What gaming headphones to buy? - Page 205 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6121 of 10626 Old 03-11-2010, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Alright guys, I'm on the hunt for the ultimate headphone when it comes to comfort. I'm looking for a pair that has the same type of padding as the Bose Around The Ear and some Sony Extra Bass something or other (don't care for the bass, I just want those comfortable pads). It's like REAALLY soft padding that makes my ears feel like they're on Athena's breasts.

Hell, I may just get the Sony ones for that. They're like $80 at BB.

I'm happy with the AD700 for gaming, but really want ones for other occasions that are INCREDIBLY comfortable.

I'm giving my Senn 201's to my roomie for $20. He knows I just got them, so he wasn't trying to gip me. They're comfortable, but the padding is too hard and thin for my taste.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6122 of 10626 Old 03-11-2010, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayTooCrazy View Post

Both have worked fine for me. Sounds like you may have tried jamming a 3.5mm in there and made it loose... or you have a chatpad that you take on and off alot (as the opening on my controller is larger (or looser) than the one on my chatpad).

Haven't tried shoving a 3.5 in there. I'm not THAT stupid.

I don't have a chatpad, but the Turtle Beach X1 that I currently have has a little adapter/puck thing that connects to the controller that gets added and removed all the time. That stays on well because it also connects to those little plastic attachment areas beside the jack itself. I'll have to try the cable on a different controller when I get home.

Read. Think. Post. In that order, preferably

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
post #6123 of 10626 Old 03-11-2010, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin CZ View Post

Alright guys, I'm on the hunt for the ultimate headphone when it comes to comfort. I'm looking for a pair that has the same type of padding as the Bose Around The Ear and some Sony Extra Bass something or other (don't care for the bass, I just want those comfortable pads). It's like REAALLY soft padding that makes my ears feel like they're on Athena's breasts.

Hell, I may just get the Sony ones for that. They're like $80 at BB.

I'm happy with the AD700 for gaming, but really want ones for other occasions that are INCREDIBLY comfortable.

I'm giving my Senn 201's to my roomie for $20. He knows I just got them, so he wasn't trying to gip me. They're comfortable, but the padding is too hard and thin for my taste.

Razer Charcarias are probably the most comfy phones I've ever used... but the Mic sucks Monkey doo! They sound good after full break-in too.

Home Setup:
Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-687 > Canare 4S11 > Quad 11L2 & Polk PSW10 = Great Sound on a Budget!
post #6124 of 10626 Old 03-11-2010, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbexperience View Post

Haven't tried shoving a 3.5 in there. I'm not THAT stupid.

I don't have a chatpad, but the Turtle Beach X1 that I currently have has a little adapter/puck thing that connects to the controller that gets added and removed all the time. That stays on well because it also connects to those little plastic attachment areas beside the jack itself. I'll have to try the cable on a different controller when I get home.

That'll do it. I used to remove the chatpad to use the X1s and go back and forth for that... if you look at the opening of the controller... you'll probably see that it's slightly elongated towards the bottom... that's for the removal process... I don't have the X1s anymore... now it's my son's problem...

Home Setup:
Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-687 > Canare 4S11 > Quad 11L2 & Polk PSW10 = Great Sound on a Budget!
post #6125 of 10626 Old 03-11-2010, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdguru View Post

Well, just ordered the astro mix amp and the HPX-1 headset Thanks for all the info here. So, if I've ordered the 2 above and I already have 2 optical cables I'm good to go with having the PS3 and the 360 both hooked up to the mix amp at the same time, right? I was going to use an optical cable from the 360 to the amp and then for the PS3 an optical cable to an optical to coax converter box then to the mix amp. Also, since I have both hdmi for the home theater and an optical cable for the mix amp do I need to make setting changes in the 360 when going back and forth or do both send 5.1 at the same time? Thanks for any assistance.

Posting this again as it seemed to get buried in yesterday's posts. Anyone using both the optical and coax inputs on the mix amp?

Elite PRO-70X5FD!

dvdguru

Xbox Live Gamertag: AVS Steve
post #6126 of 10626 Old 03-11-2010, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Posting this again as it seemed to get buried in yesterday's posts. Anyone using both the optical and coax inputs on the mix amp?

I don't use HDMI out on the 360, there are others here who can chime in on that, but I use multiple sources to the MixAmp via an Optical Switch.
TOSLink OPTICAL AUDIO SWITCH

The Included Optical cables aren't really thick (well, 3x thicker than the stock AX720 included cable), but they are also light and don't put extra stress on the MixAmps Optical input.

Home Setup:
post #6127 of 10626 Old 03-11-2010, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have. Before I molded my toslink cable to the mixamp (broken input), I used a toslink to digital coax converter and plugged into the mixamp. They sound EXACTLY the same. Though a toslink to digital coax converter adds even more wires, and needs it's own power supply. If you have the Mixamp somwhere that hides all these wires, you'll be fine.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I also use the white/red analog input for my netbook. They all work at the same time, but not ON at the same time. From what I remember, if the source for all of them are on, the Mixamp will output the toslink audio and mute the others. I'll have to find my digital coax converter and hook it up to the ps3 while the toslink is used by the 360 to see which one the mixamp outputs. I'm 100% sure it's the toslink over the rest.
post #6128 of 10626 Old 03-11-2010, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I also use the white/red analog input for my netbook.

What Netbook you running? I have the Acer Aspire One running the latest version of Ubuntu Netbook Remix... but 'am really liking the wife's Alienware m11x (just not the price).

Home Setup:
post #6129 of 10626 Old 03-11-2010, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Asus 1201n. Dual core Atom processor, upgraded to 4gb ram (3.25 usable), and a Nvidia Ion GFX card.

I saw that new Alienware netbook, and I'm salivating. Too bad I can get a beastly desktop for that price.

edit: Oh, your wife has that? OMFG.

My girl has an HP DV8T laptop. 18.4 inch 1080p screen, 8gb ddr3 ram, Core I7. <__<<br />
Thing is HUUUUGE.
post #6130 of 10626 Old 03-11-2010, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 139
WTC, I am still interested in the K702 cable, now I was planning on waiting just a bit to see what you end up liking as far as cable size and modding for the mini-xlr / mic connectors on the headphone end...

XBOX Live: Ell Dudereno
post #6131 of 10626 Old 03-11-2010, 11:53 AM

after days of waititng i got my ad700 today, took them 8 days to get them to me, amazon had them in stock but the real vendor didnt, oh well at least they are here now.

i will be playing some BFBC2 and MW2 all night with both cans to see if these are as good as everyone says!!!

ha here is an old picture of my old ax pro with my mic mod

post #6132 of 10626 Old 03-11-2010, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote_5 View Post

WTC, I am still interested in the K702 cable, now I was planning on waiting just a bit to see what you end up liking as far as cable size and modding for the mini-xlr / mic connectors on the headphone end...

I'm going with Redco 24AWG 42 Strand wire (Canare is 40 strand). It's lighter, smaller, and more flexible than Canare... yet still has full EMI shielding. So this is the parts list so far...

1 x 6ft Redco 24AWG (42 Strand) Quad Cable
1 x 6ft TechFlex Black
1 x Neutrik Female 3.5mm connector (Silver)
1 x Neutrik Male 3.5mm connector Stereo (Silver)
1 x Neutrik Male 3.5mm connector Mono (Silver)
1 x Mini-XLR Black

Misc. lengths and sizes of Shrink Tubing (Black... 'cause it's a good color).

As for the top part, still unsure about that... doing more research on Epoxy Putty, but first cable should be shipping soon to the UK. I'll post pics of that cable when completed.

Home Setup:
post #6133 of 10626 Old 03-11-2010, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjr39 View Post

I checked and I do have optical out on reciever, so I'm good there. I hadn't heard about the HPXs before so now I'll have to go digging for info on them...

The 702s are something new to me as well. It looks like I would have to rig up a mic for them to work for gaming?

Decisions, decisions.

HPXs it is.

However, it only looks like I can buy them direct from the vendor. An Amazon search turned up nothing. Is that right or does anyone know where else I can buy them?

Salminella Now Better with Kinect: 360 PSN

Official member and mascot of the AVS' Xbox 360 Elite Club of Awesomeness
post #6134 of 10626 Old 03-11-2010, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I have. Before I molded my toslink cable to the mixamp (broken input), I used a toslink to digital coax converter and plugged into the mixamp. They sound EXACTLY the same. Though a toslink to digital coax converter adds even more wires, and needs it's own power supply. If you have the Mixamp somwhere that hides all these wires, you'll be fine.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I also use the white/red analog input for my netbook. They all work at the same time, but not ON at the same time. From what I remember, if the source for all of them are on, the Mixamp will output the toslink audio and mute the others. I'll have to find my digital coax converter and hook it up to the ps3 while the toslink is used by the 360 to see which one the mixamp outputs. I'm 100% sure it's the toslink over the rest.

Cool, thanks for the info. I figured the mix amp would work with both connections and default to optical so I'm glad that's the way it worked. Now I'm just waiting on my HPX-1's to arrive

Elite PRO-70X5FD!

dvdguru

Xbox Live Gamertag: AVS Steve
post #6135 of 10626 Old 03-11-2010, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm going with Redco 24AWG 42 Strand wire (Canare is 40 strand). It's lighter, smaller, and more flexible than Canare... yet still has full EMI shielding. So this is the parts list so far...

1 x 6ft Redco 24AWG (42 Strand) Quad Cable
1 x 6ft TechFlex Black
1 x Neutrik Female 3.5mm connector (Silver)
1 x Neutrik Male 3.5mm connector Stereo (Silver)
1 x Neutrik Male 3.5mm connector Mono (Silver)
1 x Mini-XLR Black

Misc. lengths and sizes of Shrink Tubing (Black... 'cause it's a good color).

As for the top part, still unsure about that... doing more research on Epoxy Putty, but first cable should be shipping soon to the UK. I'll post pics of that cable when completed.

Awesome, can't wait to see the finished product!

Edit: By the way what does the techflex feel like? I used standard black PET expandable sleeving with my AD700s which is nice but a bit "plasticy," as you would expect from the material. Is techflex the same? I'm interested in something a bit more soft than the PET I guess...

post #6136 of 10626 Old 03-11-2010, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Awesome, can't wait to see the finished product!

Edit: By the way what does the techflex feel like? I used standard black PET expandable sleeving with my AD700s which is nice but a bit "plasticy," as you would expect from the material. Is techflex the same? I'm interested in something a bit more soft than the PET I guess...

No, the TechFlex is probably the same thing as PET (what does that stand for)? What I originally purchased for my cables feel like a shoelace (which is very nice). I just can't find it again on Markertek for the life of me. I'm going to keep looking, though... I do have 5ft left.

I was hoping to get/do something like this out of Epoxy Putty, but I think it'll take alot of doing (Molding/Sanding/Priming/Painting) that I may not be ready for (unless I can find something pre-made that will work.

I think I might revisit my previous attempt.. but this time it'll work... 'cause I located my Dremel tool!

Home Setup:
post #6137 of 10626 Old 03-11-2010, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, the TechFlex is probably the same thing as PET (what does that stand for)? What I originally purchased for my cables feel like a shoelace (which is very nice). I just can't find it again on Markertek for the life of me. I'm going to keep looking, though... I do have 5ft left.

I was hoping to get/do something like this out of Epoxy Putty, but I think it'll take alot of doing (Molding/Sanding/Priming/Painting) that I may not be ready for (unless I can find something pre-made that will work.

I think I might revisit my previous attempt.. but this time it'll work... 'cause I located my Dremel tool!

I got this link from Headfi I think when I was looking for a PET alternative - some nice looking stuff, especially the nylon stuff... I'm guessing it would be softer than the PET braided right?

http://www.vt4c.com/shop/program/mai..._id=3&hit_cat=

post #6138 of 10626 Old 03-11-2010, 02:09 PM

Pretty sweet. They've got some great looking plugs on that site as well. Now, if only they had a 4-pole plug...
post #6139 of 10626 Old 03-11-2010, 02:29 PM

4-pole connector in case anyone wants to build their own wire...
post #6140 of 10626 Old 03-11-2010, 02:32 PM

im thinkin of getting the new x11's
post #6141 of 10626 Old 03-11-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd View Post

i hear ya... i've been working on getting rid of my TT for a while now, it's got a GT3076R and is plenty fast, i also have a VW R32, and i'm considering something 4 doorish now, not sure though as i love my car, and i've only got 1 kid who is technically ok for a regular booster now (though we'll keep him in a seat as long as he fits)

I have been following this thread and am waiting for my AD700s (coming today) and my Astro Mixamp (coming tomorrow), but I had to jump in.
Sorry to get off topic:
You have an R32.....ever been and/or are going to the Socal R GTG?
post #6142 of 10626 Old 03-11-2010, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I got this link from Headfi I think when I was looking for a PET alternative - some nice looking stuff, especially the nylon stuff... I'm guessing it would be softer than the PET braided right?

http://www.vt4c.com/shop/program/mai..._id=3&hit_cat=

The cotton Mesh stuff looks funny... lol, but definitely softer... look at the one I wrapped my cable in, I'm sure this is what you're after...

If you go any softer than that, you might not want to use it as a cable, but as a pillow.

Home Setup:
post #6143 of 10626 Old 03-11-2010, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I've not had that experience with the Zalman. It sits on my chest when gaming and everyone seems to hear me just fine.

so thats why your mic is always hot and you're hard to hear/understand a good portion of the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by octick View Post

I have been following this thread and am waiting for my AD700s (coming today) and my Astro Mixamp (coming tomorrow), but I had to jump in.
Sorry to get off topic:
You have an R32.....ever been and/or are going to the Socal R GTG?

haven't made it out, but i'd love to... i almost talked the wife into this past year, but no dice.... there are a few colorado guys that drive out almost every year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkntz View Post

4-pole connector in case anyone wants to build their own wire...

hmmm, that plug doesnt look too bad.

next step is finding a higher quality female 4 pole to replace the one inside of the mixamp

Quote:

PET (what does that stand for)?

PolyEthylene Terephthalate
its a thermoplastic polymer resin of the polyester family and is used in synthetic fibers, beverage, food and other liquid containers, thermoforming applications, and engineering resins often in combination with glass fiber.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #6144 of 10626 Old 03-11-2010, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

PolyEthylene Terephthalate
its a thermoplastic polymer resin of the polyester family and is used in synthetic fibers, beverage, food and other liquid containers, thermoforming applications, and engineering resins often in combination with glass fiber.

Oh, yea... I got a suit made out of that... with a really big collar.

Home Setup:
post #6145 of 10626 Old 03-11-2010, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

i'm just chillin here listening to some daft punk (flac) on my ksc75's.... i'm really impressed with them.... i cut a dime sized circle out of the center to accentuate the highs a little, they sound better than stock for sure, i still need to get these on some white noise for a few days, see if they open up a little... but for $14 they're an amazing value.... better sound than porta/sporta pro's if you ask me.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
post #6146 of 10626 Old 03-11-2010, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thats my suit!

Home Setup:
post #6147 of 10626 Old 03-11-2010, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

post #6148 of 10626 Old 03-11-2010, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

What the He11 'am I supposed to do with this now? Sheesh!

Guess this won't work... o'well... there's $6 in the toilet... now to keep looking. Well, if I can find a shorter "shank" on the Neutrik Female adapter, or even a comparable "Shack" one, I'll get some of those (as the Neutrik one's are fairly long). WAIT! Better yet, I can actually use a console connector if I use this setup, which would keep it low profile... Hmmm, back to the "shack" tomorrow!

Home Setup:
post #6149 of 10626 Old 03-11-2010, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

lol, is it just filled with epoxy???

i'd take the basic shape and form over it to create a mold, now what you'd fill the mold with, i'm not exactly sure :P

post #6150 of 10626 Old 03-11-2010, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

lol, is it just filled with epoxy???

i'd take the basic shape and form over it to create a mold, now what you'd fill the mold with, i'm not exactly sure :P

I might go back and get the larger one, but I don't want to add too much bulk, because it's already getting bulkier than my shrink tubing only setup.

Home Setup:
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page