Why is VGA blurry with my hdtv.........? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-02-2007, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I dont get it. VGA suppose to be superior over component. Is it my tv? I can only choose 1360x768 with my tv. But if I use component and pick 720p. Its a crisp image. Using VGA the image isnt sharp/blurred. Is this a tv issue? Maybe it just doesnt handle vga well with the 360? Its a Samsung LN-T3253H.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-02-2007, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
some tv's handle VGA differently than others. from what i've seen it's about 50/50, some users praise VGA, others praise component. VGA guy myself here.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #3 of 10 Old 09-03-2007, 07:08 AM
A.C
Advanced Member

is your VGA adaptor 1st or 3rd party? i've read that the gap in quality is large. i considered a super cheap ebay VGA adaptor until i read their PQ was garbage.

XBL: HiFi Buckeye
PSN: hifibuckeye
post #4 of 10 Old 09-03-2007, 07:20 AM

Basically what the first two posters said. I had to go into my service mode for my LG 32LC2D to look good. The colors seemed muted to me. I had 32" Sammy for a short period and I also thought that pc looked muted(colors) when I was hooked up through VGA. Even though my LG only does 1024x768 VGA after the tweaking it looks pretty good. FYI I also use Microsoft VGA cable for my 360.

XBL Gamer Tag : RocketKnight73 / xFRiT0 BANDiT0x
Fanboys = 30 year old men still living in their parents basements..Or dudes that have ZERO chance of gettin' some...
post #5 of 10 Old 09-03-2007, 07:30 AM

This is a little off topic from the original question, but I have a VGA problem as well.....

I just hooked my 360 up to my rommate's tv (Samsung 4053H) over VGA; which we had been running through component.

Now the tv is giving a "Mode not Supported" message after starting up the 360.

I had the screen resolution set to 1280 X 720 when I had it connected to my pc monitor; his tv is 1366 X 768. Could this be what's causing the error message?

We know his PC input is working because he just had his computer hooked up to it this morning.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-03-2007, 07:37 AM

First, you should be using Microsoft's 1st party VGA cable to ensure the highest quality.

Second, you will need to purchase a calibration DVD like Avia to get the most out of your VGA connection. When I calibrated my TV using Avia for both component and VGA connections on my 360, I noticed that they use different settings. What may look good in component doesn't necessarily apply to VGA, so VGA connections have to be tweaked to remove problems such as blurry colors. It's worth it though for the upscaled DVDs.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-03-2007, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I got this squared away now. I actually have the ms official vga cable and the monster vga cable. Currently using the monster vga cable. All settings are locked out. The only thing I can adjust is contrast and brightness. I found some options that said to auto adjust the signal and what not. Went ahead and ran that. Its fine now. Partly what it is. I think when component fires up. The screen looks so bright because of the colors are popping out like crazy. Way to bright. Vga basically calibrates all your colors for you without having to do it yourself. It looks awesome now. I will not go back to component.

P.S. To King84,

About the mode not being supported. Its correct. When I had mine hooked up to my pc monitor. I went ahead and selected 1360x768. That way it would be plug and play. No other resolutions work. I tried 1280x720 and that said mode not supported. Dont quote me on it. Im pretty sure lastnite just for the heck of it. I was messing with other resolutions just to see how the tv would react and the 1080p resolution worked. But your best bet is 1360x768 if its native 1366x768. Hope that helps.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-03-2007, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King84 View Post

This is a little off topic from the original question, but I have a VGA problem as well.....

I just hooked my 360 up to my rommate's tv (Samsung 4053H) over VGA; which we had been running through component.

Now the tv is giving a "Mode not Supported" message after starting up the 360.

I had the screen resolution set to 1280 X 720 when I had it connected to my pc monitor; his tv is 1366 X 768. Could this be what's causing the error message?

We know his PC input is working because he just had his computer hooked up to it this morning.

I used to have that problem! You need to restart you 360 settings!!! You have to press a couple of buttons on your controllers unfortonetly I forgot what they were. Hopefully someone else remembers! Or just call MS!
post #9 of 10 Old 09-03-2007, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoRn View Post

P.S. To King84,

About the mode not being supported. Its correct. When I had mine hooked up to my pc monitor. I went ahead and selected 1360x768. That way it would be plug and play. No other resolutions work. I tried 1280x720 and that said mode not supported. Dont quote me on it. Im pretty sure lastnite just for the heck of it. I was messing with other resolutions just to see how the tv would react and the 1080p resolution worked. But your best bet is 1360x768 if its native 1366x768. Hope that helps.

So all I need to do is connect the 360 to a PC monitor and select 1360x768 so it will "save" that setting for when I reconnect to the tv? Sounds easy enough. Surprised to hear about the 1080p resolution, but it's worth a try.
Thanks for the help and glad to hear you got your VGA issue worked out; and I agree with you, now that I've played the 360 over VGA I doubt I'll ever go back to component unless it's an emergency.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-03-2007, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You can either do it that way or what NOFX said. I cant remember the button sequence myself. Yeah man. I hear you on vga. Its razor sharp. I would even go as far as saying it looks like screen shots you see on the back of the boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King84 View Post

So all I need to do is connect the 360 to a PC monitor and select 1360x768 so it will "save" that setting for when I reconnect to the tv? Sounds easy enough. Surprised to hear about the 1080p resolution, but it's worth a try.
Thanks for the help and glad to hear you got your VGA issue worked out; and I agree with you, now that I've played the 360 over VGA I doubt I'll ever go back to component unless it's an emergency.

Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page