AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Two MS announcements tonite & tomorrow

8K views 147 replies 65 participants last post by  RAVEN56706 
#1 ·
See less See more
#102 ·
Here is what I did. Flipped a coin last year. Luckily it came up tails. Got my first 360 premium. A few months later was going to buy a media extender. Decided to spend the little extra for another premium. A few months later bought one for a friend for his birthday. Was going to buy a premium but couldn't find one. So good for me
saved the money. Friend was happy. Then had to decide between $40 for a memory unit or $100 for hard drive. Then had to decide on second controller, wired or wireless. Spent the $10 extra for wireless. Then$20 for hd cable.

This example shows why Microsoft has said they would not be getting rid of core unit. Some people may not have the money to get the premium, (have hard time saving)

And will piece meal it. So it is good for Microsoft.

For those who can afford, will go with the premium rather than buy the parts seperate. Now they have a 3rd option.

If anyone has listened to majornelson's podcast today. Part of it is marketing and part of it makes business since. The average consumer doesn't go online to buy a $7 hdmi cable. They drive to Best Buy and buy the overpriced one. The example in podcase was the average price of an external self powered notebook external was around $160 in stores. Plus if you add the core plus bigger hard drive you get the $479 price.

I might buy the Elite and put my main one in my media room. I use the media center feature quite a bit.

Definitely have gotten my moneys worth out of both.

#104 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboss /forum/post/0

He was responding to a post by 'todrigo' which indicated a price of $70 for live. If that guy is a fanboy, he's really only off by $20. I don't think that someone being off by $20 merited a slam on the PS3 forums or the PS3 in general. People just need to chill out.

dboss, Thanks for pointing that out. I did slam the wrong guy. todrigo is who it was aimed towards. Below is the snippet he was reffering too. I consider it fanboy because when quoting the Sony items he took the cheapest route and when quoting M$ he didn't. Also anyone who owns an XBOX and XBL would have known how much 12 months of live would cost.

Quote:
$479.00 Elite for gaming + $199.00 HD player for movies + $70 Live subsciption for online = $749.00

$499.00 PS3 for gaming + $80.00 200GB Ext. HDD (buy.com) + $6 6ft HDMI (monoprice.com) + $0 Blu-ray player for movies + $0 Online Access = $586.00

#105 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape /forum/post/0

I dunno. I see that same comparison (add in all the XBox 360 extras to add up to more than the PS3) done all the time, and it always reeks of fanboyism. Though this guy at least didn't add in 4 years of live, like most people do.

I would agree. Depending on your point-of-view you can make the numbers work however you would like. I could probably make the 60GB PS3 look cheaper than the Wii if I wanted to. I don't want to try though because that would be pretty hard.

Its really all in the features, which you care about and which ones you don't, and everybody has different opinions. I just don't think that by being off of a price by $20 means that someone is a fanboy.

#106 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbain /forum/post/0

the big rumor making the rounds is that they will announce gta4 exclusivity...

of course if the previous rumors about microsoft buying take 2 outright prove true, that would have the same effect...

i guess we'll find out tonight

I don't know. If this were the case, I'm on the fence about this one. I'm not sure GTA has the same drawing power that it once did. After playing GTA, GTA VC, and GTA SA it just seems like a 'been there, done that type thing'. Although, that's pretty easy to say without seeing any screenshots or actual gameplay footage.

#107 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcats /forum/post/0

I concur. If you do not already own an Xbox 360, this is a great deal.

Dunno about a 'great' deal when the 20gb PS3 (if you can find it) is only $20 more and it can playback BD.

Honestly I like the color options, and a bigger HDD and HDMI are spanky. Personally I have use for neither, but they were becoming necessary, especially for those that want to leverage the most out of HD DVD add-on and download services. Too bad you need to replace your base console unit to do so.

I would have waited for the 65nm chips myself, no idea why they didn't wait for that.

Net, net I'm very 'meh' about the annoucement. Just not too impressed with the price-point mostly. I would have thought they would have just upped the premium with new hardware and kept the price the same while offering the bigger HDD in retail and the choice of colors and accessories to new buyers. But apparently MS thinks they can milk some more money out of folks that think this in some way is still a better deal than the PS3 at its pricepoint(s).

#108 ·

Quote:

IMO, the only thing you mentioned that the PS3 is sure not to have, besides the HDMI and component cables, which is inconsequential IMO since you can get an HDMI cable for $5 at Monoprice, is the 100GB of extra hard drive space. I think when given the choice people would prefer to pick-up the hi-def disc drive rather than an extra 100GB of space. The hi-def drive is a more marketable piece of hardware.

I wouldn't even care about the HDDsize on the 360 if they'd allow USB/network storage of marketplace content. You can already go backwards (and does a better job of the streaming than the PS3 at this moment in time anyway). It's extremely irritating MS hasn't enabled the other way, even in the likes of Vista. Even with a larger HDD now available, the price is total sodomy. Rare points to Sony for allowing their customers the freedom to upgrade HDD space as they see fit.

#109 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv /forum/post/0

The most dramatic announcement Microsoft could make, imo, is a dual-tuner CableCard add-on (based on ATI OCUR ) for the Xbox360 Elite.

That would allow the Xbox360 Elite to function as a full-fledged DVR for any cable provider.

that would certianly have been cool, but you'd still want a bigger HDD, or the ability to record to external devices...

#110 ·
I love that I can take my 360 back to Costco and buy the Elite. I'll take the sacrifice of losing a crappy game, 1 controller, and a quick charge kit. The 360 bundle is the same price as the Elite so i won't be losing any $$$. I'm excited!

Gonna have to spray my HD DVD drive black now

#111 ·

Quote:

I would agree. Depending on your point-of-view you can make the numbers work however you would like. I could probably make the 60GB PS3 look cheaper than the Wii if I wanted to. I don't want to try though because that would be pretty hard.

Easy:

PS3 60GB includes Blu-Ray: $599

Wii plus Blu-Ray $499 (PS3 20GB): $749

What makes it easy is that everyone has to throw in the HD add-on for the 360 comparison since HD movie disc playback is "required" to play games for some reason. You just have to do the same thing for the Wii!

#112 ·
Its people like you doing that type of BS that ruined that policy and now they changed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talyler /forum/post/0

I love that I can take my 360 back to Costco and buy the Elite. I'll take the sacrifice of losing a crappy game, 1 controller, and a quick charge kit. The 360 bundle is the same price as the Elite so i won't be losing any $$$. I'm excited!

Gonna have to spray my HD DVD drive black now

#116 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubzilla06 /forum/post/0

any timeframe for the release of the Elite?

April 29th

#117 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv /forum/post/0

The most dramatic announcement Microsoft could make, imo, is a dual-tuner CableCard add-on (based on ATI OCUR ) for the Xbox360 Elite.

That would allow the Xbox360 Elite to function as a full-fledged DVR for any cable provider.

Yeah man cable companies are going to be using 360s soon as DVRs and set top boxes...That was talked about months ago.

#120 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinksjinx /forum/post/0

Yeah man cable companies are going to be using 360s soon as DVRs and set top boxes...That was talked about months ago.

They talked about using the 360 as a DVR for IPTV services. Unfortunately, cable services supporting Microsoft's IPTV implementation only exist in Europe. It was a nice demo, but had no practical use for anyone living in the United States.

In order to use the Xbox360 as a DVR with U.S. cable companies, Microsoft would need to offer / support a version of the "OCUR" device I described in my previous post. They have not said one word about that yet.

#122 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekinMerrick /forum/post/0

I paid $65 for a camera, 2 arcade games, 200 points and a year membership. 70$ for what???? And I live in NY where nothing is cheap.

That sounds like a lot more than live to me. That sounds like the Live Vision Camera Pack that I also purchased...but for $50.

#123 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by todrigo /forum/post/0

$479.00 Elite for gaming + $199.00 HD player for movies + $70 Live subsciption for online = $749.00

$499.00 PS3 for gaming + $80.00 200GB Ext. HDD (buy.com) + $6 6ft HDMI (monoprice.com) + $0 Blu-ray player for movies + $0 Online Access = $586.00

thats as close to an apples to apples comparison as this will get. If the soft advantages of Live and Marketplace are worth $163.00 up front then you have an even race.

Wait, so its ok for you to go online searching for the cheapest possible HDMI cable, but it's not ok to use a coupon and circuit city and get the HD-DVD drive for $160?

You dont make any mention of the free movie that comes with the HD-DVD Drive, you dont make any mention of the free remote control that comes with the HD-DVD drive. What happened to the apples to apples comparison?

#125 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBS G35 /forum/post/0

Wait, so its ok for you to go online searching for the cheapest possible HDMI cable, but it's not ok to use a coupon and circuit city and get the HD-DVD drive for $160?

You dont make any mention of the free movie that comes with the HD-DVD Drive, you dont make any mention of the free remote control that comes with the HD-DVD drive. What happened to the apples to apples comparison?

he also forgot the headset, ps3 doesnt come with a headset, how much is a decent bluetooth headset? because that's all the ps3 supports. there there is the component cables, need them or not, the elite includes them, the ps3 sells them for 23 bucks.

what about the remote? can you even get one for ps3? if so what kind? how much? and media center functionality? is that possible? then there is xbox live, how much would it cost to add that functionality to the ps3?
, will NEVER be possible.

if we're comparing apples to apples, you have to include this stuff.... ps3 has what, some "3d environment" coming soon? that should add a lot of functionality.

#126 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber /forum/post/0

Nothing like screwing over the EST people that have jobs to go to in the morning.

blame the canadians! they invented time zones!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.