What gaming headphones to buy? - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 10626 Old 10-01-2007, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wear it around my neck as well, works great but the voices can be low... you can turn the voice all the way up on the system blades and usually tone the game sounds down in the gaming settings. It's actually easy to get the mic positioned right in front of your mouth instead of near your cheek the typical way.

Ghetto FTW!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 10626 Old 10-01-2007, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYFOOTBALLGIANTS View Post

you can turn the voice all the way up on the system blades and usually tone the game sounds down in the gaming settings.

not in halo 3, every time the action kicks in in co-op, and the soundtrack blares at "11" i can't hear my teammates.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #363 of 10626 Old 10-01-2007, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

The mood music is definitely loud
post #364 of 10626 Old 10-01-2007, 11:54 AM

Well, it sounds like that would at least work for now. I would like something a little more permanent eventually, but I guess I didn't think about something as simple as that.

So, any opinions on Senn HD555 vs HD212pro. I would be using >90% for gaming in my house with the headphone jack on my reciever. There might be a possiblity that I would use these with my ipod, but that would be rare. (I have a cheap ass pair of ear buds that I take to work and don't care if they break)
As far as I can tell, the 555's are going to sound better and possibly be more comfortable(around ear vs on), but be less portable, and cost more. Also maybe have a wider soundstage? I probably won't be gettng the JVC adapter anytime soon, so I would like the best "directionality" out of a stereo headset as possible. From what I understand, the 555's do a pretty good job at this.
I should mention my budget tops out at $100. Anyone seen the 555's cheaper than $99?
post #365 of 10626 Old 10-01-2007, 01:02 PM
A.C
Advanced Member

got my first taste of XBL today (GT = HiFi Buckeye).

first thing to report is the ghetto solution to voice worked fine. i was able to make out people just fine for both lobby & in-game slayer proxy voice. i am using my original XB headset - not the 360 version - fwiw.

secondly, however, is that the directional sound was slightly underwhelming. i'd often be left guessing exactly what direction sound came from... which i am certain would be much more discrete via true 5.1

but by and large a satisfactory solution for the gamer who wants to keep it civil amongst his neighbors. that's for sure.

XBL: HiFi Buckeye
PSN: hifibuckeye
post #366 of 10626 Old 10-01-2007, 01:07 PM

guys,.... there comes a time in most everyone's life where you realize how badly you were wrong and just how far you might have misled ppl.

well,.. for me that time was a few days ago when i posted up that the turtle beach x3 headphones were nice. "I WAS WRONG".

my ears hurt all the time now, and they sweat. Not cool.

along with that is the constant hissing. and the sound isn't that great at all.

the reason i say this now is b/c i recently thought to myself (why i didn't do it sooner still confounds me) why don't i just plug in my bose QC-1 headphones and just see what they sound like.

that was all it took. night and day difference. not to mention the comfort and non-hissing experience.

now,.. granted these headphones were $250 retail (several yrs back) but still. its such a big difference in quality from the "X3's" your better off to just save your money instead of squandering it on the turtle beach crap.

anyway,.. sorry for those i might have misled.

oh and,... anyone want to buy some Turtle Beach EarForce X3's?! haha
post #367 of 10626 Old 10-01-2007, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

thanks for that little review, i'll now steer clear.

also, in reguards to the jvc 5.1 box, is there any way to increase the volume on the center channel, that would fix the quiet voices in co-op

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #368 of 10626 Old 10-01-2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leland_7 View Post

guys,.... there comes a time in most everyone's life where you realize how badly you were wrong and just how far you might have misled ppl.

well,.. for me that time was a few days ago when i posted up that the turtle beach x3 headphones were nice. "I WAS WRONG".

the reason i say this now is b/c i recently thought to myself (why i didn't do it sooner still confounds me) why don't i just plug in my bose QC-1 headphones and just see what they sound like.

that was all it took. night and day difference. not to mention the comfort and non-hissing experience.

now,.. granted these headphones were $250 retail (several yrs back) but still. its such a big difference in quality from the "X3's" your better off to just save your money instead of squandering it on the turtle beach crap.

man i regret ordering them now i returned the X1s thinking that the X3s were better in terms of sound...

GT: ZIZO79
post #369 of 10626 Old 10-01-2007, 09:17 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.C View Post

got my first taste of XBL today (GT = HiFi Buckeye).

first thing to report is the ghetto solution to voice worked fine. i was able to make out people just fine for both lobby & in-game slayer proxy voice. i am using my original XB headset - not the 360 version - fwiw.

secondly, however, is that the directional sound was slightly underwhelming. i'd often be left guessing exactly what direction sound came from... which i am certain would be much more discrete via true 5.1

but by and large a satisfactory solution for the gamer who wants to keep it civil amongst his neighbors. that's for sure.

What headphones are you using again? & yes, No headphone can reproduce 5.1 like a 5.1 speaker system. I still favor the DH 5.1 then the 5.1 headphones with 8 drivers.. at least the ones I heard..

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #370 of 10626 Old 10-01-2007, 09:18 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJOHNB20 View Post

Well, it sounds like that would at least work for now. I would like something a little more permanent eventually, but I guess I didn't think about something as simple as that.

So, any opinions on Senn HD555 vs HD212pro. I would be using >90% for gaming in my house with the headphone jack on my reciever. There might be a possiblity that I would use these with my ipod, but that would be rare. (I have a cheap ass pair of ear buds that I take to work and don't care if they break)
As far as I can tell, the 555's are going to sound better and possibly be more comfortable(around ear vs on), but be less portable, and cost more. Also maybe have a wider soundstage? I probably won't be gettng the JVC adapter anytime soon, so I would like the best "directionality" out of a stereo headset as possible. From what I understand, the 555's do a pretty good job at this.
I should mention my budget tops out at $100. Anyone seen the 555's cheaper than $99?

555 would be the better choice..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #371 of 10626 Old 10-01-2007, 09:23 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

KBI - is there a good link you could post regarding a balanced config? I am an engineering graduate student (ie very technically minded) and I'd like to read up on the nitty gritty of this. I didn't find much when I googled**

Thanks. This headfi stuff is fun & like I said earlier, if I'm gonna get wet, I might as well dive into the deep end of the pool

** Scratch that. I found THIS article/review which does a pretty good job. But feel free to add anything more. Interesting stuff...

Sweet. Heres a good link to balanced. Of course it's a bit of a controversial subject. Many believe in the benefits & some do not.. Same as headphone/amp/cable 'burn in' & cables that influence your audio..
http://www.headphone.com/products/fa...anced-sources/
http://www.headphone.com/products/fa...ed-headphones/

post #372 of 10626 Old 10-01-2007, 09:25 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leland_7 View Post

& the sen 555 would even be a bigger upgrade then the Bose.. Or any 100.00 can basically..

post #373 of 10626 Old 10-01-2007, 09:47 PM
A.C
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI View Post

Sweet. Heres a good link to balanced. Of course it's a bit of a controversial subject. Many believe in the benefits & some do not.. Same as headphone/amp/cable 'burn in' & cables that influence your audio..
http://www.headphone.com/products/fa...anced-sources/
http://www.headphone.com/products/fa...ed-headphones/

Definitely a fun topic to read about. Not sure I'll going balanced myself anytime soon - but not for lack of interest. As to you other question about my gaming cans - I am using the HD595's.

post #374 of 10626 Old 10-01-2007, 10:01 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Definitely a fun topic to read about. Not sure I'll going balanced myself anytime soon - but not for lack of interest. As to you other question about my gaming cans - I am using the HD595's.

Yeah.. Balanced can be expensive, unless you can balance them yourself with stock cable.. I had a pro do mine... & he used his own brand of cabling.. Hundreds of dollars worth.. It's hard to find people that know how to do it to begin with. & most only specialize in certain headphones.. & the amps usually cost twice a much since you need double of everything.. Thats why I bought my DAC1 as a 'cheap' alternative. It supports male XRL outs but they wern't made for headphones but for loud speakers. There are dedicated balanced headphone amps.. I'm looking at the Headroom Balanced Desktop amp for 900.00 or the Rudi NX33 for 1,300, which supports both male & female XRL's so I can connect a balanced CD player to the amp too for a true balanced experience.. But I can always buy a Male XRL to 1/4 cable if I decide to use amps with a regular headphone jack.. But the options are limited when going balanced. Was thinking about buying the 595's again just to balance them.. But need to save for my balanced amp..

post #375 of 10626 Old 10-02-2007, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

So has anyone figured out a good way to use an external set of headphones with an XBL mic?? I really want to order the HD555 or HD212pro today, but am having second thoughts because I don't know how I would get a mic working. I thought I would be able to ghetto rig something, but I am having a hard time visualizing something that would work and not be too awkward or expensive. I know I have seen a few ideas mentioned and even a pic or two of hacked up XBL headset, but didn't really see any comments or pics of a working finished product.

Someone please help. Halo 3 in silence is getting really boring. Not to mention I have no idea what is going on because I haven't heard a thing.

I can fullheartedly recommend Senn 595 with the Zalman clip-on mic. Please see earlier in the thread how I "hacked" the XBL headset in the earpiece itself (do not hack IN the adapter part). Another solution is the Datel adapter with the Zalman clip-on mic AND a 3.5 female to 2.5 male adapter (but I haven't played it this way). I also played with the XBL headset around my neck. This is fine for 30-45 min., it sucks for several hour gaming sessions. Honestly, the Zalman mic is very elegant and the combo (Senn's + mic) is easy to put on/off your head.

I can also confirm playing matchmaking on XBL works perfect with this combo. No problem hearing voices or other players hearing me. I have not played co-op so cannot comment how voices come through then.

So, JUST to satisfy the need for pictures, here is how I play:
LL
LL
post #376 of 10626 Old 10-02-2007, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter

Now that I think of it, I would like to test in-play surround sound. Obviously, when I get matched up with random players I can't ask them to stick around in a custom game and try it out.

A.C.? You posted your GT. KBI? You guys want to team up tonight and actually TEST surround sound (so one person stands still and the other runs around the first one while talking/shooting). It would be great if someone with TRITTON's or the X3's can also join me/us.

Say 8 PM ET?
post #377 of 10626 Old 10-02-2007, 06:31 AM
A.C
Advanced Member

Sure. I'm game. What's your GT?

post #378 of 10626 Old 10-02-2007, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

secondly, however, is that the directional sound was slightly underwhelming. i'd often be left guessing exactly what direction sound came from...

Assuming you are using the JVC adapter, this is exactly my experience... In multiplayer you are almost better going to stereo for better directional sound. I am keeping the adapter for movie watching late night and travel, it seemed to do an okay job at creating space but not directional sound which works well for movies.
post #379 of 10626 Old 10-02-2007, 07:10 AM
A.C
Advanced Member

i may give stereo sound a shot tonight.

i assume optical > JVC (w/ neither PLII or DH selected) tis unmodified PCM 2.0 right?

post #380 of 10626 Old 10-02-2007, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Sure. I'm game. What's your GT?

Blazed by Dutch
post #381 of 10626 Old 10-02-2007, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI View Post

555 would be the better choice..

Yea, that is what I figured. I guess I was just hoping someone would chime in and say, "go for the 212" and then I would have a reason to buy the cheaper phones. But alas, I already broke down and ordered the HD555. Hopefully they will be here by the end of the week. I can't wait! Played through another level of Halo last night in silence. Now I will have an excuse to go back and play through again, only this time in beautiful sonical clarity.
post #382 of 10626 Old 10-02-2007, 08:27 AM
A.C
Advanced Member

if the 555's are anything like the 595's (which some have said they are) then you are in for a treat. i am really happy with my sennheiser's.

post #383 of 10626 Old 10-02-2007, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanjumper View Post

I can fullheartedly recommend Senn 595 with the Zalman clip-on mic. Please see earlier in the thread how I "hacked" the XBL headset in the earpiece itself (do not hack IN the adapter part). Another solution is the Datel adapter with the Zalman clip-on mic - see post TotalDistinction (but I haven't played it this way). I also played with the XBL headset around my neck. This is fine for 30-45 min., it sucks for several hour gaming sessions. Honestly, the Zalman mic is very elegant and the combo (Senn's + mic) is easy to put on/off your head.

I can also confirm playing matchmaking on XBL works perfect with this combo. No problem hearing voices or other players hearing me. I have not played co-op so cannot comment how voices come through then.

So, JUST to satisfy the need for pictures, here is how I play:

Thanks for the response. I will definately have to check out that clip on mic. Looks easy and functional. Last night I tried to hack apart my old XBL headset. I was surprised at how easy it was. HOWEVER, I was using an old headset that I replaced because the mic stopped working. So, I was able to disassemble the headset and end up with just the mic arm wired to the controller adapter like suggested in the other post. Unfortunately, after I got it all wired up, it didn't work. I was hoping the reason the mic stopped working was because the wires just got twisted in the swivel arm of the mic. When I opened it up, that didn't appear to be the case. I don't doubt this would have worked with a working headset. But the clip on looks even better.

How much was that Zalman? Is there a place to find it locally, like a radioshack or did you have to order it? Thanks,
post #384 of 10626 Old 10-02-2007, 08:35 AM
A.C
Advanced Member

has anyone found anything like the Zalman... but with a 2.5mm jack? granted its no big deal to hack the communicator, etc, but the smaller jack would provide such an elegant & simple solution.

post #385 of 10626 Old 10-02-2007, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i may give stereo sound a shot tonight.

i assume optical > JVC (w/ neither PLII or DH selected) tis unmodified PCM 2.0 right?

I would think so, it sounded good but I didn't listen very long, I just disconnected and went straight through my receiver.
post #386 of 10626 Old 10-02-2007, 08:47 AM

After reading through this thread twice, I have a set of Pioneer SE-DIR800C's on the way to me. They will be here tomorrow. I almost bought a set of these years ago, but never pulled the trigger. I think I was put off by the set of Acoustic Research wireless phones I received as a gift back then...they SUCKED! Constant hiss. They were returned the next day.

The last couple of nights I've been playing using my Grado SR-325's straight out of my Onkyo receiver. They sounded great, and I could kind of tell what directions sounds were coming from.

I'm hoping the Pioneers are as good as everyone says they are. I guess I'll find out tomorrow...
post #387 of 10626 Old 10-02-2007, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

How much was that Zalman? Is there a place to find it locally, like a radioshack or did you have to order it? Thanks,

Mine was $6.99 plus $2.55 shipping. I ordered it here.
post #388 of 10626 Old 10-02-2007, 09:00 AM

Quote:

Mine was $6.99 plus $2.55 shipping. I ordered it here.

Cool. Thanks, I just googled Zalman clip on mic and got plenty of websites selling it for ~$5-15. 6.99 with only 2.55 shipping isn't too bad at all. I will still probably check radioshack to see if they have something similar I can just pick up.
post #389 of 10626 Old 10-02-2007, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

has anyone found anything like the Zalman... but with a 2.5mm jack? granted its no big deal to hack the communicator, etc, but the smaller jack would provide such an elegant & simple solution.

You know, I was already confused if the Zalman mic would have fit in the Datel adapter. TotalDistinction's post doesn't fully clarify that. What is confirmed that the Datel adapter provides a mute function for the TRITTON or old XBL headsets. Nevertheless, as I didn't have either one of those I couldn't compare the size of the Zalman plug (3.5 you say?) versus a TRITTON plug (must then be 2.5...). The Zalman plug is the same size as another clip-on mic that I have (though, as these latter came combined with plug-in earphones I never used these).

Even a 3.5 female to 2.5 male adapter would work, like this one
post #390 of 10626 Old 10-02-2007, 09:25 AM
A.C
Advanced Member

Quote:

Even a 3.5 female to 2.5 male adapter would work, like this one

hehe. Yeah, I've just been looking at those online. I might stop in at a local cell phone shop & see what they have. Apparently that is the most common application for those adaptors.

Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page