What gaming headphones to buy? - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 10626 Old 12-03-2007, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First I just want to say thanks to KBI and everyone else that provided info as well as some insight in this thread. I've been watching it for a couple months now trying to decide on the best setup for late night gaming sessions in my home office that's right next to the bedroom (generally play after my wife goes to bed).

I decided to go with the Senn HD595's and the JVC box; the missing piece was what to do about voice comm. I mentioned in this thread the other day about splicing in an old iPod hear phone for the speaker along with maybe a clip on mike. I ended up going the cell phone earbud route and could not be happier so far. I picked up a Voice Star VS110 from a local Radio Shack for something like $6; for that price (if it worked) I didn't think it was worth messing around with soldering together a homemade version.

After 2 gaming sessions tonight with the full setup (had already used the headphones for a few days) that totaled about 4 hours or so I couldn't be happier with the my choices. I had no doubt that I'd be satisfied with the Senn's having used their products a good bit in the past when I thought I'd make my "millions" behind a sound board. I wasn't sure about the JVC box but after using it for a few days I definitely like it.

As for the cheap little earbud, it works very well. I could hear everyone online just fine and they could hear me. The ear piece itself fit comfortably under the 595's and while it obviously blocks some sound from my left ear it wasn't any different (maybe better) than having a regular XBL headset on that covers most of one ear. What's nice also is that the earbud setup has an inline volume control, a mute switch, and a mic sensitivity switch. I'd recommend that anyone that went or goes the stereo head phone route give an earbud setup like this a try.

I actually like the JVC box more and more each time I've used it. The more I use it the better I feel like a can gauge the direction of sounds around me. As others have said it's a little tricky if a sound is directly behind you but I don't feel like I'm at a disadvantage versus running the sound through my HT. During my second session tonight I played 6 or so COD4 Hardcore matches which for me mean moving slower and listening more. I could easily pick out people moving around me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 10626 Old 12-03-2007, 09:25 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foe-hammer View Post

What are the benefits of having closed cans, such as the beyer 770's, other then noise reduction?

I really had my heart set on the beyer 770's, because they look so damn comfortable. Compared to the Senn 595s, what would they beyer's be lacking in FPS type games? Are you positive that the Senn 595's have a wider soundstage then the beyers?

Thanks again...

With both cans being equal, the open model provides better SQ. I'm 100% sure the 595's have a wider sound stage & are better at detail.. Most people recommend the 770's for gaming cause of the crazy bass they provide. Thats not something you seem to like.. The 595 bass is tighter, better defined & snappier.. More quality over quantity. & they are very comfortable as well..

If you are dead set on getting the Beyers buy from a retailer with a good return policy. Both cans are good, mid fi, audiophile type headphones..

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
post #633 of 10626 Old 12-03-2007, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI View Post

With both cans being equal, the open model provides better SQ. I'm 100% sure the 595's have a wider sound stage & are better at detail.. Most people recommend the 770's for gaming cause of the crazy bass they provide. Thats not something you seem to like.. The 595 bass is tighter, better defined & snappier.. More quality over quantity. & they are very comfortable as well..

If you are dead set on getting the Beyers buy from a retailer with a good return policy. Both cans are good, mid fi, audiophile type headphones..

Thanks, bro.

I think i'll order both from guitar center, and then return one of them.

Check my profile for headphones and headphone amps...
post #634 of 10626 Old 12-03-2007, 11:00 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, bro.

I think i'll order both from guitar center, and then return one of them.

Wise Decision.

post #635 of 10626 Old 12-04-2007, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR1 View Post

http://www.astrogaming.com/equipment/

These could be interesting. Hopefully we'll get a review soon.

I've been talking back and forth with one of their reps ("Stormy"), and this is some of what he had to say about how their setup compares to good headphones:

Quote:

We think that our setup compares very favorably to the Pioneer and
the PA2V2. Though, we've moved the amp and surround decoding into
it's own box to unburden the headset and give the customer more
flexibility. Of course, this headset has been designed to be a GAMING
headset, first and foremost. So, for gamers, you'll find that there
are a myriad of features and benefits that the big manufacturers have
simply left out. I'll leave it up to you to find that information on
our website (check the FAQ, too, for really detailed info).

As for comparing to the Beyer 770, I have to say that we really like
this heads--um, I mean headPHONE. You'll have to deal with your own
microphone solution if you go with a headphone product. But other
than that major difference, the Beyer is really a different class of
product because of the "Closed Can" design principle that it is based
upon. The A40 Headset is open, and that's a big difference in sound
and feel. You'd obviously be more used to the A40 design because of
your long experience with the Pioneer product.

We've made thoughtful and thoroughly-tested choices when it comes
to every feature in the system, esp. things like wireless, surround
formats, and price. This is a tournament grade system, so wireless is
out until we can find a technology that will let hundreds, if not
thousands of wireless units co-exist. Or, until we can have a number
of different products in the marketplace, and can have both a
"Tournament" grade, and a "Home" grade.

As for DTS, this is a different format that really doesn't offer the
consumer too much benefit in my opinion. True, DTS is a wholly
different mix, but it really doesn't make a solid argument that it is
BETTER, save for bit rate when that applies. Games are Dolby anyway,
almost exclusively. DTS licensing would simply add dollars to the
cost of the end product. To be fair, Dolby adds quite a bit of cost
as well--more than any other single component. Simply look at our
competition to try and find genuine Dolby decoding -- it's very rare.
Most brands choose to knock-off Dolby with "5.1 Surroundz-around
Soundz"(tm) due to cost and quality constraints. We think having a
genuine Dolby product is the way to go.

Quote:

The guys at Head Fi and AVS are right, most gaming headsets really don't compare to high-end dedicated-use headphones. The market is really competitive and "no free lunch" rules apply -- the cost and complexity of adding a microphone system has to come out of somewhere. But it's not just that -- they start out at a much lower price point, usually. We hope to bridge that gap a bit.

Final Boss actually uses the 555 model, and we compare very favorably to that model. The A40's have a nice little midrange bump that the pros swear let's them hear things in games that they don't usually hear and that's by design. Game soundtracks use a lot of mid bass to midrange frequencies to notify the player of the direction of things in the game through audio cues. The 555's are seriously flat in response -- depending on who is doing the measuring, but that is the model we've chosen to be competitive against. The 580/600/650 HD range are famously hard to drive (I've owned several pair of those presonally), and I think the A40 is a much better compromise on performance and features.

But this is all really apples and oranges. You really need to think about whether you'd like a headset, or a simple pair of headphones and deal with the lower quality lapel mic. That's probably the better question to wrestle with first. Here's an example: with a headphone/lapel mic setup, you'd have to fiddle with the mute button in order to talk to someone in the room or munch on a noisy/crunchy snack. With the A40 Headset, you'd simply swing the mic boom up and away from your mouth. The mic is so directional and noise canceling that simply moving it into the vertical stored position is ostensibly an additional mute control. Going back to other lower quality solutions was really tough after using the A40 for any length of time.

Remember you can also get the standalone MixAmp and run any set of headphones and benefit from Dolby decoding and Headphone. The MixAmp will come with an adapter that you can also plug your lapel mic into for integrated chat. That might be a great start to see if you like our tech. Sounds like you'd be happiest with an all-out audiophile grade set of cans and don't really need many features beyond that.

Tear it apart as you see fit, KBI.

I wanted to also add that the guy seems very honest, and reasonably knowledgeable audiophile.

post #636 of 10626 Old 12-04-2007, 08:14 AM

KBI,

I've been looking into the Mini³ ("Mini cubed") headphone pocket amp.
http://www.rockhopperaudio.com/

Are you familiar with it, and would you recommend it?

Thanks again...

post #637 of 10626 Old 12-04-2007, 11:20 AM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've been talking back and forth with one of their reps ("Stormy"), and this is some of what he had to say about how their setup compares to good headphones:

Tear it apart as you see fit, KBI.

I just skimmed through it. Nothing to tear really.. They seem to be headed in the right direction. No 8 drivers, not wireless. They seem to be some what headphone savy.. No marketing BS

post #638 of 10626 Old 12-04-2007, 11:23 AM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

KBI,

I've been looking into the Mini³ ("Mini cubed") headphone pocket amp.
http://www.rockhopperaudio.com/

Are you familiar with it, and would you recommend it?

Thanks again...

Yes, & Yes..

post #639 of 10626 Old 12-04-2007, 11:44 AM

Quote:

Yes, & Yes..

Are they worth the $125 price tag - are they $70 more better then the Bass Boost cMoy v2.00, of which only cost $56 shipped?

I'm guessing the Mini³ amp is in an entire different class then the Bass Boost cMoy v2, in terms of quality and power?

post #640 of 10626 Old 12-04-2007, 11:57 AM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are they worth the $125 price tag - are they $70 more better then the Bass Boost cMoy v2.00, of which only cost $56 shipped?

I'm guessing the Mini³ amp is in an entire different class then the Bass Boost cMoy v2, in terms of quality and power?

IMO, yes..

post #641 of 10626 Old 12-04-2007, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
If the A40's come out well, I'll buy them to support the company. They seem very honest which is rare and certainly a quality that earns my support. Again, the performance needs to be good but I'm ready to buy.
post #642 of 10626 Old 12-05-2007, 12:30 AM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR1 View Post

If the A40's come out well, I'll buy them to support the company. They seem very honest which is rare and certainly a quality that earns my support. Again, the performance needs to be good but I'm ready to buy.

After reading the response I think it would be a wise choice.. If they actually attune frequencies for gaming purposes, as I read, that could be a great advantage to have. They modeled their headphone after a audiophile grade Sen 555. Went all out with real Dolby DH.. They are honest, upfront, & umm honest.. Even recommended the poster he might be better off with the 770 instead of their headphone. Integrity lives. Hopefully the 250.00 price won't scare pro gamers away.. I endorse the Astro & Beyer MX300 as the best gaming headsets on the market today!!

post #643 of 10626 Old 12-05-2007, 01:32 AM

Quote:

After reading the response I think it would be a wise choice.. If they actually attune frequencies for gaming purposes, as I read, that could be a great advantage to have. They modeled their headphone after a audiophile grade Sen 555. Went all out with real Dolby DH.. They are honest, upfront, & umm honest.. Even recommended the poster he might be better off with the 770 instead of their headphone. Integrity lives. Hopefully the 250.00 price won't scare pro gamers away.. I endorse the Astro & Beyer MX300 as the best gaming headsets on the market today!!

Agreed. If i already didn't have the Pioneer 800C receiver i'd have no hesitation of getting the A40's. But when i can get a pair of better headphones for less then i'd pay for their complete setup, i don't know if it is worth it. Their MixAmp and built in mic does sound VERY appealing, much better then the clip on mic with headphones.

The other thing that makes me reserved about the A40's is no support for DTS. DTS is very nice to have with DH for movies.

post #644 of 10626 Old 12-05-2007, 02:10 AM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Agreed. If i already didn't have the Pioneer 800C receiver i'd have no hesitation of getting the A40's. But when i can get a pair of better headphones for less then i'd pay for their complete setup, i don't know if it is worth it. Their MixAmp and built in mic does sound VERY appealing, much better then the clip on mic with headphones.

The other thing that makes me reserved about the A40's is no support for DTS. DTS is very nice to have with DH for movies.

Yes, & by most accounts better. I always preferred DTS over Dolby. It's upsetting that 'next gen' consoles won't give us this option along with Digital coax support, & unbalanced RCA support..

post #645 of 10626 Old 12-06-2007, 05:48 AM

I just came across another highly recommend set of headphones that are in the same price range ($200) as the Beyer 770's and Senn 595's. They are the AKG 601's.

Sorry to keep bothering you, KBI, but what are you thoughts on the AKG's? How do they compare to the Beyers and Senns?

post #646 of 10626 Old 12-06-2007, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
well i went to target to pick up some 201's just to have some back up cans, and sadly target in my area doesnt carry them.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #647 of 10626 Old 12-06-2007, 12:32 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just came across another highly recommend set of headphones that are in the same price range ($200) as the Beyer 770's and Senn 595's. They are the AKG 601's.

Sorry to keep bothering you, KBI, but what are you thoughts on the AKG's? How do they compare to the Beyers and Senns?

For gaming I have no clue.. They are more musical then the others listed though..

post #648 of 10626 Old 12-06-2007, 03:30 PM

Hi guys,

My name is Josh "Stormy" LaTendresse, and I am the producer for the ASTRO Gaming A40 System.

I have to say that I didn't expect to have our entire conversation transcribed verbatim on the AVS Forums... but it's cool. But now my secret is out(!) -- back when I used to write the Hook Up for Penny-Arcade I somehow got into the habit of coming off as the biggest jerk possible on the column, but made sure that people who took the time to write in got as good an answer to their question that I could muster, in the politest way possible. So, I'm happy to see that this old habit dies hard.

Anyways, hopefully you guys will be happy to know that in addition to being an avid audiophile and home theater aficionado, I have a pretty deep home theater background industry-speaking as well. In addition to writing the Hook Up for over four years, I also wrote all of the Audio/Video setup chapters in O'Reilly's Gaming Hacks. I also worked as an editor for Future US Publishing, writing for GamesRadar and PC Gamer. Before my career switched to the gaming industry, I worked for several well-known consumer electronic manufacturers.

If you guys have any other questions about the A40 stuff, please feel free to ask. I'm at: stormy@astrogaming.com

Storm Shadow
post #649 of 10626 Old 12-06-2007, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Josh,

Good to see you on here. Will be offering your product to sites for reviews (no, I'm not part of any such sites ). Just would like see some reviews on it. If so, any eta?
post #650 of 10626 Old 12-06-2007, 04:44 PM

You should be seeing tons of reviews later this month. I just allocated a bunch of units out to the enthusiast and mainstream media.

BTW, who do you guys go to for reviews? Whose opinion do you trust the most?

Storm Shadow
post #651 of 10626 Old 12-06-2007, 09:08 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Shadow PA View Post

Hi guys,

My name is Josh "Stormy" LaTendresse, and I am the producer for the ASTRO Gaming A40 System.

I have to say that I didn't expect to have our entire conversation transcribed verbatim on the AVS Forums... but it's cool. But now my secret is out(!) -- back when I used to write the Hook Up for Penny-Arcade I somehow got into the habit of coming off as the biggest jerk possible on the column, but made sure that people who took the time to write in got as good an answer to their question that I could muster, in the politest way possible. So, I'm happy to see that this old habit dies hard.

Anyways, hopefully you guys will be happy to know that in addition to being an avid audiophile and home theater aficionado, I have a pretty deep home theater background industry-speaking as well. In addition to writing the Hook Up for over four years, I also wrote all of the Audio/Video setup chapters in O'Reilly's Gaming Hacks. I also worked as an editor for Future US Publishing, writing for GamesRadar and PC Gamer. Before my career switched to the gaming industry, I worked for several well-known consumer electronic manufacturers.

If you guys have any other questions about the A40 stuff, please feel free to ask. I'm at: stormy@astrogaming.com

From the looks of it you seem to get it right. I'd only recommend the Beyer MX300 & your astro as the only quality headsets to get. I never been impressed with any gaming headset besides the above mentioned. Unlike the others you know multiple drivers degrades the SQ & isn't accurate enough, or that great for 5.1. Manipulating in game frequencies to increase the gamers performance is unheard of in regards to gaming headsets, at least the ones I know of. All they claim is you hear footsteps? I want proof that the headset is really geared for gaming. & by the looks of it your headset is. Basing it off the Sen 555 is also a great move. Getting Dolby on board was a great choice, & I applaud that with the run of the mill 'true' 5.1 headsets, that want you to believe that their way is better..

I recommended the JVC 5.1 adapter to many here & they seem to really enjoy it. It's also Dolby. Do you think your mixer amp is comparable or betters the JVC? I just hope people don't balk on price tag.. Mic wise you seem to have everything covered. Very well thought out. Probably the best out of the gaming headsets today. The Beyer MX300 uses aviation quality mic, but aren't as gaming savy as you are.. Meaning you know what gamers need & want.

Basically I'm the headphone nut around here.. Spent nearly 3 grand on my headphone gear..Including the Studio grade Benchmark DAC1.

post #652 of 10626 Old 12-06-2007, 10:30 PM

Stormy,

Sorry for not asking you first before posting most of our full conversation. I just knew that people here would respect a lot of what you had to say. This was the only site in where i did such. The other sites i just explained the A40s, and my interest in them.

KBI,

What are Beyer MX300? I tried to find info on them but came up with nothing.

Also i just received the Beyer DT770's... and i'm not impressed. I'll be sending them back asap. I hope the Senn 595s and AKG K6100 fare better.

post #653 of 10626 Old 12-06-2007, 11:18 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Yeah, a lot of people feel they are overrated.. ppl recommend them cause they are bass heavy.. But the recessed mids kill them for me..

http://www.beyerdynamic.de/cms/Gamin...ctdatabase_pi1[showUid][showUID]=2109&tx_sbproductdatabase_pi1[showUid][backPID]=2028&cHash=fdd83f5e9e

They also offer headphone game, a surround sound gaming set up.. Supports DTS as well.. I found this to be good too: • Surround simulation using the same audio set that sound designers worldwide employ to produce and program effects and soundtracks for games Uber expensive though..

post #654 of 10626 Old 12-07-2007, 02:27 AM

Well, the JVC box and the A40 MixAmp are pretty similar in price and basic function -- so I don't think that anyone will balk at the price it if they were considering the former. I read a little bit about it the other day and while it seemed fine, I was puzzled by the fact that it doesn't let the user power it via USB, or DC wall wart, and it only accepts 2 X AA batteries. While it's nice that it takes half the batteries of the A40 MixAmp, you are stuck with battery power and it's rated for 10 hours (and probably a bit less in actual practice).

Conversely, the A40 accepts USB 2.0 power (and comes with a USB to mini cable to juice it if that's how you want to power it). It also accepts 4 X AA batteries for about 16-20 hours of use -- maybe a little more useful for 15+ hour overseas flights. Lastly, every A40 has a built-in recharging bay for an optional NiMH rechargeable battery pack (in place of the AA batteries), that is recharged via the USB power when in use or in standby mode. All in all, we think its power options are very versatile.

Beyond that, the A40 MixAmp twirls around and does a little song and dance with its myriad of mixer features. It really is a useful little mixer -- you can inject your iPod into the mix and listen to your own music while playing. This can really change the experience more than you'd think -- I played Burnout Revenge while listening to the Katamari Damacy sountrack last week for example -- really strange but interesting.

Obviously it also mixes in a full range of voice communication functions -- Xbox Live communication of course for starters -- but also enables you to set up your own chat channel with the built-in daisy chain connector when you have two or more connected A40's. The difference between Xbox Live and daisy-chained communication is *startling*. This is the demo I give to people that come to the office, if they don't really understand why the A40 is so cool. I let them talk to each other using high-latency, low quality Xbox Live chat, then switch to low latency, high quality daisy-chained chat using the A40's circuitry. They immediately get it.

You see, even in a wired LAN, networked Xbox and Xbox 360s still exhibit a high degree of latency through the chat function -- as bad as 500+ms for the Xbox 360 with wireless controllers. PC's in LAN do this too, esp. when the VoIP program is hosted by a 3rd computer -- worse still if that host is off-site, tangled up in the internet somewhere. When you are sitting right next to someone at a gaming event even a short delay can seem very strange. With daisy chained voice comm, the latency is damn near zero, full duplex, and extremely high quality (much better than land line telephone). In addition, we've added a compression/expansion circuit (so you won't hear someone breathing into the mic, and limits the max output to a sane level if they are screaming into it). We've also added a bit of sidetone, which is important if you have a dual-ear headset voice comm system, but I won't get too into those details.

Maybe you don't care about all of the voice comm/Xbox live gaming stuff, and you just want a nice looking, portable surround processor that's a genuine Dolby product. That's totally cool, and you are free to adapt our very purpose-built gaming device to your home theater application. We sell it separately from the headset.

But for my gamers out there -- isn't it nice that a mainstream consumer electronics user will have to adapt to a gaming-specific device for a change--instead of ALWAYS THE OTHER WAY AROUND?

Storm Shadow
post #655 of 10626 Old 12-07-2007, 11:20 AM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, the JVC box and the A40 MixAmp are pretty similar in price and basic function -- so I don't think that anyone will balk at the price it if they were considering the former. I read a little bit about it the other day and while it seemed fine, I was puzzled by the fact that it doesn't let the user power it via USB, or DC wall wart, and it only accepts 2 X AA batteries. While it's nice that it takes half the batteries of the A40 MixAmp, you are stuck with battery power and it's rated for 10 hours (and probably a bit less in actual practice).

Conversely, the A40 accepts USB 2.0 power (and comes with a USB to mini cable to juice it if that's how you want to power it). It also accepts 4 X AA batteries for about 16-20 hours of use -- maybe a little more useful for 15+ hour overseas flights. Lastly, every A40 has a built-in recharging bay for an optional NiMH rechargeable battery pack (in place of the AA batteries), that is recharged via the USB power when in use or in standby mode. All in all, we think its power options are very versatile.

Beyond that, the A40 MixAmp twirls around and does a little song and dance with its myriad of mixer features. It really is a useful little mixer -- you can inject your iPod into the mix and listen to your own music while playing. This can really change the experience more than you'd think -- I played Burnout Revenge while listening to the Katamari Damacy sountrack last week for example -- really strange but interesting.

Obviously it also mixes in a full range of voice communication functions -- Xbox Live communication of course for starters -- but also enables you to set up your own chat channel with the built-in daisy chain connector when you have two or more connected A40's. The difference between Xbox Live and daisy-chained communication is *startling*. This is the demo I give to people that come to the office, if they don't really understand why the A40 is so cool. I let them talk to each other using high-latency, low quality Xbox Live chat, then switch to low latency, high quality daisy-chained chat using the A40's circuitry. They immediately get it.

You see, even in a wired LAN, networked Xbox and Xbox 360s still exhibit a high degree of latency through the chat function -- as bad as 500+ms for the Xbox 360 with wireless controllers. PC's in LAN do this too, esp. when the VoIP program is hosted by a 3rd computer -- worse still if that host is off-site, tangled up in the internet somewhere. When you are sitting right next to someone at a gaming event even a short delay can seem very strange. With daisy chained voice comm, the latency is damn near zero, full duplex, and extremely high quality (much better than land line telephone). In addition, we've added a compression/expansion circuit (so you won't hear someone breathing into the mic, and limits the max output to a sane level if they are screaming into it). We've also added a bit of sidetone, which is important if you have a dual-ear headset voice comm system, but I won't get too into those details.

Maybe you don't care about all of the voice comm/Xbox live gaming stuff, and you just want a nice looking, portable surround processor that's a genuine Dolby product. That's totally cool, and you are free to adapt our very purpose-built gaming device to your home theater application. We sell it separately from the headset.

But for my gamers out there -- isn't it nice that a mainstream consumer electronics user will have to adapt to a gaming-specific device for a change--instead of ALWAYS THE OTHER WAY AROUND?

So you connect it Via USB cable to the 360 or optical? Does it support unbalanced RCA? I'm thinking about buying it, but would need a male XLR 1/4 adapter cable since my headphones have been reconfigurated to XLR.

post #656 of 10626 Old 12-07-2007, 11:26 AM
A.C
Advanced Member

there's been a lot of interesting discussion in this thread since i left. good stuff.

i'm still happy with my 595's... however i wish i had a better solution for the mic. right now i'm just putting the 360 mic around my neck. i find i like it better than the clip on... as i don't have to talk as loud to be heard by others. i really need to MacGuyer a boom mic onto the 595 & create an "all-in-one" solution.

that or find a good neck-mic (ala the military). any suggestions??

XBL: HiFi Buckeye
PSN: hifibuckeye
post #657 of 10626 Old 12-07-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.C View Post

there's been a lot of interesting discussion in this thread since i left. good stuff.

i'm still happy with my 595's... however i wish i had a better solution for the mic. right now i'm just putting the 360 mic around my neck. i find i like it better than the clip on... as i don't have to talk as loud to be heard by others. i really need to MacGuyer a boom mic onto the 595 & create an "all-in-one" solution.

that or find a good neck-mic (ala the military). any suggestions??

I've been using a Zalman clip on mic that I hard wired to the original xbox controller adapter, and I find that it actually works better than using the regular headset around my neck. People tell me and from my own experience recording and listening back to voice messages that the Zalman is louder and more clear than the xbox mic.
post #658 of 10626 Old 12-07-2007, 12:37 PM

AC, check out my post at the top of the page in regards to the mic solution (wired cell phone ear bud w/vol & mute). I'm quite happy it, I've been gaming online all week. I can hear others just fine and everyone says they can hear me just fine. I drop in the earbud, put on the 595's over it, and can barely even feel it most of the time. I did remove the rubber covering because it seemed to block a little of the sound. In my experience you have to really be trying to notice any loss of sound quality that may come from having the bud in the ear blocking some portion of the sound from the 595's. When I'm in a game prefer this setup to my 5.1 system in some respects and heck for $6 it wouldn't be a big gamble to see it you like the bud.
post #659 of 10626 Old 12-07-2007, 01:17 PM

Quote:

So you connect it Via USB cable to the 360 or optical? Does it support unbalanced RCA? I'm thinking about buying it, but would need a male XLR 1/4 adapter cable since my headphones have been reconfigurated to XLR.

The USB is for power(only), for the audio feed you have the choice between unbalanced RCA, optical, or even digital coax. I wanted to include coax on the A40 because I know that people would want to run a long digital cable from their receivers but get away from using fragile and expensive Toslink optical cables.

Storm Shadow
post #660 of 10626 Old 12-08-2007, 07:21 AM

Quote:

The USB is for power(only), for the audio feed you have the choice between unbalanced RCA, optical, or even digital coax. I wanted to include coax on the A40 because I know that people would want to run a long digital cable from their receivers but get away from using fragile and expensive Toslink optical cables.

DTS... how much more would it cost to include that in your mixer, if you could estimate?

Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page