Official Guitar Hero 360 Discussion Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3085 Old 03-28-2007, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Guitar Hero on the 360 with Dolby Digital + Home Theater = RAWK!

Post here any comments and impressions about the game, the songs, downloads, tips, pics, etc..

If you haven't played the game for more than a couple minutes, do the tutorials first! Everyone starts to play the game wrong, which can be frustrating.

Here's some tips to get you started:

First tip: if there's a series of same notes in a row, you don't have to push the colored "fret" for each note... keep it held down and just strum to the beat.

Second tip: if there's a note that's immediately followed by a higher note, there's no need to let go of the first note. Just like regular guitar, only the highest note will register.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3085 Old 03-28-2007, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
cant wait till monday!

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #3 of 3085 Old 03-28-2007, 08:37 AM

Liked: 10
Thanks for the tips, Daver. Im a rookie and cant wait to get this game, those tips should help me rock my face off!

I cant believe how excited I am about a game Ive only played for 30 seconds at Best Buy.
post #4 of 3085 Old 03-28-2007, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

My tip: Don't play on HARD until you've mastered medium. You'll feel stupid and completely inept at playing games.
post #5 of 3085 Old 03-28-2007, 09:03 AM

For those about to Rock....
post #6 of 3085 Old 03-28-2007, 09:08 AM

i need the pick of destiny
post #7 of 3085 Old 03-28-2007, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 735
here is a couple of tips from somebody who has played alot on ps2.... to become better at hard, when playing on medium...
1. force yourself to do hammer-ons and pull-offs (even if you don't have to)
2. Force yourself to strum up and down during the fast parts

When playing on hard.
1. when a orange note comes up move your hand down and keep it there don't move back to the green one......

if you have any other questions feel free to ask...
post #8 of 3085 Old 03-28-2007, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdank View Post

My tip: Don't play on HARD until you've mastered medium. You'll feel stupid and completely inept at playing games.

To those that are wondering how the difficulty changes:

Easy: Only 3 unique notes used per song, almost no "chords" (more than one note played at a time), and no fast strumming. Most anyone can get through a song on easy with no problems.

Medium: 4 unique notes used per song, introducing the pinky finger. Some chords and occasional fast strumming, rare hammer-ons and pull-offs (guitar players will know what this means, and it is described in the tutorials).

Hard: all 5 notes used, introducing moving hand position. Many chords and often fast strumming, hammer-ons and pull-offs common in solos. As rdank said... this level can be rough!

Expert: Hard "up to 11"!
post #9 of 3085 Old 03-28-2007, 12:03 PM

I don't mean to hate, but I never really understood the fascination with Guitar Hero. I play guitar and don't see why people just wouldnt learn to play ther real thing...I understand the cost differentials...but i guess i just never really got it...that is all...this is a rant isn't it?
post #10 of 3085 Old 03-28-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escaife View Post

I don't mean to hate, but I never really understood the fascination with Guitar Hero. I play guitar and don't see why people just wouldnt learn to play ther real thing...I understand the cost differentials...but i guess i just never really got it...that is all...this is a rant isn't it?

I've heard from quite a few people that this is a common reaction among guitar players. And then they have a go on the game...
post #11 of 3085 Old 03-28-2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainodo View Post

I've heard from quite a few people that this is a common reaction among guitar players. And then they have a go on the game...

I have played it...it is just too simplistic...but i guess that is from knowing how to really play...oh well to each his own right?
post #12 of 3085 Old 03-28-2007, 12:23 PM

Quote:

I have played it...it is just too simplistic...but i guess that is from knowing how to really play...oh well to each his own right?

Of course. But at it's heart it's still a game. Anyone who thinks they can become Satriani from playing it is fooling themselves. I don't think it's so much a cheaper/shorter alternative to learning to actually play as much as it's a fun, challenging game with some nice wish fulfillment for anyone that wanted to be Angus and rock out at Wembley but couldn't put in the time.
post #13 of 3085 Old 03-28-2007, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I completely understand your post. I used to play guitar, and still do on occasion (Martin D-15 and '80 Gibson Les Paul).

I didn't think I would like this game 'till I played Boston's More Than a Feeling from Guitar Hero 1 at a party. Then, playing multiplayer with 2 guitars turned out to be a blast too!

The Guitar Hero games aren't really about playing guitar -- it's quite simply a rhythm-based video game. And the guitar-shaped controller with the game's metalhead personality really celebrate the essence of "Rock and Roll". ...like playing air guitar.
post #14 of 3085 Old 03-28-2007, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 735
i don't think anyone thinks that they can become a guitarist, but i have a couple of buddies that didn't want to play the game. One of them plays guitar (very well). i made him play it for 30 min. and the more he played it the more he liked it. he has since gone out and purchased it and he says it is the greatest purchase of his life. You have to play it for a while to like it. and as far as being too simplistic obviously you weren't playing on expert...... try playing the game for a couple of hours, the better you get the more fun it is.
post #15 of 3085 Old 03-28-2007, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I own both PS2 games and have an OG black controller and the limited crimson one. I pre ordere dat ebgames but I can't wait to play Gh on my preferred system. I may have to buy a USB extension since my 360 is above my tv and I might have to route the cord around the screen.
post #16 of 3085 Old 03-28-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:

You see this comment in just about every GH discussion. People play it for the same reason they play golf/tennis/basketball/skateboarding/table tennis games when they could do the real thing....

They're fun. Simple.
post #17 of 3085 Old 03-28-2007, 01:46 PM

i've played guitar for years. i still play the hell out of guitar hero. these games are insanely fun, that simple. if running around your living room rocking out to carry on wayward son while playing a kramer v as a giant body painted fat man with metal spikes isn't your idea of fun... then you're probably hopeless.

and i can say without a doubt that many songs on expert are harder than just really playing the damn song on an actual guitar. i play sweet child of mine all the time, and i butcher it in guitar hero. monkey wrench is hilariously simple to play on a real guitar... just a drop d strummer, but in guitar hero on expert it's ridiculous.

i think from now on i'm going to go into every gears of war thread and ask why you wouldn't just go get a gun and practice shooting over ledges in real life. what's the point of playing a game about it? and let's stop making any sports game, ever... since you know, you could just play the real thing.
post #18 of 3085 Old 03-28-2007, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffLebowski View Post

i've played guitar for years. i still play the hell out of guitar hero. these games are insanely fun, that simple. if running around your living room rocking out to carry on wayward son while playing a kramer v as a giant body painted fat man with metal spikes isn't your idea of fun... then you're probably hopeless.

and i can say without a doubt that many songs on expert are harder than just really playing the damn song on an actual guitar. i play sweet child of mine all the time, and i butcher it in guitar hero. monkey wrench is hilariously simple to play on a real guitar... just a drop d strummer, but in guitar hero on expert it's ridiculous.

i think from now on i'm going to go into every gears of war thread and ask why you wouldn't just go get a gun and practice shooting over ledges in real life. what's the point of playing a game about it? and let's stop making any sports game, ever... since you know, you could just play the real thing.

Here here!

On the flipside I produce trance and techno and I f'n hate beatmania(nothing like making or performing electronic music).
post #19 of 3085 Old 03-28-2007, 01:57 PM
AST

Quote:

We can't all be Jimmy Hendrix like yourself. Have some sympathy on us simple minded folks.
post #20 of 3085 Old 03-28-2007, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Too bad the game isn't meant to be a simulation. I know how to punch a guy in the face. It doesn't make fight night any less fun.
post #21 of 3085 Old 03-28-2007, 03:59 PM

I just hope that the rumor they will have the original available as dlc is true never owned PS2 GH1 in anticipation of a 360 version, and there were quite a few songs I wanted on that game

LIVE: WTX DEATHRIDE
PSN: Robocop2
WII: blah blah blah numbers
post #22 of 3085 Old 03-28-2007, 05:26 PM

I'm unable to find the answer if this has been posted already but does anyone know the length of the cord for the guitar? From what I understand, I can buy a USB extension cable. Is this accurate? I sit about 10' feet away from the console.
post #23 of 3085 Old 03-28-2007, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburcke View Post

I'm unable to find the answer if this has been posted already but does anyone know the length of the cord for the guitar? From what I understand, I can buy a USB extension cable. Is this accurate? What's the length of the cord? I sit about 10' feet away from the console.

it's 10 feet, and yes, any usb extender will work, i have about 4 of them from digital cameras and stuff (came free)

i could rock out from about 30' if i wanted to, hehe

and for those with pinky troubles, i broke my pinky in iraq a few years back, it's never been the same, some people just cant use the pinky, it's all good

i use 3 fingers, and move up/down, it works well but there is some limitation once you get into expert mode, but you'll be good through easy/medium/hard, but for me it's a disability, if you've never played before i suggest you FORCE yourself to use your pinky, otherwise you'll kick yourself later.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
post #24 of 3085 Old 03-28-2007, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd View Post

... for me it's a disability, if you've never played before i suggest you FORCE yourself to use your pinky, otherwise you'll kick yourself later.

That's good advice, and sorry about loosing your appendage.

...we salute you.
post #25 of 3085 Old 03-28-2007, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

lol, i didnt lose it, i just broke it and lost a little bit of mobility, for everyday use it's fine, i can even type fine, it's just those really fast solos, the ole beat up pinky just cant hang

thanks for the kind words though, i have no regrets, but i'm glad that chapter of my life is behind me.

rock on!

post #26 of 3085 Old 03-29-2007, 05:27 AM

Sorry Guys I didnt mean to start a turf war, I understand that some people like different things...I just made a comment sorry to ruffle feathers...I am by no means a "Hendrix" but I enjoy playing guitar...If they could find some way to incorporate a real guitar into one of these type of games then i think they would be on to something...Then people could take interactive lessons that gave immediate feedback...and it would still have this entertaining facet that many of you seem to really enjoy...
post #27 of 3085 Old 03-29-2007, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If they could find some way to incorporate a real guitar into one of these type of games then i think they would be on to something...Then people could take interactive lessons that gave immediate feedback...and it would still have this entertaining facet that many of you seem to really enjoy...

That would be cool, but a really different game... more of a "sim".

Guitar Hero is simple, dumb fun. Sort of like what Burnout Revenge is to racing games.
post #28 of 3085 Old 03-29-2007, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry Guys I didnt mean to start a turf war, I understand that some people like different things...I just made a comment sorry to ruffle feathers...I am by no means a "Hendrix" but I enjoy playing guitar...If they could find some way to incorporate a real guitar into one of these type of games then i think they would be on to something...Then people could take interactive lessons that gave immediate feedback...and it would still have this entertaining facet that many of you seem to really enjoy...

Now see you'd like Drummania. It sucks at teaching you drums but it demands a precise sense of rhythm throughout your body. Now with drum hero likely in the works(if not already in production) maybe you'll enjoy that more.
post #29 of 3085 Old 03-29-2007, 08:11 AM

Lol i get what you are saying but I suck at the kit...that is why i stick to the guitar (Fender Nashville Power Tele, with a fender hot rod deville)
post #30 of 3085 Old 03-29-2007, 12:14 PM

Quote:

If they could find some way to incorporate a real guitar into one of these type of games then i think they would be on to something...Then people could take interactive lessons that gave immediate feedback...and it would still have this entertaining facet that many of you seem to really enjoy...

I'd be all over that game. If there's one thing that's stopped me from keeping up with practicing the guitar, it's video games.
Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page