Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 10626 Old 09-25-2007, 03:24 PM
A.C
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
today has been a good day. not only did i pick up H3... but my JVC & Senn 595's got delivered too. i haven't put much time into the setup - but i can say without hesitation that the new cans are light years better than my old gear. my first impression of the JVC was not that strong however. it will require more testing - but i didn't notice a huge jump in SS with H2/3 - not that i'm complaining. i'm sure it will be a fun gadget to tinker with regardless.

more to come...

XBL: HiFi Buckeye
PSN: hifibuckeye
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 10626 Old 09-25-2007, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I wish headphone out was one of my search criteria for a lcd tv. I didn't even consider it. My tv does have a digital out, but no analog out nor headphone out. It looks like I might have to buy a reciever tonight when I get halo 3. Damn, I thought the headphone amp would work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Have you tried the audio out on your TV? You said that on your second Xbox you have HDMI running to that set. Maybe you could use the composite audio out on the TV if you have it.

post #303 of 10626 Old 09-25-2007, 04:48 PM
A.C
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindwarper View Post

Can you have digital and analog out at the same time?

The short answer to this question is - Yes. I currently have my optical (digital) output powering my JVC headphone adaptor AND I have the analog White/Red RCA's going to my A/V receiver. Both produce sound concurrently.

However please note I am using the VGA adaptor. HDMI might be an entirely different ball game in terms of how signals get processed.

post #304 of 10626 Old 09-25-2007, 05:10 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.C View Post

today has been a good day. not only did i pick up H3... but my JVC & Senn 595's got delivered too. i haven't put much time into the setup - but i can say without hesitation that the new cans are light years better than my old gear. my first impression of the JVC was not that strong however. it will require more testing - but i didn't notice a huge jump in SS with H2/3 - not that i'm complaining. i'm sure it will be a fun gadget to tinker with regardless.

more to come...

You can always get a 5.1 headset to see if it does a better job..

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
post #305 of 10626 Old 09-25-2007, 05:13 PM
A.C
Advanced Member

not likely

i'm happy with my 595's. very. however my thinking is the JVC is not mission critical.

post #306 of 10626 Old 09-25-2007, 05:23 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

not likely

i'm happy with my 595's. very. however my thinking is the JVC is not mission critical.

Too bad.. I really liked using it for gaming on my friends PC.. Glad you like the 595's..

post #307 of 10626 Old 09-25-2007, 05:27 PM
A.C
Advanced Member

well like i said, i'm more than willing to tinker with it. truth be told i have put very limited time into critiquing the various modes, etc. it was just my initial impression that the DH technology was not night & day.

post #308 of 10626 Old 09-25-2007, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I wish headphone out was one of my search criteria for a lcd tv. I didn't even consider it. My tv does have a digital out, but no analog out nor headphone out. It looks like I might have to buy a reciever tonight when I get halo 3. Damn, I thought the headphone amp would work.

the TV should have RCA audio out (red/white) and you can just get a 3 dollar adapter to headphone.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #309 of 10626 Old 09-26-2007, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodedSoldier View Post

Yeah the sound quality is not bad at all. Very good for gaming. LIke the more recent post said they are good. They just weren't comfortable on my ears and made my ears hot so i couldn't justify the 100 dollar price tag if i could barely wear them. I picked up the sens 515's yesterday all i did is put the original ms headset around my neck for a mic as i couldn't find a mic yesterday. As you see i'm gonna buy as many as i can before i get the 555's which aren't returnable since jnr has no return policy only a exchange oh and i wanna buy a ipod touch lol

Excellent. And thanks for getting back to me on the mic issue. The solution seems obvious now.

post #310 of 10626 Old 09-26-2007, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 195
My Pioneer SE-DIR800Cs shipped out yesterday, but it's going to take until Tuesday for delivery I'll probably be through Halo3 singleplayer before they even show up. I just couldn't justify the $20+ premium to upgrade from free ground shipping. I guess I'll wait to return my Senn RS130s on Monday.

Is the hookup for these as simple as connecting the digital out on my receiver to the base unit? I've never used the audio out on my HK 635 receiver and I'm wondering if it is just a line out or does the volume control the output level as well? I guess it won't matter either way since the headphones have a built in volume control, but I'm hoping it is just a line out. Also, what is the best surround setting for the 360 for these headphones?

Does anyone have a mic suggestion for the Pioneers? I figure I may hack apart my 360 mic and reengineer something.

post #311 of 10626 Old 09-26-2007, 07:21 AM

Quote:

Still doesn't work. Moved it to digital stereo. Can't find any analog settings. The line level signal might be too low. I might have to buy an reciever tonight. Halo 3 co op calls. It says you should put more debt on your credit card and buy an amp. And two copies of the game. Any other suggestions for getting the game sound to headphones?

Sorry this didn't work for you. I'll check the cabling to the DeskTop can amp this evening. I thought I was using analog cables, but the amp has a DAC so that may be the path the 360 is connected to.

When using Dolby 5.1 on the 360 audio panel, I was getting a 'fluttering' noise thru the can amp. Switching to digital stereo fixed that issue for me.
post #312 of 10626 Old 09-26-2007, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I found out the analog out is too low a level (line level) for a headphone amp. I couldn't find a cheap amp with two optical inputs (360, ps2), so I just used one of my old amps to the analog out. It works fine. So you can have digital out via hdmi and analog out at the same time. I do wish the 360 had headphone out. Or that my tv did. Having a big amp is just another piece of equipment cluttering my small game room. But having sound on the 2nd 360 for halo 3 was very very important. We had a blast last night. Thanks for the help folks. I will check back and see if anyone finds a better small ac solution.

My other 360 is connected to the amp via optical and I don't get fluttering on the 5.1 setting. Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KShep View Post

Sorry this didn't work for you. I'll check the cabling to the DeskTop can amp this evening. I thought I was using analog cables, but the amp has a DAC so that may be the path the 360 is connected to.

When using Dolby 5.1 on the 360 audio panel, I was getting a 'fluttering' noise thru the can amp. Switching to digital stereo fixed that issue for me.

post #313 of 10626 Old 09-26-2007, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Is the hookup for these as simple as connecting the digital out on my receiver to the base unit? I've never used the audio out on my HK 635 receiver and I'm wondering if it is just a line out or does the volume control the output level as well?

Am I not understanding you?? I also have an HK AVR 635. It has Dolby Headphone! You were in heaven my friend... You didn't need the 5.1 from the Pio's. Anyway, since you got them, just use the optical or the coax digital out. Just as how you described it...
post #314 of 10626 Old 09-26-2007, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanjumper View Post

Am I not understanding you?? I also have an HK AVR 635. It has Dolby Headphone! You were in heaven my friend... You didn't need the 5.1 from the Pio's. Anyway, since you got them, just use the optical or the coax digital out. Just as how you described it...

I'm aware of my receiver having Dolby Headphone, but I can't incorporate the setup in my system. I've ordered wireless IR headphones and don't want to have to plug and unplug the headphones into my receiver each time I use them. Also, it looks like hacked together having this big cord coming out of the front of the AVR and leaving the door open on both my cabinet and receiver. I've got some Senn 130 wireless RF headphones (yuck) that do plug into the front going from composite to 3.5mm to 1/4". At first I was going to get wired and use the DH jack, but decided for wireless due to concerns and hastles involved with my setup. Plus I have a 20 month old daughter that would love to play with my cables if I left them out.

post #315 of 10626 Old 09-26-2007, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm aware of my receiver having Dolby Headphone, but I can't incorporate the setup in my system. I've ordered wireless IR headphones and don't want to have to plug and unplug the headphones into my receiver each time I use them. Also, it looks like hacked together having this big cord coming out of the front of the AVR and leaving the door open on both my cabinet and receiver. I've got some Senn 130 wireless RF headphones (yuck) that do plug into the front going from composite to 3.5mm to 1/4". At first I was going to get wired and use the DH jack, but decided for wireless due to concerns and hastles involved with my setup. Plus I have a 20 month old daughter that would love to play with my cables if I left them out.

I understand.

Today, I played H3 for the first time with the senn's 595 plugged into the Dolby Headphone of my HK AVR 635. AWESOME! I liked it even better compared to using my 5.1 SS. Those Senn 595 headphones are really comfortable. I played like 5 hours with no discomfort whatsoever. I'm very happy with them. Now that I actually experienced DH I decided I'll not get the JVC adapter. This all does mean I'll have to rearrange my HT but it will be worth it. Nevertheless, if the JVC adapter would do the same as the DH I am sure I would enjoy it greatly as well.

Anyone up for a game? My gamertag is Blazed by Dutch

Still an open question: has anyone bought the Datel adapter? I got the Zalman clip-on mic -looks very slick by the way- and am wondering if I could use the Datel adapter for it or that I should hack my current XBL headset. Please note, the Datel adapter would be used only to connect the mic to controller (not the Senn's headphones).
post #316 of 10626 Old 09-26-2007, 08:40 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I understand.

Today, I played H3 for the first time with the senn's 595 plugged into the Dolby Headphone of my HK AVR 635. AWESOME! I liked it even better compared to using my 5.1 SS. Those Senn 595 headphones are really comfortable. I played like 5 hours with no discomfort whatsoever. I'm very happy with them. Now that I actually experienced DH I decided I'll not get the JVC adapter. This all does mean I'll have to rearrange my HT but it will be worth it. Nevertheless, if the JVC adapter would do the same as the DH I am sure I would enjoy it greatly as well.

Still an open question: has anyone bought the Datel adapter? I got the Zalman clip-on mic -looks very slick by the way- and am wondering if I could use the Datel adapter for it or that I should hack my current XBL headset. Please note, the Datel adapter would be used only to connect the mic to controller (not the Senn's headphones).

Smart move.. You really don't need the JVC if you have a reciever that supports DH..

& you like this set up better then your speaker 5.1 SS system? Or a 5.1 SS headset with the 8 drivers?

post #317 of 10626 Old 09-26-2007, 09:31 PM

The only thing that sucks is that with these headsets...it kinda defeats the purpose of having wireless controllers LOL.

So I havent read too much up on this thread, but I believe that the majority prefer the Tritton AX360s?
post #318 of 10626 Old 09-26-2007, 09:34 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Cusack View Post

The only thing that sucks is that with these headsets...it kinda defeats the purpose of having wireless controllers LOL.

So I havent read too much up on this thread, but I believe that the majority prefer the Tritton AX360s?

The Pioneer 5.1 headphones are wireless.
AS far as 5.1 headsets with the 8 drivers? Then yes.. & is a suitable all in one solution.. But there are better alternatives IMO.. Just skim through some pages & get some ideas..

post #319 of 10626 Old 09-26-2007, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI View Post

The Pioneer 5.1 headphones are wireless.
AS far as 5.1 headsets with the 8 drivers? Then yes.. & is a suitable all in one solution.. But there are better alternatives IMO.. Just skim through some pages & get some ideas..

Well I more interested in more quality than more convenience so as long as I can plug these suckers up and can sit 8-10 feet away from my HDTV comfortably while playing Games, watching movies, or listening to music I'm strait.

I understand the tritton AX360 headphones allow you to hear voice chat via XBL and still deliver 5.1 surround sound at the same time? thats too sick if I understood that correctly.

Also I am not sure if the HLT6176S DLP I am getting has the input needed for these headphones. So could someone tell me what input I need to make sure before I buy either?
post #320 of 10626 Old 09-26-2007, 11:10 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well I more interested in more quality than more convenience so as long as I can plug these suckers up and can sit 8-10 feet away from my HDTV comfortably while playing Games, watching movies, or listening to music I'm strait.

I understand the tritton AX360 headphones allow you to hear voice chat via XBL and still deliver 5.1 surround sound at the same time? thats too sick if I understood that correctly.

Also I am not sure if the HLT6176S DLP I am getting has the input needed for these headphones. So could someone tell me what input I need to make sure before I buy either?

You would connect the Trittons to your 360 visa the optical cable..

post #321 of 10626 Old 09-26-2007, 11:17 PM

Quote:

You would connect the Trittons to your 360 visa the optical cable..

Wait so I can't use these to watch movies on my PS3/Blu-ray player? and music and what not?
post #322 of 10626 Old 09-26-2007, 11:23 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wait so I can't use these to watch movies on my PS3/Blu-ray player? and music and what not?

Sure you can.. Optical inputs are universal. They are all made the same, so the Tritton works with any device that supports a optical connection. The triton has its own volume control..

post #323 of 10626 Old 09-27-2007, 01:19 AM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I understand.

The amp in your receiver is better then the amp in the JVC.. More power to drive your headphones, & to some degree the SS effects as well probably. Does it support the DH1/DH2/DH3 modes like the JVC? I know one owner complained of a echo effect? If those modes are eliminated in receivers that support DH, I'm sure he would have had a better gaming experience.. Too bad we can't compare all 3 to see if some are better then others.. JVC/5.1 Pioneer headphones/receivers with DH/ Maybe some use the technology better then others. I really don't know?

post #324 of 10626 Old 09-27-2007, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter

I checked the user manual of my HK AVR 635, it does DH1/DH2/DH3. Quoted from the user manual:
Dolby Headphone Dolby Headphone enables ordinary stereo headphones to portray the sound of a five-speaker surround-playback system.
  • The DH1 mode creates headphone presentation that resembles a small, well-damped room and is appropriate for use with both movies and music-only recordings.
  • The DH2 mode creates a more acoustically live room particularly suited to music listening.
  • The DH3 mode creates a larger room, more like a concert hall or movie theater.

I just played with the default mode (which I assume is DH1). I liked it better compared to my -expensive- 5.1 SS setup: front, center, back speakers KEF KHT 5005, and the 10" Velodyne sub. Wearing the headphones just emerges you so much better.

By the way, until yesterday I played games on my 480p TV (which sits upstairs), yesterday -when testing the DH- I played on my 720p plasma in the living room... OH MY GOD, what a difference. NO way I am going back to 480p gaming...
post #325 of 10626 Old 09-27-2007, 04:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You like this set up better then your speaker 5.1 SS system? Or a 5.1 SS headset with the 8 drivers?

See post above. I have not been able to compare it against a 5.1 SS headset (like the Tritton's).
post #326 of 10626 Old 09-27-2007, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I was trying to get the mic to work with my headphones last night and could not find the voice chat through the speaker option. I know that I've seen it somewhere, but I looked all over the dashboard for the setting to change the voice chat through headset or speakers. In Halo3 it said that it was set to "Headset" and to change it use the Xbox Guide. Where is this setting hiding?

post #327 of 10626 Old 09-27-2007, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I was trying to get the mic to work with my headphones last night and could not find the voice chat through the speaker option. I know that I've seen it somewhere, but I looked all over the dashboard for the setting to change the voice chat through headset or speakers. In Halo3 it said that it was set to "Headset" and to change it use the Xbox Guide. Where is this setting hiding?

In Halo 3 when you press the back button you get "settings". In settings there are two tabs, use the d-pad to go the right tab. Here are the settings for Voice output. Switch to "speakers only". The mic should work regardless how voice output is set.
post #328 of 10626 Old 09-27-2007, 07:18 AM
A.C
Advanced Member

Quote:

Does the mic have a 3.5mm or 2.5mm plug? If the latter... just plug it directly into your controller. The only thing that denies you is mute... which is a minimal inconvenience. The effort to press the mute button is the same to simply unplug the mic. Easy work around IMO.

post #329 of 10626 Old 09-27-2007, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Does the mic have a 3.5mm or 2.5mm plug? If the latter... just plug it directly into your controller. The only thing that denies you is mute... which is a minimal inconvenience.

Zalman mic's plug is too large to plugged directly in the controller. So, you'll need some kind of adapter. It is strange, some guy on Amazon wrote this: "Bought to use with PC headset but didn't support the 3.5mm plug. Only supports 2.5mm Still a great product though"...

So now I am confused... Well, I'll just hack the XBL headset and be done with it...
post #330 of 10626 Old 09-27-2007, 01:09 PM
A.C
Advanced Member

Well I did the "HaD3k JVC mod" today... and the new AC adaptor works flawlessly.

The only thing I'm not 100% satisfied with is the fact I had to bend the positive battery contact in order to grip it with the alligator clips. I wanted to maintain a non-destructive mod... with exception of notching the lid to allow room for the wires.

I suppose a AA battery could still fit inside without too much fuss, so its probably ok. And I realize I'll probably only use it as a mobile device <1% of the time, but I still wanted to maintain an optional battery operation.

That said, I think the result turned out very nice. Thanks HaD3k for the links/pics.

Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page