post #211 of 10626 Old 09-20-2007, 06:23 AM
A.C
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
KBI (or any other knowledgeable headphone guy),

I have (briefly) read that low impedance headphones, like the Senn's, do not benefit greatly from CMOY amps b/c of low amperage. And thus they would be better mated to something tapped into an outlet... perhaps something like the PAV2.

If I jump into this whole "head-fi" business... I'm want to do it right (within budget of course )

* Oh and thanks everyone for the correction about the JVC volume control. My bad.

XBL: HiFi Buckeye
PSN: hifibuckeye
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 10626 Old 09-20-2007, 07:19 AM
A.C
Advanced Member

* btw, its official. i ordered the 595 & JVC

post #213 of 10626 Old 09-20-2007, 07:21 AM

Ok what cable do I need to plug the JVC adapter into my receiver? I want to enjoy 5.1 movie sound thru the headphones.
post #214 of 10626 Old 09-20-2007, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 190
You will need a digital audio connection, either optical or coax, depending what's your receiver's digital audio output type.
post #215 of 10626 Old 09-20-2007, 12:55 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacos View Post

Ok what cable do I need to plug the JVC adapter into my receiver? I want to enjoy 5.1 movie sound thru the headphones.

You need to get a mini adaptor for your optical cable.. Can be had for 2.00..

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
post #216 of 10626 Old 09-20-2007, 12:58 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.C View Post

I have (briefly) read that low impedance headphones, like the Senn's, do not benefit greatly from CMOY amps b/c of low amperage. And thus they would be better mated to something tapped into an outlet... perhaps something like the PAV2.

If I jump into this whole "head-fi" business... I'm want to do it right (within budget of course )

* Oh and thanks everyone for the correction about the JVC volume control. My bad.

All headphones benefit from a good amp.. Basically low impedance cans like 16-32 are easier to drive, compared to 250-600 OHM cans, which take more juice to drive them to their peak listening levels.. You can use the Cmoy to bypass the JVCs internal amp.. The PAV2.. Which most likely is superior to the amp in the JVC..

post #217 of 10626 Old 09-20-2007, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I am starting get real interested in the JVC adapter but the lack of a dedicated power source is keeping my wallet in pocket. Please report back on battery life for those that have purchased. Thanks!
post #218 of 10626 Old 09-20-2007, 01:20 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYFOOTBALLGIANTS View Post

I am starting get real interested in the JVC adapter but the lack of a dedicated power source is keeping my wallet in pocket. Please report back on battery life for those that have purchased. Thanks!

I believe they last 10 hrs..

post #219 of 10626 Old 09-20-2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYFOOTBALLGIANTS View Post

http://www.instructables.com/id/Run-...ugh-AC-power./

I am planning on preforming this , as soon as I receive my JVC adapter.
post #220 of 10626 Old 09-20-2007, 01:31 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaD3k View Post

http://www.instructables.com/id/Run-...ugh-AC-power./

I am planning on preforming this , as soon as I receive my JVC adapter.

If you bought it from audiocubes, wouldn't the JVC be 220 only & would need a voltage converter?

post #221 of 10626 Old 09-20-2007, 01:41 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

* btw, its official. i ordered the 595 & JVC

Let us know how it sounds with H3

post #222 of 10626 Old 09-20-2007, 03:41 PM

I ended up going with the Tritton's and I'm pretty satisfied with them. I briefly thought about getting that JVC adaptor, but it can't be plugged into the wall? What a joke. I'm sure you can get nice soundstage from stereo headphones (with the adaptor) but that would have left me sans-microphone, which is half the experience on Xbox Live as far as I'm concerned. For under 100 (or around, depending on the kind of deal you get) I'd say the Trittons are your best bet. If you'll never be voice chatting on Xbox Live, and you already have a nice pair of studio headphones, then I guess I'd say "Go for the JVC adaptor!"

If that JVC adaptor ever appears with A/C power as an option (instead of batteries, gah) I'll be interested in picking it up/pairing it with my Beyer's. I can't believe that they'd neglect to include an A/C option =/
post #223 of 10626 Old 09-20-2007, 04:22 PM

I received the Turtle Beach X3 and am happy with the purchase. Stereo only, but good quality and makes Bioshock that much scarier to play at night. Will be using with Halo 3 next week.
post #224 of 10626 Old 09-20-2007, 05:17 PM
A.C
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiXmas View Post

I'm sure you can get nice soundstage from stereo headphones (with the adaptor) but that would have left me sans-microphone, which is half the experience on Xbox Live as far as I'm concerned.

You are absolutely right about VoIP being 1/2 the fun. However I don't plan on sacrificing that feature. I may be naive... but I plan to:

1. use a clip on mic for transmitting my voice to others
2. use the option to broadcast other's voice over the main speakers

If I am correct in the availability of these 2 options, then VoIP is still possible. I sure hope it is at least...

post #225 of 10626 Old 09-20-2007, 07:31 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I ended up going with the Tritton's and I'm pretty satisfied with them. I briefly thought about getting that JVC adaptor, but it can't be plugged into the wall? What a joke. I'm sure you can get nice soundstage from stereo headphones (with the adaptor) but that would have left me sans-microphone, which is half the experience on Xbox Live as far as I'm concerned. For under 100 (or around, depending on the kind of deal you get) I'd say the Trittons are your best bet. If you'll never be voice chatting on Xbox Live, and you already have a nice pair of studio headphones, then I guess I'd say "Go for the JVC adaptor!"

If that JVC adaptor ever appears with A/C power as an option (instead of batteries, gah) I'll be interested in picking it up/pairing it with my Beyer's. I can't believe that they'd neglect to include an A/C option =/

They were made for portable use thats the reason.. If you want a 5.1 headphones with 8 drivers for under a 100.00 the Trittons are your best bet.. Glad you like them..

post #226 of 10626 Old 09-20-2007, 07:46 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

On a side note, I owned the PAV2.. & the creator Gary Ali gives the best customer service one could hope for.. He replies to all emails very quickly, & is very polite & detailed in his responses. Very acomidating. (SP) He will increase or decrease the gain on request. He resides in Canada & will take 7-10 days before you get it in your hands. The amp drove my headphones better then my Yamaha receiver.

post #227 of 10626 Old 09-20-2007, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI View Post

If you bought it from audiocubes, wouldn't the JVC be 220 only & would need a voltage converter?

Bought it from Amazon so I am not totally sure. I'm definitely looking for power settings and the like on the unit before I attempt the AC hookup. I will know tomorrow.
post #228 of 10626 Old 09-20-2007, 08:14 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bought it from Amazon so I am not totally sure. I'm definitely looking for power settings and the like on the unit before I attempt the AC hookup. I will know tomorrow.

if you bought from Amazon its the 120 V version..

post #229 of 10626 Old 09-20-2007, 09:48 PM

Sry KBI I lied. I got the optical adapter from Amazon. Got the JVC adapter from Buy.com

http://www.buy.com/prod/jvc-su-dh1-s...ml#prodInfoSec

Whatever power input/etc , I will do my best to convert it to wall adapter. I will then share my findings.
post #230 of 10626 Old 09-20-2007, 09:51 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Damn. Crutchfield charges 140.00 for them..

post #231 of 10626 Old 09-20-2007, 11:49 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

More detailed info, courtesy of crutchfield.com

Features

Overview: The SU-DH1 is a portable surround sound headphone adapter. It features Dolby headphone technology to provide 5.1ch surround sound through any set of headphones. It comes with an analog input cord that can be stored into the unit, and also has an optical digital mini jack. Ideal to use with laptop computer, portable DVD player, handheld video viewer, and portable game systems or other portable music/video product. Also it can be used to enjoy the in-flight movie with surround sound. Carrying pouch, airplane plug adapter, and two AA battery are all provided.

Virtual Surround Sound Modes: The SU-DH1 can reproduce the following formats:

* Dolby Digital: This is used to reproduce multi-channel soundtracks of the software encoded with Dolby Digital.
* Dolby Digital Pro Logic II: This is a newly developed multi-channel playback format to decode all 2 channel sources (stereo source and Dolby Surround encoded sources) into a 5.1 channel. There are two modes of Dolby Pro Logic II:
o Movie: suitable for reproduction of the software encoded with Dolby surround
o Music: suitable for reproduction of any 2 channel stereo music sources
* DTS Digital Surround: This is used to reproduce multi-channel soundtracks of the software encoded with DTS digital surround. DTS surround is another discrete multi-channel digital audio format available on CD and DVD software.
* MPEG-2 AAC: This is a surround format developed by MPEG and can reproduce the sound in 5.1 channel at the maximum.

Surround Functions: On the face of the SU-DH1, there are two buttons, one is labeled "Dolby Pro Logic II" and the other is "Dolby Headphone." These buttons allow you to choose the particular playback modes. You can choose from the following modes:

* Dolby Pro Logic II: Auto, Movie, Music, Off
* Dolby Headphone: DH1, DH2, DH3, Off

Line Attenuation Switch (LINE IN ATT): This switch allows you to adjust the input volume level of the component connected by line in cord. Set the switch to -8db in standard use. When the volume level of the component connected has a low signal set the switch to 0 dB. The switch is found on the right side of the adapter.

Inputs/Outputs

* Right side of the adapter
o Mini-jack female Digital input
o Mini-jack female Headphone output
* Bottom right side of the adapter
o Mini-jack male Line input on a 4.5" cable

post #232 of 10626 Old 09-21-2007, 05:33 AM

Quote:

Sry KBI I lied. I got the optical adapter from Amazon. Got the JVC adapter from Buy.com

http://www.buy.com/prod/jvc-su-dh1-s...ml#prodInfoSec

Whatever power input/etc , I will do my best to convert it to wall adapter. I will then share my findings.

God speed good sir.

I know it's a "Portable" device, but give me a break. My Ipod, PSP, Laptop, and my *List goes on for awhile* are all "Portable" devices, but they all include wall adaptors.

For when it does come out in A/C form (if I should say) can anyone speak to how the adaptor compares to something like Creative's EAX modes? (such as "Coliseum" "Sewer Pipe" and "Concert Hall") and Creative's DVD playback mode? I've been less than impressed with simulated surround before, but then again I've never tried Dolby's version of Simulated Surround.

Oh well. I've got my 5.1 headset, my Pioneer Plasma, and my Gamefuel (and Bawls for when I can no longer hold my Gamefuel). It's Halo 3 time baby
post #233 of 10626 Old 09-21-2007, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
KBI,

So where would I buy the voltage converter for the jvc from audio cube? Do they or monoprice sell the adapter I would need if I was inputing a standard toshlink optical cable?
post #234 of 10626 Old 09-21-2007, 06:37 AM
A.C
Advanced Member

if you're talking about AC/DC voltage conversion... i'd just hack a spare brick (with the correct outputs) that you have lying around (i know i have a ton). but if you wanted to buy one, i'm pretty sure RadioShack offers them.

post #235 of 10626 Old 09-21-2007, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
A.C.

Sorry I don't know what a brick is I was talking about the 220v Japanese conversion which I think is a different thing. But I would like to know more about what you are talking about with regards to using a brick (battery pack of some sort?) with the N.A. model.
post #236 of 10626 Old 09-21-2007, 10:14 AM

By brick, he means the power brick that comes with most electronics these days (like the Xbox 360, a laptop, etc). I'm not an electrician, but I assume they change A/C to D/C?

I certainly don't have the knowledge to splice something like that together, but kudos to anybody that does. Shame on JVC for making anyone even consider it =P
post #237 of 10626 Old 09-21-2007, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I think what A.C. means is that instead of fiddling with 220/110 AC conversion which isn't going to be easy and safe, you try to find out what the DC input voltage of the JVC adapter is and find a 3rd party adapter that outputs same DC voltage and correct plug (Radio Shack is the place to look) that plugs directly into the JVC unit.
post #238 of 10626 Old 09-21-2007, 12:30 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepP View Post

KBI,

So where would I buy the voltage converter for the jvc from audio cube? Do they or monoprice sell the adapter I would need if I was inputing a standard toshlink optical cable?

Ebay, My local Best Buy has some too.. & audiocubes I believe...

So, anyone get theirs yet?

post #239 of 10626 Old 09-21-2007, 12:33 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

God speed good sir.

I know it's a "Portable" device, but give me a break. My Ipod, PSP, Laptop, and my *List goes on for awhile* are all "Portable" devices, but they all include wall adaptors.

For when it does come out in A/C form (if I should say) can anyone speak to how the adaptor compares to something like Creative's EAX modes? (such as "Coliseum" "Sewer Pipe" and "Concert Hall") and Creative's DVD playback mode? I've been less than impressed with simulated surround before, but then again I've never tried Dolby's version of Simulated Surround.

Oh well. I've got my 5.1 headset, my Pioneer Plasma, and my Gamefuel (and Bawls for when I can no longer hold my Gamefuel). It's Halo 3 time baby

Dolby 5.1 is the best out.. I know the JVC is encoded with DD 5.1 & DTS, & requires a optical cable so it's true 5.1.. How is the SS with your Trittons?

post #240 of 10626 Old 09-21-2007, 12:57 PM
A.C
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

I think what A.C. means is that instead of fiddling with 220/110 AC conversion which isn't going to be easy and safe, you try to find out what the DC input voltage of the JVC adapter is and find a 3rd party adapter that outputs same DC voltage and correct plug (Radio Shack is the place to look) that plugs directly into the JVC unit.

Exactly. The VAST majority of electronic devices use DC voltage. Batteries provide DC voltage. Most everything that gets plugged into a wall (AC voltage) gets converted to DC.

So in North America, 110 volt (AC) is converted to DC. In Japan 220 volt (AC) is converted to DC. The catch is that electronic devices do not use identical DC voltage (or amps). So 110/220 doesn't really matter. Only the DC voltage.

Check this image out. This is an example of a "brick"

Input: 100-240V, 50/60Hz, 11W (notice the sine wave = AC volt)
Output: 4.2V, 1.5A (notice the horizontal/dashed line = DC volt)

This camera charger uses 4.2V DC... however other devices use 9V DC. Some use 12V DC. So its just a matter of figuring out what the JVC requires and finding a brick that falls into that range.

Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page