post #91 of 1710 Old 10-29-2008, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

No sprint/run. Wow, that is annoying. More you carry the slower you get so if you are not paying attention to your weight limit you might be moving slower then your max speed and not even realize it.

On the PC version, there is sprint/run.. caps lock or hold left shift... so Id be surprised if it wasn't there somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1710 Old 10-29-2008, 07:43 AM

I'm just over 3 hours into this game. I picked it up (preordered) on the way home from work, and threw it in shortly after I got home.

This game is incredible! The landscape and sounds are breathtaking, and the gameplay is very smooth. I bounced around in the wasteland a bit before heading to Megaton, just to take in the sights. The storyline is very deep so far, but I talk to everyone and try to get into every part of games like this. Even my WOW-obsessed wife sat next to me on the couch, glued to the screen.
post #93 of 1710 Old 10-29-2008, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Did think of another minor quirk - when making your character, if you select facial hair, the only way to remove it (during creation anyway) is to back up and select a new default face. I had tweaked my face a whole bunch and had to lose it because I didn't like any of the facial hair options! However, I think I liked the replacement face I made better anyway.
post #94 of 1710 Old 10-29-2008, 08:34 AM

I'm sure I'll get beat up for this question, but is there a blood/gore filter in this game? I love me a solid RPG, but have little interest in watching brain matter splash across the screen. If I can turn off, or turn down, the gore that I've seen in the video previews, I'd be more interested in buying this game.
post #95 of 1710 Old 10-29-2008, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Searching killed opponents is buggy. You kill something and your cursor is still on it, it just stays red like it is ready to attack, you can't search the corpse, you have to move the cursor off the corpse, onto something else, and then back and you get the prompt to search.

Where are you playing this game? In 50 hours of game time on the X360 version I did not see this happen once.

Quote:

No sprint/run. Wow, that is annoying. More you carry the slower you get so if you are not paying attention to your weight limit you might be moving slower then your max speed and not even realize it.

Not exactly. You only become "encumbered" once you reach you weight limit, and even then just means you cannot run.

I hope there isnt a sprint button, because if there is one I missed it! :x

Quote:

Money is very limited yet the best stuff in the game costs thousands to buy. Ammo is very limited for the energy weapons, arguably the coolest weapons in the game.

It only cost a lot of money if you pay for it. Horde materials that can be used to "craft items" and sell it to vendors. Also, repairing your own items saves you lots of cash.

Quote:

The compass is not that easy to use or get the hang of. Instead of a mini-map it is a straight bar with directions on it and numerous icons below the bar.

You have two options. You maps, which are easy to use bit a bit out of the way (pip-boy 3000), or--yes--use the compass. A solid upwards facing triangle on the compass is the direction of your main quest. A hollowed one is the custom marker you can set on the map, and the little triangles are the "points of interest".

Quote:

No way to tell in the inventory if an item is a one-use stat increase item (like the book in the beginning) or if it just enhances that stat temporarily.

Books are the only items (that I can recall) that can permanantly increase your stats.
post #96 of 1710 Old 10-29-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

Did think of another minor quirk - when making your character, if you select facial hair, the only way to remove it (during creation anyway) is to back up and select a new default face. I had tweaked my face a whole bunch and had to lose it because I didn't like any of the facial hair options! However, I think I liked the replacement face I made better anyway.

Very minor spoiler
If you go the good route in megaton and disarm the bomb the sheriff will give you a home in the town to the left of the entrance. Inside you have a robot butler who will give you a haircut and you can change hairstyle and facial hair at any time. You also have a display case for all bobble heads found.

So far this game is awesome. I'm thinking about it right now lol.

Pretty much this is how it went
6pm - game goes in

7pm - "this game rocks"

8:15pm - hit guide button and think to myself "good 2 more hours to play before I have to go to bed and get plenty of rest for tomorrow."

12:45am - hit guide button again after what feels like 30 min of playing "aw ****"

Gamertag: Dejected Santa
post #97 of 1710 Old 10-29-2008, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Inside you have a robot butler who will give you a haircut and you can change hairstyle and facial hair at any time. You also have a display case for all bobble heads found.

Cool, thanks. But as I said in a previous post - after saying to the sheriff "I don't think I can disarm it" when I first looked at the bomb it only gives me an option to arm it, did I lose the disarm option because of what I said in the dialog tree?
post #98 of 1710 Old 10-29-2008, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Where is it? I've checked Ars and all that is there is a GH:WT review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemugg View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by warcrow
I'll let you know on the 28th on Ars Technica (they invited me to come back from my Spore review), that's when the embargo is up and the review goes live.

For now, I'm just playing and playing and playing.

Where is it? I've checked Ars and all that is there is a GH:WT review.

Yes where is it at? We have waited patiently.

It's finally up! I've been waiting to gey this to you guys.

Here is a snip:
Quote:

Just a few feet in front of me stands a balding, wiry man who wants to kill me. He snaps at me with a loathsome tone for asking a line of ethical questions about his occupation of slave trader. Sun-weathered skin cracks around his mouth as he barks "get yer ass out of here if you don't like it then!" I relent and cool him down a bit. I inform him that I would like to inspect and possibly acquire several of his goods, but I am swiftly denied.

Perhaps he knows of my true intent, to rescue two children who have recently vanished from a neighboring shantytown. He hints to me that I can gain entrance to his slave pen if I offer him the right sum of caps, which are the legal tender in the Wastelands. Better yet, giving him a slave from a nearby town might improve my odds. I question whether I should even continue this harrowing discussion as I eye the road behind me.

I notice a raggedy man in a hockey mask standing behind him, holding a rifle. I quickly pull out my combat shotgun and literally blow the balding slaver's head right off. The grunt in the background raises that shotgun of his, but I put an end to things before he can even pull the trigger. I have found a more favorable solution and fashioned my own means of entry outside of the dialog tree. I'll continue my search for those kids, but first I'll pick these bodies clean of munitions and rations. This was my way of doing things in one of the numerous side-quests in Bethesda's long-awaited and skeptically-approached take on the Fallout franchise, Fallout 3.

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/games...t-3-review.ars

Enjoy.
post #99 of 1710 Old 10-29-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:

Cool, thanks. But as I said in a previous post - after saying to the sheriff "I don't think I can disarm it" when I first looked at the bomb it only gives me an option to arm it, did I lose the disarm option because of what I said in the dialog tree?

Try talking to him again and see if you still have that option in the dialogue tree. You can also try making a save and use the bomb anyway. I think when I did it the words were arm the bomb but when I used it I had 2 options arm the bomb and attempt to disarm the bomb.

post #100 of 1710 Old 10-29-2008, 10:20 AM

Man, what a cool game! Picked it up yesterday. I lol'd when some junkie cyber woman in the school at the beginning was like "Where ya hidin'?" then I come around the corner, put on vats and .45 shot to the skull, exploding brain matter everywhere
post #101 of 1710 Old 10-29-2008, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisx View Post

On the PC version, there is sprint/run.. caps lock or hold left shift... so Id be surprised if it wasn't there somewhere.

It is all on the analog with the controller, push all the way to run and less so to walk slower.
post #102 of 1710 Old 10-29-2008, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by warcrow View Post

Where are you playing this game? In 50 hours of game time on the X360 version I did not see this happen once.

Happens every time I kill something. Once you kill it, if you are still looking at it, the cursor stays red. 30 hours in and it does it every time.

Quote:

Not exactly. You only become "encumbered" once you reach you weight limit, and even then just means you cannot run.

No, it is exactly like that. I can easily load up, and walk like you are in molasses. Every step is like a thousand pounds on your back. Take some stuff off and he walks a little faster. Take some more off and it is yet faster. Easily duplicated and it happens every time I load up on stuff.

post #103 of 1710 Old 10-29-2008, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylebisme View Post

It is all on the analog with the controller, push all the way to run and less so to walk slower.

That is the "run" mode? Wow, that is some slow running.

post #104 of 1710 Old 10-29-2008, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Questions for people further in the game than me:

If you leave items somewhere, or even in your house, will they be there when you return later?

Do you heal at all when you "wait"?

How do you build things?

The guy outside Megaton wanting water - can I fill a cup with water and take it to him, or do I have to essentially buy water for it to be transportable?
post #105 of 1710 Old 10-29-2008, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Happens every time I kill something. Once you kill it, if you are still looking at it, the cursor stays red. 30 hours in and it does it every time.

No no--what platform?
post #106 of 1710 Old 10-29-2008, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you leave items somewhere, or even in your house, will they be there when you return later?

If you don't own the container, there is no guarantee the items will still be there. If you want to save items, put them in a container in your home.

Quote:

Do you heal at all when you "wait"?

Wait? No. Sleep? Yes.

Quote:

How do you build things?

I think you need your repair skill high enough - plus have plans. I can build bottlecap mines, tho I haven't tried yet. I haven't yet been able to repair existing weapons.

Quote:

The guy outside Megaton wanting water - can I fill a cup with water and take it to him, or do I have to essentially buy water for it to be transportable?

You will find bottled water out in the world. You can give him some of that.
post #107 of 1710 Old 10-29-2008, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No, it is exactly like that. I can easily load up, and walk like you are in molasses. Every step is like a thousand pounds on your back. Take some stuff off and he walks a little faster. Take some more off and it is yet faster. Easily duplicated and it happens every time I load up on stuff.

Are you sure you are playing Fallout 3? How much stuff are you carrying? IIRC, I have a strength of 5, and I can carry 200 lbs of stuff without any ill effects. Look at your Pip-Boy; it should tell you how much weight you are carrying, and what your "max" is before you are encumbered. Maybe if you are over that limit, it gets progressively worse the more you carry. But I can promise you that for my character, 10 lbs or 200 lbs of gear results in the exact same speed.
post #108 of 1710 Old 10-29-2008, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foosinho View Post

I think you need your repair skill high enough - plus have plans. I can build bottlecap mines, tho I haven't tried yet. I haven't yet been able to repair existing weapons.

Ahhh, I need to find the plans then - I thought if your skill was high enough you could just tinker with items. I was able to use Repair - I repaired a police baton using another police baton, don't know how that would work LOL
post #109 of 1710 Old 10-29-2008, 01:27 PM

Encumberence doesn't take effect until you are over your limit.
post #110 of 1710 Old 10-29-2008, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
maybe you are constantly in crouch?

Mits-WS55413;Denon-3803;ToshibaXA1 HD-DVD;Klipsch- RF35;Samsung-TS160;SVS PB12plus/2
XBL GT - se7entee7
post #111 of 1710 Old 10-29-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foosinho View Post

To create weapons you just need plans and the items required. Repair level determines the starting condition of created weapons.

To repair an item you need more than one of the same item. Just go over it and press Y. You will combine the items to make one in better condition. This works for weapons and clothes/armor

post #112 of 1710 Old 10-29-2008, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejected Santa View Post

To repair an item you need more than one of the same item. Just go over it and press Y. You will combine the items to make one in better condition. This works for weapons and clothes/armor

Ah. So you don't need a workbench for this? You can do it right in your inventory? And does your repair skill impact how much of improvement you see in your weapon?
post #113 of 1710 Old 10-29-2008, 09:22 PM

I guess W>W's Fallout thread went by the wayside?
post #114 of 1710 Old 10-30-2008, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I really want the hard drive install option soon, the entire time I play this game, even if paused or in the PIP Boy, it sounds like my Xbox is prepping for takeoff.

*eta a couple things I forgot

The opening intro before you're born had a lot of tearing in the middle of the screen.

I do notice popup when roaming the wastelands, but it's not near as bad as some games, such as GTA4.

Those raiders are nasty! Not that tough, but they had some whacked out s*** going on in that elementary school. Sick bastards.

Question about Dogmeat - I want to keep this mostly spoiler free, so please don't tell me where he is, but my question is: do you need the Animal Friend perk to get him?
post #115 of 1710 Old 10-30-2008, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

The opening intro before you're born had a lot of tearing in the middle of the screen.

I do notice popup when roaming the wastelands, but it's not near as bad as some games, such as GTA4.

Me too. Really don't understand why there is tearing in the middle of the intro which appears to be just pre-recorded video.
post #116 of 1710 Old 10-30-2008, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No no--what platform?

Dang game locked up twice now in the same day. First time ever I actually got an all blue screen. The CD drive stopped spinning and the screen just went all light blue. Never saw that before.

post #117 of 1710 Old 10-30-2008, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post

Me too. Really don't understand why there is tearing in the middle of the intro which appears to be just pre-recorded video.

Wasn't that a downloadable trailer as well? I don't remember any tearing then.
post #118 of 1710 Old 10-30-2008, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Books are the only items (that I can recall) that can permanantly increase your stats.

Do you mean bobbleheads (360 version)? 'Cause I've seen lots of books but it would be stealing to take any of them. I have gotten stat increases (well, 10% medicine and +1 perception) from bobbleheads.

As for the bomb, all I get is "Activate the bomb" as a prompt, but when I click it says my explosives skill isn't high enough. I suspect that the wording is poorly chosen and the default action is to disarm the bomb, as I think you need an additional piece to EXPLODE the bomb, unless you want to be at ground zero when it goes up :P

I'm gonna try to finish Dead Space before I dive into this game. Alas, my desire for DS (which is a fantastic game) has dropped to ZERO after playing Fallout 3 (which is just so much more fantastical)
post #119 of 1710 Old 10-30-2008, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I hope both paths from Megaton give you a house.
post #120 of 1710 Old 10-30-2008, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisx View Post

I hope both paths from Megaton give you a house.

They do.
(Your choice of a hovel or a fancy penthouse.)
But do you really want to do such a wicked thing to those poor ragged souls?
Tsk! For considering the lying path...
Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page