Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodedSoldier View Post

Well while reading up on headphones tonight i came across this microphone

http://www.schooloutfitters.com/cata...cts_id/PRO3843

Not bad (all that is needed is a 2.5mm mono adapter). A good alternative to the zalman mic.

Check my profile for headphones and headphone amps...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 10626 Old 01-18-2008, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Picked up the 555's today. Just listening to some music right now with them. So far so good. Alot better than the 515's i have that i need to send in for repair and will sell off. Next week i'll pick up the jvc adaptor. But i really want to try the Beyer 770's pro's but the only place i can get them locally is guitarcenter which has them for over 200 bucks.
post #813 of 10626 Old 01-19-2008, 02:50 AM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Picked up the 555's today. Just listening to some music right now with them. So far so good. Alot better than the 515's i have that i need to send in for repair and will sell off. Next week i'll pick up the jvc adaptor. But i really want to try the Beyer 770's pro's but the only place i can get them locally is guitarcenter which has them for over 200 bucks.

You can get then for 150.00 if you look hard enough.. Those are the 03 version.. I hear they have a bit more bass then the revised 05 770's, but the new 770's are more refined, especially in the midrange which is pretty recessed in the 03 model.. The 05 version is also harder to drive at 250 ohms & cost 270.00 new.. Street value..

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #814 of 10626 Old 01-19-2008, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah i saw them on ebay for around 150.00 but the thing is i want to get them from a local retailer so i can try them out and if i don't like them i can return them or i would of got them from ebay. Even bhphoto has them for ever 200. I'm running out of local places.
post #815 of 10626 Old 01-19-2008, 01:36 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah i saw them on ebay for around 150.00 but the thing is i want to get them from a local retailer so i can try them out and if i don't like them i can return them or i would of got them from ebay. Even bhphoto has them for ever 200. I'm running out of local places.

yeah..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #816 of 10626 Old 01-19-2008, 09:58 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

You could always try haggling... I didn't even try haggling and the dude sold me the headphones with a 2 year warranty for 200 (guitar center).

XBL: II Masters II

(those are ii's)
post #817 of 10626 Old 01-20-2008, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterrh View Post

You could always try haggling... I didn't even try haggling and the dude sold me the headphones with a 2 year warranty for 200 (guitar center).

Ahhh i didn't know they would drop the price. Hmmmm Guess i'll have to head down there on tuesday and see what i can do. Thanks
post #818 of 10626 Old 01-20-2008, 03:19 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ahhh i didn't know they would drop the price. Hmmmm Guess i'll have to head down there on tuesday and see what i can do. Thanks

AC has opened a store in NY.. If you are in the area check it out.. Audio Cubes. The 900 limited edition TI is only 429.00

post #819 of 10626 Old 01-20-2008, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI View Post

AC has opened a store in NY.. If you are in the area check it out.. Audio Cubes. The 900 limited edition TI is only 429.00

Yeah i've been there. I went looking for the japanese version of the jvc box but they didn't have it. I only work a few blocks from it. I have a post somewhere in this thread about a page or 2 back saying i've been there. Nice little store. They had the technica 700 airs in there. Man they are huge.
post #820 of 10626 Old 01-20-2008, 06:57 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah i've been there. I went looking for the japanese version of the jvc box but they didn't have it. I only work a few blocks from it. I have a post somewhere in this thread about a page or 2 back saying i've been there. Nice little store. They had the technica 700 airs in there. Man they are huge.

Lucky. I wish there was one in CA..

post #821 of 10626 Old 01-21-2008, 10:17 AM

Hi all:

First, thanks for all the great advice and reviews. I am looking to make a headphone plunge, mostly for playing games after my 18 month old is in bed. However, I also want to use them music and movies on occasion, and I want a pair to grow old with. My headphone collection currently consists of a 10-ish year old pair of Grado SR-225s, which I use at work plugged into an old portable cd player (would a headphone amp be worth looking into for this setup?), a pair of iGrados that I use with my iPod when working outside (mowing lawn mostly), and a pair of Etymotic ER-6is that I use when flying.

I'm pretty into music. For my home stereo rig, I recently got a Krell KAV-400xi Integrated amp that I use with an older Pro-ject turntable and Bellari phono stage, along with an older pair of NHT 2.5is. This might not be the best matched combo of stuff in the world because I usually just get one nice upgrade for this system every 5-10 years. The reason I mention this setup is to convey that I appreciate good stereo sound and when compared to my home theater setup, this stereo system is my priority. I also would like to use any set of cans I get with this system as well as with gaming/movies.

Regarding my home theater/gaming setup, I have a Denon AVR-3803 (no Dolby Headphone :-() that drives a set of 6 Paradigm in-wall speakers, along with a Paradigm sub. My 360 is connected to the 3803 via the optical-out of the 360. In the next year or so I plan on getting a PS3 as well - mostly for the blu-ray drive because I can't bring myself to buy regular DVDs anymore. I play a lot of Rock Band, all the Guitar Hero games and decent FPS games (CoD4, Halo3, Bioshock). I play online sometimes, but not that often, so I figure I will do the clip-on thing at some point, but it is not a priority.

So there is the background, now onto a set of questions I'm hoping one or more of you might be able to help out with.

1. I am interested in the JVC surround sound Dolby Headphone adapter, but not really sure how to hook it up. My 3803 does have an optical out, however; the manual (typical crappy Denon manual) implies the optical out only passes out 2-channel audio. If I were to hook the JVC to this optical out, I assume I would only be getting stereo and thus not inputting all 5.1 channels to the JVC and therefore the JVC would not be able to create simulated 5.1 sound for the headphones, correct? In other words, does the JVC need 5.1 input in order to work correctly?
2. Assuming I can't use the optical out on my 3803, I would then need to hook the optical out from the 360 to the JVC. But then when I want to use my speakers, I would need to swap the cable - a big pain. I know there was a mention in this thread of using an optical splitter to solve this issue, but I have read elsewhere that they don't always work. Anyone actually use one of these with success? I'm surprised more people don't have this general issue.
3. If I were to add a PS3 to the mix, or for that matter, just use my DVD player, how would I feed the JVC with multiple sources? Would I need to pull the cable out from my receiver from the other component (DVD, PS3, or whatever), and then plug it into the JVC? Or perhaps an optical switcher of some sort?
4. Now, onto the actual Headphones. Based on all I have read in the thread and elsewhere (thanks again for everyone's thoughts) I have narrowed it down to a group of cans that I realize vary quite a bit. I'm thinking HD595, DT880, AD700, or AD900. The DT880s are on the list due to statements that they provide the best SS, however, I worry about the statements that they are not very musical due to them being a bit too accurate (but you will notice I have a Krell integrated and I preferred it to a Mcintosh when I choose to buy it), and the need to also get an amp for them. The HD595 are on the list because they seem pretty popular, and gamers seem to dig them. The AD700s are on the list because they seem like a great value for how well reviewed they are. The AD900s are on the list to counter the DT880 because they are similar in price and performance, and sounds like they don't need an amp. I've also gathered they are more musical than the DT880s (but I can't really pinpoint why I think this.) Regarding comfort, I have heard mostly good things regarding all these choices. Any advice regarding these statements?
5. My last question has to do with headphone amps. If I went with the DT880s and the JVC, would another headphone amp be required? If so, would the mini^3 be sufficient? And one more dumb question about this setup; would adding an amp to use along with the JVC just require you to turn the volume on the JVC all of the way down, run the headphone out from the JVC into the amp and then hook your cans up to the amp?

I should also mention that all the headphones I considering are open because I am really jumpy, like when my wife comes over and taps on my shoulder and scares the hell out of me when I'm playing a game over the speakers. I figure a closed headphone would make this problem even worse than an open one will.

I do not believe that most of these questions have been answered, and my apologies if they have been and I missed them.

Thanks again.
post #822 of 10626 Old 01-21-2008, 01:50 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman9 View Post

Hi all:

First, thanks for all the great advice and reviews. I am looking to make a headphone plunge, mostly for playing games after my 18 month old is in bed. However, I also want to use them music and movies on occasion, and I want a pair to grow old with. My headphone collection currently consists of a 10-ish year old pair of Grado SR-225s, which I use at work plugged into an old portable cd player (would a headphone amp be worth looking into for this setup?), a pair of iGrados that I use with my iPod when working outside (mowing lawn mostly), and a pair of Etymotic ER-6is that I use when flying.

I’m pretty into music. For my home stereo rig, I recently got a Krell KAV-400xi Integrated amp that I use with an older Pro-ject turntable and Bellari phono stage, along with an older pair of NHT 2.5is. This might not be the best matched combo of stuff in the world because I usually just get one nice upgrade for this system every 5-10 years. The reason I mention this setup is to convey that I appreciate good stereo sound and when compared to my home theater setup, this stereo system is my priority. I also would like to use any set of cans I get with this system as well as with gaming/movies.

Regarding my home theater/gaming setup, I have a Denon AVR-3803 (no Dolby Headphone :-() that drives a set of 6 Paradigm in-wall speakers, along with a Paradigm sub. My 360 is connected to the 3803 via the optical-out of the 360. In the next year or so I plan on getting a PS3 as well – mostly for the blu-ray drive because I can’t bring myself to buy regular DVDs anymore. I play a lot of Rock Band, all the Guitar Hero games and decent FPS games (CoD4, Halo3, Bioshock). I play online sometimes, but not that often, so I figure I will do the clip-on thing at some point, but it is not a priority.

So there is the background, now onto a set of questions I’m hoping one or more of you might be able to help out with.

1. I am interested in the JVC surround sound Dolby Headphone adapter, but not really sure how to hook it up. My 3803 does have an optical out, however; the manual (typical crappy Denon manual) implies the optical out only passes out 2-channel audio. If I were to hook the JVC to this optical out, I assume I would only be getting stereo and thus not inputting all 5.1 channels to the JVC and therefore the JVC would not be able to create simulated 5.1 sound for the headphones, correct? In other words, does the JVC need 5.1 input in order to work correctly?
2. Assuming I can’t use the optical out on my 3803, I would then need to hook the optical out from the 360 to the JVC. But then when I want to use my speakers, I would need to swap the cable – a big pain. I know there was a mention in this thread of using an optical splitter to solve this issue, but I have read elsewhere that they don’t always work. Anyone actually use one of these with success? I’m surprised more people don’t have this general issue.
3. If I were to add a PS3 to the mix, or for that matter, just use my DVD player, how would I feed the JVC with multiple sources? Would I need to pull the cable out from my receiver from the other component (DVD, PS3, or whatever), and then plug it into the JVC? Or perhaps an optical switcher of some sort?
4. Now, onto the actual Headphones. Based on all I have read in the thread and elsewhere (thanks again for everyone’s thoughts) I have narrowed it down to a group of cans that I realize vary quite a bit. I’m thinking HD595, DT880, AD700, or AD900. The DT880s are on the list due to statements that they provide the best SS, however, I worry about the statements that they are not very musical due to them being a bit too accurate (but you will notice I have a Krell integrated and I preferred it to a Mcintosh when I choose to buy it), and the need to also get an amp for them. The HD595 are on the list because they seem pretty popular, and gamers seem to dig them. The AD700s are on the list because they seem like a great value for how well reviewed they are. The AD900s are on the list to counter the DT880 because they are similar in price and performance, and sounds like they don’t need an amp. I’ve also gathered they are more musical than the DT880s (but I can’t really pinpoint why I think this.) Regarding comfort, I have heard mostly good things regarding all these choices. Any advice regarding these statements?
5. My last question has to do with headphone amps. If I went with the DT880s and the JVC, would another headphone amp be required? If so, would the mini^3 be sufficient? And one more dumb question about this setup; would adding an amp to use along with the JVC just require you to turn the volume on the JVC all of the way down, run the headphone out from the JVC into the amp and then hook your cans up to the amp?

I should also mention that all the headphones I considering are open because I am really jumpy, like when my wife comes over and taps on my shoulder and scares the hell out of me when I’m playing a game over the speakers. I figure a closed headphone would make this problem even worse than an open one will.

I do not believe that most of these questions have been answered, and my apologies if they have been and I missed them.

Thanks again.

1/2 JVC needs a optical connection to get 5.1 DD.. Best solution would be to hook up your JV to the 360 & use headphones, since the JVC 5.1 was meant more as a portable device then home device. I'd actualy recommend the mixamp wich does the same as the JVC but has more inputs & functions, supports USB so keep it plugged into your 360 to keep it charged. Was made for the 360 as well...

3. Splitter most likley..

4. The DT880's are the best for gaming from my experience.. I own/owned several hi end headphones.. & the DT880's out of head presentation & 3D imaging is fantastic.. They are hard to drive at 250 ohms, but many use it with their sound card & still enjoy the sound.. I'm using it with my DAC1 which has a built in headphone amp that compares with 300.00 dedicated headphone amps on the market. To me the DT880 sound lifeless with music, but thats my opinion. The 900's everyone is talking about is the closed model.. They have a open model 990 which cost like 25.00 more.. & open headphones give you a wider Soundstage..

post #823 of 10626 Old 01-21-2008, 06:24 PM

Thanks for the quick response, KBI.

Read about the mixamp on this thread, but forgot about it. I think I put it out of my mind because their website states they won't be shipping any product until March.

Based on another couple of hours or reading reviews on headfi, I have taken the HD595s off the list because it sounds to me like people are digging the AD700s more than the HD595s and the AD700s are cheaper (approx. $100 on newegg.)

I'm confused on your statement regarding the AD900s. I have been seeing plenty of stuff out there on the open AD900 (I realize the A900 is the closed version. They are listing for 250 on audiocubes. Are these the ones you are referring to as the model 990?

Back to the DT880s. Do you think the mixamp's amp will drive them properly? How about the headphone jack of my Denon 3803 for stereo while I wait for the mixamp? The AD900s eliminate this worry because it sounds to me like they don't need to be amped unless you are pretty into tweaking them. It also sounds like a tube amp is the wasy to go with the DT880s (my Bellari phono stage is tube, and it has has a headphone jack - I wonder how it would handle the DT880s...)

Thanks again.
post #824 of 10626 Old 01-21-2008, 06:58 PM

I got my AD700s last week, along with the JVC SU-DH1. It's my first purchase of quality headphones, so I have nothing to compare them to, but suffice to say that I am amazed at what I had been missing! Yes, they are big, but they are even bigger in comfort.

I've only used the JVC unit with stereo (waiting on the optical cable), but that alone is so good, I can't imagine how 5.1 will sound. The DH modes make a significant difference even in stereo, which I didn't expect.

After giving them a quick try with music, I decided to play Xbox for a while. I put on the headphones, switched to the DH2 setting and then had the voice routed to the speakers. On the Halo 3 lobby, a friend joined and he began talking. I took off the headphones because I thought the speakers were on. Right then and there, I knew what a great purchase I had made.

Now, to wait for that optical cable...

BTW, Thanks to everyone that has contributed to this thread! It's a great read, lots of useful info, and it helped me a lot in getting a good set of headphones.
post #825 of 10626 Old 01-21-2008, 07:56 PM

Don't count out the AKG K501s and K601s. They are excellent for gaming. The 5 best headphones in the $250 and under category that i'd recommend for gaming and movies, are:

1) AKG 601

1) Beyerdynamic DT880s - 2006 version

2) AKG 501

3) *Audio Technica ATH AD-900

4) *Audio Technica ATH AD-700

*Don't confuse the Audio Technica's with the A-900 and A-700 (those are closed cans, and not as good imo)

post #826 of 10626 Old 01-21-2008, 08:21 PM

Thanks for the list, Foe-hammer, and thanks to joseraul for your impressions of the AD700s.

So, Foe-hammer, does your list change if you add music to the mix? I listen to mostly indie rock, if that matters...

The more I look into this, the more it seems like the decision comes down to if I want to amp my headphones or not. Assuming the mixamp fulfills these duties when gaming, I still need to worry about it when listening to music. Seems like if I want to go the amp route, the AKG 601 (or 701) or the DT880s are the way to go. But it sure is tempting to perhaps sacrifice some SQ to avoid the amp issue altogether and just go with the AD700s or AD900s. After all, I have a new cd player, a new turntable and cartridge also on the upgrade list and I'm not sure a headphone amp will get on there anytime soon.

Thanks.
post #827 of 10626 Old 01-21-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the list, Foe-hammer, and thanks to joseraul for your impressions of the AD700s.

So, Foe-hammer, does your list change if you add music to the mix? I listen to mostly indie rock, if that matters...

The more I look into this, the more it seems like the decision comes down to if I want to amp my headphones or not. Assuming the mixamp fulfills these duties when gaming, I still need to worry about it when listening to music. Seems like if I want to go the amp route, the AKG 601 (or 701) or the DT880s are the way to go. But it sure is tempting to perhaps sacrifice some SQ to avoid the amp issue altogether and just go with the AD700s or AD900s. After all, I have a new cd player, a new turntable and cartridge also on the upgrade list and I'm not sure a headphone amp will get on there anytime soon.

Thanks.

The Beyer 880s and the AKGs are hard to drive headphones. So i'd think that a separate headphone amp would be necessary to go along with the astro mixamp, for the headphones to reach their full potential.

I have the Rockhopper mini^3 portable amp that i use along with my Pioneer 800C Dolby Headphone receiver. You cannot beat the price for $125 shipped.

For music also, i'd go with the AKG 601's or Beyer 880s. Both are good for Metal/Hardrock and classical, imo.

post #828 of 10626 Old 01-21-2008, 10:28 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the quick response, KBI.

Read about the mixamp on this thread, but forgot about it. I think I put it out of my mind because their website states they won't be shipping any product until March.

Based on another couple of hours or reading reviews on headfi, I have taken the HD595s off the list because it sounds to me like people are digging the AD700s more than the HD595s and the AD700s are cheaper (approx. $100 on newegg.)

I'm confused on your statement regarding the AD900s. I have been seeing plenty of stuff out there on the open AD900 (I realize the A900 is the closed version. They are listing for 250 on audiocubes. Are these the ones you are referring to as the model 990?

Back to the DT880s. Do you think the mixamp's amp will drive them properly? How about the headphone jack of my Denon 3803 for stereo while I wait for the mixamp? The AD900s eliminate this worry because it sounds to me like they don't need to be amped unless you are pretty into tweaking them. It also sounds like a tube amp is the wasy to go with the DT880s (my Bellari phono stage is tube, and it has has a headphone jack - I wonder how it would handle the DT880s...)

Thanks again.

I emailed Astro gaming about the the drivability of the 880's with the Mix amp.. He said something like the 250 ohms are too hard to drive it properly.. I'm assuming it will sound good but not sound its best.. Theres also a amp/DAC in the JVC aswell.. So that might present the same type of problem.. If you tink that will be a problem, just go with the 900's.. & 40 ohms they are easy to drive.. Any device made for headphones have a amp.. But & yes, I was talking about the open 900's.. But oddly enough people who use them for gaming prefer the closed model over the open model.. Thats the 900 thats getting all the praise of being the nest headphone for gaming..

You can check my blog by clicking the link in my sig. I broke down the best gaming headphones based on price to performance wit 3 price categories..

post #829 of 10626 Old 01-21-2008, 10:30 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foe-hammer View Post

Don't count out the AKG K501s and K601s. They are excellent for gaming. The 5 best headphones in the $250 and under category that i'd recommend for gaming and movies, are:

1) AKG 601

1) Beyerdynamic DT880s - 2006 version

2) AKG 501

3) *Audio Technica ATH AD-900

4) *Audio Technica ATH AD-700

*Don't confuse the Audio Technica's with the A-900 and A-700 (those are closed cans, and not as good imo)

The 501's are a great deal.. Can be had for around 100.00. Must buy used since they are discontinued.. Some say it has a deeper Soundstage then the 701's.. Which is should.. It was tuned for classical..

post #830 of 10626 Old 01-21-2008, 11:12 PM
Advanced Member

Hmmmm jr has some akg's i might have to listen to those. They didn't have any on display to listen.
post #831 of 10626 Old 01-22-2008, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI View Post

...I was talking about the open 900's.. But oddly enough people who use them for gaming prefer the closed model over the open model.. Thats the 900 thats getting all the praise of being the nest headphone for gaming..

Or it could be because the A900s are a lot less expensive then the AD900s.

post #832 of 10626 Old 01-22-2008, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I have a practically brand new JVC Surround Sound Headphone Adaptor SUDH1 for sale. The reason I'm selling is because I picked up an audio processor with DH built-in. I also have an extra toslink-mini toslink cable that I can include. PM for details.
post #833 of 10626 Old 01-22-2008, 01:44 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foe-hammer View Post

Or it could be because the A900s are a lot less expensive then the AD900s.

True.. I'm sure the AT5000 would be great for gaming, but how many gamers would spend 800 on headphones..

post #834 of 10626 Old 01-22-2008, 03:50 PM

The AD900 looks like it $240 shipped from audiocubes (through amazon) and the A900 is $210. Not much of a difference in my mind.

I don't know which is better for gaming, but I think the decision is going to be up to my wife. Would she rather try and talk to me and I don't respond at all (she hates that), or would she rather listen to the sound leaked out of open cans.

I'm still deciding between going amped with the DT880s (or maybe the 601s - 701s have a pretty big price hike) or unamped with the AD900 (or maybe A900). I am leaning towards the unamped options because there is a pretty significant cost jump when the amp is included.

I did preorder the mixamp - supposed to ship late March. I am going this route mainly just to avoid the JVC battery issue, and also like the coax input along with the mic related features. Seemed worth the extra $40 for these things when compared to the JVC. I figure I can suffer a while using whatever headphones I get in stereo.
post #835 of 10626 Old 01-22-2008, 04:07 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The AD900 looks like it $240 shipped from audiocubes (through amazon) and the A900 is $210. Not much of a difference in my mind.

I don't know which is better for gaming, but I think the decision is going to be up to my wife. Would she rather try and talk to me and I don't respond at all (she hates that), or would she rather listen to the sound leaked out of open cans.

I'm still deciding between going amped with the DT880s (or maybe the 601s - 701s have a pretty big price hike) or unamped with the AD900 (or maybe A900). I am leaning towards the unamped options because there is a pretty significant cost jump when the amp is included.

I did preorder the mixamp - supposed to ship late March. I am going this route mainly just to avoid the JVC battery issue, and also like the coax input along with the mic related features. Seemed worth the extra $40 for these things when compared to the JVC. I figure I can suffer a while using whatever headphones I get in stereo.

I think you will be pleased either route you take..

post #836 of 10626 Old 01-23-2008, 08:39 AM

i'm i need of some headphones and i don't mind spending the extra $$ for a good set of headphones. there are soo many options and much to learn. let me start out by asking about the headphone amps. i'm guessing they are only required for high impedeance units. is this correct? also i've read about the jVC Su-DH1 unit is this what you all are calling the mixamp? are there any other "mixamps" out there that you all would recommend. I will be using the phones for mainly playing and getting on xbox live
post #837 of 10626 Old 01-23-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmansr View Post

i'm i need of some headphones and i don't mind spending the extra $$ for a good set of headphones. there are soo many options and much to learn. let me start out by asking about the headphone amps. i'm guessing they are only required for high impedeance units. is this correct? also i've read about the jVC Su-DH1 unit is this what you all are calling the mixamp? are there any other "mixamps" out there that you all would recommend. I will be using the phones for mainly playing and getting on xbox live

The Astro MixAmp and the JVC are two separate receivers. The Astro mixamp is the best option for solely xbl, because of the way they separate and mix the live chat with the game's sound.

A dedicated headphone amp attaches to the 1/8" line out jack of the MixAmp or the JVC unit, then from there you'd attach your headphones to the headphone amp. A headphone amp is only necessary for high impedance headphones, but will make any headphones sound better.

post #838 of 10626 Old 01-23-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:

I didn't know that they were that close in price now. They used to be $80 in difference.

post #839 of 10626 Old 01-23-2008, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 140
My AD700s arrived last week, and they are fantastic. Nice spatial imaging even without DH.

XBOX Live: Ell Dudereno
post #840 of 10626 Old 01-23-2008, 01:41 PM

Well, I decided that my budget could not handle getting into the heaphone amp game, so I ordered the AD900 from audiocubes (through amazon). I decided on them instead of the A900 mostly based on advise in this thread and reviews on head-fi (a few people thought they were better for music than the A900s.) I'll let you all know what I think when I get them, but I won't have surround until my mixamp gets shipped late march.

Another dumb question about the mixamp. It will work for movies too, right? I assume that I could just hook up any 'ole 5.1 digital source to it and it will work, right?
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page