Adding mp4/h.264 to WMP11 library? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-09-2007, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a large collection of dvds transcoded to h.264 but I can't seem to add them to my WMP11 library. Without them in the WMP11 library I can't stream them. They play fine connected to the 360 through usb.

What am I missing?

I previously had xp codec pack installed, I installed klite codec pack and no difference. I've been using transcode 360 for months but I'd like to be able to stream my movies without tying up my pc from transcoding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-09-2007, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Apparently you have to use the Zune software, as WMP11 doesn't recognize MP4 files.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-09-2007, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisg View Post

Apparently you have to use the Zune software, as WMP11 doesn't recognize MP4 files.

You should check out this FAQ. It sounds like you can install codecs for WMP11, but I'm not sure where you would download them.

------------------------

21. What are the different video codecs that Zune and Windows Media Player support out of the box for streaming?

The Zune software supports unprotected WMV, MPEG-4 Part 2 and H.264. Windows Media Player 11 supports protected and unprotected WMV.

22. How can I get Windows Media Player 11 to stream MPEG-4 Part 2 and H.264 to my console?

By default, Windows Media Player 11 does not support MPEG-4 Part 2 and H.264. You can either convert your MPEG-4 Part 2 and H.264 content to WMV or you can install a 3rd party MP4 DirectShow decoder pack to import MPEG-4 part 2 and H.264 files into your library. Once they are in your library they can be streamed to your console just like WMVs.

Listen to my songs about games at: www.archiegates.com
post #4 of 6 Old 05-09-2007, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

haven't tried this but it may help you. There are two options:

1. Pay nothing, download and use Zune to stream (www.zune.net): http://www.zune.net/en-us/meetzune/software.htm

2. Pay $7 for the 3vix MP4 DirectShow decoder pack and get MP4 to show up in the WMP library

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread...=523810&page=2
post #5 of 6 Old 05-10-2007, 08:29 AM

Or just rename the .mp4 to .wmv
post #6 of 6 Old 02-16-2013, 10:53 AM

I was getting very annoyed at this and ended up playing a lot of movies from my laptop via HDMI to my TV, not the most convenient method especially considering I only have a 2 foot HDMI lead.

Turns out the file does appear in windows media player under the "other media" list.

in order for media player to recognize it as a video simply rename the file with a .mpeg extension, then rename the file back to .MP4

I like to make WMP try and play the file after renaming it .MPEG just for peace of mind.

In order to change the file extension on windows 7 you have to go into "Folder and search options" on the "organize" dropdown menu. and select the view tab, then untick the "hide extensions for known file types" tick box. you can then change the file extensions biggrin.gif

once changed then all your shiny new media will be recognized as video files and visibly to your Xbox biggrin.gif
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page