The Official Halo 3 Discussion thread! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Please continue all Halo 3 discussion in this thread.
Rumours, beta testing, graphics, etc...

EDIT: Now that the game is coming out, please keep all Halo 3 discussion here.
Please use THIS thread for reviews.
And THIS one for MP scheduling.

Thanks,

Kyser

"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."

Ash - Army of Darkness
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Kyser, you closed the other thread RIGHT when I was about to hit "Submit"!

This comes from the graphics comparison thread:

What maybe irks me is that it very much sounds like some of you are basically implying the game looks like crap. I spent an hour in the beta last night, and I'll be playing more over the weekend. The first thing I thought was "wow, they really did improve this map from the Xbox".

I think we also forget that Halo 2 wasn't a crap looking game either. It was one of the better looking Xbox games out there. So a radical departure isn't going to happen.
post #3 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I played it and thought it looked like a Launch Title by an unknown developer..

D.I.N.K

Double
Income
No
Kids
post #4 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mullis View Post

What maybe irks me is that it very much sounds like some of you are basically implying the game looks like crap. I spent an hour in the beta last night, and I'll be playing more over the weekend. The first thing I thought was "wow, they really did improve this map from the Xbox".

I think we also forget that Halo 2 wasn't a crap looking game either. It was one of the better looking Xbox games out there. So a radical departure isn't going to happen.

I feel the same. I also think that the jaggies everyone is being so critical about is nothing to worry about. When they release it in September, it will be all polished up and ready to go.

Gamertag: BaneAssassin
PSN: BaneAssassin
post #5 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone else still not get their download code for the rule of 3 halo 3 beta?
I got in through phase one and still haven't gotten my code(yes I checked my junk mail). I know a few thousand people still haven't gotten theirs.
post #6 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 06:54 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 146
I played for only a limited amount of time as well, but the graphics never struck me as bad either. Quite good actually. I've only played the multiplayer on Halo 2 a couple of times, and the beta felt very similar to the previous game to me. But, like I said, I haven't played much.....so that may change. It was definitely fun, just a pretty big change from my normal game of Gears. No doubt it will be a huge hit for the really good players out there.

BourbonNcigars

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #7 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 06:55 AM

i'm getting sick and tired of evryone who accepts graphics like this one or R6 Las Vegas (worst R6 since lockdown)....

I or anyone else for that matter did NOT pay 400$ to enjoy games that looks like xbox1/last gen, if you don't care about better gfx then don't buy a new console/pc!

If halo 3 had more changes/better gfx = aka more drastically changes it would be indeed "Halo 3" otherwise mp is just Halo 2.5

Really this whole gameplay vs graphics is getting quite tedious.... We want BOTH elements to work together ... like gears of war or bioshock or .. well you get me idea...

I fail to see how anyone is a gfx whore just because they refuse to accept games that are WAY under the 360 range..

I was a HUGE R6 fan (still a clancy fan) but R6 las vegas mp really dropped the ball and don't get me started on splinter cell DA.. hopefully the new splinter cell will get back to its roots and no shuggy/ugly horrible mp ....

Exactly WHAT did bungie do during those 2 years...?!?!?
post #8 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
played till about 3:30 am last night. first impressions are that this game is going to suck my life away come september. In terms of the graphics, I thought they ranged from good to very good. Some unimpressive textures and geometry in some places, but then great looking stuff in others. The snow looks amazing. I really like High Ground.

xbox live/PSN: Chad473
post #9 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin_Buu View Post

i'm getting sick and tired of evryone who accepts graphics like this one or R6 Las Vegas (worst R6 since lockdown)....

I or anyone else for that matter did NOT pay 400$ to enjoy games that looks like xbox1/last gen, if you don't care about better gfx then don't buy a new console/pc!

If halo 3 had more changes/better gfx = aka more drastically changes it would be indeed "Halo 3" otherwise mp is just Halo 2.5

Really this whole gameplay vs graphics is getting quite tedious.... We want BOTH elements to work together ... like gears of war or bioshock or .. well you get me idea...

I fail to see how anyone is a gfx whore just because they refuse to accept games that are WAY under the 360 range..

I was a HUGE R6 fan (still a clancy fan) but R6 las vegas mp really dropped the ball and don't get me started on splinter cell DA.. hopefully the new splinter cell will get back to its roots and no shuggy/ugly horrible mp ....

So.....start a movement do a march on Washington

The 5.0 is here
post #10 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

This is from that other thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post

Maybe this Trilogy is like The Matrix, the first one was the best and the other 2 were complete let downs and a waste of money..

I'm starting to think this as well. I just hope that they do a good job with the SP and that this doesn't turn out to be just a MP game like Halo 2.

I truly believe that most people that like Halo 2 are new comers. The original Halo had a great SP and story as well as great MP. It was a very immersive game in all sense. Halo 2 was just a MP game with improved graphics. In my opinion Halo 2 was like an insult to Halo.

I'm pretty sure I won't be in line at Time Square (ok maybe I will, but just for the festivities) in release date as I was for Halo 2 just to be dissapointed. I'll wait a bit before dropping 60, 90, or 130 for this one this time around.

360 gamertag------>Perpetual
PSN------->Perpetual1
post #11 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

So.....start a movement do a march on Washington

post #12 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 07:16 AM

Quote:

I feel the exact opposite. I didn't spend $400 to play a pretty game where I can't even jump and only play 4 vs 4 on little tiny maps.

I want games where when I fall into the water the sound gets muffled. I want games where grenades bounce off cement and stick in the snow.

They can only go so far and keep the look and feel of Halo. It's time to say this is a video game...yes I want it to look great, but lets put some of that processing power into other aspects of the game.
post #13 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad473 View Post

first impressions are that this game is going to suck my life away come september.

haha, I was thinking the exact same thing. This game to me is the crack of online gaming, lol!

Gamertag: BaneAssassin
PSN: BaneAssassin
post #14 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

watch the Vidocs and you'd know. And again this is a BETA it doesn't represent final code it's not a free demo for promoting the game it's an early peak. And you should be gald you get play it since I STILL haven't gotten my download code from MS.
And how many times does Bungie have to explain that the graphics are are just now being finalized and the beta has old textures and simple effects to keep the game running smoothy. Final code will be much different.
post #15 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 07:27 AM

logicalnoise@

okay I guess you're right .. it's just a BETA but I seriously doubt things will REALLY change in the next months...but time will tell I guess...

Chevron07@

I don't agree 4x4 is perfectly fine yes 8x8 would be better.. but seriously there's not much you can complain about GEARS it did deliver and more....

BTW tiny maps? GEARS is an ELITE combat unit.. you're not suppose to have HUGE maps and HUGE wars.. that was known 1-2 years BEFORE the game was released, and jumping

Have fun with the Halo 3 beta guys.. I just hope in the end it's NOTHING like halo 2 which was a HUGE failure in my book, just watch that huge e3 trailer, like 90% of that never happened in the final game, instead we got a few hours in sp then you had to pickup mp which i found VERY boring and dull after being used to pc gaming in general
post #16 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

From the way this thread is starting out...it should be renamed to...

"The Ultimate Halo 3 Thread: COMPLAIN HERE AS LOUD AS YOU CAN, YOU CRY BABIES"

XBL: AJ in HD
PSN: AJ_in_HD
post #17 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron07 View Post

I feel the exact opposite. I didn't spend $400 to play a pretty game where I can't even jump and only play 4 vs 4 on little tiny maps.

I want games where when I fall into the water the sound gets muffled. I want games where grenades bounce off cement and stick in the snow.

They can only go so far and keep the look and feel of Halo. It's time to say this is a video game...yes I want it to look great, but lets put some of that processing power into other aspects of the game.

Well, I can definitely see both sides of this discussion. I kinda lean towards the "it needs better graphics" camp. Here's why: the gameplay is not drastically different from the previous Halos...nor should it be. So the question is, what are they going to do with all of this extra horsepower if there is no need to alter gameplay?

But I'll chime in with the Beta disclaimer too...we'll wait and see for the final product. I for one have faith! I tell you though, playing the Beta last night was pretty sweet. The new equipment and weapons really add some interesting twists to the game.

Overall, H3 has me looking forward to Sept 25th. That's good timing too because I should just about be getting tired of GoW after nearly a year of play

Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy...
post #18 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 08:06 AM

Quote:

Chevron07@

I don't agree 4x4 is perfectly fine yes 8x8 would be better.. but seriously there's not much you can complain about GEARS it did deliver and more....

BTW tiny maps? GEARS is an ELITE combat unit.. you're not suppose to have HUGE maps and HUGE wars.. that was known 1-2 years BEFORE the game was released, and jumping

Different strokes I guess. I'm not knocking Gears, but I don't find elite combat units as fun as large battles. It was known for a while as well that Halo wasn't going to focus all of their energy on graphics...They've said that it probably won't look as good as Gears, but it will do more.
post #19 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 08:32 AM

On the BETA can you play on one system MP or is it only through xbox live ??

Also can you friends play on xbox live on the same account just like on the halo 2 ??
post #20 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 08:43 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1_8 View Post

Overall, H3 has me looking forward to Sept 25th.

I'll second that, for sure. Like others have said, I hope they do a return to form of sorts for the single player campaign. To me, Halo had an incredible single player. Halo 2 was not as enjoyable to me.

BourbonNcigars

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #21 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saylor View Post

On the BETA can you play on one system MP or is it only through xbox live ??

Also can you friends play on xbox live on the same account just like on the halo 2 ??

I don't think you can do local. you can have guests, I played against several last night. not sure how many.

xbox live/PSN: Chad473
post #22 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 08:45 AM

I was playing last night on Snowbound and got killed going up one of the ramps to the top of a base. I got to watch all of my grenades roll down into the snow. I love physics. Next gen to me is all about AI and physics right now. I just need graphics good enough to draw me into the world. Past that, I want cool and realistic things to happen in that world. This is where I believe Halo 3 will blow the rest of the 360 line-up out of the water.
post #23 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad473 View Post

I don't think you can do local. you can have guests, I played against several last night. not sure how many.

Thanks ...
post #24 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 08:50 AM

Here's what I think, I played for about 2 hours last night:

The sound is top notch, I found myself smiling when I heard fire from around the map in Valhalla. Physics and flow of the game are solid but still some collision detection that could be scrubbed up (since it is a beta it probably will). Really like the lighting and texture style of the game it feels so much more heavy and real. I looks like they are in the process of including all of their finalized textures, because some areas are really textured and others are not, The leaves and tree textures will probably get much better as well as some of the other ground cover before the final release. (Just guessing)

I usually only play system link with buddies at my house so I really want a game that everyone and pick up and play, that looks polished and refined, I don't need gears, gears seems more dark almost too dark, I like these vibrant distinctions in colors in H3.

Overall I loved the game and can only think of how refined this game could become before release

One last thing did anyone notice that the sniper fire was not as responsive as you would like. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, by the time I got my second shot off the guy was gone? probably just me.
post #25 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 09:03 AM

I enjoyed it so far. I only got to play 2 rounds before work. It looks to me like the R6 demo was, a solid game with the textures left out until the end.
post #26 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 09:06 AM

I haven't played online halo for years, but right when the match started I was reminded of what i loved about this game. The balance of the weapons and feel of the controls is just perfect. It's fun to get a vanilla deathmatch again. Quite the departure from GoW.

Still, though, single player is where most of my enjoyment will come from, and i'm very anxious to get some sort of closure to the story after the retarded 'cliff-hanger' they placed in Halo 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mullis View Post

After playing it myself, i was partially impressed with the graphics. It looked like a revamped Halo 2 engine rather than a wholly new next gen game. Not nearly as bad as I was afraid of, but i'm certainly hoping for a marked graphical improvement by release. Your last point is a bit off, though. This is a totally new console, so the graphics better be significantly improved.
post #27 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Back before all of the Crackdown people could get in, when there was only around 3,000 online playing I was holding my own just fine. Now that there's 30,000+ people, most who have been playing Halo 2 every day since day one, I'm getting my ass handed to me. Typically I end a game with around two kills where others have 20+. I guess it doesn't help that I haven't played Halo 2 in about two years.

I think I'm going to wait a week or so for the experience levels to even out more before I play again. Until then I'll go back to Gears of War to make myself feel worthwhile again
post #28 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
To each their own. I like it so far.

chili
somebody set up us the bomb
post #29 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastahkaz View Post

I think I'm going to wait a week or so for the experience levels to even out more before I play again.

That's a big point right there. Since everybody starts at rank=zero, and the beta really just began yesterday, even the best players are at zero and the matchmaking / ranking system hasn't had a chance yet to really get going. That's probably a big part of why the beta lasts three weeks - to give the player ranking system enough time to get a comprehensive list together.

You've got the right idea - give it a little time so the best players are promoted, and I bet in a week or so the skill-based matchmaking gets much more accurate.
post #30 of 1181 Old 05-17-2007, 09:22 AM

graphically its ass but fun to play. just compare halo's mp ice level to lost planet's mp ice level. lp makes it look like do do

I unfold the scroll, plant seeds to stampede the globe
When I'm deceased, by then the beast arise like yeast
to conquer peace leaving savages to roam in the streets.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page