HDMI...you are such a loser." I know one person who owns a PS3 and he uses his 360 more.

That being said, the Elite isn't for me but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate them offering it to those whose alley it might be up.

Xbox 360 Gamertag: MisterxboxNJ
post #197 of 2409 Old 03-27-2007, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveyD4vey View Post

i do realize they are putting HDMI on this 360 for the soon to be IPTV and the Media Center hungry peepz, but to charge $480 for this system?! geezuz...i know its only $80 bucks more than the current "premium" but it sure makes the PS3 a lot more attractive...sure you dont get as big of a HDD but you dont really need a bigger HDD for the PS3...at least not yet, and if you ever did need more space you can go buy any hard drive you choose...hell you can buy a 500 gig HDD for $150 at FRYS.COM...thats more than three times the space of the MS HDD for even less money.

i could see paying almost $500, well after tax over $500 but anywho...i could see paying that much if they were to include HD DVD...i mean comn, they have an add on drive but wont include it internally? or hell...if they absolutely wont do it internally, which they obviously are totally against, include the add on with it...but then you have an HDMI port that is capable of transmitting lossless audio but because the add on doesnt have HDMI your stuck with out it...but even with the lossless audio aside if they were to include the add on with this so called "elite" edition they would have an absolute jugernaut on their hands...what would Sony be able to tout about their PS3 then? just about nothing.

ohh ohh ohh the missed oportunitys MS!

the add on technically WILL have HDMI. you don't output the HDDVD directly to your display, it's routed through the main system via usb.

loving my completed home theater. :)
post #198 of 2409 Old 03-27-2007, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie97L View Post

the add on technically WILL have HDMI. you don't output the HDDVD directly to your display, it's routed through the main system via usb.

The bandwidth limitations of USB 2.0 renders HDMI useless.

Which makes me think Microsoft might put a HD-DVD drive in the Elite.
post #199 of 2409 Old 03-27-2007, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

The bandwidth of HD DVD and BR are below USB 2.0 Dralt. What the bandwidth of HDMI is is irrelevant.

Frank J. Cone

post #200 of 2409 Old 03-27-2007, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Is the new xbox going to be able to produce Lossless sound with the HD DVD addon?
post #201 of 2409 Old 03-27-2007, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ.Cone View Post

The bandwidth of HD DVD and BR are below USB 2.0 Dralt. What the bandwidth of HDMI is is irrelevant.

HDMI 1.3 = 340 MHz (10.2 Gbps)
USB 2.0 = Up to 480 Mbit/s (if you are very lucky)
USB 2.0 into HDMI 1.3 = Up to 480 Mbit/s (if you are very lucky)

Latency and bandwidth are related, however.
While you may not care about bandwidth, you must care about latency.

Others would tell you USB is unsuitable for uncompressed HD audio and video, due to erratic bandwidth and latency performance.
I have not researched that claim.
post #202 of 2409 Old 03-27-2007, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralt View Post

HDMI 1.3 = 340 MHz (10.2 Gbps)
USB 2.0 = Up to 480 Mbit/s (if you are very lucky)
USB 2.0 into HDMI 1.3 = Up to 480 Mbit/s (if you are very lucky)

Latency and bandwidth are related, however.
While you may not care about bandwidth, you must care about latency.

Others would tell you USB is unsuitable for uncompressed HD audio and video, due to erratic bandwidth and latency performance.
I have not researched that claim.

And that speed for USB2 is only a burst speed. Sustained rates are much lower.

Steam/XBL/PSN: thejokell
post #203 of 2409 Old 03-27-2007, 12:45 PM

I'm more puzzled as to why they didn't include the wifi adapter, or have it built in. Thankfully my 360 broke and I got a new one, and MS sent me mine for free, because I think $99 is a little steep.
post #204 of 2409 Old 03-27-2007, 12:51 PM

I asked this very question back a few months ago in the HD-DVD Player section. I was told there is no problems with USB passing that info. Is USB a digital or analog cable? Digital I'm guessing.

Does that mean you will have lag on your audio?

To me it seems that the USB is the weakest link in chain.
post #205 of 2409 Old 03-27-2007, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baller4ever85 View Post

I'm more puzzled as to why they didn't include the wifi adapter, or have it built in. Thankfully my 360 broke and I got a new one, and MS sent me mine for free, because I think $99 is a little steep.

from what i've read it's because the 360 wireless card is A/B/G which is more expensive than the b/g cards.
post #206 of 2409 Old 03-27-2007, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 142
allI want is a more reliable system that I can buy stuff for without fear that I'm throwing my money away on a system that'll only give me 3 annoying red lights at any moments time.
post #207 of 2409 Old 03-27-2007, 01:16 PM

^^
They are 2 pages back in this thread.
post #208 of 2409 Old 03-27-2007, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I too am concerned about the USB being able to pass lossless audio which is by FAR the most important reason to upgrade to a HDMI Xbox. If you are already reaping the benefits of lossless audio over the PS3 then you know what I'm talking about.
post #209 of 2409 Old 03-27-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady84 View Post

I too am concerned about the USB being able to pass lossless audio which is by FAR the most important reason to upgrade to a HDMI Xbox. If you are already reaping the benefits of lossless audio over the PS3 then you know what I'm talking about.

exactly!! Which is why I want HDMI for lossless abilities with my current non-elite 360. I would also hope if true that game developers would start to take advantage.
post #210 of 2409 Old 03-27-2007, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady84 View Post

Lossless audio can be passed over USB1.1 (well, 2 channel, but still). USB2 can easily handle 7 tracks of lossless audio, the question is whether or not it can handle that AND video at the same time.

Steam/XBL/PSN: thejokell
Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page