KBI
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanjumper View Post

Now that I think of it, I would like to test in-play surround sound. Obviously, when I get matched up with random players I can't ask them to stick around in a custom game and try it out.

A.C.? You posted your GT. KBI? You guys want to team up tonight and actually TEST surround sound (so one person stands still and the other runs around the first one while talking/shooting). It would be great if someone with TRITTON's or the X3's can also join me/us.

Say 8 PM ET?

No H3.. But I like the idea though.

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 10626 Old 10-02-2007, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI View Post

No H3.. But I like the idea though.

What?! No H3??? What are you doing in the XBOX forums?? Nah, just kidding...

Well, A.C. will be there and perhaps some others will join so we can still test it out and post results later. It would be really good if a TRITTON user would join...
post #393 of 10626 Old 10-02-2007, 10:57 AM

I could hop on and I'm a Tritton user but it wouldn't be til like 8ish CST. Let me know. Ciao!

Xbox Live GT: LatinoHeat161
post #394 of 10626 Old 10-02-2007, 11:09 AM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanjumper View Post

What?! No H3??? What are you doing in the XBOX forums?? Nah, just kidding...

Well, A.C. will be there and perhaps some others will join so we can still test it out and post results later. It would be really good if a TRITTON user would join...

Never played H1 either? I tested the directional audio on my cans before.. I would spin around in front of a clock...& could tell F/B/L/R.. although the F/B takes a while to get down..I was playing R6 & knew a Tango was coming from behind me so I turned around & blasted him.. I know the Trittons & DH 5.1 would make it more clear though..

Theres a DH on the special edition T2 DVD.. Much better then the stereo mix.. & decent as 5.1.

post #395 of 10626 Old 10-02-2007, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman161 View Post

I could hop on and I'm a Tritton user but it wouldn't be til like 8ish CST. Let me know. Ciao!

Sounds great! Please send friend request when you are online.
post #396 of 10626 Old 10-02-2007, 12:14 PM

What kind of jack is on the sennheiser 555? I would guess 1/4 but I'm not certain.
post #397 of 10626 Old 10-02-2007, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brhendricks View Post

What kind of jack is on the sennheiser 555? I would guess 1/4 but I'm not certain.

Yup. 6.3 mm stereo jack (= 1/4") with 3.5 mm adapter
post #398 of 10626 Old 10-02-2007, 12:53 PM
A.C
Advanced Member

who uses a 1/4" jack anymore? i mean surely 99% of all headphone applications are 3.5mm

is it just a legacy carry over from yester-year or is it still the de-facto size of serious headfi equipment?

XBL: HiFi Buckeye
PSN: hifibuckeye
post #399 of 10626 Old 10-02-2007, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.C View Post

who uses a 1/4" jack anymore? i mean surely 99% of all headphone applications are 3.5mm

is it just a legacy carry over from yester-year or is it still the de-facto size of serious headfi equipment?

I would think that , in particular receivers...
post #400 of 10626 Old 10-02-2007, 01:15 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Most non portable headphones have 1/4.. Portables have 1/8..Home headphone amps require 1/4..

post #401 of 10626 Old 10-02-2007, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zizo79 View Post

man i regret ordering them now i returned the X1s thinking that the X3s were better in terms of sound...

as far as functionality,.. the x3's are better than the x1's. but if you can spend more... i'd return them asap and get something better. haven't tried the tritton's but they're proving be be nice on here.
post #402 of 10626 Old 10-02-2007, 01:53 PM

FYI,
Stopped by radioshack on my lunchbreak. Not much in the way of mics, but they did have a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter for 9.99. They guy said they usually have a "clip on mic" but they were out and not sure if they were going to get more or not. Thought I would share.
post #403 of 10626 Old 10-02-2007, 02:10 PM
A.C
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJOHNB20 View Post

FYI,
Stopped by radioshack on my lunchbreak. Not much in the way of mics, but they did have a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter for 9.99. They guy said they usually have a "clip on mic" but they were out and not sure if they were going to get more or not. Thought I would share.

RadioShack Mic. I like the white. Matches my 360. I might give this a try. Too bad its 1/8" (3.5mm)....

post #404 of 10626 Old 10-02-2007, 09:51 PM

I just got the trittons a few weeks ago and I just thought I would give you my two cents. The build quality seems quite good, they are fairly durable and well made. They are not as heavy as I had read about somewhere, actually they are quite comfortable. As soon as I got them I popped in bioshock and had a listen. At first I was not sure about them, but after some time adjusting and fine tuning delay and volume levels, I am now quite impressed! Properly set up these are awesome gameing cans perfect for late night sessions They have a clear robust sound and you really do hear every little noise. As far as surround sound they do not sound like a real HT setup, but you do get a decent "surround sound" and what you do get is good seperation between channels. While I'm sure these are not the best headphones ever, I would still give them very high marks. If anyone has any questions I would be more than happy to try and answer them.
post #405 of 10626 Old 10-03-2007, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I got my Pioneer SE-DIR800Cs yesterday. Bad news for me

I like the look and feel and they sound very nice, but my 58" plasma doesn't like them. I'm about 12' to 14' away from the transmitter with it sitting near my TV where I need it to be. I'm rather constrained with its location and to relocate it away from the TV I may as well run a headphone cable to my seating position and skip the wireless part.

Anyway, I hooked everything up and put in fresh batteries. I noticed signal breakup right away, but I assumed it was just syncing. I finally got a clear signal and they sounded great, but then more breakup. After more testing I realized that the breakup would occur when the scene suddenly got bright. I found in the manual that the unit shouldn't be used with a plasma system, but there was a post on Amazon that said they didn't have a problem with plasma IR interference.

I recently went through this same problem with a HotLink Pro IR distribution system for my remote control. The unit came with an LED that signaled IR. The LED would get brighter or darker to match the scene on the TV. My plasma was putting out too much IR noise to get reliable communication with the unit. I basically had to hide the unit's sensor behind the TV to get the LED dim (as suggested in the instructions), but then it wouldn't work well for my remote. I sent it back and went with an RF solution. If it wasn't for that Amazon post then I wouldn't have considered them.

It now looks like I'll be getting the Sen 595s and an extention cable and just use my HK635's DH jack.

post #406 of 10626 Old 10-03-2007, 06:23 AM
A.C
Advanced Member

A few of us tried to demo our SS headphones last night on Halo 3:

myself: 595's + JVC
oceanjumper: 595's (stereo?)
jazzman: tritton (5.1)

I think we all had a bit of difficulty identifying sound directly behind (6 o'clock) - but that may be expected. I believe the trittons may have been more accurate between 5 & 7 o'clock... but the 595's (with and without processing) did pretty well. The L/R/C channels were golden regardless.

After our demo, I played the entire night in stereo myself. It may or may not be the case, but I find the sound to be more crisp. But I'm still getting used to my config - so it may take a while before I can really come to any solid conclusions.

And... one final piece of FYI. I stopped by RadioShack on the way home from work and picked up their clip on mic ($5) and 3.5/2.5 adaptor ($2.50). I plugged that combo directly into my controller. The guys could hear me well enough last night - so I guess it works good. And the RS mic has a built in on/off button which can act as a mute. That said its not white - its that off color beige...

post #407 of 10626 Old 10-03-2007, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I think we all had a bit of difficulty identifying sound directly behind (6 o'clock) - but that may be expected. I believe the trittons may have been more accurate between 5 & 7 o'clock... but the 595's (with and without processing) did pretty well. The L/R/C channels were golden regardless.

After our demo, I played the entire night in stereo myself. It may or may not be the case, but I find the sound to be more crisp. But I'm still getting used to my config - so it may take a while before I can really come to any solid conclusions.

And... one final piece of FYI. I stopped by RadioShack on the way home from work and picked up their clip on mic ($5) and 3.5/2.5 adaptor ($2.50). I plugged that combo directly into my controller. The guys could hear me well enough last night - so I guess it works good. And the RS mic has a built in on/off button which can act as a mute. That said its not white - its that off color beige...

A.C,
Thanks for posting your findings. I'm curious what the other two guys thought as well, so hopefully they'll post.

In any case, I think it's safe to say that you've discovered that a good pair of high-end headphones makes gaming more enjoyable, is that right? I do most of my gaming with headphones on, so I've been doing a cost vs. benefit comparison for the last couple months, debating with myself whether it's "worth it" to splurge on a set of 555s or 595s. I currently use a set of $15 or $20 portable headphones which sound halfway okay - good bass response, clear mids & highs, etc., but I'm sure a high-end set would sound better. Making my decision more difficult is the JVC Dolby Headphone processor, and whether I should include that as part of my headphone purchase as well.

After what you said about spending the rest of the evening in stereo instead of DH -- based on your experience would you say it's more important to use high quality headphones in stereo, or lower quality headphones with DH SS simulation?

Also, when you spent the rest of the evening in stereo, were the headphones still hooked up through the JVC DH processor, just with DH disabled? I'm curious whether that would provide a different stereo mix than I'd get through the "red & white" stereo ouput of the xbox... since it's the JVC mixing down a digital 5.1 signal to stereo, instead of the xbox's stereo mix. So I think there's another experiment for you if you're curious about that too.
post #408 of 10626 Old 10-03-2007, 09:11 AM
A.C
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Bull View Post

In any case, I think it's safe to say that you've discovered that a good pair of high-end headphones makes gaming more enjoyable, is that right?

I really enjoy my 595's. They are super comfortable. They sound great. And they allow me to game in near-anonymity with my roommates/neighbors.

Quote:

would you say it's more important to use high quality headphones in stereo, or lower quality headphones with DH SS simulation?

In my limited observation, I would say high quality stereo is better than low quality DH SS.

Quote:

Also, when you spent the rest of the evening in stereo, were the headphones still hooked up through the JVC DH processor, just with DH disabled?

Correct. My JVC box acts as my receiver. It accepts an optical input & then converts that bitstream. I believe two signals are actually present: DD & 2 channel PCM. When I "gamed in stereo" I had DH disabled... which I assume meant I was listening to the PCM track (but that is only an educated guess).

I could try using the R/W analog RCA's... however I'd have to incorporate my A/V receiver (which currently is not part of my 360 setup).

post #409 of 10626 Old 10-03-2007, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

If it is a part of your setup though, you should definitely use your AV receiver for stereo. G-Bull, first of all definitely upgrade your headphones, you will be amazed when you put a good pair of headphones on... I can't stress this enough. Secondly, don't worry about the JVC adapter if you have an AV receiver, the surround effects are nice but not necessary, use the cash for the headphones.
post #410 of 10626 Old 10-03-2007, 09:20 AM
A.C
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYFOOTBALLGIANTS View Post

If it is a part of your setup though, you should definitely use your AV receiver for stereo.

care to follow up on that? i'm just curious.

post #411 of 10626 Old 10-03-2007, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Your AV receiver will better drive your headphones. Remember you are just taking that signal straight from the source and while the nifty JVC device does a good job of amplification it will never push out what your AV receiver can. I noticed a big increase in bottom end when switching from JVC Stereo to my Onkyo receiver.
post #412 of 10626 Old 10-03-2007, 09:43 AM
A.C
Advanced Member

interesting. guess i will have to try it out then. thanks.

post #413 of 10626 Old 10-03-2007, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

For me, the Trittons sound great but there are too many wires to get tangled up in. Mine are probably going to *bay.

post #414 of 10626 Old 10-03-2007, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

No Problem...Let us know what you think!
post #415 of 10626 Old 10-03-2007, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

In our test yesterday I played with my Senn's 595, stereo. I used a '2 RCA to 1 stereo' adapter connected to the XBOX HD cable. When we tested SS I had my eyes closed and could fairly well tell where sound was coming from. However, having said all this, when you are in full action fighting grunts I am not so sure if I would be able to tell. I guess this also depends on the player.

Last week I played with my Senn's plugged into the DH of my HK AVR 635. It sounded fantastic but I do not think it would help me better in orientation.

So, for me personally, my grand conclusions are:
1) Game with headphones. Just the emersion is worth it
2) Play with GOOD headphones. I played with a cheap headset, a reasonably noise-cancelling Sennheiser, iPod earphones and the 595. Not surprisingly, the 595 -by far- outperforms the others.
3) The JVC 5.1 adapter does not seem to be worth it if you use it for gaming only. Reviews are very positive for movies. Volume control of the JVC would be nice although the default volume for me is just fine.
4) The TRITTONs are a very good deal for all that you get (optical input, volume control, somewhat better SS). If it is truly for gaming only, and perhaps for not more than 1-2 hour game session at a time, I would recommend those.
5) I do recommend the 595 for those who game for long periods at a time, and for those who wish to use the headset for more than just gaming (although the 555 seem also "good enough" for gaming).
6) If you have a receiver with Dolby Headphone, use it

Thanks to all who contributed!
post #416 of 10626 Old 10-03-2007, 10:18 AM

Using headphones sounds great, but I do have some more reservations

My major concern with gaming headphones is that people have a propencity to walk in front of you when you're playing video games. I don't know what it is, but it happens to me all the time. (Yet nobody would ever walk in front of you watching a DVD.) I'd guess a lot of you plug into a receiver but I'm worried about plugging into the stereo cables using an adapter.
post #417 of 10626 Old 10-03-2007, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brhendricks View Post

I'd guess a lot of you plug into a receiver but I'm worried about plugging into the stereo cables using an adapter.

Besides people snapping the cord out of the receiver or adapter, what is your 'extra' worry regarding using a rca->stereo adapter? If you have a general concern using headphones I am afraid this thread is not going to help you no matter what...
post #418 of 10626 Old 10-03-2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmanky View Post

For me, the Trittons sound great but there are too many wires to get tangled up in. Mine are probably going to *bay.

How many wires are there? Isn't there just one going to the unit itself and one going to your controller for Live Chat? I am wanting a pair, PM me if you are still wanting to get rid of them.

Live: Nozzleman 216
PSN: Nozzleman_216
Fire Fighter IAFF Local 216 Ohio
Union Proud!
post #419 of 10626 Old 10-03-2007, 11:32 AM
A.C
Advanced Member

i was just thinking the same thing. for a "wireless console" i sure have a lot of them.

1. play & charge
2. headphones
3. headset/mic

between the three it feels like i'm in a web of wire. the feeling of freedom was much higher back with the old wavebird & GCN.

post #420 of 10626 Old 10-03-2007, 01:06 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes.. getting sound from behind is difficult with 5.1 headsets/headphone.. But headphones do, & are capable of it.. As I experienced it myself.. If game soundtracks were recorded Biarurally you could easily pinpoint a sound coming from behind you..

Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page