What gaming headphones to buy? - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 10626 Old 02-01-2008, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Pioneer SE-DIR800C make a great pair of wireless infrared headphones. It supports DD, DTS, Pro logic, and Dolby Headphone. You can get them for $250.

The only problem is, the headphones broke on me after 1.5yrs. It snapped just above the left can, at the rotating joint.

Check my profile for headphones and headphone amps...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 10626 Old 02-08-2008, 03:04 PM

Hey guys, a bit off topic, but have a quick question.

In terms of getting surround sound into my headset on PC, how would I go about doing this?

#1, I have the stock on-board sound card with digital audio out via an rca jack (no optical)

So what exactly will I need?
I read great things in this thread about the Senn 555s with the JVC SUDH1..however is that used for my PC as well, or is the JVC adapter for xbox 360 only?

Also, for those that got the Tritton AX360, can I plug it in to my digital audio out rca plug in my computer, or will I need a new sound card that gives optical out?

Thanks!
post #903 of 10626 Old 02-08-2008, 03:58 PM
A.C
Advanced Member

The JVC processor has two inputs:

1. 3.5mm (female) mini-optical
2. 3.5mm (male) stereo

You need input #1 to use Dolby Headphone technology... however you can use input #2 to get Dolby Pro-Logic. I think your difficulty will be converting your digital RCA into digital optical. It can be done... but I'm not sure how cheaply.

XBL: HiFi Buckeye
PSN: hifibuckeye
post #904 of 10626 Old 02-08-2008, 04:24 PM

Actually, I may be wrong, as it is not the standard rca jack. I may have used the wrong term.

My digital audio output is a standard output on the back of my PC. Thing is, I don't know if it's 3.5mm or not as my knowlege in this field is limited.
post #905 of 10626 Old 02-08-2008, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heineken77 View Post

Hey guys, a bit off topic, but have a quick question.

In terms of getting surround sound into my headset on PC, how would I go about doing this?

#1, I have the stock on-board sound card with digital audio out via an rca jack (no optical)

So what exactly will I need?
I read great things in this thread about the Senn 555s with the JVC SUDH1..however is that used for my PC as well, or is the JVC adapter for xbox 360 only?

Also, for those that got the Tritton AX360, can I plug it in to my digital audio out rca plug in my computer, or will I need a new sound card that gives optical out?

Thanks!

Don't get the craptastic trittons, or any other multi-driver 5.1 gaming HEADSET.

Get anything that has DOLBY HEADPHONE TECHNOLOGY in it. Dolby headphone is the best 5.1 headphone option. With Dolby headphone, you can use any pair of headphones to get 5.1. There are PC sound cards that have dolby headphone built into them.

post #906 of 10626 Old 02-08-2008, 04:37 PM

I have read some reviews regarding IR technology and from what I read its line of sight only is this true with the Pioneers? I have my equipment behind the wall as I'm using a projector and wanted to keep it clean, so I'm wondering if I'm going to have issues with that, and it would be a expensive issue to have.
post #907 of 10626 Old 02-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

I just ordered the turtle beach x2's. What should i be expecting for 35 bucks?
post #908 of 10626 Old 02-08-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolt View Post

You get what you pay for...

But for $35, that's not too bad.

post #909 of 10626 Old 02-08-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmxsoulja3 View Post

I have read some reviews regarding IR technology and from what I read its line of sight only is this true with the Pioneers? I have my equipment behind the wall as I'm using a projector and wanted to keep it clean, so I'm wondering if I'm going to have issues with that, and it would be a expensive issue to have.

You have to been in line of sight, so behind a wall will not work.

post #910 of 10626 Old 02-08-2008, 07:53 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Depends on your previous headphone listening experience.. If you never heard a decent sounding headphone I'm sure the Tutrles will impress you..

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
post #911 of 10626 Old 02-08-2008, 11:01 PM
Advanced Member

The best headphones i've had is my 11 dollar sonys.
post #912 of 10626 Old 02-09-2008, 09:48 AM

Alright, so I've been reading over the past 10ish pages of this very helpful thread, and i think I'm about ready to get all my system all set up, but i have a few questions and opinions to ask first.
This setup will mainly (99%) be used for xbox and xbl, and i think i've narrowed my headphone search down to the AKG 601's or the beyer DT880's. What are your guys' opinions on the pros and cons of each?
Also, i know that they are hard to drive, but me being a headset newbie, i dont know what kind of amp i should be looking for. And i will also be preordering the mixamp, based on its high recommendations. Is there anything else i am missing? thanks for putting up with me
post #913 of 10626 Old 02-09-2008, 01:47 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The best headphones i've had is my 11 dollar sonys.

Then the Turtles should be a nice upgrade..

post #914 of 10626 Old 02-09-2008, 01:59 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icysoul556 View Post

Alright, so I've been reading over the past 10ish pages of this very helpful thread, and i think I'm about ready to get all my system all set up, but i have a few questions and opinions to ask first.
This setup will mainly (99%) be used for xbox and xbl, and i think i've narrowed my headphone search down to the AKG 601's or the beyer DT880's. What are your guys' opinions on the pros and cons of each?
Also, i know that they are hard to drive, but me being a headset newbie, i dont know what kind of amp i should be looking for. And i will also be preordering the mixamp, based on its high recommendations. Is there anything else i am missing? thanks for putting up with me

The 880's are more reference then the 601's, & are technically superior in regards to detail.. Both have a large sound stage. The DT880's are a bit analytical, & has a treble spike which some don't like.. The bass isn't big, but it has a lot of weight & has a great bass slam/impact.. Very authoritative. The 880's has a out of head presentation that gives the illusion that sound is coming from space & the walls instead of the headphones.. Still not as good as with 5.1 DD, but for stereo cans they are impressive. my reference for this would be Halflife episode 2.. remarkable. The 601's will probably sound more fun & pleasing to your ear.. & they geared to colorize the sound them being a true reference headphone.. For casual gameplay I'd go with the 601's.. For competitve gameplay I'd go with the 880's. (05 model if possible)

The DT880's at 250 ohms are hard to drive.. I can listen to my DT880's with my DAC1's amp turned all the way without a lot of discomfort & ringing.. Still a bit loud, but nothing ear shattering like some amps that drive them better..

post #915 of 10626 Old 02-09-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:

This setup will mainly (99%) be used for xbox and xbl, and i think i've narrowed my headphone search down to the AKG 601's or the beyer DT880's. What are your guys' opinions on the pros and cons of each? Also, i know that they are hard to drive, but me being a headset newbie, i dont know what kind of amp i should be looking for. And i will also be preordering the mixamp, based on its high recommendations. Is there anything else i am missing? thanks for putting up with me

I agree with what KBI said. All though, i think the K601s have arguably better mids, and louder bass. Also, the k601s are just as hard to drive as the 880s, despite them being only 120ohms. I like the 601s ear pads better then the 880s - larger and more comfortable, but i like the 880s head band much better - more comfortable, and stays put. Both the AKG 601s and 701s need a lot of juice, despite their deceivingly low ohms.

And you'll need a separate headphone amp, in conjunction with the Astro MixAmp to get the most out of the 601s or 880s. Not completely necessary, but highly recommended. Without a dedicated headphone amp, you'll get distortion during heavy bass or other loud sounds. Plus a good amp really adds to the richness of the sound. The best amp for the money, imo, is the Rockhopper mini^3 for $125 new shipped. You won't find anything better for cheaper. I just bought mine 1 month ago, and after 50 hrs of burn-in, the amp sounds great. But now the upgrade bug has already bitten me, and i'm thinking about getting a CI Audio VHP-2 desktop headphone amp for $400 - mainly for music. If i decide to go that route, i'll sell my Rockhopper amp to you for a very good deal, if you're interested.

post #916 of 10626 Old 02-10-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foe-hammer View Post

I agree with what KBI said. All though, i think the K601s have arguably better mids, and louder bass. Also, the k601s are just as hard to drive as the 880s, despite them being only 120ohms. I like the 601s ear pads better then the 880s - larger and more comfortable, but i like the 880s head band much better - more comfortable, and stays put. Both the AKG 601s and 701s need a lot of juice, despite their deceivingly low ohms.

And you'll need a separate headphone amp, in conjunction with the Astro MixAmp to get the most out of the 601s or 880s. Not completely necessary, but highly recommended. Without a dedicated headphone amp, you'll get distortion during heavy bass or other loud sounds. Plus a good amp really adds to the richness of the sound. The best amp for the money, imo, is the Rockhopper mini^3 for $125 new shipped. You won't find anything better for cheaper. I just bought mine 1 month ago, and after 50 hrs of burn-in, the amp sounds great. But now the upgrade bug has already bitten me, and i'm thinking about getting a CI Audio VHP-2 desktop headphone amp for $400 - mainly for music. If i decide to go that route, i'll sell my Rockhopper amp to you for a very good deal, if you're interested.

That would be awesome, seeing as i was looking for amps online and only found ones around $1k (i must've been looking in the wrong place) Do you think the rockhopper would be enough to drive the 880's as well, assuming you use it for the k601 now?
Also, I'm looking to see if either/both headphones support 5.1 DD and all those other features that everyone says make the sounds that much more amazing, but i can't seem to find a definitive answer anywhere...any help? Also, i don't have the $$ for an AVR, so that's out of the question.
Thanks for the help guys, I'm still new to the whole audio scene.
post #917 of 10626 Old 02-10-2008, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
any 2ch headphone will support dolby headphone. you just need a source to feed dolby headphone to the k601/dt880. and of course, with those cans you'll need an amp, you can get an amp, and a dolby headphone device like the JVC, or consider the astro gaming mixamp, which is a dolby headphone capable mixer, and amp in one.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #918 of 10626 Old 02-10-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd View Post

any 2ch headphone will support dolby headphone. you just need a source to feed dolby headphone to the k601/dt880. and of course, with those cans you'll need an amp, you can get an amp, and a dolby headphone device like the JVC, or consider the astro gaming mixamp, which is a dolby headphone capable mixer, and amp in one.

Good to hear that, answers that question. So if i have this right....i will run an optical cable from the X360 elite's audio connector to the mixamp, then that with (?) connection to, say, the mini^3 amp, which i'll plug the headphones into? and until i can get the mixamp/amp, since they both seem to be on back order, would there be a way to use the headphones with just the 360 and tv until they came? also, ive heard a lot about the Zalman mic for xbl use, im assuming that goes straight into the mixamp as well? thanks!
post #919 of 10626 Old 02-10-2008, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

you'd just have to use an adapter from headphone to rca if you wanted to pull audio directly from the 360 before you get a mixamp

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
post #920 of 10626 Old 02-10-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:

you'd just have to use an adapter from headphone to rca if you wanted to pull audio directly from the 360 before you get a mixamp

haha, so anyone have any good mRCA->f3.5mm adapters to recommend? (assuming thats what i need, the way i figure)
post #921 of 10626 Old 02-10-2008, 12:56 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foe-hammer View Post

The VHP-2 is excellent.. I had the VHP-1 & is a great value.. I sold it to help cover my BADA12 tube amp.. But still have regrets on selling it.. Mine was 350.00 last yr.. The dedicated PS is well worth it too.. Really brings the bass to a new level IMO.. plus dynamics..

post #922 of 10626 Old 02-10-2008, 01:00 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To safe proof the investment, you can buy a mixamp or the JVC & get a good portable amp with a line out to bypass the internal amp in the Mixamp.. Sounds difficult, but its very easy.. So you'd get better amplification to drive your headphones plus get the 5.1 DD effects..

post #923 of 10626 Old 02-10-2008, 01:05 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good to hear that, answers that question. So if i have this right....i will run an optical cable from the X360 elite's audio connector to the mixamp, then that with (?) connection to, say, the mini^3 amp, which i'll plug the headphones into? and until i can get the mixamp/amp, since they both seem to be on back order, would there be a way to use the headphones with just the 360 and tv until they came? also, ive heard a lot about the Zalman mic for xbl use, im assuming that goes straight into the mixamp as well? thanks!

All portables have a line out.. All you need is a mini to mini audio cable 1/8 to 1/8.. Connect one side into the line out of the ^3, & the other end into the mixamp.. Using a 1/4 headphone jack adapter. Then plug your headphones into the headphone jack in the ^3.. Volume will be controlled through the ^3..

post #924 of 10626 Old 02-10-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:

That would be awesome, seeing as i was looking for amps online and only found ones around $1k (i must've been looking in the wrong place) Do you think the rockhopper would be enough to drive the 880's as well, assuming you use it for the k601 now?
Also, I'm looking to see if either/both headphones support 5.1 DD and all those other features that everyone says make the sounds that much more amazing, but i can't seem to find a definitive answer anywhere...any help? Also, i don't have the $$ for an AVR, so that's out of the question.
Thanks for the help guys, I'm still new to the whole audio scene.

The Rockhopper Mini^3 amp drives the 880s with no problem. In conjunction with my Dolby Headphone receiver (receivers volume is turned up to the 1 o'clock mark), i turn up the mini^3 volume level between 12 to 2 o'clock... and that is pretty loud. And i still have plenty of volume left.

You'll need a Dolby Headphone decoder (Astro MixAmp, or JVC unit) for 5.1 surround, and a separate Headphone amp (Rockhopper Mini^3) to go along with the 880s or 601s to get the most out of these headphones.

And as mentioned previously, any pair of headphones will give Dolby 5.1 surround when hooked up to a Dolby Headphone receiver. Just stay away from the Multi-driver (speaker) 5.1 headphones. They don't use Dolby Headphone Technology, so they require their specific headphones with the inferior, small multi-speakers. Thereby, you cannot use a quality pair of stereo headphones (880s, 601s) with them.

post #925 of 10626 Old 02-11-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:

Like someone said here, you get what you pay for...IMO return them dont even open it, i bought the x3 couple months ago and they were abosulutely horrific, i am no audiophile but i can still tell the difference between good and bad sound quality.....

looking to order the sennheiser hd 555(going back to wired) aside from amazon and ebay, where do you guys recommend to get these? trying to find the cheapest price possible...

XBL Gamertag - phear m3h
post #926 of 10626 Old 02-11-2008, 11:23 AM

KBI or Foe-hammer,

I am now stuck on choosing between the senn 555 and 595, is there any noticeable difference between the two?

XBL Gamertag - phear m3h
post #927 of 10626 Old 02-11-2008, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rss329 View Post

Like someone said here, you get what you pay for...IMO return them dont even open it, i bought the x3 couple months ago and they were abosulutely horrific, i am no audiophile but i can still tell the difference between good and bad sound quality.....

looking to order the sennheiser hd 555(going back to wired) aside from amazon and ebay, where do you guys recommend to get these? trying to find the cheapest price possible...

Can't return them, bought them on ebay. Ugh.. Back to square 1. Its not like a have a bunch of cash, what can you guys recommend?
post #928 of 10626 Old 02-11-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:

Can't return them, bought them on ebay. Ugh.. Back to square 1. Its not like a have a bunch of cash, what can you guys recommend?

after reading thousands of reviews on 555 and 595 i pulled the trigger on the 595s almost double the price, but i am hoping to use these for years anyways...

revolt i was in your situation, didnt want to spend a whole lot on headphones but after buying 3 cheap ones and returning them all literally the day after i decided to spend a lil more....."and get what I pay for" hopefully these 595s will do the job...

XBL Gamertag - phear m3h
post #929 of 10626 Old 02-11-2008, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

i think with the 595's at almost double the price, the AD700's would be a better choice IMO

post #930 of 10626 Old 02-11-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:

i think with the 595's at almost double the price, the AD700's would be a better choice IMO

dam really, I guess ill try them both out and keep the one i like...80 dollars cheaper...thanks.

XBL Gamertag - phear m3h
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page