KBI
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanjumper View Post

I checked the user manual of my HK AVR 635, it does DH1/DH2/DH3. Quoted from the user manual:
Dolby Headphone Dolby Headphone enables ordinary stereo headphones to portray the sound of a five-speaker surround-playback system.
  • The DH1 mode creates headphone presentation that resembles a small, well-damped room and is appropriate for use with both movies and music-only recordings.
  • The DH2 mode creates a more acoustically live room particularly suited to music listening.
  • The DH3 mode creates a larger room, more like a concert hall or movie theater.

I just played with the default mode (which I assume is DH1). I liked it better compared to my -expensive- 5.1 SS setup: front, center, back speakers KEF KHT 5005, and the 10" Velodyne sub. Wearing the headphones just emerges you so much better.

By the way, until yesterday I played games on my 480p TV (which sits upstairs), yesterday -when testing the DH- I played on my 720p plasma in the living room... OH MY GOD, what a difference. NO way I am going back to 480p gaming...

Yeah 300.00 headphones will do that to you..(Retail price) If anyone wants to get hi end SQ on a budget, headphones are your best bet. & stereo isn't the devil..

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 10626 Old 09-27-2007, 09:51 PM

I tried the Turtle Beach X3 out tonight and I have to agree with a few of the past posts.
1) Not comfortable - Ears were hot after 5 minutes
2) Too much noise & static during quite

Taking them back tomorrow.
post #333 of 10626 Old 09-27-2007, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psisco View Post

I tried the Turtle Beach X3 out tonight and I have to agree with a few of the past posts.
1) Not comfortable - Ears were hot after 5 minutes
2) Too much noise & static during quite

Taking them back tomorrow.

man you are going to make me regret returning the X1 ..i exchanged them for the X3

GT: ZIZO79
post #334 of 10626 Old 09-28-2007, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Liked: 12
Guys,

I decided to pick up a JVC adapter after reading the comments here and on other sites. I have two 5.1 systems, one linked to my projector and one linked to a plasma. The Plasma is near the bedrooms and I find myself watching that late at night at times that I dont want to fire up the theater system. So I decided to try this adapter given its reasonable price.

I had low expectations. I typically do not like simulated 5.1 and I couldn't imagine that this would produce a convincing effect.

So...I plug in my Sony V6 headphones, and I load up the Superbit DVD of the Patriot to hear what the DTS soundtrack sounds like through the JVC. I tried the analog connection first. Not too bad...the DH setting produce a reasonable sense of space between my head and the sound source. Not spectacular but a step above regular 2 channel stereo.

Then I plugged in my Optical connection using a mini adapter. HOLY SH@T. The effect knocked my socks off. The sense of space and directionality is better than I would have ever expected. And it is loud...no need for an extra headphone amp inline. I can not believe how real this simulation of 5.1 is coming out of headphones. I actually pulled them off at one point thinking that the sound had to be booming out of my speaker system.

I am incredibly impressed. A bargain at the price. Highly recommended as a sub $100 buck solution.

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #335 of 10626 Old 09-28-2007, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.C View Post

Well I did the "HaD3k JVC mod" today... and the new AC adaptor works flawlessly.

The only thing I'm not 100% satisfied with is the fact I had to bend the positive battery contact in order to grip it with the alligator clips. I wanted to maintain a non-destructive mod... with exception of notching the lid to allow room for the wires.

I suppose a AA battery could still fit inside without too much fuss, so its probably ok. And I realize I'll probably only use it as a mobile device <1% of the time, but I still wanted to maintain an optional battery operation.

That said, I think the result turned out very nice. Thanks HaD3k for the links/pics.

No problem. I'm glad I could help. Sorry you had to bend you pin. It was hard to articulate my twisty tie setup. However I am pleased you got it to work. I'd like to know if you would recommend the JVC adapter to people wishing to bypass using a receiver? My goal personally was to enjoy a surround sound experience without waking my girlfriend during late nights and to spend less than $200 (JVC + Headphones). Do you think the JVC is adequate in this regard? I think other readers in a similar position may benefit from your opinion.
post #336 of 10626 Old 09-28-2007, 12:15 AM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56 View Post

Guys,

I decided to pick up a JVC adapter after reading the comments here and on other sites. I have two 5.1 systems, one linked to my projector and one linked to a plasma. The Plasma is near the bedrooms and I find myself watching that late at night at times that I dont want to fire up the theater system. So I decided to try this adapter given its reasonable price.

I had low expectations. I typically do not like simulated 5.1 and I couldn't imagine that this would produce a convincing effect.

So...I plug in my Sony V6 headphones, and I load up the Superbit DVD of the Patriot to hear what the DTS soundtrack sounds like through the JVC. I tried the analog connection first. Not too bad...the DH setting produce a reasonable sense of space between my head and the sound source. Not spectacular but a step above regular 2 channel stereo.

Then I plugged in my Optical connection using a mini adapter. HOLY SH@T. The effect knocked my socks off. The sense of space and directionality is better than I would have ever expected. And it is loud...no need for an extra headphone amp inline. I can not believe how real this simulation of 5.1 is coming out of headphones. I actually pulled them off at one point thinking that the sound had to be booming out of my speaker system.

I am incredibly impressed. A bargain at the price. Highly recommended as a sub $100 buck solution.

Headphones are very capable as you found out.. It goes beyond just the left & right channel.. Binaural recording prove this 10 fold. & is much more convincing then 5.1.. It's like Audio 3D..It really tricks you..I heard a jarassic park Binaural recording.. The T rex walking, & stomping.. My adrenaline was rushing, my heart was pumping.. Skin getting goose bumps.. Even though I knew it wasn't real my ears told me other wise.. You can find some online by doing a search.. As always some are better then others..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #337 of 10626 Old 09-28-2007, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56 View Post

Guys,

The optical sound on this adapter is fantastic. I actually had to check the TV speakers as well. The sound had me confused for about the first 5 mins, but that just let me know the JVC adapter was top notch. I still think its freaking awesome.
post #338 of 10626 Old 09-28-2007, 12:23 AM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaD3k View Post

The optical sound on this adapter is fantastic. I actually had to check the TV speakers as well. The sound had me confused for about the first 5 mins, but that just let me know the JVC adapter was top notch. I still think its freaking awesome.

I'm still a bit perplexed though. Some people like yourself think the JVC does a good job simulating 5.1 sound.. But others just think it's ok. I guess it's personal preference.

post #339 of 10626 Old 09-28-2007, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Guys - Here a little warning when you want to hack your current XBL headset and solder a clip-on mic (like Zalman's) to it. I screw up mine! The current instructions tell you to solder in the XBL adapter (the thing that plugs into your controller) itself. Well, you have very little room to work there! A better solution is to disassemble to earpiece and use the wires there. I took a picture so you can see yourself. This way you will also not risk pulling the cord from the XBL adapter -later while gaming- and undoing all your fine soldering work.

And you know what? You could even just use the mic from the XBL headset once you have removed the headband and earpiece. Find yourself a solution (Velcro?) to clip just the mic to your shirt or whatever.
LL
post #340 of 10626 Old 09-28-2007, 03:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So, you end up with this (see picture) and you can just reconnect the loose wires)
LL
post #341 of 10626 Old 09-28-2007, 06:20 AM
A.C
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI View Post

I'm still a bit perplexed though. Some people like yourself think the JVC does a good job simulating 5.1 sound.. But others just think it's ok. I guess it's personal preference.

Well here's my perspective:

I can only compare the JVC to two things: regular stereo & my dedicated 5.1 HT. Compared to regular stereo the JVC is awesome b/c it bypasses the receiver and therefore can manage all your sound needs locally. I find it a superior alternative to analog for both control & SQ.

It also produces very nice 3.0 sound (imo). Simulating the rear 2 channels is tough & the LFE .1 channel is really tough. But that is compared to my dedicated HT audio (which cost at least 10x). I think the only reason I am critical of the "5.1" is b/c I'm comparing it to a quality speaker system... which inherently can perform certain tasks better.

That all said, I watched select scenes from the Matrix last night & was very impressed. Again, in certain respects not as good as my home system... but I was ROCKING and my neighbors were none-the-wiser. Had I experienced something similar with my HT I would have been shaking the foundations.

All-in-all I think its a great device. But a person used to good HT should go in with the right expectations. I give it a solid thumbs up.

XBL: HiFi Buckeye
PSN: hifibuckeye
post #342 of 10626 Old 09-28-2007, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanjumper View Post

So, you end up with this (see picture) and you can just reconnect the loose wires)

Thanks for confirming my thoughts, this is exactly what I was thinking about doing because I've got the message pad attached to my 360 controller so the "stock" headset plug with the volume/mute doesn't fit. The headset that came with the message pad has the volume/mute controls inline down about 6 inches from the attachment point at the headset.

post #343 of 10626 Old 09-28-2007, 01:28 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well here's my perspective:

I can only compare the JVC to two things: regular stereo & my dedicated 5.1 HT. Compared to regular stereo the JVC is awesome b/c it bypasses the receiver and therefore can manage all your sound needs locally. I find it a superior alternative to analog for both control & SQ.

It also produces very nice 3.0 sound (imo). Simulating the rear 2 channels is tough & the LFE .1 channel is really tough. But that is compared to my dedicated HT audio (which cost at least 10x). I think the only reason I am critical of the "5.1" is b/c I'm comparing it to a quality speaker system... which inherently can perform certain tasks better.

That all said, I watched select scenes from the Matrix last night & was very impressed. Again, in certain respects not as good as my home system... but I was ROCKING and my neighbors were none-the-wiser. Had I experienced something similar with my HT I would have been shaking the foundations.

All-in-all I think its a great device. But a person used to good HT should go in with the right expectations. I give it a solid thumbs up.

True.

post #344 of 10626 Old 09-29-2007, 06:26 AM

I purchased the Datel adapter and it works with the mic from the Trittons to provide me with "mute" functionality. Using the same thinking, I don't see why it wouldn't work with a clip on mic or any mic with a 2.5mm plug on the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b51cole View Post

Did anyone figure out if the Datel adapter was needed for a clip on mic? or figure anyway to use a clip on mic with a normal set of headphones?

post #345 of 10626 Old 09-29-2007, 06:29 AM

I currently own the Tritton AX360 headphones but now looking at the Sennheiser HD 595. I want to have the best sound experience for gaming AND music and wondered if this would be considered an upgrade with the JVC 5.1 adapter from the Trittons.

Any thoughts?
post #346 of 10626 Old 09-29-2007, 07:16 AM

What does it mean for headphones to be in a balanced configuration?

Quote:

If my headphones weren't in a balanced configuration I'd just get the JVC adapter..

post #347 of 10626 Old 09-29-2007, 12:15 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalDistinction View Post

I currently own the Tritton AX360 headphones but now looking at the Sennheiser HD 595. I want to have the best sound experience for gaming AND music and wondered if this would be considered an upgrade with the JVC 5.1 adapter from the Trittons.

Any thoughts?

Yes. I'd also favor the Dolby headphone for 5.1, ala JVC, DH receivers, pioneer 5.1 headphones, etc.. over any 5.1 headset with the 8 drivers.

post #348 of 10626 Old 09-29-2007, 12:26 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalDistinction View Post

What does it mean for headphones to be in a balanced configuration?

Each driver (Left & Right) is being driven independently & becomes more efficient.. Very, Very, basic explanation.

heres some pics of my balanced SA5000 headphones.
http://apuresound.com/images/cables/hsa5000.html

Theres no more 1/4 jack.. Its been replaced by a female XRL termination, that plugs into a DAC with a XRL male output.
Some cans scale better then others when balanced. You will usually notice a spike in detail, clarity, (sounds become more real & natural) Better bass control..Tighter, more defined bass with better impact.. & larger sound stage.. & less distortion..

post #349 of 10626 Old 09-29-2007, 03:52 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

If anyone is interested theres a Cmoy on Ebay. Arguable the best Cmoy you can find.. sales for 40.00 but performs like a portable amp that cost twice as much.. Has a bass boost that doesn't suck too.. For those that don't know the Cmoy is a popular DIY amp..
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=255253
More info here with the maker himself..

post #350 of 10626 Old 09-29-2007, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

how come in most games you cant adjust the game volume!? gaming with headphones is becoming a pain, because when i set the voice comm's to come over "speakers" (my headphones) the game music/sounds drown out my voice comm's and i cant hear anyone, well i can tell they're talking but cant make out what they're saying.

this is mainly in halo btw, soundtrack is gorgeous, but way too loud!

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #351 of 10626 Old 09-29-2007, 10:41 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

595's made Headrooms 10 top headphone list. For anyone who owns the 595's or those who are thinking about buying a pair..

http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-ap...st-headphones/

595 info & specs.
http://www.headphone.com/products/he...ser-hd-595.php

post #352 of 10626 Old 09-29-2007, 11:27 PM

I bought a pair of 555's and thought it could probably get better with the 595's. Wow, was I wrong. For the money the 555's was every bit as good and I thought better.
post #353 of 10626 Old 09-29-2007, 11:42 PM

Quote:

Yeah 300.00 headphones will do that to you..(Retail price) If anyone wants to get hi end SQ on a budget, headphones are your best bet. & stereo isn't the devil..

it's true; i'm a headphone audiophile and longtime headfi member; i have beyer dt880's, akg k501's, and grado sr60's; i use the beyer's for gaming and even with my pc's soundcard they'r just wonderful

$200 is all you need to spend for a great (read: FANTASTIC) pair of phones on the used market; i highly reccommend headfi's classifieds

for games, i'd stay away from grados, go for senns of beyers, or maybe akg; something circamural, comfortable, with good soundstage

and as mentioned, dolby headphone is great for games and films
post #354 of 10626 Old 09-29-2007, 11:45 PM

Quote:

Headphones are very capable as you found out.. It goes beyond just the left & right channel.. Binaural recording prove this 10 fold. & is much more convincing then 5.1.. It's like Audio 3D..It really tricks you..I heard a jarassic park Binaural recording.. The T rex walking, & stomping.. My adrenaline was rushing, my heart was pumping.. Skin getting goose bumps.. Even though I knew it wasn't real my ears told me other wise.. You can find some online by doing a search.. As always some are better then others..

good binaural has to be heard to be believed; jaw dropping beyond belief
post #355 of 10626 Old 09-30-2007, 07:27 AM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacos View Post

I bought a pair of 555's and thought it could probably get better with the 595's. Wow, was I wrong. For the money the 555's was every bit as good and I thought better.

preference also plays a part.. Albeit, the 595s are technically the superior headphone.. But doesn't mean you will like them more..

post #356 of 10626 Old 10-01-2007, 06:50 AM
A.C
Advanced Member

Quote:

Each driver (Left & Right) is being driven independently & becomes more efficient.. Very, Very, basic explanation.

KBI - is there a good link you could post regarding a balanced config? I am an engineering graduate student (ie very technically minded) and I'd like to read up on the nitty gritty of this. I didn't find much when I googled**

Thanks. This headfi stuff is fun & like I said earlier, if I'm gonna get wet, I might as well dive into the deep end of the pool

** Scratch that. I found THIS article/review which does a pretty good job. But feel free to add anything more. Interesting stuff...

post #357 of 10626 Old 10-01-2007, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

So I was walking around J&R saturday morning, saw they had the JVC adapter for under $90 and after roughly following this thread, made an impulse purchase. My biggest problem with the adapter was localization which is different then the Dolby Headphone demo I have gone through before. When playing Halo, I was having a tough time telling where sounds were coming from whether left, right or behind. Also, without a headphone amp the bottom end is M.I.A. and I have pretty easy to drive headphones... AKG 81's. Once I hooked up my headphone amp, things got better... I defaulted to DH1 as it seemed to have the least processed sound. Overall, I would have been happier if I paid $40 for it but I am keeping it mainly for late night gaming and watching movies on my laptop.
post #358 of 10626 Old 10-01-2007, 10:27 AM

So has anyone figured out a good way to use an external set of headphones with an XBL mic?? I really want to order the HD555 or HD212pro today, but am having second thoughts because I don't know how I would get a mic working. I thought I would be able to ghetto rig something, but I am having a hard time visualizing something that would work and not be too awkward or expensive. I know I have seen a few ideas mentioned and even a pic or two of hacked up XBL headset, but didn't really see any comments or pics of a working finished product.

Someone please help. Halo 3 in silence is getting really boring. Not to mention I have no idea what is going on because I haven't heard a thing.
post #359 of 10626 Old 10-01-2007, 10:38 AM
A.C
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJOHNB20 View Post

So has anyone figured out a good way to use an external set of headphones with an XBL mic??

Ghetto is easy: Just wear your OEM mic around your neck.

Regardless - all you need to do is plug in a 2.5mm (clip on) microphone into the controller & set the headset audio to output via speakers. And viola.

post #360 of 10626 Old 10-01-2007, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ghetto is easy: Just wear your OEM mic around your neck.

this is the same way i do it, just sucks because even with voice set to output speakers, the voice isnt loud enough to hear during gameplay.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page