What gaming headphones to buy? - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 10626 Old 01-04-2008, 07:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm about a month into running 595's with the JVC DH box using a cell phone ear bud for voice comm and I'm still very happy with the performance of everything from SQ to the directionality of sounds. After trying the 360's and the X1's I wouldn't trade my setup for either of those. I would have tried the A40's but I don't think they were available yet when I decided on the 595's. I'd still like to hear them but I can't imagine their overall performance being so much better (if at all) that it would make me want to drop the 595's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 10626 Old 01-04-2008, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelate View Post

Yeah, but the trade off is voice chat functionality. Using quality stereo headphones and an SS adapter doesn't address this. Finding a 'gaming headset' that has less than stellar audio but fairly streamlined Xbox Live chat might be a worthwhile hunt for some of us...

Hey Pixel - this is SKULLFACE. Just saying hi, somehow I just realized it was you.

-JR
post #723 of 10626 Old 01-05-2008, 02:38 AM

I have never tried any of the turtle beach headphones, but i have seen/handled them. And if the build quality is any indication of the sound quality, then it would be garbage. I've never seen something more cheaply made. The damn think looks like a 2 yr olds toy. No offense.

Check my profile for headphones and headphone amps...
post #724 of 10626 Old 01-05-2008, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

For Xbox live X3 Turtle beach work and sound fine. If I want to be quite late at night. Sounds good for gaming and you can talk back. It doesn't sound as good as my 2 Svs subs and surround six 170 SE one 340se center Ascends but still good to me. For the price they are good IME
post #725 of 10626 Old 01-05-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmike86 View Post

For Xbox live X3 Turtle beach work and sound fine. If I want to be quite late at night. Sounds good for gaming and you can talk back. It doesn't sound as good as my 2 Svs subs and surround six 170 SE one 340se center Ascends but still good to me. For the price they are good IME

Forget a quality sound system. They would have a hard time bettering a $15 pair of headphones.

post #726 of 10626 Old 01-05-2008, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foe-hammer View Post

Forget a quality sound system. They would have a hard time bettering a $15 pair of headphones.

You just said you never used them.
post #727 of 10626 Old 01-05-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodedSoldier View Post

You just said you never used them.

To the sound, no. But the build quality is bested by cheap $15 headphones. And i'm guessing the sound, too. Anyone who has owned a decent pair of headphones, and have seen the turtle beach headsets, would realize this.

Then again, I don't expect the general gamers to know their head from their rear when it comes to quality headphones. So the praise for turtle beach is to be expected. No offense.

post #728 of 10626 Old 01-05-2008, 10:30 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To the sound, no. But the build quality is bested by cheap $15 headphones. And i'm guessing the sound, too. Anyone who has owned a decent pair of headphones, and have seen the turtle beach headsets, would realize this.

Then again, I don't expect the general gamers to know their head from their rear when it comes to quality headphones. So the praise for turtle beach is to be expected. No offense.

Blunt but true. Why buy cheaply made & subpar sounding headphones cause they have gaming on the package.. Thats a red flag right there, since most 'gaming' headsets/headphones are of poor build & sound quality..

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
post #729 of 10626 Old 01-06-2008, 12:45 AM

I must be on the wrong website. Is it too much to ask that people not recommend or trash products that they've never used?

And, honestly, the point has been made about people looking for 'gaming headphones' being idiots; there's no need to keep making it. This is still a thread asking for opinions about 'gaming headphones', so perhaps some of you need to just accept that we clearly don't know any better and leave it alone.

For instance, saying the Turtle Beach X3's have worse build quality than $15 headphones is inflammatory and unhelpful. I have a pair of X3's, I don't like them, I'm planning to return them, but they're certainly not comparable to a $15 pair of headphones. I own many 'decent' pairs of headphones, from pricey Sennheisers and Grados to cheap Sonys, so hopefully I'm qualified to point out that this kind of input is sort of ridiculous.

Coming out in the next month or so are more products by these same companies (Ear Force X4's, AX360 Pros), being marketed to gamers specifically, and we're probably going to talk about them as well. Hopefully that possibility won't make anyone's head explode.
post #730 of 10626 Old 01-06-2008, 02:46 AM

Quote:

I must be on the wrong website. Is it too much to ask that people not recommend or trash products that they've never used?

They are junk, get over it.

Quote:

And, honestly, the point has been made about people looking for 'gaming headphones' being idiots; there's no need to keep making it.

Well it obviously is, because people keep asking it when it has been answered a dozen time. Readers should have the decency to read what has already been said, instead of just lazily ask a question that has been asked many times already, and expect a reply.

Quote:

This is still a thread asking for opinions about 'gaming headphones', so perhaps some of you need to just accept that we clearly don't know any better and leave it alone.

And if anyone would take the time to actually read this topic, they wouldn't ask the same question over and over and over.

If you were to read it, you'd know this thread's about headsets/headphones that due 5.1 surround. Not stereo headsets, like what turtle beach offers.

Quote:

For instance, saying the Turtle Beach X3's have worse build quality than $15 headphones is inflammatory and unhelpful. I have a pair of X3's, I don't like them, I'm planning to return them, but they're certainly not comparable to a $15 pair of headphones. I own many 'decent' pairs of headphones, from pricey Sennheisers and Grados to cheap Sonys, so hopefully I'm qualified to point out that this kind of input is sort of ridiculous.

Is it? I think is helpful to let others know not to waste their money on such POS. I'd only recommend it to those who are 10 yrs old and under. They are a toy. And i have seen many headphones in the $15-20 range that are built of much better quality then the craptastic turtle beach x1-3's.

http://www.instrumentpro.com/P-SENHD201?source=froogle
Quality... $20 well spent.

Garbage... $60 wasted. Just look at that fine craftsmanship! Nice fine leather, and robust hi-grade plastic!

Quote:

Coming out in the next month or so are more products by these same companies (Ear Force X4's, AX360 Pros), being marketed to gamers specifically, and we're probably going to talk about them as well. Hopefully that possibility won't make anyone's head explode.

Both of which are inferior products, because they use the multi-speaker approach to 5.1, instead of Dolby Headphone.

Read, learn, be wise.

post #731 of 10626 Old 01-06-2008, 08:15 AM

Quote:

They are junk, get over it.

Huh? I'm not defending any of the products mentioned, I just think it's a waste of people's time having to wade through misleading comments from people with no firsthand experience.

Quote:

If you were to read it, you'd know this thread's about headsets/headphones that due 5.1 surround. Not stereo headsets, like what turtle beach offers.

Really. Go back and read the very first post. Respond and tell me what the original poster was asking about.

Quote:

Garbage... $60 wasted.

The X3's may be a piece of crap, but it's stupid to compare them to the Sennheisers. The X3's have IR wireless capabilities, an integrated microphone, an attachment w/ mute function for the 360 controller and rudimentary mixing functions. Meanwhile, the Sennheisers are just stereo headphones. It's like comparing the build quality of a cheap Swiss army knife to a cheap screwdriver.

Quote:

Both of which are inferior products, because they use the multi-speaker approach to 5.1, instead of Dolby Headphone.

Read, learn, be wise.

No, the Ear Force models are not 5.1 multi-speaker headphones. I'd work on getting basic stuff like this correct before instructing other people to read and learn.

In all seriousness, I'd suggest starting another thread espousing the virtues of Dolby Headphone tech vs. headphones with multiple drivers. I think people reading THIS thread understand that there are two approaches, yet still just might be here to discuss "gaming headphones".
post #732 of 10626 Old 01-06-2008, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have Sennheiser Rs 130 for late night movies but you can't use those to talk on Xbox live. The Turtle beach IME are made decent. Sennheiser the one's I have don't have much better build quality. IMO .You don't get Dolby headphone with the Turtle beach but if you want to talk on XBL tell me what headphone will do that? I like to use a mic. If I wasn't trying to be quite I would never use headphones. NOTHING beat playing it loud out of your stereo. Headphone's don't shake you body like a pair of SVS subs. And the 5.1 surround doesn't sound as good no matter how they try to mimic it. If you look at regular mics that go for $30 that are made for live chat the extra $50 is worth it imo. For Xbox live they are good. Post a link with a headphone that has chat. Otherwise you can use any headphone if you don't want to chat which would probably be better and cheaper.
post #733 of 10626 Old 01-06-2008, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Huh? I'm not defending any of the products mentioned, I just think it's a waste of people's time having to wade through misleading comments from people with no firsthand experience.

Really. Go back and read the very first post. Respond and tell me what the original poster was asking about.

In all seriousness, I'd suggest starting another thread espousing the virtues of Dolby Headphone tech vs. headphones with multiple drivers. I think people reading THIS thread understand that there are two approaches, yet still just might be here to discuss "gaming headphones".

Exactly GAMING HEADPHONES
post #734 of 10626 Old 01-06-2008, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I have Sennheiser Rs 130 for late night movies but you can't use those to talk on Xbox live. The Turtle beach IME are made decent. Sennheiser the one's I have don't have much better build quality. IMO .You don't get Dolby headphone with the Turtle beach but if you want to talk on XBL tell me what headphone will do that? I like to use a mic. If I wasn't trying to be quite I would never use headphones. NOTHING beat playing it loud out of your stereo. Headphone's don't shake you body like a pair of SVS subs. And the 5.1 surround doesn't sound as good no matter how they try to mimic it. If you look at regular mics that go for $30 that are made for live chat the extra $50 is worth it imo. For Xbox live they are good. Post a link with a headphone that has chat. Otherwise you can use any headphone if you don't want to chat which would probably be better and cheaper.

gaming headsets for the most part are garbage! for 6 dollars you can turn ANY set of headphones into a "chat headset" with an earbud or clip-on mic.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #735 of 10626 Old 01-06-2008, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd View Post

gaming headsets for the most part are garbage! for 6 dollars you can turn ANY set of headphones into a "chat headset" with an earbud or clip-on mic.

I didn't know that. How? for $6. I tried to find a way with my Sennheiser and couldn't. I would like to know how. But I still say they sound good. garbage is relative. Garbage headphones is no different than a garbage HT system for a Xbox. Everyone has different needs.
post #736 of 10626 Old 01-06-2008, 01:41 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And, honestly, the point has been made about people looking for 'gaming headphones' being idiots; there's no need to keep making it. This is still a thread asking for opinions about 'gaming headphones', so perhaps some of you need to just accept that we clearly don't know any better and leave it alone.

It would ideal.. But if everyone only made comments & recommendations based on use of said product this thread along with others would be pretty barren..

No one is stupid for buying any gaming headphone/headset. Many people are misinformed.. I think what gets hammer upset are the type that read this thread, get info & still buy the questionable product. If a person wants convience over SQ & build quality thats fine.. I know having a headset/headphone with a mic is important, along with other functions geared for specific consoles.

My mine gripe are the reviewers who give these products great reviews without having a vast experience with other headphones in the same price range.. Comments like this from reviews irks me to no end..
"The AX360 is a great product at a great price. Thee is little out there that is comparable in terms of quality."

Little out there that is comparable in terms & quality? I guess everyone can be a reviewer online now days, especially with blogs

post #737 of 10626 Old 01-06-2008, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

KBI
I looked at you link how do you make any headphones voice chat over XBL? I know any headphone will sound good or better than the X3 but for convince, wireless which everyone could hear they work good IME. Could never find a $6 fix like previous poster said??
post #738 of 10626 Old 01-06-2008, 02:23 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

KBI
I looked at you link how do you make any headphones voice chat over XBL? I know any headphone will sound good or better than the X3 but for convince, wireless which everyone could hear they work good IME. Could never find a $6 fix like previous poster said??

ppl have done it who post in this thread. I am not that technical, nor have I tried it. Not sure about the 6 dollar fix..

post #739 of 10626 Old 01-06-2008, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I didn't know that. How? for $6. I tried to find a way with my Sennheiser and couldn't. I would like to know how. But I still say they sound good. garbage is relative. Garbage headphones is no different than a garbage HT system for a Xbox. Everyone has different needs.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #740 of 10626 Old 01-06-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:

Misleading comments? According to whom? You? We are trying to help people make wise decisions based on quality products. What are you doing?

Quote:

The topic title is gaming HEADPHONES. Repeat: HEADPHONES... not HEADSET. Regardless, if you were to read all of the posts you'd realize the original poster bought Senn 595s to go along with a Dolby Headphone receiver, and not a gaming headset. The topic was and is centered around 5.1 headphones. Only those who do not read and just reply without thinking, bring up headsets like turtle beach when it has already been brought up and discussed a dozen times!

Quote:

The X3's may be a piece of crap, but it's stupid to compare them to the Sennheisers. The X3's have IR wireless capabilities, an integrated microphone, an attachment w/ mute function for the 360 controller and rudimentary mixing functions. Meanwhile, the Sennheisers are just stereo headphones. It's like comparing the build quality of a cheap Swiss army knife to a cheap screwdriver.

The x3's are even more expensive, at $100. I was comparing it to the $60 x1's. Regardless of features, the x1-3's are of lower quality compared to the senn 201's i linked to. And guess what, they are only $20. I could then add a zalman clip on mic, that attaches to the headphone cable, for less then $10, and have all the capabilities of the turtle beachs, and quality to boot. So for $30, half the price of the turtle beach x1's, you have a pair of quality headphones with mic. So explain to me why you would recommend turtle beach headsets, when they cost a least double and are of significantly lesser quality? Who's doing the misleading now (no question marked need for this).

Quote:

No, the Ear Force models are not 5.1 multi-speaker headphones. I'd work on getting basic stuff like this correct before instructing other people to read and learn.

Come again... where did i type that? I never did. I always knew that the x1-3's didn't support digital 5.1. The x4's, on the other hand are reported to support digital 5.1, but like all turtle beaches digital 5.1 offering for the PC, they will most assuredly be the multi-speaker type, of which doesn't even support Dolby Digital, or of course Dolby Headphone. All i said is the x1-3's are POS. Looks like YOU need to take your own advice, along with mine, and read before you type.

Quote:

Again, they should read the previous body of posts before they just blurt out stuff. Then they'd realize what was the main topic of discussion, along with their questions already being answered. Laziness should not be defended.

post #741 of 10626 Old 01-06-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:

KBI

All you need to do is buy a zalman clip mic for under $10, clip it on to your headphone cable, set you 360 voice output to speaker, and you are good to go. I can hear people and they can hear me just fine. Problem solved, and no need for inferior gaming headsets.

Plus while wireless is convenient, the quality compared to a wired pair of headphones at the same price is lacking. I had a pair of Pioneer wireless infrared headphones that went with the 800C receiver. And while they were comfortable and very nice, the sound quality is bested by a pair of Senn 555's.

post #742 of 10626 Old 01-07-2008, 07:41 PM

As some others, I stumbled upon this thread looking for info on the Tritton AX360 headphones. And I have, too, been discouraged to get that set.

I'm looking for headphones that will be used primarily for gaming and movie watching on my Xbox 360. I know that they will be also used for music once I step into that world, too.

The Astro A40's really caught my attention (specially the mixamp), but shipping to Puerto Rico by UPS is so high ($40 for the set) that it puts them out of my range.

So after reading through this thread (and thanks to the info posted by KBI), I'm thinking of going the headphones/JVC SU-DH1/mic route, but I'm undecided between the following:

- Sennheiser HD-555 + JVC (Amazon)
- Audio Technica AD700 + JVC (AudioCubes)

I'd rather order them from the same place. As for the JVC, the battery model wouldn't really be a problem since I have quite a few rechargeable batteries around.

Here in PR there is no place that I know of where I can go and test some comparable headphones, except maybe some Sony's, so that makes my decision even more difficult.

Anyone have first hand experience with the AD700? I have only read good things about the HD-555, but apparently not too many people have the other one.

Suggestions are welcome.
post #743 of 10626 Old 01-07-2008, 08:54 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseraul View Post

As some others, I stumbled upon this thread looking for info on the Tritton AX360 headphones. And I have, too, been discouraged to get that set.

I'm looking for headphones that will be used primarily for gaming and movie watching on my Xbox 360. I know that they will be also used for music once I step into that world, too.

The Astro A40's really caught my attention (specially the mixamp), but shipping to Puerto Rico by UPS is so high ($40 for the set) that it puts them out of my range.

So after reading through this thread (and thanks to the info posted by KBI), I'm thinking of going the headphones/JVC SU-DH1/mic route, but I'm undecided between the following:

- Sennheiser HD-555 + JVC (Amazon)
- Audio Technica AD700 + JVC (AudioCubes)

I'd rather order them from the same place. As for the JVC, the battery model wouldn't really be a problem since I have quite a few rechargeable batteries around.

Here in PR there is no place that I know of where I can go and test some comparable headphones, except maybe some Sony's, so that makes my decision even more difficult.

Anyone have first hand experience with the AD700? I have only read good things about the HD-555, but apparently not too many people have the other one.

Suggestions are welcome.

I'd only recommend the Trittons if the user wants a all in one package made for the 360, & 5.1 over SQ.. I still don't think they are bad cans.. But for the price you can do much better..

It seems like the Majority favor the AD700 over the 555.. Theres also a nice review on the 700 on a gaming website.. Reviewer was extremely impressed & said they are in another league compared to the Steel V5.. I will try to find the review & get a link..

post #744 of 10626 Old 01-08-2008, 03:57 AM

I`ve been following this thread for a while.I had some cheap Sony, headphones for a couple of years.I went looking for some better models,seems most places just carry earbuds.My nephew works at Musician`s Friend,he said they carry all the major players.I checked out their website,he was right.I picked up a set of HD485`s.What a difference they made.Iselect headphone surround on my Pio 84.I find myself useing these,even when I can use my speakers.Hell,I`m thinking about exchanging the 485`s,for some 555`s.Anyway check out the website,theres 10 pages of headphones.Thanks for the help with improving my gaming expereince.
post #745 of 10626 Old 01-08-2008, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI View Post

I'd only recommend the Trittons if the user wants a all in one package made for the 360, & 5.1 over SQ.. I still don't think they are bad cans.. But for the price you can do much better..

It seems like the Majority favor the AD700 over the 555.. Theres also a nice review on the 700 on a gaming website.. Reviewer was extremely impressed & said they are in another league compared to the Steel V5.. I will try to find the review & get a link..

Exactly my point... if I'm going to spend money in order to get better sound quality, might as well spend more for a setup that will last me quite longer and that will have other uses now and in the future.

I think I read the review you refer to: FPS AD700 Review It's basically the only comprehensive one I've read and it compares them to the HD-555s.
post #746 of 10626 Old 01-08-2008, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 140
good review, now I wonder if I want the 700s instead of 555 or 595....

I was confused by the end of the review - pros/cons & rating. They don't match up to the rest of the review. He lists comfort as a con, when it was a big plus throughout the text of the review. Is that comments for a different headset accidently tacked on?

XBOX Live: Ell Dudereno
post #747 of 10626 Old 01-08-2008, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I have tried many of the solutions including the Turtle Bay stuff and the JVC surround processor. My personal conclusion is just to use Stereo out with a set of good headphones and take the 360 headset and put it around my neck with the mic pointed up near my mouth. Then you just set the voice to over the speakers. This seems to do the best with directionality and location while maintaining very good sound quality. I wish I saved all the money spent on some of this stuff considering I already owned everything I am using now before I started this voyage.
post #748 of 10626 Old 01-08-2008, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYFOOTBALLGIANTS View Post

I have tried many of the solutions including the Turtle Bay stuff and the JVC surround processor. My personal conclusion is just to use Stereo out with a set of good headphones and take the 360 headset and put it around my neck with the mic pointed up near my mouth. Then you just set the voice to over the speakers. This seems to do the best with directionality and location while maintaining very good sound quality. I wish I saved all the money spent on some of this stuff considering I already owned everything I am using now before I started this voyage.

That is precisely what I did and it works great for me. With the advice from someone in this thread, I bought the Sennheiser HD201 for $19.99.

By the way, good luck against the Cowboys. What is your score prediction?

post #749 of 10626 Old 01-08-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:

My personal conclusion is just to use Stereo out with a set of good headphones and take the 360 headset and put it around my neck with the mic pointed up near my mouth. Then you just set the voice to over the speakers.

I know this setup works and have read of many people that use it. I will sure give it a try when I purchase my headphones.

The only disadvantage I find with this setup is that you can't turn down the voice volume quickly or mute it when I get a call or something. Unfortunate, since I don't have enough friends to play full games with and so many people yell an curse online. That's why I want to go with an ear bud.
post #750 of 10626 Old 01-08-2008, 09:40 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

I have been doing that with a cheap pair of Sony's over the ear ($20) and they work great with games like Bioshock and Mass Effect. But when I tried to play online with the voice set to over speakers I could barely hear anyone talking. I checked the volume and It was set to 10. I guess I gotta try playing with a few more of the settings, it did get better when I set the xbox to output in Digital Stereo instead of DD 5.1 but still in COD4 I couldn't really hear anyone talking.

This has worked surprisingly very well to me. I guess I gotta mess with my receiver settings and see If I can find a better setting for the voice.

Gamertag: x klem x
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page