Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 10626 Old 09-12-2007, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ppuno View Post

Before stumbling on this thread I ordered X3 headphones from Turtle Beach which should ship next week. I hope they're good.

Yes, please, let us know. You'll be the first -I think- to report the experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 10626 Old 09-12-2007, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanjumper View Post

I am going to get the Senn 595 plus the JVC 5.1 adapter. I haven't bought the Senns yet as I am waiting for a better price. Once they're below $150, I will be in...

If and when you buy this package, please post a review... I'm on the fence right now about the JVC SU-DH1 (surround sound headphone adaptor) and I'm looking for an honest review before I take the plunge.
I do most of my gaming late at night, so headphones is the only way to go. Currently I use a cheap pair of headphones, which sound okay, but they're only in stereo. I'd really like to know just how much of a difference that JVC surround adaptor really makes...
I'm thinking of buying the SU-DH1 and using my current headphones - just for the dolby headphone simulated surround - and upgrade the headphones at a later date.
So, anyway, if you buy it, please do post a review. TIA!
post #93 of 10626 Old 09-12-2007, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlDesigns View Post

Can this headphone system Pioneer SE-DIR800C be used together with AV Receiver?

I use my Onkyo Receiver for daytime gaming on the 360 and would like to use these Pioneer SE-DIR800C late at night. Does the Pioneer SE-DIR800C have an optical output to the receiver?

or would I need some kind of Optical Toslink splitter?

Well I would use the optical out from your receiver for the Pio headphones . Some Onkyos don't have optical out like the new 605. Thats what I was doing till I sold my trusty pio elite receiver (now I am planning to upgrade to the new Pio Elite 91 which has built in surround heaphone from what I read)
But just for info the Pio Headphones in a word amazing!!!! Highly recommended.
post #94 of 10626 Old 09-12-2007, 07:49 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

Before stumbling on this thread I ordered X3 headphones from Turtle Beach which should ship next week. I hope they're good.

I'm sure you'll like them. Let us know..

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
post #95 of 10626 Old 09-12-2007, 07:51 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am going to get the Senn 595 plus the JVC 5.1 adapter. I haven't bought the Senns yet as I am waiting for a better price. Once they're below $150, I will be in...

Can't wait. I think you will really enjoy them. Lowest I seen them for new is 154.00..

post #96 of 10626 Old 09-12-2007, 07:53 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindwarper View Post

Thanks. Does the jvc have a ac power option? I don't want any battery thingies. I am thinking of a headphone power amp like this for 20$:

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-Ultr...9632778&sr=8-2

anyone have any other suggestions for a small ac powered cheap headphone amp?

Can you output sound from the 360 via usb?

Theres a supped up mcoy on ebay for 39.00.. Special sale.. Will be going up to 60.00 soon.. & is comparable to 100.00 head phone amps..

post #97 of 10626 Old 09-13-2007, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI View Post

Can't wait. I think you will really enjoy them. Lowest I seen them for new is 154.00..

I bit the bullet... Got the HD 595 for $170 (including shipping) from E bay. Now on to the JVC 5.1... Best price I have seen is $80 (buy com minus the $10 for new customer)
post #98 of 10626 Old 09-13-2007, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

could anyone named a few sub-$150 wireless headphones with bases that have optical inputs? and decent sound...

XBOX: terryb28
PSN: terryb30
post #99 of 10626 Old 09-13-2007, 10:52 AM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I bit the bullet... Got the HD 595 for $170 (including shipping) from E bay. Now on to the JVC 5.1... Best price I have seen is $80 (buy com minus the $10 for new customer)

Seen one refurbed for 70.00 at Amazon. It was the one I was looking at before balancing my headphones..

post #100 of 10626 Old 09-13-2007, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 44
KBI, (or anyone else who knows)

What is your opinion of Dolby Headphone? I am hopefully getting a new receiver, and I want to know if this feature is one I should care about. Does it work the same way as any other stand alone 5.1 decoder like the JVC box? Do you know how it compares?

Is there a list of receivers that have Dolby Headphone?

One more Q. If you hook your headphones into the receiver, then I am assuming that the receiver powers them so that there is no need to buy an amp. Is this correct?

Okay, just one more. I have the Grado SR125's. They sound wonderful, but they hurt my ears, so I am thinking of getting an additional pair for gaming and movies. So has anybody out there listened to the Grado's and the Senn's that could offer me a comparison?
post #101 of 10626 Old 09-13-2007, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 210
As far as head phone technology goes, Dolby Headphone, a licensed technology from Dolby Lab, is far better than those so-called "true 5.1" headphones. From what I read, the JVC box also support Dolby Headphone although I don't quite understand why you need a precision DC Servo motor for(according to JVC spec sheet posted by KBI)

Some receiver supports Dolby Headphone output. Some don't.
post #102 of 10626 Old 09-13-2007, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Is the decoding done in a receiver with Dolby Headphone the same or at least similar to the JVC decoder?
post #103 of 10626 Old 09-13-2007, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Decodings are all the same and easy to do. The trick with Dolby Headphone is the special processing algorithm to simulate 5.1 surround effect through regular stereo headphones.
post #104 of 10626 Old 09-13-2007, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

So using stereo headphones with a receiver with Dolby Headphone and using them with the JVC 5.1 decoder will yield the same results?

If so, then I would like to at least try to find a receiver that I liked with Dolby Headphone and then buy the Senn's.
post #105 of 10626 Old 09-13-2007, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

In theory, yes. But I have no experience with any Dolby Headphone supported receivers. I like my pioneer Dolby Headphone because it is also wireless (IR) that beats any other wireless headphones I tried in terms of sound quality, clearity and noises, Dolby or not.
post #106 of 10626 Old 09-13-2007, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

If my budget was a little bigger that is exactly what I would get. I may hold out for them yet.

I use the Medusa 5.1's from Speed-Link for my PC gaming and they are great. So I know that 5.1 headphones can sound good if done right.

I use the Grado SR125's for critical listening, but they are painful to my ears after more than 30 minutes (on ear) so I need something else (over ear) for games and movies. Now all I have to do is convince the better half that this is a necessity.
post #107 of 10626 Old 09-13-2007, 08:06 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

KBI, (or anyone else who knows)

What is your opinion of Dolby Headphone? I am hopefully getting a new receiver, and I want to know if this feature is one I should care about. Does it work the same way as any other stand alone 5.1 decoder like the JVC box? Do you know how it compares?

Is there a list of receivers that have Dolby Headphone?

One more Q. If you hook your headphones into the receiver, then I am assuming that the receiver powers them so that there is no need to buy an amp. Is this correct?

Okay, just one more. I have the Grado SR125's. They sound wonderful, but they hurt my ears, so I am thinking of getting an additional pair for gaming and movies. So has anybody out there listened to the Grado's and the Senn's that could offer me a comparison?

Dolby headphone is awesome. I know the HK 247 receiver supports DD headphones along with a few other past models. The headphone jack in the receiver powers your headphones. Yes. Some do a better job at it then others.

about the grado's.. Have you tried the grado flat pads? http://www.ttvj.com/index.php?main_p...ort=20a&page=3

This will help.

What Senn model do you want to compare to the Grado? Typically Grado's are bright, very upfront, where you are on stage with the artist.. Good with guitars, with a tight snappy bass.. Aggressive in your face presentation.. With a small sound stage..

I only tried 3 senn cans.. The 212pro/595/650.. Sold my 595 & still have the other two.. Senns in general are a total opposite of the Grado house sound, especially the 650's, which sound dark, slow, & boring incomparison. They put you 10 rows back, but have a wide sound stage with a lush seductive mid range. Very mellow & relaxing cans.. The 595's & 212pro's are more of a mixture of both, but still maintain the sen house sound.

post #108 of 10626 Old 09-13-2007, 08:13 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So using stereo headphones with a receiver with Dolby Headphone and using them with the JVC 5.1 decoder will yield the same results?

If so, then I would like to at least try to find a receiver that I liked with Dolby Headphone and then buy the Senn's.

The JVC 5.1 Adaptor supports DD 5.1.. Has a built in amp.. Just need to plug your headphones into the JVC headphone jack & the optical cable into your Audio card/Gaming console/DVD/CD player. This way is cheaper then buying a receiver that supports DD headphones. I'm looking into getting the HK receiver but the lowest price I could find was 400.00. I know JVC has a receiver that has 3D headphone support?? Or something like that for 200.00. But I prefer DD 5.1 headphone cause they are the best..

post #109 of 10626 Old 09-13-2007, 08:19 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If my budget was a little bigger that is exactly what I would get. I may hold out for them yet.

I use the Medusa 5.1's from Speed-Link for my PC gaming and they are great. So I know that 5.1 headphones can sound good if done right

I use the Grado SR125's for critical listening, but they are painful to my ears after more than 30 minutes (on ear) so I need something else (over ear) for games and movies. Now all I have to do is convince the better half that this is a necessity.

But when you use 6 or 8 subpar drivers you sacrifice SQ for the SS effects. Thats why no headphone company has put out a 5.1 headphone with 8 drivers. They know it doesn't work well. & a lot of them substitute bass for a rumble function. I used my friends Zalmans, & they are fun, far from awful.. But they have too many limitations to be my main gaming cans.. But, I'd still use them over my regular headphones for a change of pace from time to time.. I rotate all my headphones. I have 3 right now. The Sen 650/Sony SA5000/ & the 30 yr old AKG hybrid wonders the 340's..

post #110 of 10626 Old 09-13-2007, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info on Dolby Headphone. It sounds like it is an acceptable alternative to the JVC decoder.

Also thanks for the heads up on the flat pads. I had wondered if something like that was out there. I think I will get these for my Grado's. I noticed that the flat pads are $30 and the soft pads are $10 and are not suppose to be as good. But the site suggested cutting a hole the size of a quarter in the soft pads to help with the sound quality. Do you think this would be acceptable, or should I pony up the extra bucks for the flat pads?

I was going to compare the Grado's to the 555's or 595's. Don't know if I can swing the 595's though.

I am not sure which type of sound I would prefer in a headphone. I really need to try the Senn's out, but I can't find them anywhere in the Kansas City Metro area yet.

My HT system is Klipsch Reference series (dual 8" for the fronts) which is more in line with the Grados than the Senn's. What sites do you recommend for reviews?
post #111 of 10626 Old 09-13-2007, 09:33 PM

I've been exhaustively researching for a set of wireless headphones since this thread started and today I found this fair comparison.

Wireless cans reviewed

Now, in all honestly I'd prefer to buy Sennheisers 555's but, I sit far away from my larger tv. I currently own a pair of SONY MDR-V500's that have done a good job with music for the last 10years of ownership

LNT-4669F
post #112 of 10626 Old 09-13-2007, 11:03 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info on Dolby Headphone. It sounds like it is an acceptable alternative to the JVC decoder.

Also thanks for the heads up on the flat pads. I had wondered if something like that was out there. I think I will get these for my Grado's. I noticed that the flat pads are $30 and the soft pads are $10 and are not suppose to be as good. But the site suggested cutting a hole the size of a quarter in the soft pads to help with the sound quality. Do you think this would be acceptable, or should I pony up the extra bucks for the flat pads?

I was going to compare the Grado's to the 555's or 595's. Don't know if I can swing the 595's though.

I am not sure which type of sound I would prefer in a headphone. I really need to try the Senn's out, but I can't find them anywhere in the Kansas City Metro area yet.

My HT system is Klipsch Reference series (dual 8" for the fronts) which is more in line with the Grados than the Senn's. What sites do you recommend for reviews?

Yes, the quarter mod works great. Go to Grado's website they have a list of reviews for all their headphones. For Sen's I'd do a goggle..

post #113 of 10626 Old 09-13-2007, 11:09 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeasuredPath View Post

I've been exhaustively researching for a set of wireless headphones since this thread started and today I found this fair comparison.

Wireless cans reviewed

Now, in all honestly I'd prefer to buy Sennheisers 555's but, I sit far away from my larger tv. I currently own a pair of SONY MDR-V500's that have done a good job with music for the last 10years of ownership

If they are of the 5.1 variety I'd go with the Pioneer or the sony. Id go to headfi.com for non 5.1 wireless recomendations. I have no clue what wireless models are the best on the market today. I prefer wired.

post #114 of 10626 Old 09-14-2007, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Yes, please let us know.

I actually had the X2 but returned them. The sound was fantastic but you literally heard EVERY sound on the map at the same time. It was so annoying. I didn't realize how much I relied on sound while playing games.

post #115 of 10626 Old 09-14-2007, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlDesigns View Post

Can this headphone system Pioneer SE-DIR800C be used together with AV Receiver?

I use my Onkyo Receiver for daytime gaming on the 360 and would like to use these Pioneer SE-DIR800C late at night. Does the Pioneer SE-DIR800C have an optical output to the receiver?

or would I need some kind of Optical Toslink splitter?

Couldn't you just hook the Pioneer up to your Onkyo and leave it at that?

I mean, if your 360 is piped into the Onkyo during the day, you should be able to just connect the Pioneers to the receiver and listen to the 360 sound via that...right?

Doing it the way you mentioned, from the 360, to the Pioneers, to the receiver...seems awkward. You should just be able to connect the headset to the receiver and hear whatever the receiver is set to through the headphones. This way you can listen to the 360, listen to TV or movies or whatever else your receiver outputs.
post #116 of 10626 Old 09-14-2007, 08:53 AM

I've been following this thread since it started. Tons of great information on a really good subject..

and I don't think there's anything cooler than being known as the "Headphone Czar"

/tips hat
post #117 of 10626 Old 09-14-2007, 11:20 AM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by properbostonian View Post

Yes, please let us know.

I actually had the X2 but returned them. The sound was fantastic but you literally heard EVERY sound on the map at the same time. It was so annoying. I didn't realize how much I relied on sound while playing games.

Thats what you want..

post #118 of 10626 Old 09-14-2007, 06:54 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewed View Post

I've been following this thread since it started. Tons of great information on a really good subject..

and I don't think there's anything cooler than being known as the "Headphone Czar"

/tips hat

Thanks!

post #119 of 10626 Old 09-14-2007, 10:22 PM

Czar = googler extrordanaire.
post #120 of 10626 Old 09-14-2007, 10:35 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTW81 View Post

Czar = googler extrordanaire.

Not sure how to take that.. Seems like a insult. I'm very informed about headphones, & get most of my info from headfi.com.. The leading website on all things headphones.. I been a headphone junkie since june of last yr, & daily get my fixing on headphones, amps, dacs, etc.. I live for the stuff.. Think about upgrading 24/7.. If you think I just pull things out of my ass, cough google cough you are sadly mistaken.

Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page