What gaming headphones to buy? - Page 302 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9031 of 10626 Old 07-02-2010, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Still debating. I dunno if I should go ahead and pick up the Astro A30 Headset... or, just put that money aside for my Buffallo Dac or DacMagic. I realize that I don't really have an Amp or anything to go with it, but that's 1 more thing off my list for my stand-alone setup (as I think I'm pretty much set with...and happy with) my PC side/desktop listening station.

Oh yea... was watching some Fall Out Boy on YouTube... think I might have to order some of their CDs... along with Pink Martini!

I'm not with the Crazies, They just like to stand next to me!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9032 of 10626 Old 07-02-2010, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by SID3W8Z View Post

Still debating. I dunno if I should go ahead and pick up the Astro A30 Headset... or, just put that money aside for my Buffallo Dac or DacMagic. I realize that I don't really have an Amp or anything to go with it, but that's 1 more thing off my list for my stand-alone setup (as I think I'm pretty much set with...and happy with) my PC side/desktop listening station.

Oh yea... was watching some Fall Out Boy on YouTube... think I might have to order some of their CDs... along with Pink Martini!

How did you avoid hearing Fall Out Boy? lol. They were EVERYWHERE for awhile. I didn't include them on my list to you 'cause I just assumed you'd have heard lots of 'em.

I say don't bother with the A30. What do you need it for anyway?

Read. Think. Post. In that order, preferably

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
post #9033 of 10626 Old 07-02-2010, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbexperience View Post

How did you avoid hearing Fall Out Boy? lol. They were EVERYWHERE for awhile. I didn't include them on my list to you 'cause I just assumed you'd have heard lots of 'em.

I say don't bother with the A30. What do you need it for anyway?

I heard of them (like 1 song)... but I really wasn't into music that much before getting into headphones. I was way back in the day... but I don't count that... as the stuff I listened to then... isn't that good now (or you really have to be in the mood to listen to them).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9034 of 10626 Old 07-02-2010, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't need an amp with the buffalo!

SXRD/Oppo/Yamaha/Klipsch
PS3/PSN: pj_rage
360/Live: pjrage82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan
Dude please, your list of toys is so long its like Santa is your dad lol.
post #9035 of 10626 Old 07-02-2010, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ_Rage View Post

Don't need an amp with the buffalo!

Yes, but with no Soldering iron and no DIY skills... I'm kinda limited to only DACs that I can purchase. I've also been told to look at the Peachtree Audio Nova. It seems to be a nice DAC/Amp/Integrated Amp. Not sure though, as I haven't done any real research.

post #9036 of 10626 Old 07-02-2010, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, but with no Soldering iron and no DIY skills... I'm kinda limited to only DACs that I can purchase. I've also been told to look at the Peachtree Audio Nova. It seems to be a nice DAC/Amp/Integrated Amp. Not sure though, as I haven't done any real research.

That peachtree combo is supposed to be awesome!

So is SWZ shut down for now without your soldering iron?

SXRD/Oppo/Yamaha/Klipsch
PS3/PSN: pj_rage
360/Live: pjrage82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan
Dude please, your list of toys is so long its like Santa is your dad lol.
post #9037 of 10626 Old 07-02-2010, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ_Rage View Post

That peachtree combo is supposed to be awesome!

So is SWZ shut down for now without your soldering iron?

Nah, if someone was interested in a cable or something... I'd run down to Sears or my local 'lectronics boutique and pic one up.

post #9038 of 10626 Old 07-02-2010, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

This thread is getting too slow!

So I have been leaving the Fuze w/ a headphone out splitter to burn in both my K701 and CAL! with pink noise. I have the E5 powering the K701, while I put the inline volume control on the CAL to lower the volume (as the Fuze is almost maxed to drive the K701 loud enough with the E5 maxed).
I'd say they are near 100 hours of total pink noise burn in. By this time tomorrow, they will definitely be well over 100 hours.

Been that way for a few days, and today I rented the new Transformer 3rd person shooter and Singularity (fps). The K701 is showing some improvement in bass. Seriously, though they are bright, the bass is definitely balanced and a lot more impactful than the AD700s.

The CAL is also coming along. They sound brighter than I remember a few days ago. I'll chalk it up to their clarity coming out a little bit more.

CAL haters are crazy.

post #9039 of 10626 Old 07-02-2010, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin CZ View Post

This thread is getting too slow!

So I have been leaving the Fuze w/ a headphone out splitter to burn in both my K701 and CAL! with pink noise. I have the E5 powering the K701, while I put the inline volume control on the CAL to lower the volume (as the Fuze is almost maxed to drive the K701 loud enough with the E5 maxed).
I'd say they are near 100 hours of total pink noise burn in. By this time tomorrow, they will definitely be well over 100 hours.

Been that way for a few days, and today I rented the new Transformer 3rd person shooter and Singularity (fps). The K701 is showing some improvement in bass. Seriously, though they are bright, the bass is definitely balanced and a lot more impactful than the AD700s.

The CAL is also coming along. They sound brighter than I remember a few days ago. I'll chalk it up to their clarity coming out a little bit more.

CAL haters are crazy.

I hate the CAL!

...and I agree, very slow to update lately. O'well... we always have 'Head-Fi'.

post #9040 of 10626 Old 07-03-2010, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm.... maybe this will work for now.. I'll sell my uDac and then put that and everything else towards a Buffalo Dac build or a Peachtree Nova (or even iDecco).

post #9041 of 10626 Old 07-03-2010, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Finally got my Fiio E7! I won't give it a proper asessment until the replacement LOD arrives. Until then I can only test it out with headphone outs, and the DAC with my girl's laptop.

edit: I figured I'm at work with nothing to do so I said what the hell and tested the E7 with my phone's headphone out. It made it painfully obvious how cold the phone's internal amp was. The phone could drive my ES7 fairly loud and bassy, but you could hear how thin it sounds compared to the E7 without any bass boost eq. The E7 smoothened out the entire spectrum, giving the sound a thick body to it. Much more alive. It made it apparent to me that the E7 also runs on the warm side, and I have a feeling it will work surprisingly well with the K70x. It won't be something like what the K70x really needs, but I like the K70x with the E5 so I'm sure the E7 will be even better.

The Bass Boost has 3 levels. I feel that level 1 sounds best, as it gives it enough bass emphasis without it being intrusive. Kinda reminds me of the M50s sig. Balanced with a little bass emphasis.

Level 2 reminds me of the E5's bass boost. Powerful, but can tend to muddy up the sound as a whole. I find this useless compared to Level 1 and the much better as a bass beast Level 3.

Level 3 is kind of an mysterious setting. MOST DEFINITELY not just a bass boost. It sounds like a gain boost across the entire frequency, bringing out the lows, mids, and highs. Definitely MUCH better than Level 2, but I doubt most audiophiles will use this setting. The bass is thunderous, but since everything is jacked up, nothing sounds muddy, just heavily EQ'd all around. I like level 3 when I want to feel the bass, but Level 1 gets the job done for practically all music. Usually the first thing that goes is the mids in a bass boost EQ, not so with E7's level 1 and 3.

post #9042 of 10626 Old 07-04-2010, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Finally got my Fiio E7! I won't give it a proper asessment until the replacement LOD arrives. Until then I can only test it out with headphone outs, and the DAC with my girl's laptop.

edit: I figured I'm at work with nothing to do so I said what the hell and tested the E7 with my phone's headphone out. It made it painfully obvious how cold the phone's internal amp was. The phone could drive my ES7 fairly loud and bassy, but you could hear how thin it sounds compared to the E7 without any bass boost eq. The E7 smoothened out the entire spectrum, giving the sound a thick body to it. Much more alive. It made it apparent to me that the E7 also runs on the warm side, and I have a feeling it will work surprisingly well with the K70x. It won't be something like what the K70x really needs, but I like the K70x with the E5 so I'm sure the E7 will be even better.

The Bass Boost has 3 levels. I feel that level 1 sounds best, as it gives it enough bass emphasis without it being intrusive. Kinda reminds me of the M50s sig. Balanced with a little bass emphasis.

Level 2 reminds me of the E5's bass boost. Powerful, but can tend to muddy up the sound as a whole. I find this useless compared to Level 1 and the much better as a bass beast Level 3.

Level 3 is kind of an mysterious setting. MOST DEFINITELY not just a bass boost. It sounds like a gain boost across the entire frequency, bringing out the lows, mids, and highs. Definitely MUCH better than Level 2, but I doubt most audiophiles will use this setting. The bass is thunderous, but since everything is jacked up, nothing sounds muddy, just heavily EQ'd all around. I like level 3 when I want to feel the bass, but Level 1 gets the job done for practically all music. Usually the first thing that goes is the mids in a bass boost EQ, not so with E7's level 1 and 3.

Sounds nice! Have you tried the E7 out of a Computer yet? Wonder how things will sound with it as a DAC/HeadAmp on your music... even if it's 128k files and not lossless.

post #9043 of 10626 Old 07-04-2010, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey hey, most of my files are 192 kbps and above, so there!

Haven't tested the DAC yet. Well I DID, but with the Siberias for like 1 minute. My girl is on the laptop, so I'll have to do it tomorrow.

BTW, notice a sweet thing about it. It has a run timer, so I can leave my two main headphones burning in and I'll know exactly how long, though I'm already at like 125 hours anyway.

One thing that is a HUGE surprise, the E5 is NOTICABLY louder with the HPO than the E7, so those who want the E7 as a dedicated amp NEEDS to invest in an LOD, as it is underwhelming in pure volume compared to the E5 with HPO. Well, the E7 is still better due to it's versatility and Various Bass Boosts (omg the K701 is quite a well balanced bassy can with Bass Boost 3!), but not worth the premium over the E5 as just an HPO amp.

Pretty much a well known thing about the E7, but I see that it's true. They say with an LOD, the E7 can be incredibly loud compared to HPO, so I'm more than happy so far.

post #9044 of 10626 Old 07-04-2010, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey hey, most of my files are 192 kbps and above, so there!

Haven't tested the DAC yet. Well I DID, but with the Siberias for like 1 minute. My girl is on the laptop, so I'll have to do it tomorrow.

BTW, notice a sweet thing about it. It has a run timer, so I can leave my two main headphones burning in and I'll know exactly how long, though I'm already at like 125 hours anyway.

One thing that is a HUGE surprise, the E5 is NOTICABLY louder with the HPO than the E7, so those who want the E7 as a dedicated amp NEEDS to invest in an LOD, as it is underwhelming in pure volume compared to the E5 with HPO. Well, the E7 is still better due to it's versatility and Various Bass Boosts (omg the K701 is quite a well balanced bassy can with Bass Boost 3!), but not worth the premium over the E5 as just an HPO amp.

Pretty much a well known thing about the E7, but I see that it's true. They say with an LOD, the E7 can be incredibly loud compared to HPO, so I'm more than happy so far.

192kbps You go boy! I just brought home the Roots CD "How I Got Over". I haven't done much listening to it though. I like how they use REAL instruments for the most part... but it's still Rap to me. Gotta give it a listen... as I only partially listened to 2-3 tracks.

post #9045 of 10626 Old 07-04-2010, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

192 is vastly superior to 128, and from 192 to 320 I don't really notice too much of an improvement. FLAC sounds exactly the same as 320kbps to me, so I'd save up the space and just convert all my future songs to 320kbps from now on. Many, and I mean many people can't tell the diff between FLAC and 320, and I'm one of them. I'm not one to just get FLAC just because it's better on paper. If I can't hear the difference, it's of no use to me. 192kbps has been the sweet spot for me in the past, but with my new stuff I'll up the ante with 320kbps, and nothing more.

post #9046 of 10626 Old 07-04-2010, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

192kbps You go boy! I just brought home the Roots CD "How I Got Over". I haven't done much listening to it though. I like how they use REAL instruments for the most part... but it's still Rap to me. Gotta give it a listen... as I only partially listened to 2-3 tracks.

I'd mock him, but I can't really say anything. The stuff I've converted from CD is pretty much all 256k and the rest is Amazon downloads, which are variable but they claim they try to keep it around 256.

I've honestly not noticed a difference with lossless either. Then again, I haven't tested it with any good headphones, i.e. the K702.

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
post #9047 of 10626 Old 07-04-2010, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd be lying to say that I could hear the difference between all 320kbps files and their lossless counterparts... but I'd be foolish to tell you that I'd be willing to risk loosing any detail by going 320kbps over lossless when I haven't picked up my HD800, T1, or whatever headphone and my Uber awesome Amp and Dac. I might not hear the difference now, but what about then? I also want to be able to convert back to CD without losing any detail if necessary (I don't have CDs for ALL my music... just most). ...but it's all preference just like everything else.

post #9048 of 10626 Old 07-04-2010, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I doubt I'd ever pick up an HD800, T1, K1000, LCD-2, or any incredibly expensive headphone in the future. I MIGHT at some point pick up the best possible closed headphone in the <$400 range (probably a Premium DT770/600ohm or K271MkII/K272 HD), or an HD650 (since they seem to be having good deals on them lately)... I'm sure 320kbps would sound great on these.

post #9049 of 10626 Old 07-04-2010, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

BAH! Get on Live so I can shoot you with my new 'Running Sniper' Class!

post #9050 of 10626 Old 07-04-2010, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

What, an Intervention with SoH? Bah, overused.

I have been waiting on my Slim 360 for over 2 weeks. I don't have a 360 atm. Rented on the PS3 though.

post #9051 of 10626 Old 07-04-2010, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BAH! Get on Live so I can shoot you with my new 'Running Sniper' Class!

I just got home from 4th festivities. I'm gonna play some AC 2, but if I see you come online again tonight I MIGHT think about letting you shoot at me.

post #9052 of 10626 Old 07-04-2010, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What, an Intervention with SoH? Bah, overused.

I have been waiting on my Slim 360 for over 2 weeks. I don't have a 360 atm. Rented on the PS3 though.

Yes, but still difficult... and I suck at it!

post #9053 of 10626 Old 07-04-2010, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I was much better at quick sniping in CoD4 with the ACOG'd M40. I was surgical with it.

I hate normal sniper scopes. I almost never use Sniper rifles in MW2. I will try quick sniping with the Intervention but I'm sure I'll hate it.

post #9054 of 10626 Old 07-06-2010, 08:09 AM

Sniping is getting so old in MW2. I was into it before with quick scoping but it got boring. Snipers are so annoying esp in SnD because they are trying to get fancy final killcams.
post #9055 of 10626 Old 07-07-2010, 12:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I'm not into flashy crap. BUT I do love to use stuff people never use, which is why i absolutely raped in CoD4 with the Skorpion. Pretty much the weakest gun in the game if you have any sort of distance (though close range was a 2 hit kill with SP, probably easier to kill than a shotgun), and I was consistently on top with it. I miss my pea shooter.

I'm pretty beastly with the PP2000, and I'd use the TMP with extended mags for SURE, but it works best with a RDS, as it's irons are pretty bad. That means I'd need Bling, and that's only two clips with extended mags. The TMP eats up ammo. The PP2000 is much more favorable, and I just use FMJ with it. Reminds me of a less jumpy CoD4 MP5.

Don't get me started on UMP 45 noobs. Stupid gun kills like an AR at long distance, and like a freaking tank at close range. not to mention is incredibly long clip. That's a BS weapon if I've ever seen one. Funny how people online rely on it like a crutch. Totally replaced the M16 and FAMAS lately.

post #9056 of 10626 Old 07-07-2010, 07:51 PM

Yeah I have to say I'm a guilty user of the ump but not often. I generally run the ak with rd or holo or a burst like the m16. If I'm playing on a crappy team that gives up a lot of air support I'll run around with a silenced ump cold blood and marathon. I will usually get a bunch of buzz kills lol
post #9057 of 10626 Old 07-07-2010, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosaj03 View Post

Yeah I have to say I'm a guilty user of the ump but not often. I generally run the ak with rd or holo or a burst like the m16. If I'm playing on a crappy team that gives up a lot of air support I'll run around with a silenced ump cold blood and marathon. I will usually get a bunch of buzz kills lol

Sounds like me when I'm not running around with the Sniper trying to not suck at it. What's your XBL name. Then we can throw you an invite when we're on. I usually play with BB & PJ from here... and a few others.

post #9058 of 10626 Old 07-07-2010, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Me, my absolute fave weapon to destroy people with is Akimbo'd USP.45. Run with it with SoH and SP, and commence the raping. People HAAAATE it, because it may as well be a Shotgun that reloads in an instant and shoots for like 3 seconds. It's freaking murder at close range. Love to use Last Stand with it as well in restricted maps like Karachi. I will almost always kill you with if I go Last Stand as I'm already shooting you with my pistols. You do get like a moment of invincibility as you go to Last Stand. That moment is all I need.

Pretty much all you can do to NOT die in close range against Akimbo USPs and Last Stand users is to get a headshot off or have the retarded Commando perk and knife from 10 yards...

On topic, I have nearly 200 hours of burn in on my K701 and CAL.

I have been using the CAL a lot while playing MW2 on the PS3.

post #9059 of 10626 Old 07-07-2010, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Me, my absolute fave weapon to destroy people with is Akimbo'd USP.45. Run with it with SoH and SP, and commence the raping. People HAAAATE it, because it may as well be a Shotgun that reloads in an instant and shoots for like 3 seconds. It's freaking murder at close range. Love to use Last Stand with it as well in restricted maps like Karachi. I will almost always kill you with if I go Last Stand as I'm already shooting you with my pistols. You do get like a moment of invincibility as you go to Last Stand. That moment is all I need.

Pretty much all you can do to NOT die in close range against Akimbo USPs and Last Stand users is to get a headshot off or have the retarded Commando perk and knife from 10 yards...

On topic, I have nearly 200 hours of burn in on my K701 and CAL.

I have been using the CAL a lot while playing MW2 on the PS3.

So, straight up... CAL or M50?

post #9060 of 10626 Old 07-07-2010, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmm, for gaming, the CAL without a doubt. They both get positioning down, both have the bass that adds immersion to gaming without it being too powerful (770 Pro 80), but the CAL has definitely more soundstage depth and width.

For music, I'd say the M50s just have that fun factor, aggresiveness and sparkliness to the treble that makes them so highly regarded for the price. The CAL is also fun, but definitely smoother, and more polite and relaxed. The comfort of the CAL can't be touched IMHO, from all the closed headphones I have used. Hours into gaming with them, I only have to let the heat out of the pads like once every 2 hours. They are comfy like crazy.

The CAL is also lighter, smaller, and easier on the head...

Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page