What gaming headphones to buy? - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 10626 Old 10-23-2007, 03:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey guys ~ I played H3 co-op for the first time the other day. I had no problems hearing the other guy with my Senn 595 and Zalman mic mod (attached to hacked XBL headset plug). May be we were so into killing brutes at those moments music was intense we weren't talking much, however, we could always tell the other when one was dead (to respawn in safe area).

I keep on being amazed by my Senn's 595. I can't believe how comfortable they are, even after 5-6 hour gaming sessions. Fantastic sound even through a simple stereo/RCA connection (no optical) to the XBX... I still would sure love to try out the JVC adapter...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 10626 Old 10-23-2007, 05:34 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI View Post

http://cgi.ebay.ca/cMoy-Amp-Headphon...QQcmdZViewItem

Getting this amp plus the new headphones will up your movie enjoyment a few notches.. Just make sure your JVC has a line out.. His current Cmoys don't have a volume knob, so you'd control the volume through your JVC. His reasoning is better SQ..But because of demand he is making Cmoys with volume control.. These should be out later this month from what I remember.. For 40.00, it's the best Bang for the buck in regards to portable amps IMO..

Update: Blackie has just released the Bass Boost cMoy v2.00. It has a volume pot. It should be up on ebay, or you can email him to purchase directly if interested..

Unfortunately, the JVC doesn't have a line out - only a headphone out. As luck would have it, I ended up buying another amp a couple of days ago called the PA2V2 for $60. For the price and its associated reviews, it appeared to be reasonable although some of the reviews says that it can be bassy. I really haven't had the chance to play around with it yet with my equipment. I also wonder if the headphone out from the JVC is good enough to use connected to the amp. I'll have to try this out.

That said, I *may* avoid the cMoy for the time being but thanks for providing the link. For $40-$50, it might still be worth considering if it makes sense.

My eyes are now on the RSA Hornet or Tomahawk portable amps but that will wait until I tune my audiophile skills a little more and can afford it. More importantly, I think I want to upgrade my headphones first.
post #543 of 10626 Old 10-23-2007, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanjumper View Post

Hey guys ~ I played H3 co-op for the first time the other day. I had no problems hearing the other guy with my Senn 595 and Zalman mic mod (attached to hacked XBL headset plug). May be we were so into killing brutes at those moments music was intense we weren't talking much, however, we could always tell the other when one was dead (to respawn in safe area).

I keep on being amazed by my Senn's 595. I can't believe how comfortable they are, even after 5-6 hour gaming sessions. Fantastic sound even through a simple stereo/RCA connection (no optical) to the XBX... I still would sure love to try out the JVC adapter...

Maybe we should merge forces. My JVC with your Senn 595's.
post #544 of 10626 Old 10-23-2007, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalDistinction View Post

Maybe we should merge forces. My JVC with your Senn 595's.

Now THAT's an idea...
post #545 of 10626 Old 10-23-2007, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Would the SENNHEISER HD-595 be a good fit for PC gaming without anything extra?
post #546 of 10626 Old 10-23-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/cMoy-Amp-Headphon...QQcmdZViewItem

Getting this amp plus the new headphones will up your movie enjoyment a few notches.. Just make sure your JVC has a line out.. His current Cmoys don't have a volume knob, so you'd control the volume through your JVC. His reasoning is better SQ..But because of demand he is making Cmoys with volume control.. These should be out later this month from what I remember.. For 40.00, it's the best Bang for the buck in regards to portable amps IMO..

Update: Blackie has just released the Bass Boost cMoy v2.00. It has a volume pot. It should be up on ebay, or you can email him to purchase directly if interested..

Well, that didn't take me long to decide. I just purchased a cmoy off of eBay from "blackinches" - unless you know him as "Blackie", then I digress. His eBay name is "three3three3".

Now, to spend some money on headphones. I hate this hobby.
post #547 of 10626 Old 10-23-2007, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR1 View Post

From what I've been reading in this thread, it would be a resounding YES without anything extra. I'm assuming that you have the 50-ohm version of the HD-595? If not, you will likely need an amp.

The extras are if you want an even more enthralling experience.

I'm actually jealous of you. I have my eyes set on those very same headphones and just need to pull the trigger on purchasing a pair.
post #548 of 10626 Old 10-23-2007, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/inde...;pid;1266;pt;1

These look very nice also! I like that they're closed and don't require an amp to sound great.
post #549 of 10626 Old 10-23-2007, 10:28 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeppers..

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
post #550 of 10626 Old 10-23-2007, 10:30 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/inde...;pid;1266;pt;1

These look very nice also! I like that they're closed and don't require an amp to sound great.

400.00!! They retail for around 230.00..

post #551 of 10626 Old 10-23-2007, 10:32 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

From what I've been reading in this thread, it would be a resounding YES without anything extra. I'm assuming that you have the 50-ohm version of the HD-595? If not, you will likely need an amp.

The extras are if you want an even more enthralling experience.

I'm actually jealous of you. I have my eyes set on those very same headphones and just need to pull the trigger on purchasing a pair.

Sucks that you can't connect your portable amp to your JVC.. If the JVC has 2 rca connections & have a amp with rca connections you could hook it up easily. I'd still try to connect my portable to the JVC..

post #552 of 10626 Old 10-23-2007, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

400.00!! They retail for around 230.00..

That's just a link I used for conversation. I found them for $179. The more I read about them, the better they seem.

Pros:
Closed
Sound awesome without an amp. I'll be just wanting to plug it right into the back of the sound card.
Excellent soundstage, which is exactly what I'd want in gaming!

Cons:
A bit lacking in the midrange
post #553 of 10626 Old 10-23-2007, 11:25 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's just a link I used for conversation. I found them for $179. The more I read about them, the better they seem.

Pros:
Closed
Sound awesome without an amp. I'll be just wanting to plug it right into the back of the sound card.
Excellent soundstage, which is exactly what I'd want in gaming!

Cons:
A bit lacking in the midrange

Yes, they do have a nice sound stage.. But open headphones have a bigger sound stage in general..

Here is a link to 10 user reviews on the 900's, & the overall rating they gave the 900's. The overall score might seem low to you, but the reviewers are audiophiles who either own or have auditioned headphones in 300-1000+ range..
& FYI The 900's are so popular AT released the 900LTD (290.00) & the soon to be released ATH-A900ti Titanium Art Headphones (489.00) I'm looking at getting a pair of the TI's if I can swallow the price tag..

post #554 of 10626 Old 10-24-2007, 02:57 AM

Quote:

Sucks that you can't connect your portable amp to your JVC.. If the JVC has 2 rca connections & have a amp with rca connections you could hook it up easily. I'd still try to connect my portable to the JVC..

The only "out" that the JVC has is from the headphone port. I read that some users have connected the headphone out to the amp with improved SQ. That's what I will try.
post #555 of 10626 Old 10-24-2007, 05:11 AM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The only "out" that the JVC has is from the headphone port. I read that some users have connected the headphone out to the amp with improved SQ. That's what I will try.

Cool..

post #556 of 10626 Old 11-18-2007, 07:24 PM

Need to bring this awesome thread back from the grave

Well I have a few legit questions. The wife finally let me upgrade my receiver and I got one with Dolby Headphone. So now my I am thinking about buying the Senn HD-555's and selling my Tritton's. What's the general consensus on the 555's? I have read through a good bit of the thread and followed it for awhile, but I was leaning towards "gaming" headphones then.

It's not that I am un-happy or do not like the tritton's, but I think there is something better out there for me. I have not tested them much with many sources other than 360 gaming with Guitar Hero3, COD4 and Halo3. Personally the Tritton's sound like crap to me in Guitar Hero3. They are really nice in Halo and COD4 but I still struggle with certain aspects of how they seem to work. They also tend to make my ears hot and seem heavy to me.(although I am not sure as I have never really worn headphones) Also the rumble for bass, such a double edged sword. A really cool feature but there needs to be dedicated bass too ( I think thats why GH3 blows with these) Just one other little issue is no dedicated line volume. You have to get up and turn the main unit down OR adjust all the speakers to a new level. Not a big deal BUT its an issue and I find myself messing with all the speaker settings for every game I have played with them.

SO there you have it, a little rant/review with my question about getting some quality cans. I have NEVER owned a nice pair of stereo headphones. I have a pair of Sony (i bought a at least 6-7 years ago for like 30 bucks for a stereo I had at the Fire Academy)
I am just not sure what to expect. I am pretty sure I can get the Sennheiser's for around $100 bucks and I already bought the receiver and it will be here shortly. I guess I am just looking for that last push to buy the HD-555's (the 595's out of my budget and I read that a few people don't think they are worth the 80-100 more)

I didn't post this to bash the Tritton's either, they are very nice and do well with most things I have tried them with. I need to try a dvd or 2 also but I wanted mainly for gaming. They are well made also, I just think my expectations were set way too high and with a new receiver coming the gears got turning in the head about the dolby headphone. Thanks and hope I didn't ramble too much.

Edit:One other thing I wanted to ask was about the open design. How much sound is leaked or how much will it bother others around me?

Live: Nozzleman 216
PSN: Nozzleman_216
Fire Fighter IAFF Local 216 Ohio
Union Proud!
post #557 of 10626 Old 11-18-2007, 08:33 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson10 View Post

Need to bring this awesome thread back from the grave

Well I have a few legit questions. The wife finally let me upgrade my receiver and I got one with Dolby Headphone. So now my I am thinking about buying the Senn HD-555's and selling my Tritton's. What's the general consensus on the 555's? I have read through a good bit of the thread and followed it for awhile, but I was leaning towards "gaming" headphones then.

It's not that I am un-happy or do not like the tritton's, but I think there is something better out there for me. I have not tested them much with many sources other than 360 gaming with Guitar Hero3, COD4 and Halo3. Personally the Tritton's sound like crap to me in Guitar Hero3. They are really nice in Halo and COD4 but I still struggle with certain aspects of how they seem to work. They also tend to make my ears hot and seem heavy to me.(although I am not sure as I have never really worn headphones) Also the rumble for bass, such a double edged sword. A really cool feature but there needs to be dedicated bass too ( I think thats why GH3 blows with these) Just one other little issue is no dedicated line volume. You have to get up and turn the main unit down OR adjust all the speakers to a new level. Not a big deal BUT its an issue and I find myself messing with all the speaker settings for every game I have played with them.

SO there you have it, a little rant/review with my question about getting some quality cans. I have NEVER owned a nice pair of stereo headphones. I have a pair of Sony (i bought a at least 6-7 years ago for like 30 bucks for a stereo I had at the Fire Academy)
I am just not sure what to expect. I am pretty sure I can get the Sennheiser's for around $100 bucks and I already bought the receiver and it will be here shortly. I guess I am just looking for that last push to buy the HD-555's (the 595's out of my budget and I read that a few people don't think they are worth the 80-100 more)

I didn't post this to bash the Tritton's either, they are very nice and do well with most things I have tried them with. I need to try a dvd or 2 also but I wanted mainly for gaming. They are well made also, I just think my expectations were set way too high and with a new receiver coming the gears got turning in the head about the dolby headphone. Thanks and hope I didn't ramble too much.

Edit:One other thing I wanted to ask was about the open design. How much sound is leaked or how much will it bother others around me?

There will be a pretty significant upgrade going from the Trittons to the Sen 555. No sweaty ears, better comfort.. The 555 do leak sound a lot..

post #558 of 10626 Old 11-18-2007, 08:55 PM

So....is there are comparable (price and comfort) closed design? From what I read the reason for the open design is for the immersion/spacial factor. IS that something I will miss or lack with a closed design? I am not TOO worried about others hearing me, as even during the late gaming hours they will be better than my 5.1 blasting.

I am going back and reading a lot I missed since I was so focused on gaming cans before. A lot of talk about the JVC adapter to thumb through LOL.

Thank You KBI

Union Proud!
post #559 of 10626 Old 11-18-2007, 09:02 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So....is there are comparable (price and comfort) closed design? From what I read the reason for the open design is for the immersion/spacial factor. IS that something I will miss or lack with a closed design? I am not TOO worried about others hearing me, as even during the late gaming hours they will be better than my 5.1 blasting.

I am going back and reading a lot I missed since I was so focused on gaming cans before. A lot of talk about the JVC adapter to thumb through LOL.

Thank You KBI

Open design allows for better bass & a larger sound stage.. Bass with closed cans can still sound nice, like a club feel to me..But really depends on the enclosure..Wood type/plastic etc.. For gaming you will miss a larger soundstage.. But I feel a closed can will immerse you more in your surrounding do to the isolation from the outside world, like ambient nunaces. Some cans isolate better then others.. There are also semi open & sealed headphones as well.. Your receiver is the same as the JVC adapter.. Both use the DH technology.

post #560 of 10626 Old 11-18-2007, 09:06 PM

reading reviews on HD-280 Pro now. Any others I should look at?

Union Proud!
post #561 of 10626 Old 11-18-2007, 09:20 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

reading reviews on HD-280 Pro now. Any others I should look at?

I like the AKG 501's.. Best soundstage, imaging, & midrange for the price. They sold for 250 new..But sell for around 100-120 used.. They are discontinued, but can still be found on heafi.org for sale.. But my best bet would be the equation RP-21s.. best headphones you can get for gaming for under 100.00 IMO.. Bass impact is excellent, especially for a sub 100 headphone.. They are the new rave in the audiophile & gaming circles. Amazon sells them for around 75.00.. They are closed as well..

Sen 555 reviews
http://www.headphonereviews.org/head...87&action=view

Sen 280 pro reviews
http://www.headphonereviews.org/head...=5&action=view

post #562 of 10626 Old 11-18-2007, 09:21 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

RP-21 user reviews.

Review by Senior Member Skylab on 12 Jul 07 18:34
The RP21's sound far better than they should for the $149 (easily gotten for $99). They have very good bass weight and depth. The mids are reasonably open and transparent. The highs are a little chalky and dry, but removing the foam helps this somewhat (but of course voids the warranty). The stock earpads could be a lot better - the RP21's are much more comfortable with pads from a Beyerdynamic DT770 (but you need to get the pleather pads or you lose a lot of bass). The RP21 isolated very well, better than a lot of other closed cans.

A very good closed headphone for the money. Review by kontendoo on 07 Sep 07 22:06
I owned this headphone , very impressive! Best bass , perfect isolation , good detail and cheap! (for performance)
But , bad highs quality and soundstage. No matter , because other specifications is perfect!..

post #563 of 10626 Old 11-18-2007, 09:22 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

http://www.amazon.com/Equation-RP-21...5449727&sr=8-1

post #564 of 10626 Old 11-18-2007, 09:39 PM

if i have an old sony reciever w/ my 360 hooked up via rca cables, simply for headphone use, will i recieve the proper benefits of headphone usage? or will it suffer immensely since it's not a digital signal?

my current htib reciever has no headphone hack. :O

Gamertag: esaesid
PSN: fistfulofsteel
Xfire: thediseas3
post #565 of 10626 Old 11-18-2007, 09:51 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_e_emarpea View Post

if i have an old sony reciever w/ my 360 hooked up via rca cables, simply for headphone use, will i recieve the proper benefits of headphone usage? or will it suffer immensely since it's not a digital signal?

my current htib reciever has no headphone hack. :O

Stereo is where it's at.. Digital is only 'better' cause it allows for 5.1 & 7.1.. But based on SQ alone, it depends on the components & equipment being used. Yes, you will receive the proper benefits. Headphones are stereo anyways & won't work with the 360 with audio turned to 5.1 digital, only digital stereo aka pro logic 2, aka analog..

post #566 of 10626 Old 11-18-2007, 10:17 PM

thanks KBI! well currently i have a set of sony v700 dj phones but im seriously considering the sen 595's.

Gamertag: esaesid
PSN: fistfulofsteel
Xfire: thediseas3
post #567 of 10626 Old 11-18-2007, 11:01 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_e_emarpea View Post

thanks KBI! well currently i have a set of sony v700 dj phones but im seriously considering the sen 595's.

That would be a considerable leap in SQ, although the bass isn't as boomy as the Sony's..But bass will be tighter, better defined, & less bloated..

post #568 of 10626 Old 11-19-2007, 10:24 AM

Anyone with experience with Audio technica ATH-AD700?

I will go with an open headphone if need be as I mainly need for late night gaming and everyone will be asleep anyhow. I will probably buy some new buds for my gym or work needs when I will be listening to mp3 player

Union Proud!
post #569 of 10626 Old 11-19-2007, 10:37 AM

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I've enjoyed the experience more with the Dolby Headphone/HD555 combination than the Trittons. I do think that the Trittons are very good value for $100 and serve their intended purpose, but just weren't for me given another option.

The good thing about the Senn HD555's is that they function well on their own without being amped. I bought the HD600's as well and, although they are better headphones, they do need to be amped and I felt that the HD555's provided better performance with the equipment that I currently have. That is to say that I don't have the HD600's properly amped to enjoy its benefits over the HD555's.

I do think that the HD555's make great gaming headphones but, then again, I haven't heard other competing headphones. I should also mention that they are great for movies too. My personal reference is using Dolby Headphone/HD555's listening to chapter 2 and 8 while watching Transformers on HD-DVD.
post #570 of 10626 Old 11-19-2007, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

As you know from this thread I have the Senn 595's. Couldn't be happier. I have worn them for 5-6 hours at a time with no discomfort what-so-ever. Now that I have them I would actually recommend open headphones. When the wife yells 'dinner is ready' you can actually hear her and respond (even in intense Halo3 MP sessions... ), and really, sound leakage is minimal. As far as 555 or 595, if it is for gaming mainly, others reported very little difference between the two. At least for Halo.

Did I already mention I LOVE my 595's?
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page