The Official Halo 3 Discussion thread! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I tried the Beta last night and was impressed with the changes. The only thing I found wrong was the d-pad team communication, but I dont see where else to put it. I'll be there with a fist full of dollars on launch day.
Its a little hard switching from Gears to H3. I have to stop trying to active reload

Dear BLK 04,

You have received a warning at AVS Forum.

Reason:
-------
Signature Rule Violation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 02:38 PM

I think this game is much further along than we believe, I have seen pictures that look way better than what I saw in the beta, I wonder if Bungie isn't just pulling our chain. Halo 3

I don't want to pull the gears thing but, does it make any difference that Halo will have to offer split screen up to 4 different screens per tv? What type of demand would be placed on the system if that were the case? would more people be upset if the split screen was taken away? I don't remember if you could split screen on gears but I don't think you could. Halo 3, it appears, has many more requirements and functions that people expect from it, that may not allow it to be the most pretty. I don't know just throwing questions out there.
post #93 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 02:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 155
H3 will look better than the beta when it it released on Sept. 25th , wait and see ... .

--- Jason
post #94 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 02:39 PM

ditto
post #95 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltontrey View Post

I don't want to pull the gears thing but, does it make any difference that Halo will have to offer split screen up to 4 different screens per tv? What type of demand would be placed on the system if that were the case? would more people be upset if the split screen was taken away? I don't remember if you could split screen on gears but I don't think you could. Halo 3, it appears, has many more requirements and functions that people expect from it, that may not allow it to be the most pretty. I don't know just throwing questions out there.

This is precisely my concern. If we want these elements (split screen, physics, draw distance) on the 360, then is this the best we can expect in terms of graphics? To me there are 3 possibilities.

1. They slacked on the graphics. The 360 is capable of much more than this graphically in addition to the excellent gameplay, draw distance, etc). This option is annoying because you expect more from a title like this.

2. This is the most that the 360 can do while still providing excellent gameplay, draw distance, etc. This option is depressing for me. I wanted it all, but maybe I can't get it this generation from the 360.

3. The graphics will improve considerably by the time the game comes out. This would solve all the problems, but I'm not as confident as some of you that this will happen.
post #96 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curttard View Post

Seriously, this is Halo 3 beta in all its 720p glory:

How much would it have to improve to look REMOTELY like the "in-game engine, real-time" trailer shown at E3?

For comparison, here is GRAW 2 multiplayer. Same number of players, bigger maps, shorter development time, presumably not the same level of support from Microsoft:

Man these two shots are night and day.
post #97 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
from bungie.net faq found at

http://www.bungie.net/content.aspx?link=h3betaFAQ

FIRST question

Q: What is the Halo 3 Public Beta?

A: The Halo 3 Public Beta is a preview, based on early code, of the Halo 3 multiplayer game. It features three maps, an assortment of weapons, vehicles and matchmaking playlists for Xbox Live. It will run from May 16th until June 6th, 2007

I bolded the early part. this isn't final guys. if that doesn't convince you, then i give up, and will be here to say i told you so on 9/25.

loving my completed home theater. :)
post #98 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie97L View Post

FIRST question

A: The Halo 3 Public Beta is a preview, based on early code, of the Halo 3 multiplayer game. It features three maps, an assortment of weapons, vehicles and matchmaking playlists for Xbox Live. It will run from May 16th until June 6th, 2007

I bolded the early part. this isn't final guys. if that doesn't convince you, then i give up, and will be here to say i told you so on 9/25.

people have been doing this a lot throughout this topic. since when does code stand for graphics, last i heard code stands for the code...
post #99 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub273 View Post

You pose the question as if there's a vast difference. There isn't.

Are you serious?

Here's the Halo 3 beta again:

And here's the "100% real-time, in-game engine" trailer from E3 2006:

Do the Spartans in the real gameplay shot show anywhere near the level of detail or three-dimensionality of the E3 trailer Master Chief? No. They are vastly lower poly'd, have lower quality textures, none of the normal/bump/whatever mapping, and lower quality lighting.
post #100 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie97L View Post

FIRST question

I don't think graphics assets are going to change a lot for the multiplayer.
It is clear they are going to spend the next few months building the levels of the single-player campaign.

So, while I expect some improvement, I don't think it will meet expectations, which are way too high.

Then again, I would love to be surprised.
post #101 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you serious?

Here's the Halo 3 beta again:

And here's the "100% real-time, in-game engine" trailer from E3 2006:

Do the Spartans in the real gameplay shot show anywhere near the level of detail or three-dimensionality of the E3 trailer Master Chief? No. They are vastly lower poly'd, have lower quality textures, none of the normal/bump/whatever mapping, and lower quality lighting.

You are mistaken, this is a Killzone 2 screenshot from E3 05.
post #102 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 03:30 PM

Quote:

Shrug. Well, all I can say is that there are a lot of people who aren't going to be happy, no matter what. I won't envy them. They can go back to the previous-gen games and their 480p output and pretend that they're every bit as pretty as Forza 2 and Halo 3, and I won't stop them. I may snicker behind their backs, but ...

I hear ya... There are those that will never be happy. I was totally happy with my SNES when that came out. Same with the PlayStation. OMG Toshinden was unbelievable for its time as was Wipeout and Tekken. Dreamcast blew my mind with Soul Calibur and the PS2 had Tekken and Madden at launch. Halo, DOA3 and Wreckless were powerhouses for the Xbox1. Just didn't get that same "Wow I can't believe I'm playing this." feeling until Gears...
post #103 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll say it again as well, Bungie is genius, and millions are all over the internet hyping the game and discussing it. People think concerns about graphics are going to somehow slow the Halo train? Think again, if anything it will speed it up.

Here is another screen shot that everyone seems to be ignoring. This was the first official in game screen that Bungie posted, and they stated it was IN GAME actual footage of MC, shown at an angle so that none of the level could be seen. Either multiplayer will somehow have nowhere near the graphics the single player will, or, like Bungie has said, the game everyone is playing now is an F'ING BETA and doesnt represent the final product. This MC is awesome looking.

http://www.bungie.net/projects/halo3...&cc=21&item=10
post #104 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davio View Post

Here is another screen shot that everyone seems to be ignoring. This was the first official in game screen that Bungie posted, and they stated it was IN GAME actual footage of MC, shown at an angle so that none of the level could be seen. Either multiplayer will somehow have nowhere near the graphics the single player will, or, like Bungie has said, the game everyone is playing now is an F'ING BETA and doesnt represent the final product. This MC is awesome looking.

That "screenshot" is also 2560 x 1440 resolution, which means it is obviously not from a 360 version of the game. Who knows what other downgrades need to happen between that PC devkit image (which most likely ran at 2fps) and the actual 360 game on shelves in addition to halving the resolution?
post #105 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That "screenshot" is also 2560 x 1440 resolution, which means it is obviously not from a 360 version of the game. Who knows what other downgrades need to happen between that PC devkit image (which most likely ran at 2fps) and the actual 360 game on shelves in addition to halving the resolution?

Okay, so Bungie was lying to us all and this wasnt in game footage of Halo3 for the 360? Seriously, you people will reach for anything. Even if that is a higher resolution shot, when its scaled down on my 1920x1080 laptop it still looks amazing. The intro trailer looked just as good.

Cant wait til everyone is proved wrong.
post #106 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Okay, so Bungie was lying to us all and this wasnt in game footage of Halo3 for the 360? Seriously, you people will reach for anything. Even if that is a higher resolution shot, when its scaled down on my 1920x1080 laptop it still looks amazing. The intro trailer looked just as good.

Cant wait til everyone is proved wrong.

actually that screenshot shows rushed, poor, artwork. the character looks like one from halo 2 but with a noise filter applied to the normal map, and did you miss the horrible mirroring of the supports in the background? however it was an early screenshot so i guess i should not be so judgemental.
but like curttard said below me, it more than likely is a pre-rendered screenshot but maybe using ingame assets.
post #107 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Okay, so Bungie was lying to us all and this wasnt in game footage of Halo3 for the 360?

Since the 360 is not capable of 1440p, I don't know what other conclusion you can reach.
post #108 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'll say it again as well, Bungie is genius, and millions are all over the internet hyping the game and discussing it.

Millions are all over the Internet putting the game down and trashing it.

I don't see how this could be considered a positive outcome.

Negative buzz is not a good thing.
post #109 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 04:16 PM

does anyone know if the 9/25 date is like midnight of 9/24 rolling into 9/25 like usual? Or is it midnight of 9/25 rolling into 9/26?
post #110 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD233 View Post

does anyone know if the 9/25 date is like midnight of 9/24 rolling into 9/25 like usual? Or is it midnight of 9/25 rolling into 9/26?

I'm guessing 12:00am on 9/25, meaning you'll be driving to the game store to get it on the 24th.
post #111 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralt View Post

I don't see how this could be considered a positive outcome.

Negative buzz is not a good thing.

Millions are not putting it down...if anything Id say the majority of those writing about the game have positive things to say. The graphics being the only exception.

And yes, negative buzz (within reason of course), when it comes to something that has this strong of brand power, IS actually a good thing. If the graphics were so god awful and it was known it was the final version, then no thats not a good thing, but in the case of this game you've got differing opinions that leads to discussion, that only builds the hype machine. I disagreed with the release of this beta as a fan, but in marketing and business terms it was pure genius.
post #112 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I'll leave graphics alone this time.. I tried really hard to play it again and for the life of me can't see the big fuss over it.. Graphics aside it's just another run of the mill FPS against aliens.. And what makes the gameplay good? I found myself hating it because they claimed to use real world physics yet have guys jumping 15ft in the air like rabbits without getting any damage falling off cliffs or losing speed by jumping,... If anything it made them faster over obsticles..

D.I.N.K

Double
Income
No
Kids
post #113 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Millions are not putting it down...if anything Id say the majority of those writing about the game have positive things to say. The graphics being the only exception.

And yes, negative buzz (within reason of course), when it comes to something that has this strong of brand power, IS actually a good thing. If the graphics were so god awful and it was known it was the final version, then no thats not a good thing, but in the case of this game you've got differing opinions that leads to discussion, that only builds the hype machine. I disagreed with the release of this beta as a fan, but in marketing and business terms it was pure genius.

Well tonight we'll see if it was all hype.. There was what 70k people online on Halo3, lets see if that number increases tonight or even the weekend for longer than 20 minutes..

D.I.N.K

Double
Income
No
Kids
post #114 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you serious?

As a heart attack.

Quote:

Do the Spartans in the real gameplay shot show anywhere near the level of detail or three-dimensionality of the E3 trailer Master Chief? No.

Do you see any Spartans in that shot that are anywhere near the camera as in the trailer shot? No? Didn't think so. You ever heard of LOD (Level of Detail) objects? Y'know, how an object's geometry and textures get progressively less detailed the farther away from the camera they are? If not, click this link for a bit of edification.

I hate to use a cliche, but you're comparing apples to oranges. You're comparing models from different environments, in a different context (cut-scene versus gameplay), and from different camera angles. Moreover, I'd be willing to wager that the Spartan models of the beta are going to employ lower-resolution textures to keep the download bandwidth manageable.

EDIT: And it's clear from your earlier posts that you're confused about the difference between "in-engine" and "in-game" (the latter of which was never claimed).

==\dub/==
post #115 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralt View Post

You counted them?

==\dub/==
post #116 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I played it. I found nothing amazing about it but I found nothing terrible about it either. It was an improved version of Halo2. How much improved is hard for me to judge since I havent played Halo2 in a while but it felt the same to me. Nice smooth gameplay. Good sound, good graphics.

The graphics were not amazing but not bad, in fact they were not distracting in anyway. I didnt look at them and go "wow amazing" but I didnt look at them and go "this is crp", it was just..... Halo. Halo is halo, its got its own graphics style. Not too realistic, not too cartoony just Haloy. It was fine, I could see everything, no popins or magic fade outs.

Gameplay was solid, menus were solid. It was halo. If you loved halo2 online you will probably love halo3 online as it is an upgraded version of the same game.

What could set Halo3 above the other halos is the single player and we will have to wait to see if that is amazing and awe-inspiring or if it is just....halo, which would be fine too (just means it will be a solid game and not an amazing game, not every game can be amazing).
post #117 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post

I'll leave graphics alone this time.. I tried really hard to play it again and for the life of me can't see the big fuss over it.. Graphics aside it's just another run of the mill FPS against aliens.. And what makes the gameplay good? I found myself hating it because they claimed to use real world physics yet have guys jumping 15ft in the air like rabbits without getting any damage falling off cliffs or losing speed by jumping,... If anything it made them faster over obsticles..

The Spartan program was also supposed to produce super-human marines... your point? Just because the character is supposed to go beyond the realm of normal physical capability, doesn't mean the physics are less realistic.

Grenades and corpses roll down surfaces, seemingly based on the friction of the surface (weapons tend to slide down the slopes for the buildings on snowbound, but not on the snow, while grenades will roll on both, etc)... Now... if you were talking about how corpses currently tend to jiggle in place because of some glitches in the ragdoll mode for corpses, I would agree.
post #118 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 05:44 PM

Quote:

As a heart attack.

Do you see any Spartans in that shot that are anywhere near the camera as in the trailer shot? No? Didn't think so. You ever heard of LOD (Level of Detail) objects? Y'know, how an object's geometry and textures get progressively less detailed the farther away from the camera they are? If not, click this link for a bit of edification.

I hate to use a cliche, but you're comparing apples to oranges. You're comparing models from different environments, in a different context (cut-scene versus gameplay), and from different camera angles. Moreover, I'd be willing to wager that the Spartan models of the beta are going to employ lower-resolution textures to keep the download bandwidth manageable.

EDIT: And it's clear from your earlier posts that you're confused about the difference between "in-engine" and "in-game" (the latter of which was never claimed).

Are you actually arguing that the in game characters don't look as good as the screenshot because they are farther away? Thats rediculous. I've played the game and when you pick up a large weapon, your guy is right in front of your face and he looks nothing like that concept art. If the single player really looks like that concept art, I'll buy it because that looks sweet. Otherwise, I see nothing in this game but an upgrade of Halo 2.
post #119 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krevnik View Post

The Spartan program was also supposed to produce super-human marines... your point? Just because the character is supposed to go beyond the realm of normal physical capability, doesn't mean the physics are less realistic.

Grenades and corpses roll down surfaces, seemingly based on the friction of the surface (weapons tend to slide down the slopes for the buildings on snowbound, but not on the snow, while grenades will roll on both, etc)... Now... if you were talking about how corpses currently tend to jiggle in place because of some glitches in the ragdoll mode for corpses, I would agree.

I think the physics are very good. The gameplay felt fun and real.
post #120 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 05:47 PM

By the way, the above beta screenshots don't do the game justice, the game looks far better on a HD monitor. Nevertheless, they still are not great.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page