What gaming headphones to buy? - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 10626 Old 04-09-2008, 03:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys. I have been reading through the majority of this thread and I would like some clarification. I am going to buy a 5.1 Adaptor (either the JVC or the Astro Mixamp). Which one would be the better choice? I would like good sound positioning and also, I don't want to deal with batteries. I also like to hear the other people on my team speak on Live (every little bit of info helps in a match of COD4).
They are both about the same price so I just want the better one for my needs.

Now for the Headphone deal. I have around a 120 dollar budget for the headphones. I was eyein the HD555 and the HD595s, but I have also seen recommendations for the AD900/AD700's. Which is better for my budget? I want good tight bass because I'm only going to game with these headphones. If I get any of the aforementioned sets, will I need an amp? Does an amp increase sound quality noticably? Thank you soo much for your help.

Also, if I had a friend over, would I be able to plug in a pair of headphones so we both could listen?

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 10626 Old 04-09-2008, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have the JVC 5.1 adapter and 555s and they sound great to me. I use a toslink to mini-toslink cable to connect the Xbox cable to the JVC, and still keep the component cables hooked up to the tv and the tv will still play the sound. I play mainly driving games (Forza 2, Burnout) and Oblivion, and I also watch a lot of movies. Originally the purpose of the headphones was for late night use, but I now prefer the headphones for gameplay at all times of the day. I haven't used the mixamp or other headphones, so I can't really give an accurate comparison. By the way, I got my JVC on ebay for $50+8 for shipping. Hope this helps.
post #1083 of 10626 Old 04-10-2008, 09:16 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tml05 View Post

Hi guys. I have been reading through the majority of this thread and I would like some clarification. I am going to buy a 5.1 Adaptor (either the JVC or the Astro Mixamp). Which one would be the better choice? I would like good sound positioning and also, I don't want to deal with batteries. I also like to hear the other people on my team speak on Live (every little bit of info helps in a match of COD4).
They are both about the same price so I just want the better one for my needs.

Now for the Headphone deal. I have around a 120 dollar budget for the headphones. I was eyein the HD555 and the HD595s, but I have also seen recommendations for the AD900/AD700's. Which is better for my budget? I want good tight bass because I'm only going to game with these headphones. If I get any of the aforementioned sets, will I need an amp? Does an amp increase sound quality noticably? Thank you soo much for your help.

Also, if I had a friend over, would I be able to plug in a pair of headphones so we both could listen?

Thanks again.

Mix amp is the way to go.. It was made for gaming.. You can use a USB cable to play & charge at the same time. It also offers a mute function, & other goodies. I doubt it has two headphone jacks though.. The majority favor the AD700 over the 555.. The AD700 seems to have taking over the gaming community. Every board I go too, it's all you hear about.

will I need an amp? Does an amp increase sound quality noticably? Actually, the Mix amp is a amp.. I have no idea how good it is.. But with low OHM headphones it's much easier to get them to sound the best, without buying a headphone amp.. Although they still will sound better with a dedicated headphone amp, but how much depends on your ears & bank account.

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
post #1084 of 10626 Old 04-11-2008, 09:35 AM

Liked: 13
After owing the Turtle Beach X3's for a month or two. I decided it was time to upgraded to a new receiver and headphone package. I purchased a Harmon Kardon AV347 with the Dolby Headphone and the Senn 555's, based on the good things I've read here on this board.

I have to say that I am blown away at how great they sound, many times I am looking around the room thinking that something is there or someone is talking to me!

Thanks to everyone here, especially KBI for providing solid informative information!

Gamertag: x klem x
post #1085 of 10626 Old 04-11-2008, 11:00 AM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robklem View Post

After owing the Turtle Beach X3's for a month or two. I decided it was time to upgraded to a new receiver and headphone package. I purchased a Harmon Kardon AV347 with the Dolby Headphone and the Senn 555's, based on the good things I've read here on this board.

I have to say that I am blown away at how great they sound, many times I am looking around the room thinking that something is there or someone is talking to me!

Thanks to everyone here, especially KBI for providing solid informative information!

You are more then welcome.. Welcome to the Hi Fi club..

post #1086 of 10626 Old 04-11-2008, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

The only the problem is the Mix Amp has been sold out for awhile. You have to preorder for shipment sometime late this month. I assume they'll quit allowing preorders if they fill their max amount available.

I want my HDTV!
XBL: FNruthless
post #1087 of 10626 Old 04-11-2008, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonov12 View Post

The only the problem is the Mix Amp has been sold out for awhile. You have to preorder for shipment sometime late this month. I assume they'll quit allowing preorders if they fill their max amount available.

yea, and as far as i know, nobody has one... hell i havent even been able to find a review, and aside from kbi's praise (when he hasnt touched one) i havent seen anything about it.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #1088 of 10626 Old 04-12-2008, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Well, I preordered one so when I get it (hopefully this month sometime) I'll let you know how it fairs. I have been looking for one for the past couple months and couldn't find one either. The only reviews I can find are on the astrogaming site.

I want my HDTV!
post #1089 of 10626 Old 04-12-2008, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

I just checked the site and it was updated with a ship date of 4/22 for preorders.

I want my HDTV!
post #1090 of 10626 Old 04-12-2008, 09:52 AM

Anybody know what type of AC adapter that can be used with the JVC surround sound adapter? I bought the japan version a few months back and I'm just now getting around to trying to use it. I don't really want to use batteries all the time so if anyone knows where to get an adapter that goes with the JVC it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
post #1091 of 10626 Old 04-12-2008, 10:30 AM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd View Post

yea, and as far as i know, nobody has one... hell i havent even been able to find a review, and aside from kbi's praise (when he hasnt touched one) i havent seen anything about it.

Actually I'm basing it off the fact of owners who have theirs, & previews I read..

post #1092 of 10626 Old 04-12-2008, 01:09 PM

Ive done some research on the MixAmp and it does look good. People that bought the package (Mixamp and Astro Headset) say that it doesn't have much bass, but that's is probabaly the fault of the headphones. I'll go ahead and preorder the Mixamp and the AD700's and see how it goes. After playing Search and Destroy on Live today, I got my butt saved a few times by a team mate's info so I see how useful the Mixamp would be over the JVC. Plus, I'll also get the Zalman mic, unless there is a better mic?

That should have me set then. Any info would be appreciated, and thanks to all the help from you guys and KBI too, who is a great asset to this forum.
post #1093 of 10626 Old 04-12-2008, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI View Post

Actually I'm basing it off the fact of owners who have theirs, & previews I read..

i wasnt trying to put you down, just simply adding to the fact that this item is like a ghost... been trying to get one for how long now? i'm about to give up and go with the JVC

Quote:

Ive done some research on the MixAmp and it does look good. People that bought the package (Mixamp and Astro Headset) say that it doesn't have much bass, but that's is probabaly the fault of the headphones. I'll go ahead and preorder the Mixamp and the AD700's and see how it goes. After playing Search and Destroy on Live today, I got my butt saved a few times by a team mate's info so I see how useful the Mixamp would be over the JVC. Plus, I'll also get the Zalman mic, unless there is a better mic?

That should have me set then. Any info would be appreciated, and thanks to all the help from you guys and KBI too, who is a great asset to this forum.

do you already have the AD700's? just so you know, they ARE excellent headphones, they are NOT very bass heavy. if bass is important to you, you'll either have to spend more money, or get a closed set of cans.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
post #1094 of 10626 Old 04-12-2008, 02:27 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i wasnt trying to put you down, just simply adding to the fact that this item is like a ghost... been trying to get one for how long now? i'm about to give up and go with the JVC

do you already have the AD700's? just so you know, they ARE excellent headphones, they are NOT very bass heavy. if bass is important to you, you'll either have to spend more money, or get a closed set of cans.

I know..

post #1095 of 10626 Old 04-12-2008, 02:33 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you.

Quote:

I just ordered the DT770's.. Th 250 OHM version.. Which I hear is a upgrade over the 80 OHM version. I bought mine new for 125.00 shipped. You can also buy used for 120.00.. This s my first quality closed headphone. I hope I like it..

post #1096 of 10626 Old 04-12-2008, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just ordered the DT770's.. Th 250 OHM version.. Which I hear is a upgrade over the 80 OHM version. I bought mine new for 125.00 shipped. You can also buy used for 120.00.. This s my first quality closed headphone. I hope I like it..

let me know what you think, i may be interested in them if the soundstage is large enough.

post #1097 of 10626 Old 04-12-2008, 05:59 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

let me know what you think, i may be interested in them if the soundstage is large enough.

Sure thing.

post #1098 of 10626 Old 04-12-2008, 10:43 PM

Quote:

Thank you.

Are they the 2005 or 2003 version? Because if they are the 2005, that is one hell of a deal. My brother just bought his 4 months ago for $250.

Check my profile for headphones and headphone amps...
post #1099 of 10626 Old 04-13-2008, 12:09 AM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foe-hammer View Post

Are they the 2005 or 2003 version? Because if they are the 2005, that is one hell of a deal. My brother just bought his 4 months ago for $250.

No.. Two reasons. 1. The bass is toned down a bit. 2. Very hard to find them below 270.00, & I'm getting a AKG vintage Sexett soon. But the 05 770's are the better out of the two. More refined, & fixes the problem areas that plagued the 03 version.. Most notably, their recessed midrange.. Theres a AKG 601 for 160 shipped. Used. I might get those too.. I'm selling tons of stuff on ebay..

Glad to see you back..

post #1100 of 10626 Old 04-16-2008, 10:22 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just got my DT770's.. These are the 250 ohm version.. Most people have the 80ohm version.. From the reciews I read the 250 ohm is a improvment over the 80 ohms.. Tighter & cleaner bass... I listened for around 20 minutes.. & the soundstage is about normal.. Maybe a bit smaller.. But the imaging is better then I thought, & is pretty precise in determining where things are located. This was based off music not gaming.. Will try them with gaming.. for 125.00 shiped they are hard to pass up IMO.. But will probably be more of a side grade then a upgrade compared to your AT's.. With the usually, The Beyers do things better then AT's & vise versa..

post #1101 of 10626 Old 04-17-2008, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
i need a 5.1 headset with integrated mic and the ability to turn up the communication feed independently. is there any headset that does that now? the turtle beach x3's aren't 5.1 and the tritton 360's are but their headset/mic blends into the sound too much and isn't controllable.
post #1102 of 10626 Old 04-17-2008, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansemerick View Post

i need a 5.1 headset with integrated mic and the ability to turn up the communication feed independently. is there any headset that does that now? the turtle beach x3's aren't 5.1 and the tritton 360's are but their headset/mic blends into the sound too much and isn't controllable.

astro gaming a40, it doesnt have a bunch of dedicated 5.1 drivers, but you'll get better surround sound than from most if not all 5.1 sets.

post #1103 of 10626 Old 04-17-2008, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Speaking of astrogaming...has anyone else preordered? They say on the site that they were sending out emails to those who preordered so that they could complete payment and have their items shipped. I haven't received any emails about it and was curious if anyone else had. Thanks

I want my HDTV!
post #1104 of 10626 Old 04-17-2008, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

wow that's pricey. i read the description but i'm still not clear if it has on-headset mic adjustment controls as well as mute. or if i'd have to get up and mess with the mix amp to quick mute.
post #1105 of 10626 Old 04-17-2008, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Not real sure about the on headset adjustments. I think they're on the mix amp itself. I have a mix amp on preorder and it's supposed to ship early next week (according to the site). Once I get it I'll give a little feedback. Seems like they sell really quickly.

I want my HDTV!
post #1106 of 10626 Old 04-17-2008, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

wow that's pricey. i read the description but i'm still not clear if it has on-headset mic adjustment controls as well as mute. or if i'd have to get up and mess with the mix amp to quick mute.

controls are on the mixamp, and the mixamp can be near you, you can adjust game volume, mic controls, and line-in (say from ipod) independantly.

they can also be chained together for latency/bandwidth free chat

post #1107 of 10626 Old 04-17-2008, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

true enough, i guess if it has to be wired anyone it won't matter where the amp is. i could set in on the coffee table when in use. that's still a bit pricey though - i'm hoping tritton comes out with new versions soon.
post #1108 of 10626 Old 04-17-2008, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

you get what you pay for

i was like you, i thought that was too much to pay.

so i bought some AT-AD700's ~120
JVC 5.1 DD/DTS adapter ~100
clip on mic ~20
an amp (cheap cmoy) ~30

and i have great quality sound, but no real mixing features, and its hard to get it where i like it.... in the end i would have been better off with the astro set.

post #1109 of 10626 Old 04-17-2008, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

what's the difference in the MLG system? just the logo?

also, how does it utilize the mic - does it have built in microsoft RF or does it still have to plug into the controller?
post #1110 of 10626 Old 04-17-2008, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

what's the difference in the MLG system? just the logo?

also, how does it utilization the mic - does it have built in microsoft RF or does it still have to plug into the controller?

mic goes from controller to mixamp, with encluded cable.

mlg edition just includes the mlg side panels for the headphones.

Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page