Forum Jump: 

post #1681 of 1710 Old 10-09-2010, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post

Seems to be a slam dunk for Tenpenny, since you have a radiation-free bathroom. On the other hand, the Megaton shack has a bobblehead display, of which I'm not sure the purpose or benefit. A third option is completing all the Megaton side quests then moving to Tenpenny.

At the risk of spoilers, the Megaton choice is more compatible with the positive karma life, and the dangers of radiation are manageable by various means. I never came close to death from radiation except when I chose to. If you are a "nasty person", I'd recommend the Tenpenny path.

I hope this provides enough without giving too much away. Let me know if you want more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1682 of 1710 Old 10-09-2010, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

Thanks for all of your replies.

I'm at the point in Megaton where I have to make a decision. After creating a save point, I played it out and it turns out I could wind up living in a Tenpenny penthouse or have a shack in Megaton. Seems to be a slam dunk for Tenpenny, since you have a radiation-free bathroom. On the other hand, the Megaton shack has a bobblehead display, of which I'm not sure the purpose or benefit. A third option is completing all the Megaton side quests then moving to Tenpenny.

This may have been posted earlier in this thread, but I'm trying to avoid spoilers. Does anyone have any insight?

Thanks!

I picked a moral direction for my character and tried to stick with it. I mean sometimes in video games I try to go with "what’s the best" selection in the game but mostly (especially with RPGS) I try to role play my character. As my characters are usually good guys it was a slam dunk in the opposite direction for me and I saved megaton.

Fallout however has few slam dunks. They did a good job balancing the game and picking Tennpenny may make you miss out on some other stuff... I wonder if it even makes you miss out on the Tennpenny quest later? That quest is definitely not a slam dunk either. Lots of ambiguity in this game.
post #1683 of 1710 Old 10-17-2010, 04:21 PM

Okay, pls. bear w/ me. I know there are 57 pages of information on here. I've gotten the wiki site from one of the more recent pages.

Any tips to getting started? Like attributes that are a waste, etc.? Handguns are good, bazookas suck? Etc.?

This will be my RPG fix until March when Dragon Age 2 hits.
post #1684 of 1710 Old 10-17-2010, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Make sure to use VATS as often as possible.

The two absolute must-have perks are Educated and Comprehension. Take Educated first and, as said before, don't read any books until you take Comprehension.
post #1685 of 1710 Old 10-17-2010, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post

Okay, pls. bear w/ me. I know there are 57 pages of information on here. I've gotten the wiki site from one of the more recent pages.

Any tips to getting started? Like attributes that are a waste, etc.? Handguns are good, bazookas suck? Etc.?

This will be my RPG fix until March when Dragon Age 2 hits.

Best attributes to focus at the beginning are Speech, Small Guns, Lock picking, Repair and Intelligence. Big and energy weapons are that powerful. Small guns includes rifle. Speech enables you to win the speech challenge easily. For speech challenge that requires you to do a side quests, you can always do the side quests at a later time if you win the speech challenge.
post #1686 of 1710 Old 10-17-2010, 07:21 PM

I read something about VATS being controversial. What's wrong with it? It seems to be pretty kickass. Use VATS, then manual combat while your AP regens, then VATS again.
post #1687 of 1710 Old 10-18-2010, 12:43 AM

Liked: 93
Anyone that doesn't like VATS is playing the wrong game. There's nothing controversial about it.
post #1688 of 1710 Old 10-19-2010, 05:23 AM

Thanks for the tip.

Also, if I have extra stuff that I don't want to sell yet, can I store it in my filing cabinet/desk in my house without it ever disappearing on me?
post #1689 of 1710 Old 10-19-2010, 05:52 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the tip.

Also, if I have extra stuff that I don't want to sell yet, can I store it in my filing cabinet/desk in my house without it ever disappearing on me?

Yes, you can store it in any locker etc that is indicated with green text & it will be safe.
post #1690 of 1710 Old 10-19-2010, 06:51 AM

It's safe not just in your house, but other containers. For example, I cleaned out the loot in the Sooper Dooper Market, but it was too heavy to carry home in one trip, so I put the excess into a cash register. It was safe even when there were surviving raiders in the building.

Wasteland cash registers are obviously a lot larger on the inside than the outside.
post #1691 of 1710 Old 10-19-2010, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBO Possum View Post

It's safe not just in your house, but other containers. For example, I cleaned out the loot in the Sooper Dooper Market, but it was too heavy to carry home in one trip, so I put the excess into a cash register. It was safe even when there were surviving raiders in the building.

Wasteland cash registers are obviously a lot larger on the inside than the outside.

That's actually not safe. There is no guarantee those items will be there when you go back. They might be, they might not be. The only safe places where items are guaranteed not to disappear are in your home(s).
post #1692 of 1710 Old 10-19-2010, 11:11 AM

I stand corrected! However, I have never lost any items stashed in public places in several hundred hours of gameplay. Maybe I shouldn't push my luck ;-)
post #1693 of 1710 Old 10-27-2010, 07:21 PM

Right after Fawkes joined me, I fast-traveled back to Megaton to dump some items. But Fawkes is nowhere to be seen, even after I went to the Museum of History. Has anyone else come across this? How can I get him back?
post #1694 of 1710 Old 10-27-2010, 07:57 PM

Liked: 93
Companions in 3 are so very broken. So much so that they aren't worth the hassle. Be thankful that Fawkes got eaten by a grue.
post #1695 of 1710 Old 10-28-2010, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I actually had a Sears gift card burning a hole in my pocket so grabbed this on spur-of-the-moment out of their bargain bin.

Unfortunately I didn't know too much about it and grabbed the PS3 version (I have all 3 systems) then when I got home found out the 360 version is better and there's a GOTY edition with the DLC included. I guess I should pay attention to these things.

I guess I don't really want the PS3 version, but Sears didn't have anything else either so I'd rather not return it. Was hoping Gamestop might do me a solid and let me trade in my new PS3 copy for a used 360 copy, but that's a no-go (not surprising).

Never used Goozex, but would that be a good way to offload my PS3 copy?
post #1696 of 1710 Old 10-28-2010, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Never used Goozex, but would that be a good way to offload my PS3 copy?

Yes, in the sense that you would get to trade it away immediately (there is more demand for that game than supply right now). The bad news is the same is true for the Xbox version of the game, so you'd have to wait a while in the queue to get something for your points.

And 300 points (the current value for the PS3 version of FO3) is not a lot.

I use Goozex a ton, but it definitely isn't for "impulse" trading. You need to know in advance what games you are interested in, because there is always a queue, and sometimes a very very long queue. And sometimes, the same holds true for trading away games - you may have to sit in the queue a while. So it helps to have a "master plan".

Oh, and I don't think you can "get your money out", other than trading for games and then selling those out of the system. You used to be able to buy new games with accumulated points (at a significant markup compared to the par value of the points), but I don't think you can do that anymore.
post #1697 of 1710 Old 10-28-2010, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
^ Thanks. I'll give it a shot because I have a handful of games I want to offload anyways.

I suppose I could just play the PS3 version, but would rather not, I guess...especially since it's such a long game anyways, I might as well get the better version if possible.
post #1698 of 1710 Old 11-20-2010, 11:50 AM

I tried this for a good 15 hours or so. I just couldn't get into it. I really WANTED to get into it. And after about hour 10 I was almost DETERMINED to get into it seeing as how I couldn't return it back to Gamestop and I had ponied up for the strategy guide.

I just - couldn't get into it. I can certainly see the allure - the wide open nature and the go your own way type of feel. There were always quests to get me back in line when I found myself wandering too much.

I think the problem for me was I didn't have the massive amount of time to sink into it. As I'm married w/ 2 little ones, my gaming time tends to be focused so I need something that satisfies as well as keeps me engaged. Moving around all these environments and needing to look at all the items, collecting, etc. really took away from feeling like I accomplished a whole lot in my sittings.

Dragon Age origins was a little like this, but much more satisfying too me because I felt like I did something worthwhile at the end of every session. Plus, while there was exploring and item searching - there wasn't as much to the point of distraction.

Not a game for me, Fallout 3. Obviously others will disagree as it has a huge following. I wanted to like it - I really did.
post #1699 of 1710 Old 11-20-2010, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I tried this for a good 15 hours or so. I just couldn't get into it. I really WANTED to get into it. And after about hour 10 I was almost DETERMINED to get into it seeing as how I couldn't return it back to Gamestop and I had ponied up for the strategy guide.

I just - couldn't get into it. I can certainly see the allure - the wide open nature and the go your own way type of feel. There were always quests to get me back in line when I found myself wandering too much.

I think the problem for me was I didn't have the massive amount of time to sink into it. As I'm married w/ 2 little ones, my gaming time tends to be focused so I need something that satisfies as well as keeps me engaged. Moving around all these environments and needing to look at all the items, collecting, etc. really took away from feeling like I accomplished a whole lot in my sittings.

Dragon Age origins was a little like this, but much more satisfying too me because I felt like I did something worthwhile at the end of every session. Plus, while there was exploring and item searching - there wasn't as much to the point of distraction.

Not a game for me, Fallout 3. Obviously others will disagree as it has a huge following. I wanted to like it - I really did.

Fallout 3 is the type of RPG that requires a lot of wondering and exploration. I also agree that with less hours of playing, DA: O is much quicker to the point. Personally, I prefer DA: O style without countless hours of wondering everywhere.

If you just want to get the main story quest out of Fallout 3 without spending a lot of time since you already bought the game, start the game with high speech skill, small guns, intelligence and play the game in easiest difficulty. With high speech skills, you can talk your way through just about any speech challenge so that you are not required to do the side quests to continue on with the main story quest. Always save the game before the speech challenge because even you failed, reloading from the saved game a few times will let you win. Intelligence allows you to level up quicker. Small guns are common weapons you find such as hunting rifle. Playing in easiest difficulty is very easy to stay alive. At least that way, you get to see the main story.

One more thing if you choose to try play the main story quest as I suggested. Later in one of the story chapter that you are in "Black&White", you can skip to the end of the chapter with an alternate solution. The entire chapter is forcing you play several silly kid's game to escape.
post #1700 of 1710 Old 11-20-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D View Post

Fallout 3 is the type of RPG that requires a lot of wondering and exploration. I also agree that with less hours of playing, DA: O is much quicker to the point. Personally, I prefer DA: O style without countless hours of wondering everywhere.

If you just want to get the main story quest out of Fallout 3 without spending a lot of time since you already bought the game, start the game with high speech skill, small guns, intelligence and play the game in easiest difficulty. With high speech skills, you can talk your way through just about any speech challenge so that you are not required to do the side quests to continue on with the main story quest. Always save the game before the speech challenge because even you failed, reloading from the saved game a few times will let you win. Intelligence allows you to level up quicker. Small guns are common weapons you find such as hunting rifle. Playing in easiest difficulty is very easy to stay alive. At least that way, you get to see the main story.

One more thing if you choose to try play the main story quest as I suggested. Later in one of the story chapter that you are in "Black&White", you can skip to the end of the chapter with an alternate solution. The entire chapter is forcing you play several silly kid's game to escape.

Thanks for tips !
post #1701 of 1710 Old 11-20-2010, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for tips !

Here's a map of the Wasteland that includes all the Bubblehead locations and DLC entry locations. I inverted the Wasteland map so that it's easier to read when you print it on a paper.

Hopefully that saves you a little time if you feel like looking for the Bobbleheads because they do add extra points for your skills. So, they are not just for collection. Some are easy to find but some are hard because they are located deep inside the buildings with a lot of enemies.

I got the original Wasteland map from the Fallout 3 Wiki. It's a good source of information site if you got lost in the game or trying to figure out anything else you missed.

With the Wasteland map it makes it easier to find the locations (there is a perk when you level up to 20 that you can choose to reveal all locations on the map but by then you probably don't need it anyway). Try to walk close to nearby locations if you happened to be passing by to your story quest destination. Once you found the locations, you can fast travel to them as long there isn't any nearby enemy. Some locations are a pain to get in and out. But once you have found it, you can fast travel in and out the next time.

Find a place that has easy access to store your loots at the beginning. The house in Megaton is a nice one but you do need to disarm the bomb that requires certain level of skills. If you don't want to disarm it, find a locker that is close to the fast travel drop point. Once you get to Rivet City (part of the story quest), it has reliable lockers to store your loots.

If you have Operation Anchorange DLC, it could be worth your time to play it as early as possible in the game. The reasons are it's not very long and easiest DLC. The best rewards you get after completing it is Chinese Stealth and very tough armors. I mapped both armors to the D-pad. When I'm traveling without nearby enemies, the Stealth suit is light weight and becomes invisible when sneaking. It's fun using a sword to cut the enemy's head off one by one without the enemies nearby knowing you are there. I can quickly use the D-pad to switch to the tough armor when I need to protect myself. If you do get the stealth suit, try to take care of it because it's difficult to find another type of recon armor that can fix the stealth suit. But if you prefer to hurry through the main story quests, you don't need them in the easiest difficulty.
LL
post #1702 of 1710 Old 11-21-2010, 01:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes its not a game for those of us with little time on our hands. If you think Fallout 3 is bad then stay away from Oblivion ! Its awesome but I seem to remember having 90 hours in that before I even became reasonably proficient with basic weaponry (I didn't touch magic until I was forced to in the main plot!)

Fallout 3 is like a minigame in comparison

I was playing Oblivion for easily 18 months to finish the main quest line (gave up on one of the add-ons...not enough time and too much dungeon crawling). Fallout 3 took me about 3 months for the main plot line , the addons you can usually do in about a day or less. I don't rush though , kill everything pickup and sell anything of value , sometimes just go for a wander , return to each location and pick up any loot if I'm overburdened...etc.

If you are not really into these games I can understand why they are frustrating from a time consideration ...amazing games though , my advice is to go with the flow and don't rush them. Also let the games unfold naturally as you play them , don't look at strategy guides to milk every best outcome from the plot .

digital film janitor
post #1703 of 1710 Old 11-22-2010, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHDTVDiet View Post

I picked a moral direction for my character and tried to stick with it. I mean sometimes in video games I try to go with "what's the best" selection in the game but mostly (especially with RPGS) I try to role play my character. As my characters are usually good guys it was a slam dunk in the opposite direction for me and I saved megaton.

Fallout however has few slam dunks. They did a good job balancing the game and picking Tennpenny may make you miss out on some other stuff... I wonder if it even makes you miss out on the Tennpenny quest later? That quest is definitely not a slam dunk either. Lots of ambiguity in this game.

You get the Tenpenny quest no matter what choice you make in Megaton, it just plays out differently depending on what you choose.

Still searching for that elusive, "perfect" sound
Gamertag: Going Top Shelf
post #1704 of 1710 Old 11-22-2010, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post

Yes its not a game for those of us with little time on our hands. If you think Fallout 3 is bad then stay away from Oblivion ! Its awesome but I seem to remember having 90 hours in that before I even became reasonably proficient with basic weaponry (I didn't touch magic until I was forced to in the main plot!)

Fallout 3 is like a minigame in comparison

I was playing Oblivion for easily 18 months to finish the main quest line (gave up on one of the add-ons...not enough time and too much dungeon crawling). Fallout 3 took me about 3 months for the main plot line , the addons you can usually do in about a day or less. I don't rush though , kill everything pickup and sell anything of value , sometimes just go for a wander , return to each location and pick up any loot if I'm overburdened...etc.

If you are not really into these games I can understand why they are frustrating from a time consideration ...amazing games though , my advice is to go with the flow and don't rush them. Also let the games unfold naturally as you play them , don't look at strategy guides to milk every best outcome from the plot .

I have a 1 year old as well, so my gaming time is very limited too. You have to realize that playing one of these games is an investment and understand that if you play a Bethesda game, this might be one of just a few games you play all year. I picked up Fallout 3 in early February when my son was 2 months old. I "finished" the game in mid-August after about 120 hours of game play. I played Oblivion for 8 months straight and put in over 200 hours in that one. I still have Broken Steel and Point Lookout to finish before being done with all the DLC. The trade off is that I missed many great games in the interim like Mass Effect 2, Halo: Reach, and others. I'm OK with that. If you are the ADHD sort, these games will NOT appeal to you.

post #1705 of 1710 Old 11-22-2010, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Fallout 3 is a classic! I still havent't finished The Pitt, Point Lookout and the "UFO Alien" missions.

Broken Steel was amazing!!

I lost my saves when I bought the Xbox "Slim", so I have to start over again.
post #1706 of 1710 Old 11-22-2010, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

Fallout 3 is a classic! I still havent't finished The Pitt, Point Lookout and the "UFO Alien" missions.

Couldn't you just transfer the contents of your previous hard drive using this?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...CWVNYHFC5JNVQB

post #1707 of 1710 Old 11-22-2010, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

The Pitt DLC can be over quickly if you enter the pitt with a basic weapon by not getting yourself all beaten up at the entrance. You can quickly take out some guards without any guards nearby to attack you, take the weapons, "run" through the arena, pick a side, forget collecting all the bricks, and the DLC is over. Finding all the bricks took the most time for me. Point Lookout DLC is the longest of all the DLCs because there are many side quests in the new location.

One good thing about having to start over Fallout 3 from the beginning is you can play the game differently. One of my playthroughs, I tried use the peaceful solution with everyone possible as long the event isn't scripted to always kill someone. With highest speech skill, it's possible to win every possible speech challenge.

And there a lot of little things such as tapes you find while exploring the Wasteland that could activate non-quest event on certain characters back story when you meet them. I don't think it's possible to do every possible non-quest events in Fallout 3 on a single playthrough.
post #1708 of 1710 Old 11-14-2013, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Fallout 3 GOTY is now in the $14.99 series at Best Buy along with a bunch of other titles like Halo Wars and Halo 3: ODST.
post #1709 of 1710 Old 11-15-2013, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

Fallout 3 GOTY is now in the $14.99 series at Best Buy along with a bunch of other titles like Halo Wars and Halo 3: ODST.

I also saw the Fallout: New Vegas special edition with DLC for $14.99 at a local Best Buy (Danvers, MA) last week.
post #1710 of 1710 Old 11-16-2013, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

I also saw the Fallout: New Vegas special edition with DLC for $14.99 at a local Best Buy (Danvers, MA) last week.

I only see the original release at that price. Ultimate Edition is $19.99.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page