What gaming headphones to buy? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10626 Old 08-21-2007, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
In anticipation of Halo 3 I am looking to get headphones. In my limited research I selected it down to Turtle beach Ear Force X2 and TRITTON AX360, leaning strongly towards the AX360 (the AX360 can take the XBX360's optical output and do a 5.1 surround sound). Any other recommendations? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10626 Old 08-21-2007, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
what type of headphones are you talking about? for the actual game sound from the TV? If thats the case how will you chat via xbox live?

xbox live GT: xXmaximus prime
PSN: maximus_rr
I have to go, I have a meeting with the bobs, uhhh I wasnt aware of any meeting......yeah they called me at home
post #3 of 10626 Old 08-21-2007, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximuslcd View Post

what type of headphones are you talking about? for the actual game sound from the TV? If thats the case how will you chat via xbox live?

He's talking about both game sound and xbox live voice chat. Both of the examples he gave are headphone/headset combinations, which do game sound and also have mics for chat.

I've been considering those Trittons, too. There's a couple threads about them here in the xbox area of AVS. The surround feature seems pretty cool, and apparently they work pretty well.

I think it really boils down to: how much money you're willing to spend.
post #4 of 10626 Old 08-21-2007, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanjumper View Post

In anticipation of Halo 3 I am looking to get headphones. In my limited research I selected it down to Turtle beach Ear Force X2 and TRITTON AX360, leaning strongly towards the AX360 (the AX360 can take the XBX360's optical output and do a 5.1 surround sound). Any other recommendations? Thanks

I had the Turtle beach Ear Force X2 and I can honestly say they were spectaculator. I loved them. In fact, my ears picked up sounds on some of the H2 maps I had never heard before.

One major caveat and it is MAJOR. They are NOT 5.1 surround!! Therefore, you hear every sound on the map. For example, on Terminal, if someone is sniping on the other side of the map, it sounds like it right next to you. That was a deal breaker for me.

They feel a little bulky, but I love the Motorola Gaming Headset X205. My friends tell me they can hear me perfectly and I can hear everyone great.

post #5 of 10626 Old 08-21-2007, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah. Although money is ALWAYS an issue, for a good head set I don't mind spending a bit more. I plan to connect the XBX360 to my Gateway FDP2275W monitor (in stead of my current 32" Sammy 480p TV set), hoping to get a sharper image and better sniping skills . Anyone knows if Halo 3 will provide 5.1 output?

TIGERDIRECT has a $30 rebate on the TRITTON. Except... they seem to be out of stock completely! Buy.kom offers them for ~$100
post #6 of 10626 Old 08-21-2007, 01:38 PM

I have some advice for you. You see I play halo 2 very competitively and am even ranked semi pro in the MLG league if you have ever heard of it(http://www.mlgpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132207 gamertag is Cloud). Anyways I can tell you right now that the best headphone you can get is the seinheisser 555. Nearly every professional Halo player uses these headphones and I can assure you they sound better than any 5.1 surround set. They are also extremely light and comfortable, sometimes you will forget they are even there. And I had those turtle beach phones and they are terrible, and as for the tritton dont bother because they are heavy and your ears will be hurting in a matter of minutes(they sound good though).

The only thing is they dont have a headset built in but I just use a regular headset under the headphones and it works perfectly.

Gamertag: TrounCeN

I'm a Halo 3 semi pro. seriously.
post #7 of 10626 Old 08-21-2007, 02:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 17
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/08/10/jo...4-multiplayer/

So, once we were finally let loose into the dark bowels of Cinespace, we found a mixture of LCD screens set up on camoflauge netting, and gaming kiosks provided by Microsoft, with all the multiplayer action happening on the Xbox 360. The stations also featured the Tritton AX360 5.1 headsets, and after playing with one for an hour or so, it's definitely on our "want" list, right behind CoD4. That's probably a credit to how good the sound is in this game, like the other entries in the CoD series, and the "tink, tink, tink" of a grenade hitting the ground behind you is pretty fear-inducing.
post #8 of 10626 Old 08-21-2007, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I know they are kind of pricey... but I have the Pioneer SE-DIR800s and they frickin rock. In Vegas, I can hear a pin drop a 1/2 block away.

One call has them on sale right now also...
post #9 of 10626 Old 08-21-2007, 02:17 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The pioneer 5.1 headphones are the best.. The Tritton & other 'gaming' 5.1 headphones use 8 small & supbar drivers, & a rumble function instead of bass, so you get the 5.1 effect but SQ is greatly compromised. & why would anyone want headphones made from a computer company? IMO you should get a good stereo headphone & get the JVC 5.1 adaptor so you get the best of both worlds.

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
post #10 of 10626 Old 08-21-2007, 02:25 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase117 View Post

I have some advice for you. You see I play halo 2 very competitively and am even ranked semi pro in the MLG league if you have ever heard of it(http://www.mlgpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132207 gamertag is Cloud). Anyways I can tell you right now that the best headphone you can get is the seinheisser 555. Nearly every professional Halo player uses these headphones and I can assure you they sound better than any 5.1 surround set. They are also extremely light and comfortable, sometimes you will forget they are even there. And I had those turtle beach phones and they are terrible, and as for the tritton dont bother because they are heavy and your ears will be hurting in a matter of minutes(they sound good though).

The only thing is they dont have a headset built in but I just use a regular headset under the headphones and it works perfectly.

Yes. The Sen 555's are better then any 5.1 headphone.. Although the pioneers would be a close 2nd.. But the 555's are far from being the best headphones for competitive play. I'm a headphone & gaming nut, & my headphone gaming rig is over 2,000. I have the Sony SA5000/Sen 650/AKG340 all in a balanced configuration. Headphone characteristics for competitve play would include 3d Imaging, Wide soundstage, detail, non bloated bass, & clarity.

It does suck that the average joe wants to buy a pair of 5.1 headphones cause competitive players use them..But they need to figure out that the companies that make these 5.1 hadphones are sponsoring them.

post #11 of 10626 Old 08-21-2007, 02:44 PM

I've been eyeing these for months. They are coming out at the end of the month.

http://ltbaudio.com/qhomeac3fx.html

I spoke at length with the rep at their headquarters and he pretty much sold me on them. He recommended buying them from the Radioshack (don't laugh) website and having them shipped to a local store. If I don't like them, I can just take them back for a refund.

I like the way the speakers sit in the earpieces for the 5.1 directional sound, instead of electronic gimmicks to imitate surround. If anyone has tried this brand for 5.1, I'd sure like some feedback. Thanks.
post #12 of 10626 Old 08-21-2007, 02:57 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snudley View Post

I've been eyeing these for months. They are coming out at the end of the month.

http://ltbaudio.com/qhomeac3fx.html

I spoke at length with the rep at their headquarters and he pretty much sold me on them. He recommended buying them from the Radioshack (don't laugh) website and having them shipped to a local store. If I don't like them, I can just take them back for a refund.

I like the way the speakers sit in the earpieces for the 5.1 directional sound, instead of electronic gimmicks to imitate surround. If anyone has tried this brand for 5.1, I'd sure like some feedback. Thanks.

Hi Def audio? Nice marketing.. Almost as bad as my SA5000 which Sony claims has HD composite drivers. These 5.1 headphones seem to be a level above the other 'true' 5.1 headphones. Sometimes you do get what you pay for.

post #13 of 10626 Old 08-22-2007, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

Great suggestion guys. Thanks. I like Sennheiser alot (I own a pair of noise-cancelling headphones). I would go for the 555 but the lack of integrated microphone seems a bit awkward for XBL. I don't quite visualize Chase117's suggestion of using a regular headset under the headphones. Furthermore, how do you connect these to the XBOX 360? With this adapter from Sennheiser itself? How would you connect the mic then?

I also like Snudley's suggestion. It seems to have everything (just like the TRITTON one). What is the price?

I read more reviews on TRITTON AX360 and -really- very few complaints on the weight. Any one -in addition to Chase117- who actually used them?

KBI... WOW! Man, you sure know how to pick the headphones... But, I can't reasonably justify spending THAT much. Nevertheless, I certainly value your opinion so would like to hear what you would do if you had $100-150 to spend. 95% of my gaming is Halo on XBL.
post #14 of 10626 Old 08-22-2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:

I read more reviews on TRITTON AX360 and -really- very few complaints on the weight. Any one -in addition to Chase117- who actually used them?

I've got a pair and they are definitely heavy. If there was more padding for the top of my head I don't think I'd mind at all. They're very comfy on the ears.
post #15 of 10626 Old 08-22-2007, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I've had a pair of Trittons for about a year now. They sound really, really good. They noise cancel pretty good with the outside world too.

While I wouldn't say they're 'heavy' they are definitely not light if you know what I mean.

The 5.1 effect takes some getting used to. What I mean is the first day or two you wear them you may not perceive true surround sound. Your brain needs a little time to adjust to the fact that the 5.1 is actually positioned around your ear as opposed to a real 5.1 setup where the speakers are positioned around the room. Give it a couple of days and you'll be very happy.

Lastly, althought the integrated XBox Live mic is a plus, it's kind of flimsy. Mine only lasted a few months before the wire got severed. This happens because the the mic can pivot and the wire connecting the mic ends up getting moved and twisted quite regularly.

XBOX 360 - KrazeeEyezKeith

PS4 - KrazeeKeith

post #16 of 10626 Old 08-22-2007, 10:50 AM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Great suggestion guys. Thanks. I like Sennheiser alot (I own a pair of noise-cancelling headphones). I would go for the 555 but the lack of integrated microphone seems a bit awkward for XBL. I don't quite visualize Chase117's suggestion of using a regular headset under the headphones. Furthermore, how do you connect these to the XBOX 360? With this adapter from Sennheiser itself? How would you connect the mic then?

I also like Snudley's suggestion. It seems to have everything (just like the TRITTON one). What is the price?

KBI... WOW! Man, you sure know how to pick the headphones... But, I can't reasonably justify spending THAT much. Nevertheless, I certainly value your opinion so would like to hear what you would do if you had $100-150 to spend. 95% of my gaming is Halo on XBL.

Ofcourse not. I'm nuts in that regard. But use it for music too half the time. I'd recommend a Zalman clip on mic, good pair of stereo headphones for 60.00 then get the JVC 5.1 adaptor if you think you really need 5.1 to get the extra advantage.. So you will have 5.1 SS without compromising the SQ..
I'd recommed the Beyerdynamic 231
http://www.headphone.com/products/he...1-galactic.php
Sen 212pro (sealed headphone. Better isolation)
http://www.headphone.com/products/he...hd-212-pro.php
Sen EH 250
http://www.headphone.com/products/he...hd-212-pro.php
ATH 500 (Closed headphone. Isolation almost as good as the BOSE triports but better build & SQ)
http://www.audiocubes.com/category/H...eadphones.html
ATH 700 (closed headphone)
http://www.audiocubes.com/category/H...eadphones.html
Sen 595
http://www.headphone.com/products/he...ser-hd-595.php
Denon 1000 (closed headphone)
http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3462.asp

Just a reminder. You can find these cheaper on Amazon.com.. The 595's can be found MUCH cheaper on ebay. headfi.com (New or used) Audiogon (New or used)

I own the Sen 212pro & they are very good.. Loved playing GOW & FPSers with them.. I owned the 595's & they are the most fun I had with headphones while gaming. Very detailed, & spacious.

post #17 of 10626 Old 08-22-2007, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I'd second the rec for the Denon AH-D1000. There really is no such thing as a "gaming" headphone, it's a marketing gimmick, just as there is no such thing as a gaming display, or gaming speakers.

Focus on getting a quality set of cans that have good sound quality. You will enjoy them across all of your media, not just games.

Do not let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
XBL & PSN GT: ProjectGemini07

post #18 of 10626 Old 08-22-2007, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

KBI or anyone else have any experience with the RS 120 RF wireless set? MSRP is $110, but you can get them here for $72.

I have been looking too and really prefer to be wireless.

chili
somebody set up us the bomb
post #19 of 10626 Old 08-22-2007, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

KBI: You tha man. Thanks!
post #20 of 10626 Old 08-22-2007, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI View Post

Ofcourse not. I'm nuts in that regard. But use it for music too half the time. I'd recommend a Zalman clip on mic, good pair of stereo headphones for 60.00 then get the JVC 5.1 adaptor if you think you really need 5.1 to get the extra advantage.. So you will have 5.1 SS without compromising the SQ..
Sen 595
http://www.headphone.com/products/he...ser-hd-595.php

+1 on the Senn 595s, excellent gaming cans.
post #21 of 10626 Old 08-22-2007, 05:58 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliDog View Post

KBI or anyone else have any experience with the RS 120 RF wireless set? MSRP is $110, but you can get them here for $72.

I have been looking too and really prefer to be wireless.

Sorry Chill, I don't follow wireless phones.

post #22 of 10626 Old 08-22-2007, 05:59 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynesjc View Post

I'd second the rec for the Denon AH-D1000. There really is no such thing as a "gaming" headphone, it's a marketing gimmick, just as there is no such thing as a gaming display, or gaming speakers.

Focus on getting a quality set of cans that have good sound quality. You will enjoy them across all of your media, not just games.

Very, Very true.. But brings in more traffic when you ad gaming before it.

post #23 of 10626 Old 08-22-2007, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Made a decision: will buy the Senn 555 and clip on mic. The Senn 595 is just soo pricey for me. I will probably buy the JVC 5.1 adapter as well but am still thinking it over.

With the 5.1 adapter, connectivity seems rather straight forward. However, w/o the 5.1 adapter, how do I connect the phones/mic to the XBOX 360? I looked at the Datel adapter but that seems to give only an input for the headphones, not for the mic.
Anyone?
post #24 of 10626 Old 08-22-2007, 09:56 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Made a decision: will buy the Senn 555 and clip on mic. The Senn 595 is just soo pricey for me. I will probably buy the JVC 5.1 adapter as well but am still thinking it over.

With the 5.1 adapter, connectivity seems rather straight forward. However, w/o the 5.1 adapter, how do I connect the phones/mic to the XBOX 360? I looked at the Datel adapter but that seems to give only an input for the headphones, not for the mic.
Anyone?

595 too pricey? You can get them for 125 or 150.. Forgot your budget..

post #25 of 10626 Old 08-22-2007, 10:35 PM

I'm very curious about possibly going the JVC 5.1 adapter / quality headphones route.

My question is this: how well does the 2 channel audio simulate a surround field. I know that we have two ears, and that we use phase matching, delay, pitch changes, etc, to figure out where a sound is coming from in space, but... isn't that sort of thing very individualized to your particular... well... /head?/

How does a system like this work? Do you calibrate it, listening to various sounds and making adjustments until you hear a full sound field?

Edited to add:

Also, if I was going this route, my total budget would be ~ 450 US dollars or under for the JVC adapter and a good set of headphones. The Wife would really appreciate it if I could play games without her hearing them.

As always, thanks for taking the time to read whatever I've posted above this signature.
post #26 of 10626 Old 08-23-2007, 02:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI View Post

595 too pricey? You can get them for 125 or 150.. Forgot your budget..

I spend quite some time pricescanning the web. Lowest quote's: $90 for the 555 and $160 for the 595. Please PM if you know where to get it for $125.

I am still wondering how to connect it all. I want to connect the XBOX360 to a computer monitor using VGA, and the headphones/clip on mic somehow also straight to the XBOX or controller.

Sibilance: obviously I have no personal experience with the 5.1 adapter. However, the reviews you find on the web are 95% very positive. Here you can download the instructions manual:
http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?model...hId=135&page=1
post #27 of 10626 Old 08-23-2007, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

Interesting as well: Turtle Beach Ear Force X3
http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/efx3/home.aspx
post #28 of 10626 Old 08-23-2007, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

buy.com has the Tritton's on sale (after MIR) for $79.95 today.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...=17653#cRevSec

~Bill
post #29 of 10626 Old 08-23-2007, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKen View Post

buy.com has the Tritton's on sale (after MIR) for $79.95 today.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...=17653#cRevSec

Thanks! I ordered a pair.
post #30 of 10626 Old 08-23-2007, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Edumacate here please... I have a set of Pioneer cans with which I use the Optical tos link connector. Where does the Zalman mic connect to use with 360 gaming?

Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page