post #91 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius74 View Post

Anyone paying $70 for 12-monh Live access, is overpaying. Period.

Hey PS3 fan boy. Go back to your forum. Oh wait. There is nothing exciting going on in the PS3 forum. They don't even have a game in the top 10. BTW 13 months live for $39.99 at newegg.

"220. 221. Whatever it takes."
XBOX360 GamerTag: BoomerBrian
BoomerBrian's Killer HT on a Shoestring Budget!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

The most dramatic announcement Microsoft could make, imo, is a dual-tuner CableCard add-on (based on ATI OCUR) for the Xbox360 Elite.

That would allow the Xbox360 Elite to function as a full-fledged DVR for any cable provider.

The point of the IPTV annoucement at CES was to allow DVR functionality built into the system.
post #93 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerBrian View Post

Hey PS3 fan boy. Go back to your forum. Oh wait. There is nothing exciting going on in the PS3 forum. They don't even have a game in the top 10. BTW 13 months live for $39.99 at newegg.

So then are you a 360 fanboy??? Why do people not understand that having Sony, MS, and Nintendo battling for the console marketplace supremacy is a good thing for us as gamers?

PSN & Xbox 360 Gamertag: dboss007
post #94 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 12:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

The point of the IPTV annoucement at CES was to allow DVR functionality built into the system.

Yes, to push Microsoft's own software and infrastructure for IPTV delivery.

Microsoft's IPTV solutions aren't compatible with any of the major cable operators in the United States. For the forseeable future, most US cable operators will rely exclusively on QAM modulation for channel delivery. To support those services with DVR capability, Microsoft would need to introduce and support an external OpenCable 1.0/2.0 tuner with the Xbox360. They have not yet announced any intention to do so.

Windows Vista Media Center supports CableCard DVR functionality, and they've got plenty of experience working with ATI on the "OCUR" CableCard solution for Vista. Will they leverage that experience with the Xbox360? Or do they feel like Apple does, that DVR functionality would just compete with their own direct sale of Internet-delivered video (in Apple's case, iTunes).
post #95 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by todrigo View Post

$479.00 Elite for gaming + $199.00 HD player for movies + $70 Live subsciption for online = $749.00

$499.00 PS3 for gaming + $80.00 200GB Ext. HDD (buy.com) + $6 6ft HDMI (monoprice.com) + $0 Blu-ray player for movies + $0 Online Access = $586.00

thats as close to an apples to apples comparison as this will get. If the soft advantages of Live and Marketplace are worth $163.00 up front then you have an even race.

IN the NOW:
$399 for Premium Xbox 360 and $50 for yearly live subscription. Tons of games to choose from. You can't watch any HD-Disc content on this system, but you can download HD content from LIVE. Full movies, TV shows.

$499 for PS3 with very few games and you can download some trailers and game demos, but you can watch the rapidly increasing selection of BD Discs. Online friend-list/gaming/interaction is as bare bones as they could get and still say they have "free online".

Now, if you want to talk about movies, the PS3 is the better deal...HD-DVD isn't really an option at this point. If you want to talk about games, the PS3 isn't really an option at this point since every major title is either coming to both systems, or has been pushed back to infinity.

But you don't need an Elite to view HD, M$ has more downloadable HD content than there are BD discs at this point.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #96 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboss View Post

So then are you a 360 fanboy??? Why do people not understand that having Sony, MS, and Nintendo battling for the console marketplace supremacy is a good thing for us as gamers?

dboss, Go back and reread the reply. It has nothing to do with the console war. You are right. Let them battle it out. It has to do with fan boys making fan boy comments so they can prove their consoles are better. I could care less about which one is better but don't come in here and tell me live cost $70 for 12 months just so you can justify your purchase.

post #97 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
U sure he wasn't just inferring that 12 months of Live can be had for less than that in stores? I know I see the subscription on sale alot.

Gamertag: Quicksilver1663
PSN: ujustshaturpants
post #98 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

dboss, Go back and reread the reply. It has nothing to do with the console war. You are right. Let them battle it out. It has to do with fan boys making fan boy comments so they can prove their consoles are better. I could care less about which one is better but don't come in here and tell me live cost $70 for 12 months just so you can justify your purchase.

I think his point is that you made a fanboy'ish retort by mocking the PS3.

PSN / Steam - KrimsonStudios
post #99 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

He was responding to a post by 'todrigo' which indicated a price of $70 for live. If that guy is a fanboy, he's really only off by $20. I don't think that someone being off by $20 merited a slam on the PS3 forums or the PS3 in general. People just need to chill out.

post #100 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson View Post

I think his point is that you made a fanboy'ish retort by mocking the PS3.

Exactly. Thanks!

post #101 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:

He was responding to a post by 'todrigo' which indicated a price of $70 for live. If that guy is a fanboy, he's really only off by $20. I don't think that someone being off by $20 merited a slam on the PS3 forums or the PS3 in general. People just need to chill out.

I dunno. I see that same comparison (add in all the XBox 360 extras to add up to more than the PS3) done all the time, and it always reeks of fanboyism. Though this guy at least didn't add in 4 years of live, like most people do.

Josh - GamerTag: ShapeGSX PSN: ShapeGSX
'97 Eclipse GSX - 11.825@117.55mph in the 1/4
post #102 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 12:27 PM

Here is what I did. Flipped a coin last year. Luckily it came up tails. Got my first 360 premium. A few months later was going to buy a media extender. Decided to spend the little extra for another premium. A few months later bought one for a friend for his birthday. Was going to buy a premium but couldn't find one. So good for me saved the money. Friend was happy. Then had to decide between $40 for a memory unit or $100 for hard drive. Then had to decide on second controller, wired or wireless. Spent the $10 extra for wireless. Then$20 for hd cable.

This example shows why Microsoft has said they would not be getting rid of core unit. Some people may not have the money to get the premium, (have hard time saving)
And will piece meal it. So it is good for Microsoft.

For those who can afford, will go with the premium rather than buy the parts seperate. Now they have a 3rd option.

If anyone has listened to majornelson's podcast today. Part of it is marketing and part of it makes business since. The average consumer doesn't go online to buy a $7 hdmi cable. They drive to Best Buy and buy the overpriced one. The example in podcase was the average price of an external self powered notebook external was around $160 in stores. Plus if you add the core plus bigger hard drive you get the $479 price.

I might buy the Elite and put my main one in my media room. I use the media center feature quite a bit.
Definitely have gotten my moneys worth out of both.
post #103 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

the big rumor making the rounds is that they will announce gta4 exclusivity...

of course if the previous rumors about microsoft buying take 2 outright prove true, that would have the same effect...

i guess we'll find out tonight

---Mr. Met---

J-E-T-S-JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO DE-VILS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO METS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO NETS!!!!!!!
post #104 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

dboss, Thanks for pointing that out. I did slam the wrong guy. todrigo is who it was aimed towards. Below is the snippet he was reffering too. I consider it fanboy because when quoting the Sony items he took the cheapest route and when quoting M$ he didn't. Also anyone who owns an XBOX and XBL would have known how much 12 months of live would cost.

Quote:

$479.00 Elite for gaming + $199.00 HD player for movies + $70 Live subsciption for online = $749.00

$499.00 PS3 for gaming + $80.00 200GB Ext. HDD (buy.com) + $6 6ft HDMI (monoprice.com) + $0 Blu-ray player for movies + $0 Online Access = $586.00

post #105 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post

I dunno. I see that same comparison (add in all the XBox 360 extras to add up to more than the PS3) done all the time, and it always reeks of fanboyism. Though this guy at least didn't add in 4 years of live, like most people do.

I would agree. Depending on your point-of-view you can make the numbers work however you would like. I could probably make the 60GB PS3 look cheaper than the Wii if I wanted to. I don't want to try though because that would be pretty hard.

Its really all in the features, which you care about and which ones you don't, and everybody has different opinions. I just don't think that by being off of a price by $20 means that someone is a fanboy.

post #106 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbain View Post

the big rumor making the rounds is that they will announce gta4 exclusivity...

of course if the previous rumors about microsoft buying take 2 outright prove true, that would have the same effect...

i guess we'll find out tonight

I don't know. If this were the case, I'm on the fence about this one. I'm not sure GTA has the same drawing power that it once did. After playing GTA, GTA VC, and GTA SA it just seems like a 'been there, done that type thing'. Although, that's pretty easy to say without seeing any screenshots or actual gameplay footage.

post #107 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcats View Post

I concur. If you do not already own an Xbox 360, this is a great deal.

Dunno about a 'great' deal when the 20gb PS3 (if you can find it) is only $20 more and it can playback BD.

Honestly I like the color options, and a bigger HDD and HDMI are spanky. Personally I have use for neither, but they were becoming necessary, especially for those that want to leverage the most out of HD DVD add-on and download services. Too bad you need to replace your base console unit to do so.

I would have waited for the 65nm chips myself, no idea why they didn't wait for that.

Net, net I'm very 'meh' about the annoucement. Just not too impressed with the price-point mostly. I would have thought they would have just upped the premium with new hardware and kept the price the same while offering the bigger HDD in retail and the choice of colors and accessories to new buyers. But apparently MS thinks they can milk some more money out of folks that think this in some way is still a better deal than the PS3 at its pricepoint(s).
post #108 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

IMO, the only thing you mentioned that the PS3 is sure not to have, besides the HDMI and component cables, which is inconsequential IMO since you can get an HDMI cable for $5 at Monoprice, is the 100GB of extra hard drive space. I think when given the choice people would prefer to pick-up the hi-def disc drive rather than an extra 100GB of space. The hi-def drive is a more marketable piece of hardware.

I wouldn't even care about the HDDsize on the 360 if they'd allow USB/network storage of marketplace content. You can already go backwards (and does a better job of the streaming than the PS3 at this moment in time anyway). It's extremely irritating MS hasn't enabled the other way, even in the likes of Vista. Even with a larger HDD now available, the price is total sodomy. Rare points to Sony for allowing their customers the freedom to upgrade HDD space as they see fit.
post #109 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The most dramatic announcement Microsoft could make, imo, is a dual-tuner CableCard add-on (based on ATI OCUR) for the Xbox360 Elite.

That would allow the Xbox360 Elite to function as a full-fledged DVR for any cable provider.

that would certianly have been cool, but you'd still want a bigger HDD, or the ability to record to external devices...
post #110 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 01:29 PM

I love that I can take my 360 back to Costco and buy the Elite. I'll take the sacrifice of losing a crappy game, 1 controller, and a quick charge kit. The 360 bundle is the same price as the Elite so i won't be losing any $$$. I'm excited!

Gonna have to spray my HD DVD drive black now

Xbox Live & PSN: talyler
post #111 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:

I would agree. Depending on your point-of-view you can make the numbers work however you would like. I could probably make the 60GB PS3 look cheaper than the Wii if I wanted to. I don't want to try though because that would be pretty hard.

Easy:

PS3 60GB includes Blu-Ray: $599
Wii plus Blu-Ray $499 (PS3 20GB): $749

What makes it easy is that everyone has to throw in the HD add-on for the 360 comparison since HD movie disc playback is "required" to play games for some reason. You just have to do the same thing for the Wii!

post #112 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Its people like you doing that type of BS that ruined that policy and now they changed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talyler View Post

I love that I can take my 360 back to Costco and buy the Elite. I'll take the sacrifice of losing a crappy game, 1 controller, and a quick charge kit. The 360 bundle is the same price as the Elite so i won't be losing any $$$. I'm excited!

Gonna have to spray my HD DVD drive black now

post #113 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Just called GameStop to see if I could preorder an Elite and the kid told me they're not taking preorders because they don't want people fighting over them Those retail kids always give me a good laugh.
post #114 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 78
What time is the announcement supposed to happen?
post #115 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 02:27 PM

any timeframe for the release of the Elite?
post #116 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubzilla06 View Post

any timeframe for the release of the Elite?

April 29th

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #117 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah man cable companies are going to be using 360s soon as DVRs and set top boxes...That was talked about months ago.
post #118 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ.Cone View Post

April 29th

awesome its being released on a Sunday wo0t!! Now I dont have to worry about taking a day off, but now i have to come up with an excuse to tell ym ex wife that I wont be seeing the kids that day....

/sarcasm
post #119 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
According to a post on Kotaku the annoucement #2 will be tonight at the same time. 9 pacific \\ 12 eastern. They think it will be Halo3 or GTA related.
post #120 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 03:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinksjinx View Post

Yeah man cable companies are going to be using 360s soon as DVRs and set top boxes...That was talked about months ago.

They talked about using the 360 as a DVR for IPTV services. Unfortunately, cable services supporting Microsoft's IPTV implementation only exist in Europe. It was a nice demo, but had no practical use for anyone living in the United States.

In order to use the Xbox360 as a DVR with U.S. cable companies, Microsoft would need to offer / support a version of the "OCUR" device I described in my previous post. They have not said one word about that yet.
Closed Thread Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page