post #1501 of 10626 Old 05-30-2008, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dertalix View Post

I already ordered it from Amazon and also got some Beyer DTX 50 SW In-Ear phones for free, due to a promotion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd View Post

FREE DTX50 in ear headphones (beyerdynamic) when you buy DT880 or DT770's from amazon... cheapest price i've found elsewhere for the DTX50 is $79

that promotion?

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 10626 Old 05-30-2008, 05:34 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by almach1 View Post

i'm looking for a working toslink/optical splitter to have my xbox and newly ordered JVC DH adapter at the same time. i ordered the splitter from mono price, and i can see light coming out of both optical outs, but my receiver will not receive any sound through it. My JVC is still in the mail.

any recommendations on a splitter to use?

bump(was last post on last page)
post #1503 of 10626 Old 05-30-2008, 05:41 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

bump(was last post on last page)

So you want to connect your headphones to your receiver instead of the JVC?

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1504 of 10626 Old 05-30-2008, 06:00 PM

i want to connect both my reciever and my JVC DH adapter at the same time to the optical out on my xbox360. this way i wouldn't have to be swapping cables at night when i can't turn up the loudspeakers.

i've been looking up other toslink splitters, and they all look like the one monoprice sells.

and my receiver does not have a toslink digital out. i'm almost thinking i should have purchased a receiver with DH built in.
post #1505 of 10626 Old 05-30-2008, 06:20 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i want to connect both my reciever and my JVC DH adapter at the same time to the optical out on my xbox360. this way i wouldn't have to be swapping cables at night when i can't turn up the loudspeakers.

i've been looking up other toslink splitters, and they all look like the one monoprice sells.

and my receiver does not have a toslink digital out. i'm almost thinking i should have purchased a receiver with DH built in.

I bought a Coax to optical converter from monoprice & it doesn't work..My H 146 has a digital coax out. So I bought BNC to coax cable, since my DAC has a BNC connection.. I did this to use my externally dac instead of the DAC in my receiver. It's not the cable. Works fine with DVD players that support coax. I did buy a BNC to coax adapter to see if that will help..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1506 of 10626 Old 05-30-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemav View Post

Or, how about a DH receiver that doesn't mute the pre-outs (or leaves it an option) with headphones connected?

I have an option for this that should work... it does however require you to spend a little extra cash. Here's my solution:

1) Buy a receiver that offers the features you need, including the HDMI inputs with switching and decoding, but ENSURE that the receiver also outputs the HDMI audio stream via TOSlink. Most receivers that offer this are multi-zone capable. It must also have pre-outs.

2) Buy the JVC SU-DH1 and a long TOSlink cable that allows you to comfortably run it from the output on your receiver to the input of the JVC adapter. This will require an adapter from standard to mini-TOSlink for the connection to the JVC unit. Ideally you will locate the JVC unit on a stable surface beside your seating position.

3) Wire your choice of tactile transducer to your sub pre-out on the receiver.

Voila! You now plug your headphones into the JVC which encodes the digital stream from DD, Dolby Pro Logic II, DTS or MPEG-2 AAC into Dolby Headphone. Turn down the volume on your receiver and the pre-out for the sub will still feed your Buttkicker! You now have both Dolby Headphone and tactile transducer with the extra HDMI capability afforded by a full AV receiver.

I haven't tested this fully as I don't have a tactile transducer on hand at the moment, nor has my extended length TOSlink cable arrived from Monoprice.

Optional: get a headphone amp and put it in series with the JVC unit so you drive your headphones with enough power. I am still amazed at how much better my JVC sounds when I run it through my headphone amp and then to my headphones.

XBox Gamertag: Shadowhwk
PSN: Shadowhwk_YYC

"The first few times fighting her, I felt as helpless as a one legged cat trying to cover turds on a frozen pond." <---- We've all been there!
post #1507 of 10626 Old 05-30-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI View Post

I bought a Coax to optical converter from monoprice & it doesn't work..My H 146 has a digital coax out. So I bought BNC to coax cable, since my DAC has a BNC connection.. I did this to use my externally dac instead of the DAC in my receiver. It's not the cable. Works fine with DVD players that support coax. I did buy a BNC to coax adapter to see if that will help..

i might have no choice but to switch the optical out cable from my xbox manually when i want to use headphones instead of my reciever.

i got two of the headphones on your ultimate gaming headphone list.

sen 595
denon d2000's
I'm using a lowley mobile Headroom Airhead for amplification.
post #1508 of 10626 Old 05-30-2008, 07:38 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i might have no choice but to switch the optical out cable from my xbox manually when i want to use headphones instead of my reciever.

i got two of the headphones on your ultimate gaming headphone list.

sen 595
denon d2000's

I'm using a lowley mobile Headroom Airhead for amplification.

I hope you like them..

post #1509 of 10626 Old 05-30-2008, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 440
I did some gaming tonight on my DT770s -- GTV-IV. Man, the detail in the audio is revealing... the subtitle little things like the directional shift and audio quality change of the radio station as you get into and out of a car... amazing.

I was surprised the JVC SU-DH1 also showed up today. I haven't received the toslink to mini-digital converter yet (probably Monday), so I have to settle for the analog mini out on the bottom of the unit going into the headphone jack on my Denon receiver. I wonder if that's the wrong way to do it because so far I haven't been too impressed with the "surround" effect -- the soundstage seemed wider, but it certainly didn't sound like a 5.1 system. The clarity is good. I think I like DH2... 3 seems very artificial at times.

I'm hoping once I go digital into the JVC its going to "wow" me with surround sound?

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming?
post #1510 of 10626 Old 05-30-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

I did some gaming tonight on my DT770s -- GTV-IV. Man, the detail in the audio is revealing... the subtitle little things like the directional shift and audio quality change of the radio station as you get into and out of a car... amazing.

I was surprised the JVC SU-DH1 also showed up today. I haven't received the toslink to mini-digital converter yet (probably Monday), so I have to settle for the analog mini out on the bottom of the unit going into the headphone jack on my Denon receiver. I wonder if that's the wrong way to do it because so far I haven't been too impressed with the "surround" effect -- the soundstage seemed wider, but it certainly didn't sound like a 5.1 system. The clarity is good. I think I like DH2... 3 seems very artificial at times.

I'm hoping once I go digital into the JVC its going to "wow" me with surround sound?

you're actually using dolby prologic with your headphone adapter. it would probably sound better in plain stereo without he JVC adapter.

I'm playing the same game(gta4) with my Sen595's plugged into my Onkyo reciever that recieves 5.1 audio from the xbox. i also switched the GTA4 sound settings to "headphone". i don't know how well the game simulates the 5.1 soundtrack into 2 headphone speakers, but it's pretty good. my reciever does NOT have Dolby headphone, so it just sends stereo to the headphone port.

I get my JVC 5.1 adapter monday, so then i'll be able to compare the in-game headphone setting to a DH 5.1 solution.

GTA sounds WAY better over headphones either way. you hear ALOT more things without turning the volume up really high.
post #1511 of 10626 Old 05-30-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Digital in makes a BIG difference. By using the analog in on the JVC you are taking a stereo source and processing it via similar algorithms that Dolby Pro Logic II use. Some stereo material sounds great when re-encoded by DPL II or Dolby Headphone, but where Dolby Headphone really shines is when you feed it a true 5.1 digital stream. I'm loving mine more and more as I play with it...

XBox Gamertag: Shadowhwk
PSN: Shadowhwk_YYC

"The first few times fighting her, I felt as helpless as a one legged cat trying to cover turds on a frozen pond." <---- We've all been there!
post #1512 of 10626 Old 05-31-2008, 06:20 AM
A.C
Advanced Member

My "wow factor" came from the transition of cheap headphones to my Senn 595's. That was waaaaaaay more impressive than upgrading to DH versus HQ stereo. For me, my JVC is nothing more than the icing on the cake.

XBL: HiFi Buckeye
PSN: hifibuckeye
post #1513 of 10626 Old 05-31-2008, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.C View Post

My "wow factor" came from the transition of cheap headphones to my Senn 595's. That was waaaaaaay more impressive than upgrading to DH versus HQ stereo. For me, my JVC is nothing more than the icing on the cake.

Not for me. Using DH with optical for games was the "wow" factor for me.

Check my profile for headphones and headphone amps...
post #1514 of 10626 Old 05-31-2008, 09:18 AM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foe-hammer View Post

Not for me. Using DH with optical for games was the "wow" factor for me.

My wow was when I heard my 650's balanced through my DAC1. Gaming wise..The DH didn't blow me away..But was a bit giddy at how easy is what to determine the location of my enemies, & the SS effects..

post #1515 of 10626 Old 05-31-2008, 01:48 PM

I found this useful:

I have both a PS3 and 360 that I use my mixamp with. If I want to play 360, I have to unplug the USB cable from the ps3 and turn the ps3 off. Then I have to connect the cable to the 360. Then I have to pull out the Optical cable from the ps3 and plug in the optical cable from the 360 into the mixamp.

Whew. It takes forever doing that. I found this:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/travelpower/9124/

You basically plug in your usb cable into that and plug that item into the wall. That way, I don't have to keep unplugging the usb out every time I switch consoles. Now I only have to find a good optical switch, and Im good.
post #1516 of 10626 Old 05-31-2008, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tml05 View Post

You basically plug in your usb cable into that and plug that item into the wall. That way, I don't have to keep unplugging the usb out every time I switch consoles.

i have a bunch of those... for ipod, gps, cellphone, basically anything that will charge off of usb, they're like 2 bucks on ebay.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
post #1517 of 10626 Old 05-31-2008, 02:10 PM

^ yeah. I got one free with some super cheap mp3 I was given as a gift. I just happened to link to that one because I was on thinkgeek and saw it.
post #1518 of 10626 Old 05-31-2008, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tml05 View Post

I found this useful:

I have both a PS3 and 360 that I use my mixamp with. If I want to play 360, I have to unplug the USB cable from the ps3 and turn the ps3 off. Then I have to connect the cable to the 360. Then I have to pull out the Optical cable from the ps3 and plug in the optical cable from the 360 into the mixamp.

Whew. It takes forever doing that. I found this:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/travelpower/9124/

You basically plug in your usb cable into that and plug that item into the wall. That way, I don't have to keep unplugging the usb out every time I switch consoles. Now I only have to find a good optical switch, and Im good.

you don't have to switch the USB - all the USB does it power it, and it should stay powering it as long as it's plugged in, and least it does with the 360. that's why controllers will still charge when the 360 is off.
post #1519 of 10626 Old 05-31-2008, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansemerick View Post

you don't have to switch the USB - all the USB does it power it, and it should stay powering it as long as it's plugged in, and least it does with the 360. that's why controllers will still charge when the 360 is off.

no, the 360 stays ON in low power mode when the controller is charging, watch the ring of light

post #1520 of 10626 Old 05-31-2008, 10:07 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Anyone listen to 2.0 uncompressed PCM on the PS3.. Gaming & BR? I heard great things about it.. & 2.0 uncompressed works fine with a optical connection. I would love to hear how a quality headphone sounds with uncompressed audio. I just sold my 360 to help cover the cost.. Not a big gamer anymore, but I wanted a BR player for HD & HD sound.

I read this:

While DD5.1 tracks for DVDs have been compressed to fit, PCM audio allows them to breathe. It's like listening to an MP3 you downloaded off Limewire & then listening to the same track on the original CD. Another comparison would be listening to a movie with earmuffs on, and PCM audio taking those muffs off, allowing you to hear subtle details like the rain pitter-pattering on the windshield, the hum of an elevator as it moves upwards...if you think I'm exaggerating, believe me, I'm not. It's incredible how much uncompressed PCM turns your room into a living, breathing environment. It's almost like going from 5.1 to 20.1.

post #1521 of 10626 Old 06-01-2008, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Anyone listen to 2.0 uncompressed PCM on the PS3.. Gaming & BR? I heard great things about it.. & 2.0 uncompressed works fine with a optical connection. I would love to hear how a quality headphone sounds with uncompressed audio. I just sold my 360 to help cover the cost.. Not a big gamer anymore, but I wanted a BR player for HD & HD sound.

I read this:

While DD5.1 tracks for DVDs have been compressed to fit, PCM audio allows them to breathe. It's like listening to an MP3 you downloaded off Limewire & then listening to the same track on the original CD. Another comparison would be listening to a movie with earmuffs on, and PCM audio taking those muffs off, allowing you to hear subtle details like the rain pitter-pattering on the windshield, the hum of an elevator as it moves upwards...if you think I'm exaggerating, believe me, I'm not. It's incredible how much uncompressed PCM turns your room into a living, breathing environment. It's almost like going from 5.1 to 20.1.

I was just about to fire up my PS3/racing sim rig on GT5:P with my Sennheiser PC350 cans and HK receiver on Dolby Headphone (like normal.) However I'll also give it a try (both with and without the Dolby Headphone mode selected) after changing the PS3 to stereo PCM output instead of DD 5.1. I'll report back on the differences I hear.

Also, about the Senn PC350 headset- I had reported that I wasn't that impressed initially. It's getting better. I think I might have expected too much of a revelation- but it's more subtle than that. But going back to the Triton 5.1 multi-driver headphones showed how much better the Senns are. I'd still like to try the Denon 2000s (or the 5000s my boss ordered, when his come in!), but I think these 350s with the headset functionality too will be just fine and I'll keep them.

KBI- do you feel your HK receiver has a strong clean output on the headphone jack or would a headphone amp be a big improvement? Also, you mentioned using DTS Neo:6 with DH? At least from my PS3 and 360 both outputtng 5.1 on optical, that is not a choice on my HK- only Dolby surround choices like DD or Dolby 2,3, or 4 speaker. DTS doesn't seem to be selectable. I was surprised there were any choices anyway with DH active- I'd think that would be the only processing available; DH on or off?
post #1522 of 10626 Old 06-01-2008, 11:17 AM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemav View Post

I was just about to fire up my PS3/racing sim rig on GT5:P with my Sennheiser PC350 cans and HK receiver on Dolby Headphone (like normal.) However I'll also give it a try (both with and without the Dolby Headphone mode selected) after changing the PS3 to stereo PCM output instead of DD 5.1. I'll report back on the differences I hear.

Also, about the Senn PC350 headset- I had reported that I wasn't that impressed initially. It's getting better. I think I might have expected too much of a revelation- but it's more subtle than that. But going back to the Triton 5.1 multi-driver headphones showed how much better the Senns are. I'd still like to try the Denon 2000s (or the 5000s my boss ordered, when his come in!), but I think these 350s with the headset functionality too will be just fine and I'll keep them.

KBI- do you feel your HK receiver has a strong clean output on the headphone jack or would a headphone amp be a big improvement? Also, you mentioned using DTS Neo:6 with DH? At least from my PS3 and 360 both outputtng 5.1 on optical, that is not a choice on my HK- only Dolby surround choices like DD or Dolby 2,3, or 4 speaker. DTS doesn't seem to be selectable. I was surprised there were any choices anyway with DH active- I'd think that would be the only processing available; DH on or off?

For DVD's DTS is available if the film supports it.. DTS 6 as well.. Go through some DVDs & look at them..

y reciever is better then I thought for driving my headphones.. Although the DAC is pretty weak.. My external DAC/combo is still much better when listening music.. But for movies & DH, it closes the gap..

post #1523 of 10626 Old 06-01-2008, 10:51 PM

Will this work if I chain them as such:
Console -> JVC SU-DH1 -> HeadRoom TotalAirhead Amp -> Senheisser 595

I am still going to get the DH effect right ?
post #1524 of 10626 Old 06-02-2008, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiun View Post

Yes.

Check my profile for headphones and headphone amps...
post #1525 of 10626 Old 06-02-2008, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

jesus, i was playing condemned 2 last night with headphones.... i'm a grown ass man... but f*ck was i scared.

post #1526 of 10626 Old 06-02-2008, 01:29 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd View Post

jesus, i was playing condemned 2 last night with headphones.... i'm a grown ass man... but f*ck was i scared.

I sold Condemed before I got my DH.. If any of you care or not, I made a 5.1 adapter for stereo headphones guide.. Still a rough draft.. Might be up today or tomorrow.. Will have the link in my sig. If you want to add to it, or think I F'ed up, send me a PM.. I'd add the corrections along with the users name..

post #1527 of 10626 Old 06-02-2008, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I sold Condemed before I got my DH..

i'm not using DH, just AD700... still amazingly scary.

i made my wife try it, she literally couldnt handle it, and she refuses to play again.

post #1528 of 10626 Old 06-02-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiun View Post

i will be having the EXACT same setup soon(waiting on jvc unit). i also have some Denon AH-d2000's to compare the best sounding setup for games.
post #1529 of 10626 Old 06-02-2008, 03:35 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

My 5.1 adapter guide is now up..

http://base.teamxbox.com/blog-post/4...06-02-2008/p1/

post #1530 of 10626 Old 06-02-2008, 04:04 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

5.1 adapter/systems for stereo headphones guide.
By: Kool Bubba Ice
03:33 PM PDT
Views: 0

What do I need?
Headphones & a 5.1 adapter. See below for some recommendations.

1. JVC SUDH1
Pros: Can be had below retail. Portable & small. Nice build quality. Supports DTS.

Cons: Eats batteries like crazy.
Not made for hard to drive headphones.

audiocubes.com jvc.com

2. Astro mix amp

Pros: Used DH next gen chip set. Nice selections of inputs including USB. Not as power hungry as the JVC. Mute function.

Cons: Must buy a retail. Sellers are limited. No DTS support.

astrogames.com

Digital 5.1 receivers

Pros: Can be used as a hub. Ample power to drive high OHM headphones. Lots of connections. No recharging.

Cons: Big & bulky. Only entry level receivers to have DH are from harman kardon & Maranazt. Expensive.
harmankardon.com marantz.com
Pioneer 5.1 headphones (no particular model.)

Pros: Can use a second headphone (wired) to get 5.1/DH. Some models support coax. Quality stereo headphone. Portable. Can be had for less then retail.

Cons: Wireless. Have to be within a certain distance for headphones to work.
Audiocubes.com

Hi end 5.1 adapters:

Beyerdynamic Gamezone: 2,000. Retail.
beyerdynamic.com
AKG Hearo 999 Audiospere II: 1,099. Retail. (450.00)
headphone.com
Audio Technica ATH DWL5000 Digital wireless headphone system: 1,149.99. Retail.
audiocubes.com

Other category:
Most, if not all 5.1 digital receivers support simulated SS through headphones. The quality varies from good to bad. Many companies use their own DSP to save money instead of going with the proven DH.
Yamaha's Silent Cinema seems to be the best out of the 'home made' DSP..But I haven't tried JVC/Sony/Denon DSP to compare. I used a Yamaha receiver for 5.1 SS with my 595's.. This was 2 yrs ago. My comparison with the DH might be a bit muddy. From what I remember Yamaha's DSP had great seperation, but lacked DH 3D & up close presentation. DH is also more spacious & is speaker like.
jvc.com sony.com. yamaha.com denon.com.

Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page