post #121 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixtapem View Post

I thought I was the only one who noticed. $70 for live? Gimme a break.

I paid $65 for a camera, 2 arcade games, 200 points and a year membership. 70$ for what???? And I live in NY where nothing is cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekinMerrick View Post

I paid $65 for a camera, 2 arcade games, 200 points and a year membership. 70$ for what???? And I live in NY where nothing is cheap.

That sounds like a lot more than live to me. That sounds like the Live Vision Camera Pack that I also purchased...but for $50.

Samsung UN55F7100
PS3 60GB
Blu-ray : 86
Xbox 360

post #123 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by todrigo View Post

$479.00 Elite for gaming + $199.00 HD player for movies + $70 Live subsciption for online = $749.00

$499.00 PS3 for gaming + $80.00 200GB Ext. HDD (buy.com) + $6 6ft HDMI (monoprice.com) + $0 Blu-ray player for movies + $0 Online Access = $586.00

thats as close to an apples to apples comparison as this will get. If the soft advantages of Live and Marketplace are worth $163.00 up front then you have an even race.

Wait, so its ok for you to go online searching for the cheapest possible HDMI cable, but it's not ok to use a coupon and circuit city and get the HD-DVD drive for $160?

You dont make any mention of the free movie that comes with the HD-DVD Drive, you dont make any mention of the free remote control that comes with the HD-DVD drive. What happened to the apples to apples comparison?
post #124 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHDTVDiet View Post

According to a post on Kotaku the annoucement #2 will be tonight at the same time. 9 pacific \\ 12 eastern. They think it will be Halo3 or GTA related.

Nothing like screwing over the EST people that have jobs to go to in the morning.
post #125 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBS G35 View Post

Wait, so its ok for you to go online searching for the cheapest possible HDMI cable, but it's not ok to use a coupon and circuit city and get the HD-DVD drive for $160?

You dont make any mention of the free movie that comes with the HD-DVD Drive, you dont make any mention of the free remote control that comes with the HD-DVD drive. What happened to the apples to apples comparison?

he also forgot the headset, ps3 doesnt come with a headset, how much is a decent bluetooth headset? because that's all the ps3 supports. there there is the component cables, need them or not, the elite includes them, the ps3 sells them for 23 bucks.

what about the remote? can you even get one for ps3? if so what kind? how much? and media center functionality? is that possible? then there is xbox live, how much would it cost to add that functionality to the ps3? , will NEVER be possible.

if we're comparing apples to apples, you have to include this stuff.... ps3 has what, some "3d environment" coming soon? that should add a lot of functionality.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #126 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber View Post

Nothing like screwing over the EST people that have jobs to go to in the morning.

blame the canadians! they invented time zones!

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #127 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 05:30 PM

Quote:

Yeah because clearly this announcement is more important than your job...gimme a break
post #128 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd View Post

he also forgot the headset, ps3 doesnt come with a headset, how much is a decent bluetooth headset? because that's all the ps3 supports. there there is the component cables, need them or not, the elite includes them, the ps3 sells them for 23 bucks.

what about the remote? can you even get one for ps3? if so what kind? how much? and media center functionality? is that possible? then there is xbox live, how much would it cost to add that functionality to the ps3? , will NEVER be possible.

if we're comparing apples to apples, you have to include this stuff.... ps3 has what, some "3d environment" coming soon? that should add a lot of functionality.

Also forgot that the Xbox is an upscaling DVD player. Better add that to the PS3 cost as well...
post #129 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

Yes, to push Microsoft's own software and infrastructure for IPTV delivery.

Microsoft's IPTV solutions aren't compatible with any of the major cable operators in the United States. For the forseeable future, most US cable operators will rely exclusively on QAM modulation for channel delivery. To support those services with DVR capability, Microsoft would need to introduce and support an external OpenCable 1.0/2.0 tuner with the Xbox360. They have not yet announced any intention to do so.

Windows Vista Media Center supports CableCard DVR functionality, and they've got plenty of experience working with ATI on the "OCUR" CableCard solution for Vista. Will they leverage that experience with the Xbox360? Or do they feel like Apple does, that DVR functionality would just compete with their own direct sale of Internet-delivered video (in Apple's case, iTunes).

Microsoft will be piggy backing on the IPTV's providers infrastructure. They will just provide the software and a box that will enable you to hook into that infrastructure. Why would they provide a redundant solution? They allow you to stream your media center content to an Xbox360. All that cablecard functionality will be available on the Vista platform.
post #130 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmatter View Post

Yeah because clearly this announcement is more important than your job...gimme a break

Well it would be nice to hear it when its announced, not 8 hours later.
post #131 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd View Post

many users complained about white sticking out like a sore thumb in their home theater setups (though just as many liked the white)

many users complained about lack of hdmi

many users complained about lack of a larger hard drive.

these concerns were all answered, be it in a single bundle, but they were still answered, i dont see what your point is?.

One small thing that us cheap americans concern ourselves with and I suppose the rest of the world doesn't. Price. The value is just limp.
post #132 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Well it would be nice to hear it when its announced, not 8 hours later.

You need to take a break. It's just a game system.
post #133 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

*Possible spoiler alert*

The 2nd announcement MIGHT be their new mobile and free web browser...Xbox 360 not included.

Get to sleep early tonight.
post #134 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They talked about using the 360 as a DVR for IPTV services. Unfortunately, cable services supporting Microsoft's IPTV implementation only exist in Europe. It was a nice demo, but had no practical use for anyone living in the United States.

In order to use the Xbox360 as a DVR with U.S. cable companies, Microsoft would need to offer / support a version of the "OCUR" device I described in my previous post. They have not said one word about that yet.

Yeah my mistake it was IPTV...ATT/SBC are the ones will use the boxes if my mind remembers correctly...Not sure why I said cable, I still refer to my satellite as cable occasionally...I've seen IPTV through ATT and I must say I was impressed...
post #135 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150 View Post

You need to take a break. It's just a game system.

Wow, thanks for the insight. I'll be sure to ask your opinion the next time I need it.
post #136 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 08:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

Microsoft will be piggy backing on the IPTV's providers infrastructure. They will just provide the software and a box that will enable you to hook into that infrastructure.

Are you sure about that? Some of the IPTV service architectures now deployed differ substantially in their design; I can't imagine that a single server could provide interoperability with the Xbox360.

Back in January, Microsoft said five service providers were currently deploying Microsoft IPTV solutions (servers and software), with eleven having plans to do so. Most are in Europe. AT&T was the only one in the United States. Verizon FiOS has no plans to use the Microsoft's solution for its television delivery at this time.

Quote:

Why would they provide a redundant solution? They allow you to stream your media center content to an Xbox360. All that cablecard functionality will be available on the Vista platform.

That requires a PC. Streaming high-definition at ATSC bitrates (~19 Mbps) around the home isn't really reliable at this point. Furthermore, only a small minority of Xbox360 users have Vista systems, and none yet have Vista Media Centers with CableCard.

HDTV Recorder Comparison Chart | DTVPal DVR FAQ | New! TiVo Premiere (Series4) FAQ |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #137 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post

"Elite" moniker notwithstanding, the PS3 still holds the hardware advantage.

And, no good games to play on it. Yaay. Nothing like having a 600hp car and no gasoline.

The First Clarke Law states, 'If an elderly but distinguished scientist says that something is possible he is almost certainly right, but if he says that it is impossible he is very probably wrong.'
post #138 of 148 Old 03-28-2007, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

OMG THEY JUST POSTED THE SECOND ANNOUNCEMENT EARLY ON
http://on10.net/

GO CHECK IT OUT, ITS BEST ANNOUNEMENT EVAR.........

jking, its some lame mobile browser. who the hell cares about that crap. wow was that over hyped.
post #139 of 148 Old 03-29-2007, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:

Are you sure about that? Some of the IPTV service architectures now deployed differ substantially in their design; I can't imagine that a single server could provide interoperability with the Xbox360.

Back in January, Microsoft said five service providers were currently deploying Microsoft IPTV solutions (servers and software), with eleven having plans to do so. Most are in Europe. AT&T was the only one in the United States. Verizon FiOS has no plans to use the Microsoft's solution for its television delivery at this time.

That requires a PC. Streaming high-definition at ATSC bitrates (~19 Mbps) around the home isn't really reliable at this point. Furthermore, only a small minority of Xbox360 users have Vista systems, and none yet have Vista Media Centers with CableCard.

From what I interpreted from that announcement they would be working with each provider individually. They were not exactly detailed on how they would get it done. So I might be wrong about how that is done.

Microsoft claims to have sold 20 million licences for Vista so far. I think you have to weigh the number of people who would be interested in a cable card in the a video game console as opposed to a PC where people want freedom to do what they want with their media. Why trade in one cable box for the Xbox 360?

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+sells+...3-6170426.html
post #140 of 148 Old 03-29-2007, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
My decision was easy.

I was strolling through Walmart and I noticed they had the Pro incorrectly listed for $299. I said to myself "self, I know you haven't bought a console since the Nintendo 64 days, but doesn't that pro version usually cost $399?"

Self didn't answer, so I had to call someone else to confirm. For $100 off, I figured the worst I could do is sell it on ebay for a profit. Thankfully it rang up with the $299 price (I'm sure some employee got in trouble for pricing it wrong). I got home, opened it up "just to see what the hubbub was about" and got hooked on playing games again.
post #141 of 148 Old 03-29-2007, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

I really dont understand the pro responses. This was obviously going to be the premium but they didnt have it ready which explains basically the same hardware. They know nobody is going to want the middle model so essentially, they just RAISED the price of the 360. We are supposed to be going the other way people...

Please dont support this, we have to let them know this is not ok.
post #142 of 148 Old 03-29-2007, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I guess this just goes to show you that you can't please everyone. Ugh.

If they didn't have HDMI, the same people who are criticizing the Elite would be criticizing MS for not having HDMI.

Josh - GamerTag: ShapeGSX PSN: ShapeGSX
'97 Eclipse GSX - 11.825@117.55mph in the 1/4
post #143 of 148 Old 03-29-2007, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerBrian View Post

Hey PS3 fan boy. Go back to your forum. Oh wait. There is nothing exciting going on in the PS3 forum. They don't even have a game in the top 10. BTW 13 months live for $39.99 at newegg.

Clearly you quoted the wrong person...

Enough with the PMs about the name...

Getting
Everything
Never
Implies
U are
Satisfied
post #144 of 148 Old 03-29-2007, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius74 View Post

Clearly you quoted the wrong person...

Yes I did. I am sorry. Dboss pointed that out to me yesterday.

"220. 221. Whatever it takes."
XBOX360 GamerTag: BoomerBrian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #145 of 148 Old 03-29-2007, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post

I guess this just goes to show you that you can't please everyone. Ugh.

If they didn't have HDMI, the same people who are criticizing the Elite would be criticizing MS for not having HDMI.

They would have pleased me by not liying about the current system being able to output digital and having a HDMI cable If there was demand for it.
post #146 of 148 Old 03-29-2007, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhferry View Post

They would have pleased me by not liying about the current system being able to output digital and having a HDMI cable If there was demand for it.

I remember that quote, and I don't believe they said that they could just make an HDMI cable.

I seem to remember that they said that they could "add HDMI" at some point, which some people took the wrong way.

Josh - GamerTag: ShapeGSX PSN: ShapeGSX
'97 Eclipse GSX - 11.825@117.55mph in the 1/4
post #147 of 148 Old 03-29-2007, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerBrian View Post

Yes I did. I am sorry. Dboss pointed that out to me yesterday.

I had to double check my comments for a sec..

Enough with the PMs about the name...

Getting
Everything
Never
Implies
U are
Satisfied
post #148 of 148 Old 03-29-2007, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

since i dont have an extra hdmi port, i will stick with this.... until i get the sherwood receiver

2011 SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS- New York Giants!!!

Gamertag: GENERAL CUPKAKE
Closed Thread Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page