What gaming headphones to buy? - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #151 of 10626 Old 09-17-2007, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
oceanjumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaD3k View Post

So, today I have ordered the Senn 555, the JVC SS Adapter, as well as the obligatory mini optical adapter. It should all be here by Friday. I'll post impressions if anyone is interested in the Senn 555.

Yes, please post your impressions on the 555 and the JVC adapter. Once my 595 will be in -and I had some time to play with them- I'll make the decision on the 5.1 adapter. As I also have a HK AVR 635 with Dolby headphone, it would be nice to post a comparison for this board.
oceanjumper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #152 of 10626 Old 09-17-2007, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jedimastergrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,853
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I just ordered the JVC SU dh1 along with the AT 500's and I will post impressions when I can.

My question is what kind of cable I need for this thing. It has an optical digital mini jack in. The manual on the official site says that the needed cable is a digital mini plug cord and is not supplied.

Here is the official site.
http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?model...hId=135&page=1

Here is the manual.
http://resources.jvc.com/Resources/0...T0055-001A.pdf

I want to use the optical toslink out from my AVR to go the the JVC so I need some kind of toslink to digital mini plug adaptor.

I found this on monoprice.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage
Does this look right?

Is this the same thing?
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage
jedimastergrant is offline  
post #153 of 10626 Old 09-17-2007, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
oceanjumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

My question is what kind of cable I need for this thing.

I want to use the optical toslink out from my AVR to go the the JVC so I need some kind of toslink to digital mini plug adaptor.

I found this on monoprice.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage
Does this look right?

Yes, that looks like the right cable. In the past I got optical cables from Home Depot that came included with different mini adapters. Perhaps they are still available. I remember paying ~$15 per cable.

By the way, if you buy the JVC adapter, you know you don't have to use your receiver for the optical out, right? You can straight run the optical out on the XBOX 360 to the JVC adapter. Only if you want to switch sound between receiver/speakers and the headphones you run: XBOX 360 -> optical -> receiver -> optical -> JVC 5.1 -> headphones
And if your receiver does Dolby Headphone you don't need the JVC adapter. Just wanted to make sure you are aware of that...
oceanjumper is offline  
post #154 of 10626 Old 09-17-2007, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jedimastergrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,853
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I want to be able to switch btwn 360, PS3, and XA1. Hopefully, going through the receiver will let me do that. Is that right?

Yeah, I really wanted to just buy an AVR that had DH in it, but I don't think my better half is going to go for it, so I just bought this a few minutes ago.

Thanks for the info.

One more Q. It looks like the US version does not have an AC adaptor port. Someone else had already linked to this solution.
http://www.instructables.com/id/EP344SFYNKEWZMJR0F/

Any other ideas?
I am assuming that the version I bought from AudioCubes is in fact the US version.
jedimastergrant is offline  
post #155 of 10626 Old 09-17-2007, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mindwarper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,867
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am curious has anyone tried the ac workaround for the jvc? I am also curious how it sounds? I bought a 20$ headphone amp online but would upgrade if the jvc has ac and works great.
Mindwarper is offline  
post #156 of 10626 Old 09-17-2007, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
oceanjumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

I want to be able to switch btwn 360, PS3, and XA1. Hopefully, going through the receiver will let me do that. Is that right?

Yes, that is right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

One more Q. It looks like the US version does not have an AC adaptor port. Someone else had already linked to this solution. http://www.instructables.com/id/EP344SFYNKEWZMJR0F/

Any other ideas?

Not really. I had planned on using rechargeable batteries...
oceanjumper is offline  
post #157 of 10626 Old 09-17-2007, 12:19 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member
 
KBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by electr0n View Post

I just got the Sennheiser 595's and I want to say they sound awesome. I wanted a decent pair of headphones that I can use late at night to keep the house quiet while I'm on my Xbox 360. After some thought - and much reading I opted to go with the higher quality stereo headphones over a potentially weak sounding 5.1 headset. Admittedly I'm not an audiophile (I'll buy something without even listening to it based on other's reviews) but these do sound really great. I listen to a fair amount of music so I didn't want to sacrifice music for gaming.

I listened to several cd's this weekend and heard detail I've never heard through my HSU ventriloquists. I have an Onkyo TX-SR601 receiver driving them currently. So I do recommend them as well and I appreciate all of the posts helping me with my decision. It seems like anytime these days when you make a statement there is someone waiting to flame you. But I am glad we have a forum like this for the open exchange of opinion.

I also just got the Zalman Microphone and did the mod to the controller so I can use it instead of the cheap Live headset. The only thing I've done so far is to make a couple of audio messages to test it - mainly to check my soldering skills. It seems to work fine but I had to hold the mic right up to my mouth for a decent volume. That said, the audio was very clear. As yet I haven't really had any online time to check out how the mic sounds to others. So I am curious too if anyone has had any experience with the Zalman - especially using it online.

Also I'm considering getting the JVC surround sound adapter but I really don't want to sacrifice audio quality for surround sound. I guess that's something you have to hear for yourself though. Can those with the JVC adapter chime in to say if they are happy with their decision to buy it?

Thanks

No sacrifice in SQ.. That only implies to the 5.1 head sets that use 8 drivers.. Thats why I recommend getting a good stereo headphone & a 5.1 adaptor to get the best of both worlds without compromise.

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
KBI is offline  
post #158 of 10626 Old 09-17-2007, 12:26 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member
 
KBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

I just ordered the JVC SU dh1 along with the AT 500's and I will post impressions when I can.

My question is what kind of cable I need for this thing. It has an optical digital mini jack in. The manual on the official site says that the needed cable is a digital mini plug cord and is not supplied.

Here is the official site.
http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?model...hId=135&page=1

Here is the manual.
http://resources.jvc.com/Resources/0...T0055-001A.pdf

I want to use the optical toslink out from my AVR to go the the JVC so I need some kind of toslink to digital mini plug adaptor.

I found this on monoprice.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage
Does this look right?

Is this the same thing?
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage

Yes. Those are it.
I have extra mini adaptors if you want one.. You just need one.

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
KBI is offline  
post #159 of 10626 Old 09-17-2007, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
formulanerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 9,373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
been using these for almost 7 years... i love them.

Panasonic RP-HT1000

The HT 1000s are open-air headphones. Open-air design means that the speakers are not set in a completely solid enclosure. The backs are open, hence the name. This means that a decent amount of sound seeps out toward other people, making them less than ideal in close quarters. The pair uses large-diameter, 40mm, driver units. Panasonic claims a frequency response from 7Hz up to 28kHz. There is no way in hell these things can hit 7Hz, but who cares.

Sound: At home I use a pair of Beyers that I've had for about four years. They are fantastic headphones, but they cost about $350.00. I could not believe how close the sound quality of the HT1000s was to my "reference" cans. The Panasonics easily had the flattest sound in terms of coloration. The sound was full, open, accurate, and dynamic. The low end was very impressive, present but not as exaggerated as many headphones make it. The detail was much better than I expected. Listening to the Silver Jews' American Water I actually heard undercurrents that I had never detected, even at home. There is a penny whistle or some such instrument present in the last verse that I had simply never heard. The only sonic weakness - and this is serious nitpicking - is a slight softness in the upper mids. The highs are great, but there is a bit of a gap between them and the mids.

These headphones sound fantastic in every respect. They are capable of reproducing anything from Ella Fitzgerald to The Matrix.

Comfort: As if sounding great weren't enough, the HT1000s were also the most comfy of the bunch. They are light yet fit very securely. The earcups are perfectly sized, even for my big-ass ears. The self-adjusting, two part headband works very well. I could wear these things all day long and be neither fatigued nor hot in the ears.

Features: Nothing special here, but that's no big deal.

Build Quality: These cans look a tad goofy, but they grow on you very quickly. And they might not look it at first glance, but they are very well made. The joints and wiring are all assembled very well and, thank god, Panasonic saw fit to put a fairly heavy gauge wire on the HT1000s. Great stuff.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Strengths:
everything, bass, clarity,

Weaknesses:
none

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
formulanerd is offline  
post #160 of 10626 Old 09-17-2007, 12:29 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member
 
KBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindwarper View Post

I am curious has anyone tried the ac workaround for the jvc? I am also curious how it sounds? I bought a 20$ headphone amp online but would upgrade if the jvc has ac and works great.

You can always buy the Japanse version with the adaptor & get a voltage converter.

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
KBI is offline  
post #161 of 10626 Old 09-17-2007, 12:30 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member
 
KBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd View Post

been using these for almost 7 years... i love them.

Panasonic RP-HT1000

The HT 1000s are open-air headphones. Open-air design means that the speakers are not set in a completely solid enclosure. The backs are open, hence the name. This means that a decent amount of sound seeps out toward other people, making them less than ideal in close quarters. The pair uses large-diameter, 40mm, driver units. Panasonic claims a frequency response from 7Hz up to 28kHz. There is no way in hell these things can hit 7Hz, but who cares.

Sound: At home I use a pair of Beyers that I've had for about four years. They are fantastic headphones, but they cost about $350.00. I could not believe how close the sound quality of the HT1000s was to my "reference" cans. The Panasonics easily had the flattest sound in terms of coloration. The sound was full, open, accurate, and dynamic. The low end was very impressive, present but not as exaggerated as many headphones make it. The detail was much better than I expected. Listening to the Silver Jews' American Water I actually heard undercurrents that I had never detected, even at home. There is a penny whistle or some such instrument present in the last verse that I had simply never heard. The only sonic weakness - and this is serious nitpicking - is a slight softness in the upper mids. The highs are great, but there is a bit of a gap between them and the mids.

These headphones sound fantastic in every respect. They are capable of reproducing anything from Ella Fitzgerald to The Matrix.

Comfort: As if sounding great weren't enough, the HT1000s were also the most comfy of the bunch. They are light yet fit very securely. The earcups are perfectly sized, even for my big-ass ears. The self-adjusting, two part headband works very well. I could wear these things all day long and be neither fatigued nor hot in the ears.

Features: Nothing special here, but that's no big deal.

Build Quality: These cans look a tad goofy, but they grow on you very quickly. And they might not look it at first glance, but they are very well made. The joints and wiring are all assembled very well and, thank god, Panasonic saw fit to put a fairly heavy gauge wire on the HT1000s. Great stuff.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Strengths:
everything, bass, clarity,

Weaknesses:
none

DT 880's?

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
KBI is offline  
post #162 of 10626 Old 09-17-2007, 12:32 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member
 
KBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by b51cole View Post

Hence the request for a PM. Time to end the Flame............ pot meet kettle .....

back onto topic..... anyone have experience with the zalman mic for xbox live chat? It looks kind of flimsy. The ones I have seen, clip onto a wire. Looks like it would be annoying.

Anyone know of a different type of mic? Otherwise I think I'll have to use the ol xbox live headset, with muted volume, over the new cans.

I believe creative sells some as well..

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
KBI is offline  
post #163 of 10626 Old 09-17-2007, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
formulanerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 9,373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI View Post

DT 880's?

yes, the reviewer was referring to those.... the panny's reviewed had an msrp of 39.99, so you can see where the value is, especially with his impression in comparison to the DT 880's, costing nearly 10 times the amount.

i dont think you can find the HT1000's any more, but i wish i could get a backup set. in COD4 my kill counts almost double with my cans on vs low volume stereo play.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
formulanerd is offline  
post #164 of 10626 Old 09-17-2007, 01:02 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member
 
KBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd View Post

yes, the reviewer was referring to those.... the panny's reviewed had an msrp of 39.99, so you can see where the value is, especially with his impression in comparison to the DT 880's, costing nearly 10 times the amount.

i dont think you can find the HT1000's any more, but i wish i could get a backup set. in COD4 my kill counts almost double with my cans on vs low volume stereo play.

Weaknesses:
None??
All headphones have a weakness, even the 'king' R10...

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
KBI is offline  
post #165 of 10626 Old 09-17-2007, 05:30 PM
Member
 
HaD3k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by electr0n View Post

I also just got the Zalman Microphone and did the mod to the controller so I can use it instead of the cheap Live headset. The only thing I've done so far is to make a couple of audio messages to test it - mainly to check my soldering skills. It seems to work fine but I had to hold the mic right up to my mouth for a decent volume. That said, the audio was very clear. As yet I haven't really had any online time to check out how the mic sounds to others. So I am curious too if anyone has had any experience with the Zalman - especially using it online.

How did you determine the M- wire from the M+ with that mic? Im getting the same one (planning the same mod).
HaD3k is offline  
post #166 of 10626 Old 09-17-2007, 10:29 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member
 
KBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd View Post

yes, the reviewer was referring to those.... the panny's reviewed had an msrp of 39.99, so you can see where the value is, especially with his impression in comparison to the DT 880's, costing nearly 10 times the amount.

i dont think you can find the HT1000's any more
, but i wish i could get a backup set. in COD4 my kill counts almost double with my cans on vs low volume stereo play.

Here you go..

http://www.partstore.com/sl/2/119388...-rpht1000.html

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
KBI is offline  
post #167 of 10626 Old 09-17-2007, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
formulanerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 9,373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI View Post

Weaknesses:
None??
All headphones have a weakness, even the 'king' R10...

well the review was part of a "best cans for under $100" so putting it in perspective and in the price range, i guess he saw no major weaknesses that werent already expected of $50 headphones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI View Post

Here you go..

http://www.partstore.com/sl/2/119388...-rpht1000.html

thank you so much!

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
formulanerd is offline  
post #168 of 10626 Old 09-17-2007, 10:49 PM
Member
 
SamuraiXmas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Specifically for Halo 3 sessions late at night, I'm thinking about getting some 5.1 headphones. Like alot of people, I'm stuck between the Turtle Beach Headphones, the Triton Headphones or the Razer headphones. All of them have nearly identical specs, and I have no way of testing them before I buy. I've already got a pair of closed Beyer headphones for stereo, but I'm specifically looking for a pair that can do the 5.1 (without having to simulate).

Since this is just for multiplayer, and the sound doesn't need to be accurate, or with a flat response (or any of the rest of the audiophile catch phrases) etc; Which headphones would you guys suggest with the only criteria being how well it does the 5.1 directionality (how well it gives you that surround experience). Needs to be just the headphones, not a 5.1 adapter, needs an XBL mic, and preferably under 200 bucks-ish. Thanks
SamuraiXmas is offline  
post #169 of 10626 Old 09-17-2007, 10:57 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member
 
KBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiXmas View Post

Specifically for Halo 3 sessions late at night, I'm thinking about getting some 5.1 headphones. Like alot of people, I'm stuck between the Turtle Beach Headphones, the Triton Headphones or the Razer headphones. All of them have nearly identical specs, and I have no way of testing them before I buy. I've already got a pair of closed Beyer headphones for stereo, but I'm specifically looking for a pair that can do the 5.1 (without having to simulate).

Since this is just for multiplayer, and the sound doesn't need to be accurate, or with a flat response (or any of the rest of the audiophile catch phrases) etc; Which headphones would you guys suggest with the only criteria being how well it does the 5.1 directionality (how well it gives you that surround experience). Needs to be just the headphones, not a 5.1 adapter, needs an XBL mic, and preferably under 200 bucks-ish. Thanks

Barracuda with the AC-1 SC for the win..

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
KBI is offline  
post #170 of 10626 Old 09-17-2007, 11:00 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member
 
KBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd View Post

well the review was part of a "best cans for under $100" so putting it in perspective and in the price range, i guess he saw no major weaknesses that werent already expected of $50 headphones.



thank you so much!

True. I have a 80.00 headphone & 550.00 headphone.. No way is the 550.00 headphone 6X's better then my 80.00 headphone... But its better enough, & different enough to justify the extra cash..

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
KBI is offline  
post #171 of 10626 Old 09-17-2007, 11:22 PM
Member
 
SamuraiXmas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Beyers were 200 bucks. That's the most I've ever, or will ever, spend on a pair of headphones. It's hard to get an honest opinion of gaming headphones without an audiophile interjecting "No! Those are crap! The bass response is over emphasized and the highs aren't crisp enough!!!!"

The razers look the nicest, and they are the easiest to get (Bestbuy has them, Circuit City has them etc) but all the reviews are nearly identical (which makes them altogether untrustworthy). I plan to play the Halo 3 campaign during the day when everyone else is gone, so that I can use my surround speakers (without hell breaking loose), but for late night multiplayer, it would be nice to have that extra little bit of advantage that the 5.1 brings, without waking the neighbors XD
SamuraiXmas is offline  
post #172 of 10626 Old 09-17-2007, 11:29 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member
 
KBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiXmas View Post

My Beyers were 200 bucks. That's the most I've ever, or will ever, spend on a pair of headphones. It's hard to get an honest opinion of gaming headphones without an audiophile interjecting "No! Those are crap! The bass response is over emphasized and the highs aren't crisp enough!!!!"

The razers look the nicest, and they are the easiest to get (Bestbuy has them, Circuit City has them etc) but all the reviews are nearly identical (which makes them altogether untrustworthy). I plan to play the Halo 3 campaign during the day when everyone else is gone, so that I can use my surround speakers (without hell breaking loose), but for late night multiplayer, it would be nice to have that extra little bit of advantage that the 5.1 brings, without waking the neighbors XD

I wouldn't consider myself a audiophile. An audiophile is someone who gets rid of his 1,400 headphones cause the mids are a bit recessed.. I do like good sounding audio, & will keep spending until I hit my personal Nirvana. I'm not in the 5.1 headphones sound like crap category. I used my friends Zalmans & they were very fun & the sound wasn't bad at all. If you aren't planning on getting the AC-1 with the Barracuda I'd go with the Trittons.. The Barracudes/Turtle headphones get mixed reviews, but the Trittons are pretty consistent.

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
KBI is offline  
post #173 of 10626 Old 09-18-2007, 12:48 AM
Member
 
SamuraiXmas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oh, I wasn't talking about anyone in particular. I just mean, in general, whenever the topic of 5.1 headphones comes up, some Audiophile feels the need to mention that there are 5(6?) small drivers in each earcup, and that they couldn't possibly sound as good as a pair Sennheisers (or AKG, Beyer, Grado etc). These people (no offense to them) completely miss the point of having surround sound headphones (Immediately knowing where enemies are coming/shooting from for instance). It's not so much about audio quality, as it is about accurate placement of sound. When something is mastered in 5.1 surround (or in the case of games, supports and was made for 5.1) then I'm going to take full advantage of it. When I want to listen to an orchestral score or some CD's, then I'll get out the "Audiophile" headphones.

So far it seems to be 1 vote for the Barracuda's, and one for the Triton's. I'll probably decide one way or the other tomorrow, since the game comes out in a week and I don't feel like paying for overnight shipping =P
SamuraiXmas is offline  
post #174 of 10626 Old 09-18-2007, 03:06 AM
KBI
AVS Special Member
 
KBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiXmas View Post

Oh, I wasn't talking about anyone in particular. I just mean, in general, whenever the topic of 5.1 headphones comes up, some Audiophile feels the need to mention that there are 5(6?) small drivers in each earcup, and that they couldn't possibly sound as good as a pair Sennheisers (or AKG, Beyer, Grado etc). These people (no offense to them) completely miss the point of having surround sound headphones (Immediately knowing where enemies are coming/shooting from for instance). It's not so much about audio quality, as it is about accurate placement of sound. When something is mastered in 5.1 surround (or in the case of games, supports and was made for 5.1) then I'm going to take full advantage of it. When I want to listen to an orchestral score or some CD's, then I'll get out the "Audiophile" headphones.

So far it seems to be 1 vote for the Barracuda's, and one for the Triton's. I'll probably decide one way or the other tomorrow, since the game comes out in a week and I don't feel like paying for overnight shipping =P


Actually I have no problems with accurate placement of
sound, imaging, micro detail, huge sound stage, with
my stereo headphones.. Do they give me a out of head
experience no, thats why I advocate pairing a great
stereo headphone with a 5.1 adaptor, so you get the
5.1 out of head experience without compromise to SQ..
SQ does come into play.. The better clarity,
seperation, higher resolution.. Helps along with the
5.1 SS. Also enhances your gaming experience, & is
more immersive.. & 5.1 simulation is actually a better
way to go then headphones with the 6-8 drivers. I know
makers of 5.1 headsets like to toss around fake SS &
true SS.. But every person I chatted too via online,
or reading post, all prefered the pioneer wireless 5.1
headphones over the 5.1 headphones with multiple
drivers. Even OXM said the pioneer did a better job
with the SS effects & was more popular around the
office then the Tritton, which scored a 8.. Not to
sound too biased, The author did say they sounded
damn good (Tritton)

I do agree that all games are optimized for 5.1 sound
so it would be ideal to get a 5.1 headset or 5.1
adaptor. Both require optical support by the way. I
know you will love your 5.1 headset, which ever one
you choose.. They are very fun & present a nice 3d
effect, pushing the sound out of the head & to the
front.. Do give impressions.

I like letting people know there are better
alternatives out there, & to debunk the myth that 1, DD 5.1
DSP is a down grade from 5.1 head sets with multiple
drivers, & 2, A quality stereo headphone is great for
gaming & will do things better then 5.1 headphones in
their price range.

A lot of people have bought the JVC 5.1 adaptor along
with their quality headphones. I'm sure they will
report back, & maybe do a comparison between the two..

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
KBI is offline  
post #175 of 10626 Old 09-18-2007, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
oceanjumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

Does anyone know where the cheapest JVC SU DH1 can be found?

I find myself constantly checking out this damn adapter so in anticipation of my impulsivity I started searching the web as well. Best price I found so far remains buy-com: $92.99 with free shipping and $10 discount if you are new to Goole checkout (which you will be when using a different email address every time you buy -- so I hear...).

By the way, is the JVC adapter the only one that provides Dolby Headphone 5.1 using a portable adapter? I only found one other reference (here) that mentions a Philips unit... Yet, I did not find any further details on it.
oceanjumper is offline  
post #176 of 10626 Old 09-18-2007, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jedimastergrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,853
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I ordered my JVC from audiocubes just to keep things simple since that is where i got my A500's from. Price was comparable to other places after shipping although not the absolute cheapest.

I never found another 5.1 portable adaptor.

Maybe the unit will arrive by the weekend and I can post my impressions.
jedimastergrant is offline  
post #177 of 10626 Old 09-18-2007, 07:57 AM
Member
 
electr0n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


How did you determine the M- wire from the M+ with that mic? Im getting the same one (planning the same mod).

When you cut the connector off and strip the jacket back there will be a center conductor with a clear jacket and the copper braiding will be around it. I soldered the clear (center conductor) to the M+ and the copper braiding I twisted together and soldered to M-. I tied a knot on the inside and outside of the case for strain relief. I didn't take any pics but basically followed this article:
http://www.keygoods.com/headset.html
electr0n is offline  
post #178 of 10626 Old 09-18-2007, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
formulanerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 9,373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
if someone were to get the barracuda's from razer, how are you going to get surround out of the xbox? these headphones aren't toslink capable from what i can see..

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
formulanerd is offline  
post #179 of 10626 Old 09-18-2007, 11:42 AM
Member
 
HaD3k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by electr0n View Post

When you cut the connector off and strip the jacket back there will be a center conductor with a clear jacket and the copper braiding will be around it. I soldered the clear (center conductor) to the M+ and the copper braiding I twisted together and soldered to M-. I tied a knot on the inside and outside of the case for strain relief. I didn't take any pics but basically followed this article:
http://www.keygoods.com/headset.html

Thanks for the info. I am actually using the same page as well, but it really helps to know whats up with this specific mic. I can cut down on trial and error and get straight to business. I get my mic tomorrow so hopefully I can do the mod and post some pics by midnight (est) tomorrow. I also receive my Senn 555 tomorrow but I wait a little do my impression on those.
HaD3k is offline  
post #180 of 10626 Old 09-18-2007, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
HoodedSoldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 904
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd View Post

been using these for almost 7 years... i love them.

Panasonic RP-HT1000

The HT 1000s are open-air headphones. Open-air design means that the speakers are not set in a completely solid enclosure. The backs are open, hence the name. This means that a decent amount of sound seeps out toward other people, making them less than ideal in close quarters. The pair uses large-diameter, 40mm, driver units. Panasonic claims a frequency response from 7Hz up to 28kHz. There is no way in hell these things can hit 7Hz, but who cares.

Sound: At home I use a pair of Beyers that I've had for about four years. They are fantastic headphones, but they cost about $350.00. I could not believe how close the sound quality of the HT1000s was to my "reference" cans. The Panasonics easily had the flattest sound in terms of coloration. The sound was full, open, accurate, and dynamic. The low end was very impressive, present but not as exaggerated as many headphones make it. The detail was much better than I expected. Listening to the Silver Jews' American Water I actually heard undercurrents that I had never detected, even at home. There is a penny whistle or some such instrument present in the last verse that I had simply never heard. The only sonic weakness - and this is serious nitpicking - is a slight softness in the upper mids. The highs are great, but there is a bit of a gap between them and the mids.

These headphones sound fantastic in every respect. They are capable of reproducing anything from Ella Fitzgerald to The Matrix.

Comfort: As if sounding great weren't enough, the HT1000s were also the most comfy of the bunch. They are light yet fit very securely. The earcups are perfectly sized, even for my big-ass ears. The self-adjusting, two part headband works very well. I could wear these things all day long and be neither fatigued nor hot in the ears.

Features: Nothing special here, but that's no big deal.

Build Quality: These cans look a tad goofy, but they grow on you very quickly. And they might not look it at first glance, but they are very well made. The joints and wiring are all assembled very well and, thank god, Panasonic saw fit to put a fairly heavy gauge wire on the HT1000s. Great stuff.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Strengths:
everything, bass, clarity,

Weaknesses:
none


I did a search on the headphones and found that the review is from ign in 2001.
HoodedSoldier is offline  
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off