MKV to WMV ** This Works !!! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 145 Old 05-29-2007, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, I wanted to start a new thread for XBOX360_HD_Movie_Encoding_Pack. I got this working, it was a long road to get this info so I wanted to break it down and share with anyone that would like to do this. Here's what I did in the next post.
Please write me if you have any problems and I'll do what I can. Thanks to all of you guys here that helped me set this up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 145 Old 05-29-2007, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

MKV HD + other format movies to WMV_HD Guide for XBOX360 (based on Boomstick's instructions with added info from Shaner1 and JeepHed)
5/29/7
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

################################################
This pack will enable you to encode any movie with any
resolution to play on your xbox360 via dvd or streaming
################################################

Download the "XBOX360_HD_Movie_Encoding_Pack.zip" file from here:
http://rapidshare.com/files/30627470..._Pack.zip.html

uninstall any video/audio codecs you have on your pc
Do this in "Add or Remove Programs" but I also went into Hardware (Start, Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager) and under "Sound, video and game controllers" in the "Video Codecs" section I deleted everything. Having other codec installed can cause problems and a lot of headachs.

Reboot

Unrar the Encoding Pack zip file

install combined community codec pack

install wmfdist11.exe

Extract WMNicEnc.zip to desktop

Extract Avisynth-257.zip and install

Go into the ffdshow audio decoder configuration utility. On the left hand side of the screen find the "mixer" section. It's near the bottom of the list. Select that and change the output speaker configuration to "3/2 - 5 Channels" and make sure to toggle on "LFE" right next to the drop down. Ok that to save the changes.

Place your target movie file directly on your root hard disk not in any folders,
then create an Avisynth script in notepad (this is a text file you create and then
change the extention from .txt to .avs)
and point it to your movie file

Example:
DirectShowSource("c:\\Name Of Your File Here")
You have to have the parenthesis and quotes, no spaces between DirectShowSource and the first (.

Now run WMNicEnc and input your .avs script and change your settings
to suit your needs my recommended settings for an mkv hd file with
5.1 audio are

** Audio Options **
Windows Media Audio 10 Professional
384kbps, 48khz, 5.1 channel 24bit CBR

** Video Options **
Windows Media Video 9 Advanced Profile (VC-1)
Bitrate - 600000
Quality - 100
FPS - match your file
Secs/KF - 5
Use Input Size - ticked
Use VBR - ticked
VBR dropdown - Quality
VBR Quality - 95

multipass seems to cause problems...

Hope this helps! Boomstick...
post #3 of 145 Old 05-29-2007, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
JeepHed,

Good job putting the info up. I'd suggest one change or addition. I've found that using 95 as the video Quality setting keeps the video quality great and doesn't inflate the size of the file as much as 100. You can adjust from there based on your needs.

Cheers,

post #4 of 145 Old 05-29-2007, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaner1 View Post

JeepHed,

Good job putting the info up. I'd suggest one change or addition. I've found that using 95 as the video Quality setting keeps the video quality great and doesn't inflate the size of the file as much as 100. You can adjust from there based on your needs.

Cheers,

Thanks, I actually missed the last part. with the VBR Quality settings. Now it should be alright. And thanks again for all the help.
post #5 of 145 Old 05-29-2007, 11:28 AM

This is excellent. Although I would add a couple things. For the layman like myself who don't necessarily know a lot of things about avs, I would add the fact that you must change the notepad document extension to .avs (it's default is .txt). I may actually be doing it wrong I suppose, but that is what works for me.

Also something Shaner1 pointed out to me in the other thread is that you can make the encoding go a lot faster if you go into the advanced options in the video section and change the Minimum/Maximum Complexity setting to 'fastest'. I did not notice any quality loss by doing this.
post #6 of 145 Old 05-29-2007, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KueMan10 View Post

This is excellent. Although I would add a couple things. For the layman like myself who don't necessarily know a lot of things about avs, I would add the fact that you must change the notepad document extension to .avs (it's default is .txt). I may actually be doing it wrong I suppose, but that is what works for me.

Also something Shaner1 pointed out to me in the other thread is that you can make the encoding go a lot faster if you go into the advanced options in the video section and change the Minimum/Maximum Complexity setting to 'fastest'. I did not notice any quality loss by doing this.

Thanks, I made the change about the .avs file, good call. Let me take a look at the Minimum/Maximum Complexity setting and then I'll change it.
Thanks
post #7 of 145 Old 05-29-2007, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHed View Post

Thanks, I made the change about the .avs file, good call. Let me take a look at the Minimum/Maximum Complexity setting and then I'll change it.
Thanks

Setting that to fastest is the best way to go from my experience with this software. My encoding time is so much faster and the quality remains the same as far as my eye's can tell.
post #8 of 145 Old 05-29-2007, 09:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 41
How would be the best way to go about to fix an audio sync problem?
post #9 of 145 Old 05-30-2007, 06:44 AM

Liked: 11
This is awesome -- I can't wait to try it this weekend. Out of curiousity, does this method also allow you to convert .ts videos to wmv-hd? If this is an incredibly stupid question, I'll have to claim newbie status as my excuse.
post #10 of 145 Old 05-30-2007, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthclem View Post

This is awesome -- I can't wait to try it this weekend. Out of curiousity, does this method also allow you to convert .ts videos to wmv-hd? If this is an incredibly stupid question, I'll have to claim newbie status as my excuse.

No problem, I'm pretty new at this stuff too. I have only tried it for MKV files so far. But try putting your file in the root directory and edit the .AVS file to point to it and let us know what happens.
Let us know if you have any problems.
post #11 of 145 Old 05-30-2007, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes you can get .ts into wmv-hd.

From my experience you have to convert the .ts file to .mpg first. I use a utility called HDTV to MPEG2. After that I would convert the file with Windows Media Encoder. I haven't had to do a .ts file since I started using WMNicEncoder so I can't say for sure if it will convert the mpg or not. I think it will, you can give it a shot and let us know. If it doesn't work, I know for sure that WMEncoder 9 works.
post #12 of 145 Old 05-30-2007, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Now how can I make .mkv files (or .wmv) files from my HD DVD ripped .evo files?

If ignorance is bliss, going to Clemson must be orgasmic...
post #13 of 145 Old 05-30-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaner1 View Post

Setting that to fastest is the best way to go from my experience with this software. My encoding time is so much faster and the quality remains the same as far as my eye's can tell.

Hey Shaner, something I have noticed, and perhaps this is something I'm just doing, is that when setting the minimux/maximum complexity to fastest you get a larger file size. Have you, or anyone else that has tried this, experienced this as well?
post #14 of 145 Old 05-30-2007, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hey Shaner, something I have noticed, and perhaps this is something I'm just doing, is that when setting the minimux/maximum complexity to fastest you get a larger file size. Have you, or anyone else that has tried this, experienced this as well?

I've noticed that but it's not always the case. I ran a few tests a while back on different files to see how it worked. It was different from file to file. But most of the time the file size is larger.
post #15 of 145 Old 05-31-2007, 04:18 AM

hi guys...

i tried the method described by JeepHed, with those settings, but when i click Encode i get an error which says 'Could not open input stream!' and it stops

Any ideas what could be wrong? Thanks
post #16 of 145 Old 05-31-2007, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinconair View Post

hi guys...

i tried the method described by JeepHed, with those settings, but when i click Encode i get an error which says 'Could not open input stream!' and it stops

Any ideas what could be wrong? Thanks

What is the name of your MKV file and exactly what text do you have in your .AVS file?
I always rename my MKV file to test.mkv so I never need to change the .AVS file. In the .AVS file I have:
DirectShowSource("c:\ est.mkv")
post #17 of 145 Old 06-01-2007, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
What app can tell you the fps or other detail of the source mkv file? BTW good work, by far the fastest and easiest method for me.
post #18 of 145 Old 06-01-2007, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audball View Post

What app can tell you the fps or other detail of the source mkv file? BTW good work, by far the fastest and easiest method for me.

Hey, I'm glad this helped. I had a lot of problems getting this all to come together and the guys at this site were a big help.
I'm not sure about the fps. I know some files have a .NFO file that you can open in Notepad and it has all the info they created the file with. But on files I don't know I leave it at the default and they seem to come out right.
If you do find one let us know.
Thanks.
post #19 of 145 Old 06-01-2007, 11:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
it says "When are YOUR files deleted?" 90 days without download WTF

never mind I am stupid

I want the retro skin back please
post #20 of 145 Old 06-03-2007, 06:14 AM

I'm just not courageous enough to delete ALL of my codecs. I got rid of a few, but there are some that appear to have to do with Pinnacle Studio that I don't want to get rid of, as well as some Intel ones.

I may still try this process, later in the week but I think I'm going to have to test my luck by keeping a few of my codecs installed.
post #21 of 145 Old 06-03-2007, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
okay, above works like a charm. However, are there any additions to this program for batch encoding, because the renaming (copy and pasting of file names, into .avs document takes a while). Anyway, thanks for the info, but batching would help a great deal.

With Batch encoding all 360 owners will rejoice, if they aren't already.
post #22 of 145 Old 06-03-2007, 02:52 PM

Well, the weather was crappy today, so I gave this a whirl. I did an episode of 24 that was 1.2GB in size. With Quality set to 95, VBR Quality at 95, and Min/Max Complexity set to Fastest, it took just over 2 hours. It looked good in the Windows Media Player, but I can't test it out on my 360 since I got the red ring of death a couple of days ago.

Has anyone figured out to make this process go faster? I'm guessing on my 2.8Ghz box with 1GB of memory, a DVD9 sized file could take 12-14 hours (if my experiment with 24 is any indication).
post #23 of 145 Old 06-05-2007, 06:15 AM

Quote:

I did a file last night and set min/max complexity to fastest. It was a 6.9GB file that became 11.9GB after the conversion. The conversion itself took about 10 hours. I'm running the same file again today using "default" for max/min. I'll report back with the file size and how long it took.
post #24 of 145 Old 06-05-2007, 04:33 PM

Quote:

I did a file last night and set min/max complexity to fastest. It was a 6.9GB file that became 11.9GB after the conversion. The conversion itself took about 10 hours. I'm running the same file again today using "default" for max/min. I'll report back with the file size and how long it took.

Alright, I got home from work tonight and the file I started this morning had only gotten to 5 bars on the progress meter -- after 11 hours. So clearly, "default" is not the way to go for the min/max complexity.

Given that I was using 384 kbs, 48khz, 5.1 channel 24 bit CBR for audio and 95 for both video quality and VBR quality, what are your suggestions for the best way to keep the file size as close as possible to the size of the source file (with a minimum compromise on the quality). If anything, I'd prefer to take the hit to audio, as I'm projecting on a 10' screen.
post #25 of 145 Old 06-06-2007, 01:33 AM

Hey everyone, everything I have encoded has worked great except for the fact I keep getting stuttering withing the videos. It seems to be every 1-2 seconds that it occurs. You really only notice it during some scenes with continuous (sp?) motion. Anyone know of any way I can avoid this? I have the video quality at 100 and I have tried all fps settings possible including the original fps of the .mkv. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!
post #26 of 145 Old 06-06-2007, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hey everyone, everything I have encoded has worked great except for the fact I keep getting stuttering withing the videos. It seems to be every 1-2 seconds that it occurs. You really only notice it during some scenes with continuous (sp?) motion. Anyone know of any way I can avoid this? I have the video quality at 100 and I have tried all fps settings possible including the original fps of the .mkv. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Are you streaming the videos? If so, is it a wireless network stream?

Streaming over my wireless network worked fine before the spring update, now some of my videos skip (they all played fine before the update) and act like a steaming video acts when it's not buffered enough. This could be the problem.
post #27 of 145 Old 06-07-2007, 05:58 AM

I have continued to experiment with the settings in WMNicEnc in an effort to create a WMV that roughly matches the same file size as the source MKV. I've been using a 106MB file in this experiment. I've found that the audio settings have very little impact on the file size -- little enough that those aren't worth messing with. Additionally, Video Quality seems to have no impact on the file size.

It appears that VBR Quality has the biggest effect on file size. At 95% and 94%, my 106MB file grew to 149MB. At 93% and 92% it was around 120MB. At 90% it dipped down to 86MB.

Unfortunately, I'm not a video guru. I don't know what VBR Quality does or the impact of the bitrate or Secs/KF. And I can't even test out my results on my 360 because I'm waiting for Microsoft to repair it. It seemed like a week or two ago, a lot of people were contributing to this discussion in this and another thread. It would be great if we could put our brains together and figure out the most effective way to convert .mkv's to .wmv's.
post #28 of 145 Old 06-09-2007, 04:45 AM

Has anybody tried getting this to work on Vista? As soon as I click "encode" the WMNicEnc program crashes. I've tried running it as administrator and in XP compatibility mode, but no luck. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

XBL: Snr Suave
PS3: SnrSuave
post #29 of 145 Old 06-12-2007, 11:29 AM

The subtitle that's embedded into my mkv file disappeared after reencoding. Any idea as to how I can play around with the settings to retain them?

thanks,

TC
post #30 of 145 Old 06-12-2007, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
you could extract them from the mkv, but i dont know if wmv has support for seperate subtitle files? you'd have to look into that.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page